Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:15 pm

skzen75 wrote:Question for all of you: Would you submit paperwork for a YRP slot to a school that you aren't 100% committed to attending?

Only if they had a limited number of spots available.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Does anyone know what page that YRP spread sheet is on? OP, could you add it to the first post?

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:29 pm


JazzyMac
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby JazzyMac » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:55 am

I did a rough estimate of all my grades and find that I'm way below my graduating GPA. Is there any way that I can take courses now to assist in boosting my overall average? I did a couple of searches, but wasn't clear since most folks haven't graduated. I got my undergrad in 2008.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:33 am

JazzyMac wrote:I did a rough estimate of all my grades and find that I'm way below my graduating GPA. Is there any way that I can take courses now to assist in boosting my overall average? I did a couple of searches, but wasn't clear since most folks haven't graduated. I got my undergrad in 2008.


Your LSDAS GPA that LSAC calculates is frozen at the moment that you receive your first bachelor's degree. Any courses taken after that point don't change the GPA that law schools will be looking at.

JazzyMac
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby JazzyMac » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:51 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:I did a rough estimate of all my grades and find that I'm way below my graduating GPA. Is there any way that I can take courses now to assist in boosting my overall average? I did a couple of searches, but wasn't clear since most folks haven't graduated. I got my undergrad in 2008.


Your LSDAS GPA that LSAC calculates is frozen at the moment that you receive your first bachelor's degree. Any courses taken after that point don't change the GPA that law schools will be looking at.


Thanks a lot! While I'm hoping to compete for a top school, I shudder at the thought of going back to more classes just for an A. Brrr.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:30 am

twobitrye wrote:I've been so focused on applications that I haven't looked much into how scholarships pair with the GI Bill. Posts higher up on this thread make it pretty clear that the VA is the payer of last resort, but I'm wondering if there's any way for a school to postpone scholarship money until after the GI Bill runs out. If I had two years left of benefits and I were to get a scholarship for, say, 5k a year, would it be reasonable to ask a school to put all of that into the third year so that I could maximize my vet benefits while they still last?

Sort of a bizarre question, but I figured this would be the place to ask it.



That's an intresting idea. I would call them and ask.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:22 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
twobitrye wrote:I've been so focused on applications that I haven't looked much into how scholarships pair with the GI Bill. Posts higher up on this thread make it pretty clear that the VA is the payer of last resort, but I'm wondering if there's any way for a school to postpone scholarship money until after the GI Bill runs out. If I had two years left of benefits and I were to get a scholarship for, say, 5k a year, would it be reasonable to ask a school to put all of that into the third year so that I could maximize my vet benefits while they still last?

Sort of a bizarre question, but I figured this would be the place to ask it.



That's an intresting idea. I would call them and ask.


Calling is the best bet, but my gut instinct is that the school will balk at the idea of "moving" scholarship money from fiscal year to fiscal year. That just sounds like an accounting PITA.

User avatar
esypsylmnsqsy
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:02 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby esypsylmnsqsy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:08 pm

So, how about them new BAH rates :D .

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:19 pm

esypsylmnsqsy wrote:So, how about them new BAH rates :D .


I got excited when I heard how much the typical BAH was going up, but mine only increased $3. Actually, I guess I should check how it changed at my law school's ZIP code, since that's going to be what matters for the next three years.

ETA - went up almost $200/month. Woot!

User avatar
esypsylmnsqsy
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:02 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby esypsylmnsqsy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:29 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
esypsylmnsqsy wrote:So, how about them new BAH rates :D .


I got excited when I heard how much the typical BAH was going up, but mine only increased $3. Actually, I guess I should check how it changed at my law school's ZIP code, since that's going to be what matters for the next three years.

ETA - went up almost $200/month. Woot!


Nice! I checked a few metro areas and the ones I looked at all had pretty substantial increases.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Bad ass! Mine went up $138!

underwear
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby underwear » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:12 am

Army noncom checking in.
Awaiting December LSAT to post for Fall '14 admissions (no choice in this).
3.2 LSDAS gpa @ a top public and would be lucky if I broke 160.
TTTT here I come.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:09 pm

underwear wrote:Army noncom checking in.
Awaiting December LSAT to post for Fall '14 admissions (no choice in this).
3.2 LSDAS gpa @ a top public and would be lucky if I broke 160.
TTTT here I come.

If you break 160 you'll have some lower T1 and upper T2 options. Do you still have the gi bill?

ArcticDeckie
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ArcticDeckie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:17 pm

I know it's on the early side, but how is the application season going for everyone? For me: can't complain, but still eagerly awaiting some replies:

American: In
George Mason: In with $
Fordham: Pending
GW: Pending
GULC: Deferred to RD, pending

GW's 'entering class profile' points out that it includes seven veterans, which I'll take as a good sign.

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby chneyo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:35 pm

...
Last edited by chneyo on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

underwear
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby underwear » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:26 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
underwear wrote:Army noncom checking in.
Awaiting December LSAT to post for Fall '14 admissions (no choice in this).
3.2 LSDAS gpa @ a top public and would be lucky if I broke 160.
TTTT here I come.

