Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Zoomie
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Zoomie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:52 pm

rvadog wrote:You guys have room for Coast Guard in this thread?

I've got 4 years AD with either one left or 4 left depending on where they try and send me this summer.

Hoping the military thing carries some water because my GPA blows (hence the reason I enlisted in the coast guard instead of finishing college)>


It does a little.

User avatar
Zoomie
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 am

Re: .

Postby Zoomie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:55 pm

TripTrip wrote:Thanks for the input.

My experience did change me, during the eight months I spent in training. However, I've never deployed (I volunteered, but I came back from training three days too late to sign the paperwork) and haven't been activated since then. Even though I've shown leadership in my unit (NCOIC of an M9 range for the brigade during AT, for example), I'm not sure it's substantive enough to talk about at length in my PS.

Do you think it will look superficial if I just put in two sentences about how training helped shape my perspectives and the way I interact with people?


Then write about something else.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Zoomie wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:Well, I received the official answer this evening that the Air Force is not releasing me from flying to apply to law school. While I've heard the party line enough over the last few years to know that a release would be difficult, it's still very disappointing. I wanted this so bad and I've spent the last several months going through the application process so I wouldn't be behind if the answer was yes.

On top of that, my commander simultaneously dropped the news that the move date for my next assignment is being moved up by about 6 months and that they need my requests for jobs/bases by next week.

So I won't be applying to law school for about 6 more years. Maybe by 9 years from now when I graduate one of you will be a hiring partner and can hook me up. :)

It's been real, TLS. I've gotta go figure out a prioritized request list of where to move my family...


I may catch some crap for this but next week I'm going to talk to legal about any chance I may have at a voluntary early seperation from the Army. I've got 7 1/2 years in with just over a year left and I'm dying inside. I can't take it anymore and I want nothing more than to just get out so I can finish my bachelor degree without the Army continusly screwing with me. I think I've had to drop more classes in the past 2 years than I've actually taken because I keep having to go do some b.s. training or some other crap. I have no hope of anything coming out of my meeting next week but I can't stop thinking that it just might work...


I have FIVE punitive w's because having to drop classes due to being TDY or work load. I dropped past the drop date and they say lsac doesn't count w's, but mine are showing up as F's on my CAS academic report. :( they are w's on my transcript and my lsac gpa is lower than my transcript from my undergrad school. I feel ya.


I haven't submitted all my transcripts yet so I don't know if that will happen to me but now I'm freaked out..

User avatar
Zoomie
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby Zoomie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:17 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
I haven't submitted all my transcripts yet so I don't know if that will happen to me but now I'm freaked out..



Don't freak. Yours may just be w's. Depends on how soon in the semester you dropped.

txtochitown
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 am

Re: .

Postby txtochitown » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:20 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
txtochitown wrote:I have a question about benefits. does anyone know that if you exhaust ch. 33 if you could use full benefits under ch. 31??


From your username I'm guessing you're from Texas. If that is the case once you've used up all the GI Bill you can try and use the Hazzlewood Act if you're going to a state school.


I'm trying to go to an out of state school so the hazlewood act wouldn't benefit me. but thank you all for the help!

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 am

Do schools you've applied to generally know if you'll be attending under the GI Bill?

If the current trend of reduced numbers of applicants pushes schools to offer more scholarship money in an effort to attract better students and keep their numbers up, I can't help but think that an applicant who's having Uncle Sam cover potentially 75-100% of the tuition/fees is going to look even more attractive, since the school wouldn't have to offer nearly as much of a scholarship as an enticement.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:25 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Do schools you've applied to generally know if you'll be attending under the GI Bill?

If the current trend of reduced numbers of applicants pushes schools to offer more scholarship money in an effort to attract better students and keep their numbers up, I can't help but think that an applicant who's having Uncle Sam cover potentially 75-100% of the tuition/fees is going to look even more attractive, since the school wouldn't have to offer nearly as much of a scholarship as an enticement.


Yeah but you still get some of the scholly money. For instance I got a full ride to Berkeley (I didn't take it), they would have paid me an additional 2k a month on top of the BAH because of my scholarship. It only covers up to the cost of attendance but still that's a nice chunk of change the school is paying out.

