Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JCFindley

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby JCFindley » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:19 am

reydingo wrote:JC-

The short reason-My reason for aviation law is to provide legal expertise for other aviation professionals, from pilots and mechanics, to airlines and corporate flight departments.

You can stop laughing by the way, it is true.

Long version-Had a love affair with aviation since I took my first plane ride at 17. Literally changed me from trying to get by to ambitious student with a plan. While in college, I applied to both the Air Force and Navy for pilot, navigator, and ABM (AF only), only to find out that my vision was that bad. Un the end, I needed a waiver for general service in all of them.

After several tries (I believe 12 total but lost count) with military aviation, along with a few other bumps, I started looking into supporting aviators et all. However, what started as joining the military to fly turned into desire to serve the US. I turned to the Army, to become an Air Defense Officer. If I cannot fly them, or fly in them, I will assist in protecting the skies against aerial threats. The Army had other plans, since that is low demand low drag. They first put me into the Chemical Corps, but I was with an Airborne unit. Got to jump several times, but it was not the same as just flying in the C-130 (never got to jump C-17). Now I am doing Intel. Tried to get an aviation brigade, did not work, but saved enough money to start flight lesson, only after 14 years.

Well, that is pretty much it. When I get out, aviation law, along with flight instruction and CAP will become my life. Besides, all things considered, look at the future clients compared (aviators) compared to others. I think I would rather be around pilots than bankers any day

Also, before I read your post, I was talking to the wife about going to several of those schools, where the GI Bill would cover the expenses. I believe the #1 now is Harvard, followed with Cornell and Boalt. Only reservation with Fordham is portability outside of New York. Good thing is that it doesn;t matter to her.

No laughing on my part and it makes perfect sense to me. I just asked since your background didn't scream aviation. My last four deployments were with a joint unit doing ADA work with the Army in DC so am even familiar with that end of aviation.

Yeah, Fordham is not all that portable outside of NY/NJ but my wife was a bit more adamant about where I had my midlife crisis, er "career change" and it came down to the NYC area or I "deployed" to LS by myself for three years. In all fairness, not only is she from here but she is a flight attendant based out of Newark so living anywhere else would have made her life a lot more difficult. I am hoping my aviation background will make Fordham more portable but that remains to be seen. (If I go criminal law, greater NYC is fine for me anyway and am not sure it matters all that much where the JD is from when compared to a commitment to PI and ties to the area.) With a 3.8 and good LSAT prep/score you should be able to go where ever you like though.

I will keep you in mind as I explore the aviation law market and let you know anything I find out.

JC

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:33 am

Would any of you guys be willing to take a look at my personal statement? Second draft. I can't tell if it's great or if it sucks. Probably means its somewhere in the middle.

Particularly interested in feedback from the military bubbas here who are already in school and have BTDT in regards to the personal statement. That being said, no offer of help will be rejected.

I know I can go to the Personal Statement section of the forums, but I want to start here with the military guys first to get your take.

If you're willing to help, please let me know and I'll just send it to you via PM.

Thanks,
HD

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:10 am

HawgDriver wrote:Would any of you guys be willing to take a look at my personal statement? Second draft. I can't tell if it's great or if it sucks. Probably means its somewhere in the middle.

Particularly interested in feedback from the military bubbas here who are already in school and have BTDT in regards to the personal statement. That being said, no offer of help will be rejected.

I know I can go to the Personal Statement section of the forums, but I want to start here with the military guys first to get your take.

If you're willing to help, please let me know and I'll just send it to you via PM.

Thanks,
HD

PM away....

Here is the one I used.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=179800

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:49 pm

So I'm sitting here sharpening all my pencils for the LSAT tomorrow and couldn't help but have a flashback of loading my m4 and m9 before flights. I think I'm taking this test a little too seriously

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:27 pm

mrizza wrote:So I'm sitting here sharpening all my pencils for the LSAT tomorrow and couldn't help but have a flashback of loading my m4 and m9 before flights. I think I'm taking this test a little too seriously

Perhaps, it is a serious test and has a LOT to do with where you can go to LS which has a lot to do with where you can get a job so it IS serious.

That said, unlike combat, 1.) nobody is going to die..... 2.) If you have a bad day, you can get a "do-over" in December. So, no stress.

