Is a resume recommended?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zicker1352
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Is a resume recommended?

Postby zicker1352 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:57 pm

I was wondering if it is in my best interest to attach a resume to my law school application. The application itself says it is optional, but does everyone just do it?

Also, if I should attach one, do I need to focus on reworking my current resume? I have an up to date resume I use for applying for jobs, scholarships, etc.

Thanks!!

User avatar
danielhay11
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Is a resume recommended?

Postby danielhay11 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:34 pm

zicker1352 wrote:I was wondering if it is in my best interest to attach a resume to my law school application. The application itself says it is optional, but does everyone just do it?

Also, if I should attach one, do I need to focus on reworking my current resume? I have an up to date resume I use for applying for jobs, scholarships, etc.

Thanks!!


Yes. Resumes might as well be required. Although the importance of the resume pales in comparison to your #s.

Just remember your audience, as you would with any application that requires a resume (job, school, other). Emphasize what they care about (leadership potential, communication skills, etc). Cut off everything pre-college, perhaps even pre-junior year. I split my resume into education, work experience, and student leadership/volunteer work. There are other templates out there, though. No one right way to do it.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Is a resume recommended?

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:35 pm

danielhay11 wrote:perhaps even pre-junior year.


Why would you do that?

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Is a resume recommended?

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:21 pm

minnbills wrote:
danielhay11 wrote:perhaps even pre-junior year.


Why would you do that?


Depends on how old you are and how many accomplishments/WE/etc you have. A concise resume is important.

Brag on yourself in a resume, but brag with brevity ;)

User avatar
danielhay11
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Is a resume recommended?

Postby danielhay11 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:41 pm

minnbills wrote:
danielhay11 wrote:perhaps even pre-junior year.


Why would you do that?


Well it depends on the applicant. I probably should have been clearer: absolutely nothing from HS; underclassmen stuff is a matter of discretion.

If you're just out of UG or if you did something truly exceptional as a frosh or soph, by all means include it. But if you have some WE or if you're most significant internships/jobs/leadership roles occurred as an upperclassman, focus on those things. You shouldn't feel the need to catalogue every odd job and deputy assistant director role in a student org (unless of course you kept that odd job through college, or if you eventually became the director of that student org with deputy assistant directors of your own - again, all relative).

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Is a resume recommended?

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Well certainly if you have enough w/e etc. you should cut off earlier things. I just wanted to make sure OP didn't get the wrong message.

zicker1352
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: Is a resume recommended?

Postby zicker1352 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks for the answers everyone.

As a follow-up, one of the schools I am applying to through LSAC does not request a resume, even under the optional section. There is a section that is called miscellaneous, should I attach it there or just not submit a resume for this school?

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Is a resume recommended?

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:16 pm

zicker1352 wrote:Thanks for the answers everyone.

As a follow-up, one of the schools I am applying to through LSAC does not request a resume, even under the optional section. There is a section that is called miscellaneous, should I attach it there or just not submit a resume for this school?


Submit it just to be safe. Good luck!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Euthyphro, sonyco and 6 guests