Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Scout04

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby Scout04 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 am

zander4404 wrote:
Scout04 wrote:5 years Army/3+ years post army WE - Planning on applying next cycle. Because of my ROTC scholarship, I'm only eligible for 40% Post 9-11 GI. I think that puts me out of the running for the YR program, right? Does anyone know any other programs that help make up the tuition difference? Anyone else going to school on a partial GI like I will be? I'd like to hear how the whole thing works.

My understanding of the YR is that you have to have 100% post 9-11 GI Bill eligibility in order to even qualify for YR.

As far as making up the tuition difference, you might have to rely on scholarships/loans/donations/family contributions/personal savings to offset whatever your post 9-11 GI BILL doesn't cover.

Getting only 40% is still better than a vast majority of law students, so I'd be thankful that you have some left!

That is what I figured. But your are def right, starting out with 40% is awesome.

Scout04

Postby Scout04 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:24 am

JCFindley wrote:
Scout04 wrote:5 years Army/3+ years post army WE - Planning on applying next cycle. Because of my ROTC scholarship, I'm only eligible for 40% Post 9-11 GI. I think that puts me out of the running for the YR program, right? Does anyone know any other programs that help make up the tuition difference? Anyone else going to school on a partial GI like I will be? I'd like to hear how the whole thing works.

From what I have seen on here schools are VERY liberal with their money if you 1.) Apply early in the cycle and 2.)Improve their stats. If you study your A off for the LSAT that can mean a lot of money from schools you wouldn't expect. (Or at least I had no idea they did that.....)

Once you have the LSAT score look at schools that you are above the median on both that and the GPA and preferably above their 75th percentile. It is likely that you will find schools that give you enough money to cover the difference. Even if your GPA is low and your LSAT is way high splitter friendly schools are still within your reach with scholarships.

JC

Thanks for the advice..wish me luck, shooting for splitter/military friendly schools!

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:25 am

Scout04 wrote:
zander4404 wrote: My understanding of the YR is that you have to have 100% post 9-11 GI Bill eligibility in order to even qualify for YR.

As far as making up the tuition difference, you might have to rely on scholarships/loans/donations/family contributions/personal savings to offset whatever your post 9-11 GI BILL doesn't cover.

Getting only 40% is still better than a vast majority of law students, so I'd be thankful that you have some left!

That is what I figured. But your are def right, starting out with 40% is awesome.

Also keep in mind that schools are not allowed to factor in any GI benefits as part of their own financial aid calculations, so you could very easily get additional institutional aid. I got a bunch of aid (some of it need-based) from schools where my tuition was either entirely paid for or like 75% paid for.

bacchusbrown

Postby bacchusbrown » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:54 pm

blowhard wrote:
bacchusbrown wrote:Hello all,

Just checking out this forum...lots of good info for prospective law folks.

Me:

-USCG, E-5, Logistics/Finance job, 8 years service
-EOE coming up and going to attend Campbell Univ. Trust and Wealth Management program (Pre-Law)

Post 911 GI Bill footing the bill for the undergrad remainder (2 years), if none left after that the Yellow Ribbon Program comes into effect. VA counselor from Campbell U in NC talks of covering all 3 years of Campbell Law via YRP. Also a plus that scholarships awarded and fed aid will allow to conserve some of that GI money.

Is anyone here attending or attended LS with a family? Im married, 32 yrs old, 3 kids. Just curious to see how you managed and any advice...Upon separation from Military, staying in the Reserves but im already 32 yrs old and dont like the idea of making a LS dream happen in my mid to late 40's upon active retirement, just my 2 cents! The post 911 Bill is a godsend for me allowing me to attend fulltime AND get the housing allowance, etc.

Cumulative GPA of Colleges/U's ive attended thus far = 3.7

Um, you can't use the YRP after your entitlement is used up. It simply allows the school to split te excess over what your entitlement covers. I wouldn't waste your GI Bill on undergrad unless it's really expensive. I'd save it for law school.