Good luck.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Why so many pilots?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:49 pm

JCFindley wrote:
mrizza wrote:So I'm sitting here sharpening all my pencils for the LSAT tomorrow and couldn't help but have a flashback of loading my m4 and m9 before flights. I think I'm taking this test a little too seriously

Perhaps, it is a serious test and has a LOT to do with where you can go to LS which has a lot to do with where you can get a job so it IS serious.

That said, unlike combat, 1.) nobody is going to die..... 2.) If you have a bad day, you can get a "do-over" in December. So, no stress.

Good luck.

Ya, it made me laugh more than anything honestly. In fact I keep telling myself how much less is on the line with this than was on the line in the past, so if anything, reminding me of those times is helping me put it all into perspective and stay focused. I'm sure all of us that have deployed have a huge advantage in performing under pressure, tomorrow won't be different.

Also, I wasn't a pilot. I was an airborne linguist / special intelligence operator on U-28As.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:48 pm

mrizza wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

Good luck.

Ya, it made me laugh more than anything honestly. In fact I keep telling myself how much less is on the line with this than was on the line in the past, so if anything, reminding me of those times is helping me put it all into perspective and stay focused. I'm sure all of us that have deployed have a huge advantage in performing under pressure, tomorrow won't be different.

Also, I wasn't a pilot. I was an airborne linguist / special intelligence operator on U-28As.

I read your post about preparing for your mission tomorrow. Made me smile even though I am not a veteran. I hope everything goes great for you. I am sure you are correct, your experience in performing under pressure in difficult circumstance will be a great asset to taking the LSAT, in law school and in practice. Good luck tomorrow on the test.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:49 am

SemperLegal wrote:Why so many pilots?

Actually, I think there are four ITT and then a few more aircrew but to answer your question, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=190007&hilit=pilot

In all seriousness, I have zero desire to go back to the airlines, zero desire to go back to govt contracting, getting a job with the NTSB hasn't happened yet, and the most I can't see making with my photography business in the near future is 20K/year and I always wanted to be an attorney. I am not interested in BL just to make money but criminal law or aviation law really interest me and my end game goal is to make a living doing something I actually enjoy.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Tso many flyboys. Tso much hollywood.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:04 pm

bjsesq wrote:Tso many flyboys. Tso much hollywood.

Bjsesq... You stink

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:36 am

mrizza wrote:

Bjsesq... You stink

I tend to just ignore the opinion of people with pink centaur-unicorn things for their tar.... Besides, at least in the USAF I am used to others in the service thinking we are a bunch of over paid, pampered, over confident prima-donnas that get ALL the good deals but are really nothing more than a bunch of over paid teenagers with the keys to their uncle's jets. And really, I am OK with that. :D

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:10 am

JCFindley wrote:
mrizza wrote:

Bjsesq... You stink

I tend to just ignore the opinion of people with pink centaur-unicorn things for their tar.... Besides, at least in the USAF I am used to others in the service thinking we are a bunch of over paid, pampered, over confident prima-donnas that get ALL the good deals but are really nothing more than a bunch of over paid teenagers with the keys to their uncle's jets. And really, I am OK with that. :D

Funny thing reading this exchange is that I actually know both of you (BJS and JC)... and I think you'd hit it off rather well. :D

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:36 pm

JCFindley wrote:
mrizza wrote:

Bjsesq... You stink

At least one of you caught the Top Gun reference and didn't take himself all seriously. Jesus, Maverick, chill the fuck out.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:32 pm

bjsesq wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
mrizza wrote:

Bjsesq... You stink

At least one of you caught the Top Gun reference and didn't take himself all seriously. Jesus, Maverick, chill the fuck out.

No one's ever been that close bef...OhhhmyGodnomoreTopGuntalk. :o

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:00 pm

HawgDriver wrote:OhhhmyGodnomoreTopGuntalk. :o

Just get a load of this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... -3d-234032

Clearly the "early 2012" estimate was off, but I thought you all would like to know...

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Question for you guys using the Post 9/11 GI Bill... Is the BAH subtracted from the cost of attendance in your award letter? I dont know if that makes sense... I guess, is the BAH considered at all? Or does it end up being money that we have above and beyond cost of attendance? I ask because, knowing that BAH and COA cover living expenses but only for the 9ish months you are in school, is it possible to cover those extra 3 months by taking out a small loan from GradPlus or Stafford and just hanging on to it to use over the summer?