Also in some circumstances it might actually hinder your application if they are just looking at it from a monetary aspect. Take two applicants to a school like Penn. 1st applicant is borderline but gets accepted and he/she has to pay Penn 44k in tuition with no scholarship. 2nd applicant is borderline and a veteran the GI Bill takes care of about 18k leaving 26k left to pay, with yellow ribbon. The Government pays 13 and Penn pays the other 13. Thus, if they accept the 2nd applicant they are basically giving them a 39k scholarship. Now maybe the schools don't care but if they are as a hard up for scholly money as you suggest it may be a net negative for the vets as far as admittance because the high scoring vets would have gotten into the school anyway and the lower scoring ones my be looked at as a burden.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:44 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Do schools you've applied to generally know if you'll be attending under the GI Bill?

If the current trend of reduced numbers of applicants pushes schools to offer more scholarship money in an effort to attract better students and keep their numbers up, I can't help but think that an applicant who's having Uncle Sam cover potentially 75-100% of the tuition/fees is going to look even more attractive, since the school wouldn't have to offer nearly as much of a scholarship as an enticement.


Yeah but you still get some of the scholly money. For instance I got a full ride to Berkeley (I didn't take it), they would have paid me an additional 2k a month on top of the BAH because of my scholarship. It only covers up to the cost of attendance but still that's a nice chunk of change the school is paying out.


So was the offer from Berkeley a full ride plus a $2000/month stipend, or did the $2000/month somehow come from the GI Bill?

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:25 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Do schools you've applied to generally know if you'll be attending under the GI Bill?

If the current trend of reduced numbers of applicants pushes schools to offer more scholarship money in an effort to attract better students and keep their numbers up, I can't help but think that an applicant who's having Uncle Sam cover potentially 75-100% of the tuition/fees is going to look even more attractive, since the school wouldn't have to offer nearly as much of a scholarship as an enticement.


Yeah but you still get some of the scholly money. For instance I got a full ride to Berkeley (I didn't take it), they would have paid me an additional 2k a month on top of the BAH because of my scholarship. It only covers up to the cost of attendance but still that's a nice chunk of change the school is paying out.


So was the offer from Berkeley a full ride plus a $2000/month stipend, or did the $2000/month somehow come from the GI Bill?


This is how it worked out.

Because Berkeley is a state school the post 9/11 GI Bill covered tuition. Based on Berkeley's location I would get BAH of 2300/month. Now I also received a full ride (~150k) but the tuition is already paid so the scholarship didn't have to pay that. What the financial aid office told me was they would subtract the tuition from total cost of attendance. And award me the difference. So for this year tuition is 50k and COA is 73k. The difference is 23k. divide that by 9 months and it comes out to about 2550 a month PLUS BAH for a total of about 4850 a month. Which is still a good deal for them because instead of paying me 150k they only pay out about 70k. I also had a similar deal at a few other schools but of all the schools that I would have made a substantial amount of money, I liked Berkeley the best. Believe me it was very very difficult to turn down.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:33 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Do schools you've applied to generally know if you'll be attending under the GI Bill?

If the current trend of reduced numbers of applicants pushes schools to offer more scholarship money in an effort to attract better students and keep their numbers up, I can't help but think that an applicant who's having Uncle Sam cover potentially 75-100% of the tuition/fees is going to look even more attractive, since the school wouldn't have to offer nearly as much of a scholarship as an enticement.


Yeah but you still get some of the scholly money. For instance I got a full ride to Berkeley (I didn't take it), they would have paid me an additional 2k a month on top of the BAH because of my scholarship. It only covers up to the cost of attendance but still that's a nice chunk of change the school is paying out.


So was the offer from Berkeley a full ride plus a $2000/month stipend, or did the $2000/month somehow come from the GI Bill?


This is how it worked out.

Because Berkeley is a state school the post 9/11 GI Bill covered tuition. Based on Berkeley's location I would get BAH of 2300/month. Now I also received a full ride (~150k) but the tuition is already paid so the scholarship didn't have to pay that. What the financial aid office told me was they would subtract the tuition from total cost of attendance. And award me the difference. So for this year tuition is 50k and COA is 73k. The difference is 23k. divide that by 9 months and it comes out to about 2550 a month PLUS BAH for a total of about 4850 a month. Which is still a good deal for them because instead of paying me 150k they only pay out about 70k. I also had a similar deal at a few other schools but of all the schools that I would have made a substantial amount of money, I liked Berkeley the best. Believe me it was very very difficult to turn down.


Okay, that makes sense. I'm assuming this was last cycle though (or earlier), because recent changes to the GI Bill mean that the government is now the "last payer". In other words, the GI Bill will only pay for what's left over after all scholarships are deducted from the tuition/fees, subject to the private school cap, if applicable.

