Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Brlong

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Brlong » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Hopefully your military and volunteer service can offset your score and GPA. Best of luck!

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:50 am

nontrad2014 wrote:I am currently in my second year of law school at a non-ABA school, and submitted my first applications for traditional law school in the fall.

My numbers are making this a crap shoot so looking for that miracle this year.
GPA 2.47
LSAT 152
Current law school GPA 2.62 (unweighted or curved)

I don't understand. Are you applying as a transfer student?

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
nontrad2014 wrote:I am currently in my second year of law school at a non-ABA school, and submitted my first applications for traditional law school in the fall.

GPA 2.47
LSAT 152

Also, are you saying that you've got a 2.6 average at a law school that doesn't have a forced curve? Do you know where that puts you in terms of class rank?

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:41 pm

I have a weird question;

I see that LSAC summarizes your transcript to include your GPA. Does that mean LSAC will determine what my GPA is, and not my undergraduate institution? Also, I attended community college before transfering to a University. The classes just shows up as transfer credit, without a grade. Will I need to request those transcripts as well?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

GPA 2.47
LSAT 152

Also, are you saying that you've got a 2.6 average at a law school that doesn't have a forced curve? Do you know where that puts you in terms of class rank?

Yeahhh....I mean, far be from me to pontificate since I'm not starting till the fall, but this might be one situation where law is the not the way to go. I can't imagine any decent offers coming considering that LSAT score, uGPA, and law GPA.

FairchildFLT wrote:I have a weird question;

I see that LSAC summarizes your transcript to include your GPA. Does that mean LSAC will determine what my GPA is, and not my undergraduate institution? Also, I attended community college before transfering to a University. The classes just shows up as transfer credit, without a grade. Will I need to request those transcripts as well?

Yeah, LSAC will calculate your GPA, and yeah, they'll count your community college courses.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:17 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:I have a weird question;

Yeah, LSAC will calculate your GPA, and yeah, they'll count your community college courses.[/quote]

I went to a CC that only used A, B, C, D, F....no plus or minus. I took 7 classes there when I was 17 and got 5 B's and two A's. Meh, that will only drop my GPA to a 3.43. Not as bad as I thought.

nontrad2014

Postby nontrad2014 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:38 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:

GPA 2.47
LSAT 152

No. Coming in as a 1L.

nontrad2014

Postby nontrad2014 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:45 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

GPA 2.47
LSAT 152

In terms of class rank I am near the top (10-15%). The average GPA for a 1L is below a 2.0 (many fail out). The curve is frustrating, seems like a way to weed many out and/or force you to stay, but it hurts those of us who do well. If it was curved I'd be above a 3.0 easily.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Damn, that place sounds like an awful dumpster fire of a place. No wonder you want out.

nontrad2014

Postby nontrad2014 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:54 pm

I understand where you're coming from. I often wonder that myself, but the reality is I am 1.) not looking for a good offer, but simply one acceptance; 2.) I can't change a GPA that is going on nine years old, acquired while working full-time, and earned starting as a teenager with a career locked in; 3.) LSAT I have to study for (hard to when in the middle of classes and with a 15 month old); 4.) Law GPA looks bad, but in reality is strong for the school.

You live, learn, and make new/better decisions. Time will tell.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:56 pm

Yeah, I hear ya. Hopefully you have the post 9/11 to keep costs down. Best of luck.

nontrad2014

Postby nontrad2014 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:16 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Yeah, I hear ya. Hopefully you have the post 9/11 to keep costs down. Best of luck.

Thanks brother. I am using voc rehab and they agreed to keep me on even if I transfer. I lucked out with a great counselor. Best of luck to you as well.

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:04 am

Last edited by chneyo on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:24 am

Just a heads up for those of us who still have access to the exchanges- if you go online http://shop.aafes.com/shop/search/default.aspx?freeText|80366.7369513=allen%20edmonds&cm_re=A-_-Header-_-Search you can get some really great deals on Allen Edmonds shoes, including the gold standard Park Avenues for $100 off their normal price. Still kind of pricey, but might be worth grabbing a pair before getting out if OCI is in your future.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:40 am

AfghanTourist wrote:Just a heads up for those of us who still have access to the exchanges- if you go online http://shop.aafes.com/shop/search/default.aspx?freeText|80366.7369513=allen%20edmonds&cm_re=A-_-Header-_-Search you can get some really great deals on Allen Edmonds shoes, including the gold standard Park Avenues for $100 off their normal price. Still kind of pricey, but might be worth grabbing a pair before getting out if OCI is in your future.

Great link - thanks!

uvandy

Postby uvandy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:51 am

No love for Bates? :mrgreen:

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:01 am

uvandy wrote:No love for Bates? :mrgreen:

I'd laugh, but I'm sure someone, somewhere has interviewed for a law job wearing Corframs.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:04 am

My first day as a government employee. A bright eyed, bushy tailed 23 year old GS-7 and an Army Reserve officer. I'm walking in to a large DOD facility in DC to inprocess. Next to me is a recently retired lieutenant colonel, beginning his first day as a GS employee.

He is wearing a suit. With the pants bloused.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:My first day as a government employee. A bright eyed, bushy tailed 23 year old GS-7 and an Army Reserve officer. I'm walking in to a large DOD facility in DC to inprocess. Next to me is a recently retired lieutenant colonel, beginning his first day as a GS employee.

No...he couldn't have...could he? That's so much worse than Corframs; I don't even know where to begin.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:17 am

It was amazing. The military can truly eat peoples' brains after a few decades.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:My first day as a government employee. A bright eyed, bushy tailed 23 year old GS-7 and an Army Reserve officer. I'm walking in to a large DOD facility in DC to inprocess. Next to me is a recently retired lieutenant colonel, beginning his first day as a GS employee.

Pics or it didn't happen.

But seriously, was he wearing boots with the suit? Or did he just blouse them up at the tops of his socks?

Still, that's not as bad as the soup sandwich O4 Navy MD who showed up to her first day of work in pajamas, a robe and fluffy pink slippers.

Which transition is more ridiculous, in or out?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Decimus wrote:

Or did he just blouse them up at the tops of his socks?

This one. To be fair, it had been raining the night before, so there were a few puddles, and I GUESS (really trying to be generous here) he could have been trying to be extra sure his pants wouldn't get wet. Still, he was using blousing bands. It looked hilarious.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:39 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Decimus wrote:

Or did he just blouse them up at the tops of his socks?

This one. To be fair, it had been raining the night before, so there were a few puddles, and I GUESS (really trying to be generous here) he could have been trying to be extra sure his pants wouldn't get wet. Still, he was using blousing bands. It looked hilarious.

I don't care about becoming an attorney anymore. This has fulfilled all me hopes and dreams. Hinges suck. JOPA up ;)

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Friendly Reminder:

Make sure you ask about Fee Waivers for Veterans. I have "TheSpanishMain" to thank for this... I sent emails to admissions out about 2 hours ago and have 5 fee waivers already.

I just stated I was applying this cycle and I could provide my paperwork if necessary.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:54 pm

chneyo wrote:So I just found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISMX1jbXm4

and have to wonder if the poor kid made it.

Anyone else making a military version of the Elle Woods admission video?

wtf....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”