Thanks for any input!

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 pm

tyler.durden wrote:Question for you guys using the Post 9/11 GI Bill... Is the BAH subtracted from the cost of attendance in your award letter? I dont know if that makes sense... I guess, is the BAH considered at all? Or does it end up being money that we have above and beyond cost of attendance? I ask because, knowing that BAH and COA cover living expenses but only for the 9ish months you are in school, is it possible to cover those extra 3 months by taking out a small loan from GradPlus or Stafford and just hanging on to it to use over the summer?

Thanks for any input!

It's not subtracted. They also don't cover over Christmas break which is ridiculous.

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:09 pm

The Duck wrote:
tyler.durden wrote:Question for you guys using the Post 9/11 GI Bill... Is the BAH subtracted from the cost of attendance in your award letter? I dont know if that makes sense... I guess, is the BAH considered at all? Or does it end up being money that we have above and beyond cost of attendance? I ask because, knowing that BAH and COA cover living expenses but only for the 9ish months you are in school, is it possible to cover those extra 3 months by taking out a small loan from GradPlus or Stafford and just hanging on to it to use over the summer?

Thanks for any input!

It's not subtracted. They also don't cover over Christmas break which is ridiculous.

Ok so if it was financially necessary you could borrow COA - (GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon)? I obviously hope not to do this, but I also want to know what my left/right lateral limits are going into this deal.

Thanks again

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:36 pm

tyler.durden wrote:
The Duck wrote:

Thanks for any input!

Ok so if it was financially necessary you could borrow COA - (GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon)? I obviously hope not to do this, but I also want to know what my left/right lateral limits are going into this deal.

Thanks again

Yes you could a friend of mine had to take out loan even though everything is covered by the Yellow Ribbon and BAH. He needed it for moving expenses and getting settled. He told me the Financial aide guy gave him some crap about it at first but he ended up getting the money. Not sure if he had to submit any additional paperwork or what the process for that type of thing is.

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Offtopic:

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for their service.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:56 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
tyler.durden wrote:
The Duck wrote:

Thanks for any input!

Thanks again

Yes you could a friend of mine had to take out loan even though everything is covered by the Yellow Ribbon and BAH. He needed it for moving expenses and getting settled. He told me the Financial aide guy gave him some crap about it at first but he ended up getting the money. Not sure if he had to submit any additional paperwork or what the process for that type of thing is.

I had to do it myself for moving expenses. Aside from truck rental and actual moving expenses think rent x 3 if you are even considering NYC and the rent isn't cheap. Might I add, it is October 9th as I type this and I still haven't seen cent 1 from the VA yet so without the loan and some side money coming in I would be homeless right now.

I caught NO crap from financial aid about it BTW and you ARE allowed to take a loan for living expenses which frankly aren't covered by the BAH or the rest of the package.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 am

JCFindley wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
tyler.durden wrote:
The Duck wrote:It's not subtracted. They also don't cover over Christmas break which is ridiculous.

Thanks again

I had to do it myself for moving expenses. Aside from truck rental and actual moving expenses think rent x 3 if you are even considering NYC and the rent isn't cheap. Might I add, it is October 9th as I type this and I still haven't seen cent 1 from the VA yet so without the loan and some side money coming in I would be homeless right now.

I caught NO crap from financial aid about it BTW and you ARE allowed to take a loan for living expenses which frankly aren't covered by the BAH or the rest of the package.

Have you called the VA yet? I called after my payment was late a few days and they told me when exactly I should expect it. Something has to be wrong if you haven't even gotten your book stipend yet.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Have you called the VA yet? I called after my payment was late a few days and they told me when exactly I should expect it. Something has to be wrong if you haven't even gotten your book stipend yet.

This. They certified my info around August 27tand I got my stipend around Sept 19th and my BAH Oct 1.

Apparently, some schools wait until after the drop/add period to certify you. At least that's what my vet coordinator said. Michigan certifies us somehow that it says we paid no tuition when I get the letter but we get our BAH/stipend, then after drop/add they amend the certification.

Edit: Looked at my email and fixed dates

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:14 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Have you called the VA yet? I called after my payment was late a few days and they told me when exactly I should expect it. Something has to be wrong if you haven't even gotten your book stipend yet.

I called last week and they said it was "up and being processed" and "should" be in around the tenth. I am going to call again today.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”