Hmm, I was told by my VA rep at my University that she has had folks with little or no GI Bill money left apply for the YRP for LS and almost, if not all was covered...I do know thats this program varies from school to school on if and how much financial assistance if offered.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:37 pm

bacchusbrown wrote:

Hmm, I was told by my VA rep at my University that she has had folks with little or no GI Bill money left apply for the YRP for LS and almost, if not all was covered...I do know thats this program varies from school to school on if and how much financial assistance if offered.

She's wrong. Entitlement is entitlement. In fact, these programs don't vary at all by school. It's administered by the VA pursuant to a statute. Once its over, you're done. --LinkRemoved-- Also, she'd never really know. All they do is certify people. The VA makes the determination and sends the explanation to you...not them.

http://www.gibill.com/blog/tag/yellow-ribbon-program wrote:You still have to have unused Post 9/11 Benefits left to use the Yellow Ribbon Program as it can’t be used by itself.

http://www.ongov.net/veterans/documents/15QuestionsPost911GIBill092010.pdf wrote:Once selected for the Yellow Ribbon Program, a student continues to receive funding as long as they
maintain satisfactory academic progress and have GI Bill entitlement.

bacchusbrown

Postby bacchusbrown » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:02 pm

blowhard wrote:
bacchusbrown wrote:

She's wrong. Entitlement is entitlement. In fact, these programs don't vary at all by school. It's administered by the VA pursuant to a statute. Once its over, you're done. --LinkRemoved-- Also, she'd never really know. All they do is certify people. The VA makes the determination and sends the explanation to you...not them.

http://www.gibill.com/blog/tag/yellow-ribbon-program wrote:You still have to have unused Post 9/11 Benefits left to use the Yellow Ribbon Program as it can’t be used by itself.

http://www.ongov.net/veterans/documents/15QuestionsPost911GIBill092010.pdf wrote:Once selected for the Yellow Ribbon Program, a student continues to receive funding as long as they

Well, Id best utilize my 911 funds best as possible by qualifying for scholarships/fed aid in order to have some money left in the 911 pot to work with for the program. Saving my Bill for Law School only wont be an option for me.

Thanks for the help.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:27 pm

blowhard wrote:
bacchusbrown wrote:

The YRP does vary a LOT from school to school in how much is offered, how many they allow and even if they offer it at all if that is what he was talking about.

For instance Michigan offers an unlimited number of students up to 99K. Pretty generous. Whereas Detroit Mercy only allows four law students to use the program and then it is only 2K each.

http://gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/ch33/ ... tes/mi.htm

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:33 pm

JCFindley wrote:
The YRP does vary a LOT from school to school in how much is offered, how many they allow and even if they offer it at all if that is what he was talking about.

For instance Michigan offers an unlimited number of students up to 99K. Pretty generous. Whereas Detroit Mercy only allows four law students to use the program and then it is only 2K each.

He wasn't. He was talking about being able to use it after using all of your 9/11 entitlement differing. While the amounts vary, how the program is administered is universal.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:42 pm

blowhard wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

He wasn't. He was talking about being able to use it after using all of your 9/11 entitlement differing. While the amounts vary, how the program is administered is universal.

Roger that.

Cravin

Postby Cravin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:06 pm

bacchusbrown wrote:

Well, Id best utilize my 911 funds best as possible by qualifying for scholarships/fed aid in order to have some money left in the 911 pot to work with for the program. Saving my Bill for Law School only wont be an option for me.

Thanks for the help.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong, but...

You're probably better served by thinking about your GIB entitlement remaining in terms of months, not dollars. The P 9/11 covers 36 months (I think) of entitlement. How much money that ends up being depends on the specific school, public v. private status, and the percentage of eligibility you've earned.

Scout04

Postby Scout04 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:38 pm

blowhard wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

I took it that he was talking about whether or not the YR program would be an option for someone like me, who has not used a dollar of the GIB, yet only is entitled to 40% of instate tuition (not that I only have 40% left). I guess a better question for me would be: Does the school or does the VA determine YR eligibility? If the VA makes the decision and that decision is based on whether or not I have the full GIB benefit, then I am out of luck. If the school makes the decision then there is room to talk...of course, I think regardless, if all I get is the 40% and no YR, the ball is in my court to make the right scores to get the extra money, just like every other applicant out there.

bacchusbrown

Postby bacchusbrown » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Cravin wrote:
bacchusbrown wrote:

Thanks for the help.

