Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mattviphky

Silver

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Post by mattviphky » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:25 am

jack.rose2 wrote:http://www.washington.edu/students/veteran/waiver.shtml

Talked to UW Veterans counselor, she told me that Veterans who have earned the war on terrorism ribbon qualify for in state tuition at 50%, includes law school, and counts even if you already used up your Chp 33 benefits. This sounds like a pretty good deal, anyone know someone who has used this? Or used this themselves?
Anyone who has enlisted since 9/11 gets the GWOT medal...this waiver is for active duty, or reserves/guard that have been deployed.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 am

btw. I'm 164/3.05 IL ANG, never deployed, though. But I received a 78k scholarship from SMU, and in my acceptance letter, they specifically highlighted my service as something that impressed them. I wasn't even sure if I would be accepted, but after I got in with so much money, I think it was largely due to my military experience.

Other than that, in at UIUC with small scholarship. These are the only two acceptances that I feel could be somewhat attributed to my service...every other acceptance/$ is pretty much in-line with my numbers. Kinda wish I had deployed now. I didn't go on the first one, cuz I wanted to get through school, and I didn't go on the second one because I wanted to study for the LSAT...I would have literally deployed the week I took the test. If I had gone, I would have some extra money stashed, but the real boon would be the Illinois Vets Grant. I would have been able to go to UIUC for free, now it looks like I'll have to pay damn near sticker.

Edit: I have never deployed to a combat zone. I've gone on other short, stupid trips sometimes called "deployments", but no where that looks impressive or nets me any sort of benefit.

New

Post by 727813 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:37 pm

EMZE wrote:
WannaGo wrote:I would plan on writing an addendum.

Most non-traditional universities have a student affairs or alumni relations department. I would find out who the head person of each department is and write them. If you still don't get a response, I would write to the chancellor/president of the university - but that's me and I tend to be a tad on the hasty side.

Would you mind PMing which university it is?

727813 wrote:Hey guys! (And gals) I have a question that I was hoping someone here may have some familiarity with......

I signed up for two classes at an online school (shall remain nameless for now) while on Active Duty. Due to internet problems (deployed) I realized I would not be able to successfully take the courses within the first 2 weeks. To make a long long long story short, I emailed my POC at the school and stated that I needed to withdraw. I was ignorant of the actual withdrawal process (first classes). The school did not tell me until 2 years later that the grades are not "W", but "FN" (F due to no attendance). After sending in letters to appeal, etc. nothing has happened. I can't get a person's name on the appeal committee for my Command to speak to. (No longer at the original command).

Should I keep playing ring-around-the-rosy with this school until Fall when I turn in my law school apps? Write my Congressman? If it doesn't work out write an addendum explaining the situation? If so, how much detail do I give? My GPA will drop 0.25 if those grades are factored into my LSAC GPA.....Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks!
I assume you aren't applying to LS this cycle? If so, use the coming months to try and get in contact with someone. Also, sometimes withdrawals are counted against your GPA just the same as an F, so try and get it categorized as such. Are you still in the military? Have you worked with the education office? They should maintain some liason to all the schools.

I have written to and contacted schools on behalf of Soldiers under my command, and once I got the right person on the phone I was usually able to fix the issue quickly. None of my Soldiers were applying to law school though, so I really don't know if their withdrawals would pass by LSAC without being punitive. Their reasons were very similar - we were deployed and I told the school that because the interweb was SLOW, I could not accomodate a Soldier taking classes if it takes them 4 hours to get through uploading a 1mb file.

A lot of this may depend on the school too but I haven't found an institution yet, especially those contracted by the military, that don't live in fear of being dropped from the fat DoD contractor list. It will really be a matter of finding the right person on the other end of the phone that will listen long enough to understand your valid position in dropping classes.
Thanks so much!!