If you were to receive a similar full-ride offer today, what would happen is that the government would see the full ride scholarship and say "looks like you don't need any GI Bill money for tuition/fees, so you'll get your BAH and book allowance, and that's it."

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Yeah but you still get some of the scholly money. For instance I got a full ride to Berkeley (I didn't take it), they would have paid me an additional 2k a month on top of the BAH because of my scholarship. It only covers up to the cost of attendance but still that's a nice chunk of change the school is paying out.


So was the offer from Berkeley a full ride plus a $2000/month stipend, or did the $2000/month somehow come from the GI Bill?


This is how it worked out.

Because Berkeley is a state school the post 9/11 GI Bill covered tuition. Based on Berkeley's location I would get BAH of 2300/month. Now I also received a full ride (~150k) but the tuition is already paid so the scholarship didn't have to pay that. What the financial aid office told me was they would subtract the tuition from total cost of attendance. And award me the difference. So for this year tuition is 50k and COA is 73k. The difference is 23k. divide that by 9 months and it comes out to about 2550 a month PLUS BAH for a total of about 4850 a month. Which is still a good deal for them because instead of paying me 150k they only pay out about 70k. I also had a similar deal at a few other schools but of all the schools that I would have made a substantial amount of money, I liked Berkeley the best. Believe me it was very very difficult to turn down.


Okay, that makes sense. I'm assuming this was last cycle though (or earlier), because recent changes to the GI Bill mean that the government is now the "last payer". In other words, the GI Bill will only pay for what's left over after all scholarships are deducted from the tuition/fees, subject to the private school cap, if applicable.

If you were to receive a similar full-ride offer today, what would happen is that the government would see the full ride scholarship and say "looks like you don't need any GI Bill money for tuition/fees, so you'll get your BAH and book allowance, and that's it."


I would have been pissed if they changed this after I enrolled.

User avatar
bowser
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby bowser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:42 pm

So....heard it through the grapevine that BAH pay was going up to 3258 for New York for 2013. But then I just got my VA certification letter, and it shows 2835. Looking at the table for 2013 it does seem like there was a bump for the rate. What gives?

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:25 pm

bowser wrote:So....heard it through the grapevine that BAH pay was going up to 3258 for New York for 2013. But then I just got my VA certification letter, and it shows 2835. Looking at the table for 2013 it does seem like there was a bump for the rate. What gives?


What ZIP code are you using to check entitlements? The BAH for New York City *should* be $3258 for 2013. Looking at the 2013 chart, I can't find any of the areas inside NY state that are $2835:

User avatar
bowser
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby bowser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:56 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
bowser wrote:So....heard it through the grapevine that BAH pay was going up to 3258 for New York for 2013. But then I just got my VA certification letter, and it shows 2835. Looking at the table for 2013 it does seem like there was a bump for the rate. What gives?


What ZIP code are you using to check entitlements? The BAH for New York City *should* be $3258 for 2013. Looking at the 2013 chart, I can't find any of the areas inside NY state that are $2835:



The BAH calculator does show its 3258. But I got a letter from the VA certifying my eligibility, and it has the old number. It's possible they just never updated it, but the dates on the letter are for 2013.

JCGibson10
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby JCGibson10 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 am

Just checking in. It's really cool to see a big group of veterans on here. Coming from a POG (though I leave the wire 4-5/month, but a POG nonetheless), I appreciate all that you all have done for our country and especially for the rest of your brothers/sisters in arms. Good luck to everyone this cycle!

Jack
First Lieutenant (Commissioned in May 2010, USMA), Army, Medical Service Corps
Medical Platoon Leader/Battalion Medical Officer
Currently deployed to Afghanistan with Task Force Paktika (CJSOTF-A)

Just got picked up a couple of weeks ago for the Army FLEP program. I am 3.5/163.