You're probably better served by thinking about your GIB entitlement remaining in terms of months, not dollars. The P 9/11 covers 36 months (I think) of entitlement. How much money that ends up being depends on the specific school, public v. private status, and the percentage of eligibility you've earned.

Well, you've got 15 years from EOE to use the 911 Bill. (100% earned for me) As far as the money goes putting those scholarships and fed aids programs ahead of the 911 money only allows me to have more money in the end to assist my eligibility for LS via the YRP. However, having my family to support and me being a fulltime student, the BAH will run out after 36 months of fulltime schooling...This particular school is a private one and switching to a public one with a half-hour longer drive may make better sense in the long run to help fund my goals.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Scout04 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

I took it that he was talking about whether or not the YR program would be an option for someone like me, who has not used a dollar of the GIB, yet only is entitled to 40% of instate tuition (not that I only have 40% left). I guess a better question for me would be: Does the school or does the VA determine YR eligibility? If the VA makes the decision and that decision is based on whether or not I have the full GIB benefit, then I am out of luck. If the school makes the decision then there is room to talk...of course, I think regardless, if all I get is the 40% and no YR, the ball is in my court to make the right scores to get the extra money, just like every other applicant out there.

That's not what he said originally. You are correct, it's 36 months. Whether those 36 months equal $5,000 or $50,000. Once you hit 36 months, you're done. For most people, law school is way more expensive and the GI Bill should be reserved for it. Hell, the VA has paid $65,000 just for this year for LS.

The VA determines your eligibility. Why would the VA allow the school to decide and obligate the VA? Under the YRP, the school and VA split the cost. The school only certifies the information to them. In fact, you have to apply to the VA to determine your eligibility before the school can even certify enrollment.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:58 pm

bacchusbrown wrote:
Cravin wrote:
bacchusbrown wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Well, you've got 15 years from EOE to use the 911 Bill. (100% earned for me) As far as the money goes putting those scholarships and fed aids programs ahead of the 911 money only allows me to have more money in the end to assist my eligibility for LS via the YRP. However, having my family to support and me being a fulltime student, the BAH will run out after 36 months of fulltime schooling...This particular school is a private one and switching to a public one with a half-hour longer drive may make better sense in the long run to help fund my goals.

That's not how it works. You get 36 months of tuition and BAH. Scholarships allow the VA to save money but it doesn't extend what you'll get. At 36 months, you get nothing more from the VA, either Post 9/11 or YRP. Each semester, the VA sends an explanation of how many months of entitlement you have left, whether you're eligible for the YRP, etc. They don't measure by $.

bacchusbrown

Postby bacchusbrown » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:01 pm

blowhard wrote:
bacchusbrown wrote:
Cravin wrote:
bacchusbrown wrote:

Thanks for the help.

That's not how it works. You get 36 months of tuition and BAH. Scholarships allow the VA to save money but it doesn't extend what you'll get. At 36 months, you get nothing more from the VA, either Post 9/11 or YRP. Each semester, the VA sends an explanation of how many months of entitlement you have left, whether you're eligible for the YRP, etc.

So the 15 years only keeps counting if I am not enrolled in school?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 pm

bacchusbrown wrote:
So the 15 years only keeps counting if I am not enrolled in school?

No, you get cut off at 36 months of usage or 15 years from when you separated. Whichever is first. It doesn't stop-start, etc.

Edit: Mis-read.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Not sure if anyone else is in this situation but the GIB now counts active title 32 time as well as active title 10 time. That made a HUGE difference for me. (title 32 being active guard/reserve.)

I have two years of the 10 but another five of 32 so if there is any active guard/reserve types reading this that can come in handy.

JC

ArmyVet07

Postby ArmyVet07 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:51 pm

I realize I might be able to get this question answered on the VA's GI Bill website, but perhaps someone here already has experience.

I understand that with recent changes to the GI Bill the stipend for living expenses (based on BAH) is now prorated so that we don't get paid during the winter break. Does this mean that December and January are also not fully counted towards the number of eligible months? For example, if winter break is from Dec 15 to Jan 15 (for the sake of simplicity) and students then only receive half of the stipend in those two months, do they also only count as one month towards the 36-month total?