ArmyVet07

New

Post by ArmyVet07 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:41 pm

mattviphky wrote:
jack.rose2 wrote:http://www.washington.edu/students/veteran/waiver.shtml

Talked to UW Veterans counselor, she told me that Veterans who have earned the war on terrorism ribbon qualify for in state tuition at 50%, includes law school, and counts even if you already used up your Chp 33 benefits. This sounds like a pretty good deal, anyone know someone who has used this? Or used this themselves?
Anyone who has enlisted since 9/11 gets the GWOT medal...this waiver is for active duty, or reserves/guard that have been deployed.
According to the info in the link to the University of Washington (sorry, but for me UW = Wisconsin) Vet Center website, the waiver is for those who "served ... in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters or in another location in support of those serving on foreign soil or in international waters." So it's not only for those who have been deployed. However, if you are "not classified as a Washington resident for tuition purposes" you would need to provide "a signed Certificate of Washington Domicilie."

jack.rose2

New

Post by jack.rose2 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:07 pm

What they told me is if you register for the Law School you qualify for Washington State domicile.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WannaGo

New

Post by WannaGo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with UW (Madison) giving a boost to military? Browing LSN, I can't get a good read...just wondering if there's any personal experience out there than will give me any hope.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:53 pm

WannaGo wrote:Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with UW (Madison) giving a boost to military? Browing LSN, I can't get a good read...just wondering if there's any personal experience out there than will give me any hope.
I am in the same boat on UW. We will find out.....

The town in general is not really pro military or wasn't anyway. I did a layover there at the ANG base and when we went down on State St they told us NOT to tell anyone we were military as they weren't overly welcome. (That was a long time ago.)

JC

WannaGo

New

Post by WannaGo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:12 pm

JCFindley wrote:
WannaGo wrote:Hey guys,

I am in the same boat on UW. We will find out.....

The town in general is not really pro military or wasn't anyway. I did a layover there at the ANG base and when we went down on State St they told us NOT to tell anyone we were military as they weren't overly welcome. (That was a long time ago.)

JC

Thanks JC.

I think most campuses generally lean to the left and in that case, not really pro military. The wait is killing me and the UW thread doesn't seem to be as active as it was last year. (Yes, I'm obsessing that much.) I'm dying to know what the numbers are for the folks getting admitted this year are, other than the limited ones shared on LSN. It would be nice to know how much of a bump (if any) ADCOMs give to a non-traditional/military applicants.

Good luck!...I hope UW shows us the love this cycle.

Cravin

New

Post by Cravin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:36 am

Anyone a current Penn student monitoring this thread and willing to take some questions about Penn? Will PM if you're available, thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:40 am

Cravin wrote:Anyone a current Penn student monitoring this thread and willing to take some questions about Penn? Will PM if you're available, thanks.
See if they have a military/veterans association. Most schools do, and I've contacted them a few times (Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia). They've all been receptive and informative.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:08 am

Does anyone have any good gouge on the GI bill in relation to financial aid packages? I THINK that I heard somewhere that they cannot consider the GI Bill when determining need-based aid, is that correct or am I bat shit crazy? Just wondering because I was just given zilch in need-based aid from Columbia despite being a poor sgt. :lol:

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:52 am

Kring345 wrote:Does anyone have any good gouge on the GI bill in relation to financial aid packages? I THINK that I heard somewhere that they cannot consider the GI Bill when determining need-based aid, is that correct or am I bat shit crazy? Just wondering because I was just given zilch in need-based aid from Columbia despite being a poor sgt. :lol:
I thought the same thing but when I tried to find the wording on the VA web site it only mentioned that the federal gov't is not supposed to take it into account for FAFSA. I shot them an email inquiring, but I don't have great hopes.