All my applications were processed between January 3rd-January 9th. I have been accepted to Arkansas and Wake Forest, so far. Awaiting decisions from Alabama, Notre Dame (decision mailed on January 16th, but it might take a minute or two to get to AFG), Georgia, and Columbia (huge reach, I know). UGA is my top choice as of right now. How does everyone like my chances?? (Suspense is killing me...spend a lot of my down time looking at status checkers haha)

User avatar
Metanoia
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Metanoia » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:58 am

Hi all, great to see an active group of vets on here. I'm a four-and-out enlisted AF guy -- KC-135 electrician, based in Okinawa. Did a lot of TDYs, but no Iraq/Afghanistan. After I separated, I went to college and flight school and I've spent the last few years flying CRJs out of Atlanta. Just started studying for the June LSAT. I'm pretty happy with my accuracy and timing for RC and LR, but I can only get halfway through the LG sections in 35 minutes, so I'll be spending the next few months playing games. I hope to work in PI -- international humanitarian stuff is kinda my pipe dream, but I'd also like to work in policy advocacy or direct legal services. I used all of my Ch. 30 GI Bill on undergrad and flight school, but the VA gave me an additional 12 months of the Post 9/11 Bill, so that'll definitely help.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Cobretti » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 am

Metanoia wrote:Hi all, great to see an active group of vets on here. I'm a four-and-out enlisted AF guy -- KC-135 electrician, based in Okinawa. Did a lot of TDYs, but no Iraq/Afghanistan. After I separated, I went to college and flight school and I've spent the last few years flying CRJs out of Atlanta. Just started studying for the June LSAT. I'm pretty happy with my accuracy and timing for RC and LR, but I can only get halfway through the LG sections in 35 minutes, so I'll be spending the next few months playing games. I hope to work in PI -- international humanitarian stuff is kinda my pipe dream, but I'd also like to work in policy advocacy or direct legal services. I used all of my Ch. 30 GI Bill on undergrad and flight school, but the VA gave me an additional 12 months of the Post 9/11 Bill, so that'll definitely help.

The 12 months certainly is nice, but hearing people that used their whole ch. 30 before 31 came to pass still makes me cringe. GL on the LSAT.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Metanoia wrote:Hi all, great to see an active group of vets on here. I'm a four-and-out enlisted AF guy -- KC-135 electrician, based in Okinawa. Did a lot of TDYs, but no Iraq/Afghanistan. After I separated, I went to college and flight school and I've spent the last few years flying CRJs out of Atlanta. Just started studying for the June LSAT. I'm pretty happy with my accuracy and timing for RC and LR, but I can only get halfway through the LG sections in 35 minutes, so I'll be spending the next few months playing games. I hope to work in PI -- international humanitarian stuff is kinda my pipe dream, but I'd also like to work in policy advocacy or direct legal services. I used all of my Ch. 30 GI Bill on undergrad and flight school, but the VA gave me an additional 12 months of the Post 9/11 Bill, so that'll definitely help.



Good luck, and welcome.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby lrslayer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm

Metanoia wrote:Hi all, great to see an active group of vets on here. I'm a four-and-out enlisted AF guy -- KC-135 electrician, based in Okinawa. Did a lot of TDYs, but no Iraq/Afghanistan. After I separated, I went to college and flight school and I've spent the last few years flying CRJs out of Atlanta. Just started studying for the June LSAT. I'm pretty happy with my accuracy and timing for RC and LR, but I can only get halfway through the LG sections in 35 minutes, so I'll be spending the next few months playing games. I hope to work in PI -- international humanitarian stuff is kinda my pipe dream, but I'd also like to work in policy advocacy or direct legal services. I used all of my Ch. 30 GI Bill on undergrad and flight school, but the VA gave me an additional 12 months of the Post 9/11 Bill, so that'll definitely help.

If you get a 20% or higher disability rating, be sure to look into Vocational Rehabilitation. I'm going to law school under the program and they pay full tuition, fees, living stipend (same rate as GI Bill), and books/supplies. They also bought me an IMac. It's an amazing program!

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:14 am

Anybody else take the LSAT today?

User avatar
Zoomie
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Zoomie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:26 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Anybody else take the LSAT today?


Yep

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:41 am

Well hope you did well. I'm dying to know how I did! What are you shooting for? I'm trying for a 165 and I may have got it but I think I got more like a 163.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Cobretti » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:17 am

GL with feb scores. Zoomie, hope the retake was an improvement

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 am

Hope you guys kicked butt on the LSAT. Did anybody take it in a strange place? I know a ton of active duty guys are spread everywhere and we end up taking it in some weird places sometimes. I took it twice once in Istanbul and the other time in Paris.

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Ramius » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:17 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Hope you guys kicked butt on the LSAT. Did anybody take it in a strange place? I know a ton of active duty guys are spread everywhere and we end up taking it in some weird places sometimes. I took it twice once in Istanbul and the other time in Paris.


The great Navy town of Manama, Bahrain here.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie, tedofsandimas, xn3345 and 14 guests