Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CMac86

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby CMac86 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:13 pm

jthel08 wrote:
Oh, ok. Thanks! Is there a way to distinguish between the two? Or does the school itself just place it where they want..? Im new to the application and scholarship part of the process. Bare with me... haha

I think somewhere on here I read it all comes down to how the scholarship is worded. If it says anything pertaining to tuition-GI Bill just pays less. If it says something like "Living Expenses, Books, and Fees"-you could pocket the extra.

jthel08

Postby jthel08 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:22 pm

CMac86 wrote:
jthel08 wrote:
Oh, ok. Thanks! Is there a way to distinguish between the two? Or does the school itself just place it where they want..? Im new to the application and scholarship part of the process. Bare with me... haha

I think somewhere on here I read it all comes down to how the scholarship is worded. If it says anything pertaining to tuition-GI Bill just pays less. If it says something like "Living Expenses, Books, and Fees"-you could pocket the extra.

Awesome! Thanks!

modernoblomov

Postby modernoblomov » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:58 pm

It's great to see threads like this exist. I'm curious what it's been like studying for the LSAT for those on active duty. What was your study schedule like? Was it done on shore or sea duty? For how many months?

I'm especially curious for Navy linguists. Where did you fit in time to study? From what I'm hearing, it sounds like a 8/9-5 desk job more or less. I'd imagine there's time in the evenings to study but I also understand how naive it is to expect this given that it's the military.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

nubcs

Postby nubcs » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:31 pm

modernoblomov wrote:It's great to see threads like this exist. I'm curious what it's been like studying for the LSAT for those on active duty. What was your study schedule like? Was it done on shore or sea duty? For how many months?

I'm especially curious for Navy linguists. Where did you fit in time to study? From what I'm hearing, it sounds like a 8/9-5 desk job more or less. I'd imagine there's time in the evenings to study but I also understand how naive it is to expect this given that it's the military.

I studied and took the LSAT while on AD. I was on shore duty where we were doing rotating shift work, so the hours were slightly wonky but it ended up translating to about 50 hrs/wk. I studied for a few months, starting off with Mike's LSAT Trainer and doing 2 hours a day after work, and larger chunks during weekends. Once I got the basics down, I ran through I think the 20 most recent PTs under test conditions, and reviewed my mistakes using a combination of 7Sage's LG solutions, LSAThacks.com solutions, and Manhattan Prep's forum for LR/RC solutions. I burned some leave to make time to study as I got nearer to exam day, and I also used some around the time I took the LSAT to adjust my sleep cycle back to normal and ensure I wasn't going to be working on the day of the exam. It definitely sucked, and it cuts into whatever social life you'd expect to have while on shore duty, but it ended up being worth it. Let me know if you want any more specifics.

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that studying sounds like an 8-5/9-5 desk job? That was very far from my experience. I put about 160 hours total study into the LSAT and I don't think I ever did more than ten hours in one week. Who's telling you that you need to be studying 8 hours a day? There's a finite amount of material. If you start going that hard that fast you're probably hurting yourself in the long run.

ddevich

Postby ddevich » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:43 pm

AJordan wrote:I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that studying sounds like an 8-5/9-5 desk job? That was very far from my experience. I put about 160 hours total study into the LSAT and I don't think I ever did more than ten hours in one week. Who's telling you that you need to be studying 8 hours a day? There's a finite amount of material. If you start going that hard that fast you're probably hurting yourself in the long run.

He didn't mean that studying for 8 hours a day is the norm, nor was it the desk job he was referring to. He most likely isn't in the Navy, at least not yet, and wants to know the average day for a Navy Linguist so that he can plan how he'll study around that.

I'm an Army guy, wouldn't know starboard from the stern in truth, so I have no clue about Navy experiences.

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:52 pm

ddevich wrote:
AJordan wrote:I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that studying sounds like an 8-5/9-5 desk job? That was very far from my experience. I put about 160 hours total study into the LSAT and I don't think I ever did more than ten hours in one week. Who's telling you that you need to be studying 8 hours a day? There's a finite amount of material. If you start going that hard that fast you're probably hurting yourself in the long run.

He didn't mean that studying for 8 hours a day is the norm, nor was it the desk job he was referring to. He most likely isn't in the Navy, at least not yet, and wants to know the average day for a Navy Linguist so that he can plan how he'll study around that.

I'm an Army guy, wouldn't know starboard from the stern in truth, so I have no clue about Navy experiences.

Oh, wow. Yeah that makes sense. I'd be surprised if a single enlisted SM came in and said that he/she couldn't find an hour a day to study for the LSAT for a few months.

CMac86

Postby CMac86 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:49 am

modernoblomov wrote:It's great to see threads like this exist. I'm curious what it's been like studying for the LSAT for those on active duty. What was your study schedule like? Was it done on shore or sea duty? For how many months?

I did. I'm on permo-shore duty (musician, not world-wide deployable for medical reasons). My schedule varies from 8-4 to being 1500-0100. In other words, I don't have a consistent schedule. The only complicating factor for me is that I'm also completing undergrad.

For my first take (underperformed at a 156, PT average was 160-162). I'd get about 90mins before I went to work, did homework for about half of my lunch, and then afterwork (if I was working an 8-4 type of day) I'd get at least 2-3 more hours of LSAT or homework. Work is busier this year than it was last, so I'm hoping that we will start to slow down a bit so I can ramp my prep back up for either a February or June test.

NavyNuke

Postby NavyNuke » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Anyone attended a penn law military day visit? Got the invite today. I get off of leave a few days before the event, and am wondering if it is worth the trouble to try and get more time off to run up there. I really like Penn. They are a reach for me though. Thanks!

nubcs

Postby nubcs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 pm

NavyNuke wrote:Anyone attended a penn law military day visit? Got the invite today. I get off of leave a few days before the event, and am wondering if it is worth the trouble to try and get more time off to run up there. I really like Penn. They are a reach for me though. Thanks!

I went last year, and it was a huge help. One, the Penn Law vets association is probably the best one I've interacted with, and they're all very willing to help you get to where you want to go, regardless of where you end up applying. The other big takeaway was it helped me understand what I wanted to talk about in my personal statements and interviews.

Also, if you're looking to apply to Penn, they seem pretty big on writing a Why Penn statement, and the visit will probably help you.

NavyNuke

Postby NavyNuke » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 pm

nubcs wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:Anyone attended a penn law military day visit? Got the invite today. I get off of leave a few days before the event, and am wondering if it is worth the trouble to try and get more time off to run up there. I really like Penn. They are a reach for me though. Thanks!

I went last year, and it was a huge help. One, the Penn Law vets association is probably the best one I've interacted with, and they're all very willing to help you get to where you want to go, regardless of where you end up applying. The other big takeaway was it helped me understand what I wanted to talk about in my personal statements and interviews.

Also, if you're looking to apply to Penn, they seem pretty big on writing a Why Penn statement, and the visit will probably help you.

Awesome! Thanks for the response.

jthel08

Postby jthel08 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:04 am

Does anyone have experience with Voc Rehab and the employment process or at least know what it consists of? How does it work once graduating, ETC...?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”