Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheSpanishMain

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Hahahahahaaha...I do like listening to a stilted, overly formal script while someone talks to me in profile.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:03 am

I've got a few questions,

I see that in classes that have been retaken, the original as well as the new grade will be factored. On my transcripts the original grade is now an "R" for retake. I had a no-notice trip and had to drop the class part way through, and ended up retaking it. How will that "R" be factored?

For transcript requests, do I send that via snail mail? Can I email it? Does it matter? Do I send it to them, and then ask them to send it to LSAC, or do they already know what to do once they get it?

Do I need to send CCAF transcripts? CLEP transcripts? CCAF and CLEP do not really give letter grades, how will that effect my GPA?

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:09 am

FairchildFLT wrote:I've got a few questions,

I see that in classes that have been retaken, the original as well as the new grade will be factored. On my transcripts the original grade is now an "R" for retake. I had a no-notice trip and had to drop the class part way through, and ended up retaking it. How will that "R" be factored?

For transcript requests, do I send that via snail mail? Can I email it? Does it matter? Do I send it to them, and then ask them to send it to LSAC, or do they already know what to do once they get it?

Do I need to send CCAF transcripts? CLEP transcripts? CCAF and CLEP do not really give letter grades, how will that effect my GPA?

Scratch the first question, I always seem to find it right after I ask. "...if the course units and grades appear on the transcript."

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:53 am

There's a transcript request form that you download from the LSAC site, fill out, and then mail, e-mail, or fax to your college(s) along with whatever payment and other forms your college requires. Then your college pulls your transcript, attaches it to the request form, and sends it to LSAC.

If your CCAF/CLEP credits didn't result in letter grades, they won't affect your LSDAS GPA. Just make sure that the credits at least show up on your transcripts.

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:47 am

ScottRiqui wrote:

There's a transcript request form that you download from the LSAC site, fill out, and then mail, e-mail, or fax to your college(s) along with whatever payment and other forms your college requires. Then your college pulls your transcript, attaches it to the request form, and sends it to LSAC.

If your CCAF/CLEP credits didn't result in letter grades, they won't affect your LSDAS GPA. Just make sure that the credits at least show up on your transcripts.

Even though this wasn't my question, thanks for the info!

tjsmms061906

Postby tjsmms061906 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Kevinlomax wrote:Friendly Reminder:

Make sure you ask about Fee Waivers for Veterans. I have "TheSpanishMain" to thank for this... I sent emails to admissions out about 2 hours ago and have 5 fee waivers already.

I just stated I was applying this cycle and I could provide my paperwork if necessary.

I received over 20 fee waivers just by emailing and asking. Saved me a bunch of money! Check out my LSN profile: tjsmms061906 and you can see which schools offer military fee waivers.

senafront

Postby senafront » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:46 am

Hi everyone, glad to see a Veterans' thread.

I'm wondering what schools would be reasonable to expect admission to and also money from, so I've included a snapshot with the most relevant information for admissions. Getting some money is important to me because I think I have 1 1/2 years GI Bill left, but I am also applying to T14 places just because I am curious if I can get in.

My numbers are 169/3.28
E5 in the Army Reserves (2002-2010)
One year OIF (2005 in Ramadi)
Deferred prosecution for theft 5 years ago
Bachelor of Fine Arts 2011

Schools I am thinking of applying to:
Harvard
Columbia
(The above are my just for funsies ones)
UVA
Michigan
UT Austin
UCLA
USC
Alabama
Minnesota
Iowa
Indiana
Washington
Madison
OSU
Arizona
ASU
Florida

Is this a reasonable list? Should I try to include more schools toward the bottom or more towards the top? I will later post where I get in and don't, of course.

nontrad2014

Postby nontrad2014 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 am

Schools that waive application fees for Vets' (not all inclusive):
Lewis and Clark
ASU
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Colorado
Denver
UCONN
FIU
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Tulane
Richmond
Widener
William and Mary

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:58 am

nontrad2014 wrote:Schools that waive application fees for Vets' (not all inclusive):
Lewis and Clark
ASU
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Colorado
Denver
UCONN
FIU
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Tulane
Richmond
Widener
William and Mary

Putting in the OP

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:48 am

SemperLegal wrote:
nontrad2014 wrote:Schools that waive application fees for Vets' (not all inclusive):
Lewis and Clark
ASU
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Colorado
Denver
UCONN
FIU
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Tulane
Richmond
Widener
William and Mary

Putting in the OP

You can add...

UVA
NYU
Chicago
Georgetown
University of Washington
Berkeley

I'm pretty sure that Duke and Penn offer military fee waivers too, but I got my fee waived for other reasons before I could ask. NU offered a fee waiver to everybody this year, so I don't know about them

Columbia, Michigan, and Cornell do NOT offer military fee waivers. I don't think Harvard, Yale, or Stanford do either, but I can't confirm that.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:17 am

Duke didn't offer them last year, but it could be different this year.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 am

senafront wrote:Hi everyone, glad to see a Veterans' thread.

I'm wondering what schools would be reasonable to expect admission to and also money from, so I've included a snapshot with the most relevant information for admissions. Getting some money is important to me because I think I have 1 1/2 years GI Bill left, but I am also applying to T14 places just because I am curious if I can get in.