If you break 160 you'll have some lower T1 and upper T2 options. Do you still have the gi bill?

Yup, have about 1-2 years left.
(EDIT) hmmm. we have similar numbers... that is if I can hit 160.

User avatar
encore1101
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby encore1101 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:06 am

USMC E-5 Sergeant, from 2006-2010, MOS 1731 Combat Engineer
2 deployments OIF

Finishing up my 3rd year of law school with an eye towards prosecution/criminal justice. My school participates in the Yellow Ribbon program up to $55,000 which means free ride with the Post-9/11 :D

JazzyMac
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby JazzyMac » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:21 pm

encore1101 wrote:USMC E-5 Sergeant, from 2006-2010, MOS 1731 Combat Engineer
2 deployments OIF

Finishing up my 3rd year of law school with an eye towards prosecution/criminal justice. My school participates in the Yellow Ribbon program up to $55,000 which means free ride with the Post-9/11 :D



Okay...what school are you attending?

JazzyMac
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby JazzyMac » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:20 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:I understand what you're saying now. Good points and good plans.

So what schools are everyone (retired military) applying to? Why did you decide to go to LS after the military? Do you all think you're "cut out" for law?

Tell me everything the proverbial they say not to put in applications. :)


Well, I'm retiring in May after 20 years, and going back to Arlington, Texas. That's home for me, and my parents are 79 & 81, so I'll want to be close by when their health starts failing. That means that I'm pretty much just looking at SMU and UT. Two years ago, I wouldn't have had a shot at UT with my uGPA, but there may be a snowball's chance now.

Planning on getting into IP/Patent law. My undergraduate was computer science & engineering, and the Navy sent me for a master's in applied physics a few years ago, so I have the scientific background required to take the patent bar. I'm hoping that because the specialized education requirements for IP, the market won't be quite as saturated as other areas of law, and that it will help when it comes to finding a job. I've had a little bit of legal exposure while in the Navy (legal officer in a couple of my squadrons), and the structure/order of it appealed to me - that's mainly why I'm going to law school.

Have you had TAP class yet? They'll cover résumés and interviewing in detail, and a lot of the advice is applicable when doing your applications/personal statement/etc.

My biggest advice would be not to rule out any schools out-of-hand simply because the "conventional wisdom" here on TLS says that you won't be accepted, or because you don't see any applicants with your numbers being accepted on lawschoolnumbers.com. The people here and on LSN are only a fraction of the total applicant pool, and I believe that non-traditional applicants (especially ones with military service) are pretty under-represented in both places. The number of people taking the LSAT and applying to law school has been dropping like a stone over the past year or two, so schools are being less picky than they have been in the past.


Hello there! Following up from our convo last year...or earlier this year. How are your apps going? Are you still planning on TX? Are your folks doing okay?

:)

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:47 pm

JazzyMac wrote:
Hello there! Following up from our convo last year...or earlier this year. How are your apps going? Are you still planning on TX? Are your folks doing okay?

:)


Everything's great, thanks! Retiring in June, and I'll be starting at UT in the fall. Parents are a couple years older, but still doing well. My wife and I are actually visiting them this week.

I'm still planning on getting the patent bar our of the way before law school, so I'll be starting the PLI prep course in a month or two. I've already found a place to live in Austin, so everything's coming together (knock wood).

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:05 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:so everything's coming together (knock wood).

This is finally happening for me too and it feels awesome!

JazzyMac
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby JazzyMac » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:47 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:
Hello there! Following up from our convo last year...or earlier this year. How are your apps going? Are you still planning on TX? Are your folks doing okay?

:)


Everything's great, thanks! Retiring in June, and I'll be starting at UT in the fall. Parents are a couple years older, but still doing well. My wife and I are actually visiting them this week.

I'm still planning on getting the patent bar our of the way before law school, so I'll be starting the PLI prep course in a month or two. I've already found a place to live in Austin, so everything's coming together (knock wood).


Congratulations!!! That's good stuff.

underwear
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby underwear » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Currently working on my personal statement. Any L's or graduates wanna take a editorial gander after I'm done?

User avatar
tjsmms061906
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby tjsmms061906 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:38 pm

ArcticDeckie wrote:I know it's on the early side, but how is the application season going for everyone? For me: can't complain, but still eagerly awaiting some replies:

American: In
George Mason: In with $
Fordham: Pending
GW: Pending
GULC: Deferred to RD, pending

GW's 'entering class profile' points out that it includes seven veterans, which I'll take as a good sign.


So far I'm having a pretty good cycle given my numbers (165/2.5)

WUSTL: In
Notre Dame: In
W&L: In
Wisconsin: In
Richmond: In
Loyola Chicago: In
CUA: In
Rutgers-Newark: In
St John's: In
Fordham: Ding
Univ. Washington: Waitlisted

Pending on too many others to list. I applied to a lot of schools because my numbers made it too hard to predict likely target schools (for me at least). Currently on active duty, E-6, Army, Infantry, Recruiting Duty, Deployment 09-10, Non-traditional student. PM me if you have questions.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: patrickkpaul and 12 guests