Columbia seems to award Dean's Scholarship mostly on the basis of merit (LSAT/GPA), although it's a little confusing because they lump everything together. Most of the people I see getting money are above median, and the ones getting serious money are comfortably above median. I got zilch, too.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:56 am

Can anyone currently attending tell me how the VA calculated its housing stipend? Did it start the first day of classes and end the last day of finals? Did they pro-rate it so that the stipend cuts off during vacations and semester break? I noticed the actual academic calendar at most schools have a pretty short (<8 months) duration, meaning I may only be getting 7.5 months' worth of BAH benefits instead of 9 a year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sgt101st

New

Post by sgt101st » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:08 am

ahnhub wrote:Can anyone currently attending tell me how the VA calculated its housing stipend? Did it start the first day of classes and end the last day of finals? Did they pro-rate it so that the stipend cuts off during vacations and semester break? I noticed the actual academic calendar at most schools have a pretty short (<8 months) duration, meaning I may only be getting 7.5 months' worth of BAH benefits instead of 9 a year.
It's pro-rated based on semester start/end dates. Can be a good thing if you plan on maximizing your time in school, but most vets come into college with some credits already and never use all of their GI Bill getting a bachelors. So basically a cost saving measure for the VA. You still get a full months benefit during "in-semester breaks" like spring break and Thanksgiving. But once classes end then you're on your own until they start up again.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 pm

can you guys check out my voc rehab related post please and answer if you can? thanks

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=182450

Jhausie

New

Post by Jhausie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:20 pm

E-4, 24 years old

US Army (Minnesota National Guard)

Infantry

OEF Vet

ijmiddleton

New

Post by ijmiddleton » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:46 am

Last edited by ijmiddleton on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:35 pm

ijmiddleton wrote:Captain, USMC
0602 Communications Officer
Deployed with 3d LAR to Iraq in '09
Currently an OSO
172/3.6
Applying next cycle, cant wait!
Welcome to the thread gentlemen.....

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:08 am

Just realized that I horribly out performed my numbers. At one of my admits (according to LSNs) I am the second-least qualified non-URM in the class by a sizable margin

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed May 02, 2012 9:57 am

SemperLegal wrote:Just realized that I horribly out performed my numbers. At one of my admits (according to LSNs) I am the second-least qualified non-URM in the class by a sizable margin
Congrats Semp.....

I also just out preformed mine by a HUGE margin as well.... Not at every school and some didn't care about much beyond the numbers but what would be considered a hail marry to Fordham worked and was my top choice period. Oh, I applied March 13th BTW so was rather late in the ball game as well..... Some schools really DO care about more than just the numbers......

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Mon May 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Question for any current students at private schools (especially anyone at Columbia)--

I was under the impression 17500 + Yellow Ribbon was all I'd get and I'm on the hook for everything else. When I went to look at the required student health insurance it seemed to read that the cost would be covered by the GI Bill under the 'mandatory fee' stipulation. Is this right, or is it outdated? Would it cover the other mandatory fees (technology, etc.) as well?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sgt101st

New

Post by sgt101st » Tue May 15, 2012 11:30 am

ahnhub wrote:Question for any current students at private schools (especially anyone at Columbia)--

I was under the impression 17500 + Yellow Ribbon was all I'd get and I'm on the hook for everything else. When I went to look at the required student health insurance it seemed to read that the cost would be covered by the GI Bill under the 'mandatory fee' stipulation. Is this right, or is it outdated? Would it cover the other mandatory fees (technology, etc.) as well?
Not sure about Columbia, but I know most schools let you waive the student health insurance requirement if you have a VA registration card.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:05 pm

sgt101st wrote:
ahnhub wrote:Question for any current students at private schools (especially anyone at Columbia)--

Not sure about Columbia, but I know most schools let you waive the student health insurance requirement if you have a VA registration card.
VA registration card? For those medically retired or something?

Also, any further info on the original question?

Also2, ahnhub, you going to CLS? I probably am. If so, shoot me a PM!

sgt101st

New

Post by sgt101st » Tue May 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Kring345 wrote:
sgt101st wrote:

VA registration card? For those medically retired or something?

Also, any further info on the original question?

Also2, ahnhub, you going to CLS? I probably am. If so, shoot me a PM!
No, any veteran can get a VA registration card. I highly recommend every vet I know to get one. If you are still <5 years from your end of service date, you can get free health care through the VA.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:37 pm

WTF? Not the info I have received. Link?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”