My numbers are 169/3.28

Harvard
Columbia
UVA
Michigan
UT Austin
UCLA
USC
Alabama
Minnesota
Iowa
Indiana
Washington
Madison
OSU
Arizona
ASU
Florida

Is this a reasonable list? Should I try to include more schools toward the bottom or more towards the top? I will later post where I get in and don't, of course.

The list isn't bad, but personally I think you should cut off toward the bottom and beef up top. You'll probably get some schollies if you work at it on the top (minus Harvard and Columbia, which will be ultimately for funsies). Use other acceptances at Cornell, NU, etc. to work toward money at others.

At the bottom (read anything below USC IMO), only apply to regional schools where you have some connection, where you can go for super cheap and would want to work in the area afterward.

USMarineLaw

Postby USMarineLaw » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:06 am

Duke didn't give me a fee waiver for veteran status; they said they'll only grant them for need-based applicants who fill out a request form, or those that have an LSAC fee waiver.

You can add these schools to the fee waiver list as well:

George Washington
Emory
Vanderbilt

Edit: No fee waiver from Harvard either.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:11 am

Does anyone know the average amount of yellow ribbon being used at law schools? For example smu offers 10 YRP slots for every year, is there a way to tell how many are being used currently and how many are left?

Are they usually filled?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:19 am

Kevinlomax wrote:Does anyone know the average amount of yellow ribbon being used at law schools? For example smu offers 10 YRP slots for every year, is there a way to tell how many are being used currently and how many are left?

Are they usually filled?

It varies, and your best bet is to discuss this with the Financial Aid office after you're admitted.

nontrad2014

Postby nontrad2014 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:32 pm

Lewis and Clark
ASU
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Colorado
Denver
UCONN
FIU
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Tulane
Richmond
Widener
William and Mary

Also:
Wyoming
Montana
Penn State
UMASS

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:50 pm

nontrad2014 wrote:
Lewis and Clark
ASU
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Colorado
Denver
UCONN
FIU
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Tulane
Richmond
Widener
William and Mary

Also:
Wyoming
Montana
Penn State
UMASS

Updated. If anyone else has anything else they would like to ad, or wants a poll, tell me,

tjsmms061906

Postby tjsmms061906 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:24 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
nontrad2014 wrote:
Lewis and Clark
ASU
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Colorado
Denver
UCONN
FIU
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Tulane
Richmond
Widener
William and Mary

Also:
Wyoming
Montana
Penn State
UMASS

Updated. If anyone else has anything else they would like to ad, or wants a poll, tell me,

WUSTL
Cardozo
George Mason
Loyola Chicago
Wisconsin
U Washington
CUA
Rutgers Newark
Columbia
Georgetown
OSU
American
Brooklyn
UVA

I will add that I received all my military fee waivers in September and I did include a copy of my ID with certain information redacted. Some schools took a while to get back to me (i.e. Notre Dame took a month to sent me a code.)

tjsmms061906

Postby tjsmms061906 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:28 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:Does anyone know the average amount of yellow ribbon being used at law schools? For example smu offers 10 YRP slots for every year, is there a way to tell how many are being used currently and how many are left?

Are they usually filled?

It varies, and your best bet is to discuss this with the Financial Aid office after you're admitted.

Wisconsin showed only 2 slots but it turns out I was the first person to ever ask about them. A low number does not mean low chances. Speak to the Veteran Liaison for the school (it's usually one person that does the eligibility certification).

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Last edited by chneyo on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:01 am

Are there any formatting guides for personal statements as well as resumes? I've done both before for my OTS application (too bad the Air Force decided to cancel the boards this year) but I don't think they're exactly the same.

Thanks in advance!

nontrad2014

Postby nontrad2014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:19 am

FairchildFLT wrote:Are there any formatting guides for personal statements as well as resumes? I've done both before for my OTS application (too bad the Air Force decided to cancel the boards this year) but I don't think they're exactly the same.

Thanks in advance!

Formatting for law school applications?

nontrad2014

Postby nontrad2014 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:23 am

nontrad2014 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:Are there any formatting guides for personal statements as well as resumes? I've done both before for my OTS application (too bad the Air Force decided to cancel the boards this year) but I don't think they're exactly the same.

Thanks in advance!

Formatting for law school applications?

If that's the case I am more than happy to send you my law school resume. It's 180 degrees off from my standard resume and only learned the intricate details because my law professor coached (edited) my drafts.

agglomeration

Postby agglomeration » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:31 pm

nontrad2014 wrote:
Lewis and Clark
ASU
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Colorado
Denver
UCONN
FIU
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Tulane
Richmond
Widener
William and Mary

Also:
Wyoming
Montana
Penn State
UMASS

Also...
NYU
Columbia

Brlong

Postby Brlong » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 am

senafront wrote:Hi everyone, glad to see a Veterans' thread.

My numbers are 169/3.28

Harvard
Columbia
UVA
Michigan
UT Austin
UCLA
USC
Alabama
Minnesota
Iowa
Indiana
Washington
Madison
OSU
Arizona
ASU
Florida

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but if you're really concerned about saving money, you might want to be more realistic about what schools you're applying to in the first place. I'm not one to tell someone what to do, but facts and hard evidence support the reality that with your numbers, Harvard and Columbia are not within reach and you'd be throwing your money away. I understand it's just for fun, but you're also taking up those administrators time and spending money that could go towards other realistic applications.

On a separate note, I was in Ramadi in '05 as well so glad to see another vet on here that made it out of that shit hole!

Best of luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”