Asian American representation at YHSColumbia Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prospect2014

New

Re: Asian American representation at YHSColumbia

Post by prospect2014 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Last edited by prospect2014 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Not that I want to clarify just to be mean, but I don't like misconceptions any more than you do:
prospect2014 wrote:OK this is understandable. Nothing to do with me personally, more with any stranger talking about this type of subject matter. I rarely participate in internet discussions because most seem to be a waste of time, so when I do speak up, it's usually about something meaningful (to me, at least).
Ehhh you are too intense for me.

Now I am a bit unsure how, on a practical level, this whole thing will even pan out for you. Would you then score lower? Not apply to the school? lol -- funny that other internet discussions seem like a waste of time to you but not this one. But okay, I'll bite. There was this one study I read (can't find the source atm) that mentioned how some of the Ivy's have an implicit ceiling for Asians at 20% so that those schools never break it (and certainly not for lack of interest from Asians! lol). Yet non-Ivy's of similar standing (Berkeley, Stanford???, MIT??? -- sorry, I read this thing awhile ago) did not have this same ceiling. This was not law school specific, however, so take it for what it's worth.

I would take the word of pretty much everyone in this thread that law school adcomms do not hold back Asian Americans like they do in ugrad. From LSN and pretty much all available sources, there just hasn't been strong evidence in support of it happening. Asians seem to be treated the same as Whites when it comes to law school apps. Your weird manipulation of numbers thing might not come out to perfect results for you, but at best it is an approximation. If your numbers are just off by a bit, then that could still mean the barriers are non-existent. If they are off by a lot, that means you probably messed up big somewhere because no one has observed large discrepancies in the cycles.

Finally, just being on campus, I see noticeably more Asians than African Americans. My section had 3 African Americans and 14 Asians (but once again, I heard my section had more Asians than most).

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:42 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:Not that I want to clarify just to be mean, but I don't like misconceptions any more than you do:
prospect2014 wrote:OK this is understandable. Nothing to do with me personally, more with any stranger talking about this type of subject matter. I rarely participate in internet discussions because most seem to be a waste of time, so when I do speak up, it's usually about something meaningful (to me, at least).
Ehhh you are too intense for me.

Now I am a bit unsure how, on a practical level, this whole thing will even pan out for you. Would you then score lower? Not apply to the school? lol -- funny that other internet discussions seem like a waste of time to you but not this one. But okay, I'll bite. There was this one study I read (can't find the source atm) that mentioned how some of the Ivy's have an implicit ceiling for Asians at 20% so that those schools never break it (and certainly not for lack of interest from Asians! lol). Yet non-Ivy's of similar standing (Berkeley, Stanford???, MIT??? -- sorry, I read this thing awhile ago) did not have this same ceiling. This was not law school specific, however, so take it for what it's worth.

I would take the word of pretty much everyone in this thread that law school adcomms do not hold back Asian Americans like they do in ugrad. From LSN and pretty much all available sources, there just hasn't been strong evidence in support of it happening. Asians seem to be treated the same as Whites when it comes to law school apps. Your weird manipulation of numbers thing might not come out to perfect results for you, but at best it is an approximation. If your numbers are just off by a bit, then that could still mean the barriers are non-existent. If they are off by a lot, that means you probably messed up big somewhere because no one has observed large discrepancies in the cycles.

Finally, just being on campus, I see noticeably more Asians than African Americans. My section had 3 African Americans and 14 Asians (but once again, I heard my section had more Asians than most).

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/edito ... americans/

prospect2014

New

Post by prospect2014 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Last edited by prospect2014 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:10 pm

This thread really ought to be locked. This guy is getting out of hand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prospect2014

New

Post by prospect2014 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 pm

Last edited by prospect2014 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:06 am

Socially inappropriate or socially odd behavior (closer in line to how I imagine in irl, if this thread is any indication) relies more heavily on the person than the topic, but the topic is of course still a part of it. How deeply you've chosen to dig into this topic is odd behavior, imo, and the focus really should be more on how you keep digging in this way rather than the subject matter. Context always matters for social acts. If this were, I don't know, a made-up committee meeting trying to determine whether certain law schools were discriminating against Asian Americans in the admission process, then this level of detail on seemingly pointless minutiae would seem a lot more justified (and more importantly, normal). Don't get me wrong OP, I am not saying I would not like you irl; I'd just rather avoid meeting you because it seems like hanging out with you would seem more like work than fun (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not what I would be looking for lol).

Sorry, I mentioned the study again to emphasize that Ivy's (ugrad and grad) may be different than other schools -- like a tradition of being a greater barrier to Asian Americans. If so, it should be slight and possibly not even conscious.

About your approximations, fine. Let's just call it an imperfect process. Keep in mind that there are probably fewer (proportionally) Asian Americans applying to law schools than undergrad. I don't have stats or figures for this, just sort of common sense lol. Engineering and health fields suck away a disproportionate amount. Not sure if this would affect the numbers in law school admissions, but it could.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to links, etc. Best I can say is the search function on this forum -- will take a lot of work to sift through it all though.

And finally, yes I would say the difference does not seem slight to me, and seems closer to 16:11. Maybe 15:11? You know what I mean.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”