Aeroneous

Postby Aeroneous » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:47 pm

ArmyVet07 wrote:I realize I might be able to get this question answered on the VA's GI Bill website, but perhaps someone here already has experience.

I understand that with recent changes to the GI Bill the stipend for living expenses (based on BAH) is now prorated so that we don't get paid during the winter break. Does this mean that December and January are also not fully counted towards the number of eligible months? For example, if winter break is from Dec 15 to Jan 15 (for the sake of simplicity) and students then only receive half of the stipend in those two months, do they also only count as one month towards the 36-month total?

I just recently changed my program of study and received a statement of remaining benefits. They actually take it down to the day now. If you are only in school through December 10th, you'll only use 10 days of benefits during the month of December (and only get paid for those 10 days). You're not getting double shafted by losing out on the winter break BAH and also losing months remaining on your 9/11. Time remaining and BAH are both prorated.

ArmyVet07

Postby ArmyVet07 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:11 am

Aeroneous wrote:
ArmyVet07 wrote:I realize I might be able to get this question answered on the VA's GI Bill website, but perhaps someone here already has experience.

I just recently changed my program of study and received a statement of remaining benefits. They actually take it down to the day now. If you are only in school through December 10th, you'll only use 10 days of benefits during the month of December (and only get paid for those 10 days). You're not getting double shafted by losing out on the winter break BAH and also losing months remaining on your 9/11. Time remaining and BAH are both prorated.

That's what I hoped, but I was worried the changes might be part of a cost-cutting program. So I will probably look into getting credit for a summer internship or two (and thus continue to receive BAH) without any fear of using up my eligible months (I had taken a couple of courses while on active duty that were paid for with my GI Bill -- having a Master's degree meant I couldn't get tuition assistance -- so I no longer have the full 36 months).

Postby 727813 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:57 am

Hey guys! (And gals) I have a question that I was hoping someone here may have some familiarity with......

I signed up for two classes at an online school (shall remain nameless for now) while on Active Duty. Due to internet problems (deployed) I realized I would not be able to successfully take the courses within the first 2 weeks. To make a long long long story short, I emailed my POC at the school and stated that I needed to withdraw. I was ignorant of the actual withdrawal process (first classes). The school did not tell me until 2 years later that the grades are not "W", but "FN" (F due to no attendance). After sending in letters to appeal, etc. nothing has happened. I can't get a person's name on the appeal committee for my Command to speak to. (No longer at the original command).

Should I keep playing ring-around-the-rosy with this school until Fall when I turn in my law school apps? Write my Congressman? If it doesn't work out write an addendum explaining the situation? If so, how much detail do I give? My GPA will drop 0.25 if those grades are factored into my LSAC GPA.....Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Postby 727813 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 am

ArmyVet07 wrote:
Aeroneous wrote:

That's what I hoped, but I was worried the changes might be part of a cost-cutting program. So I will probably look into getting credit for a summer internship or two (and thus continue to receive BAH) without any fear of using up my eligible months (I had taken a couple of courses while on active duty that were paid for with my GI Bill -- having a Master's degree meant I couldn't get tuition assistance -- so I no longer have the full 36 months).

I currently use the GI Bill. It's actually counted by days of use (not months as they advertise). You use it until the last day is gone. That is why they ask for exact dates of your semester classes. And yes, you only receive BAH for the exact days you are in class. The holdover days between semsters got eliminated starting in August 2011 -- you used to able to keep receiving BAH to tide you over, but not anymore.

WannaGo

Postby WannaGo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:58 am

I would plan on writing an addendum.

Most non-traditional universities have a student affairs or alumni relations department. I would find out who the head person of each department is and write them. If you still don't get a response, I would write to the chancellor/president of the university - but that's me and I tend to be a tad on the hasty side.

Would you mind PMing which university it is?

727813 wrote:Hey guys! (And gals) I have a question that I was hoping someone here may have some familiarity with......

I signed up for two classes at an online school (shall remain nameless for now) while on Active Duty. Due to internet problems (deployed) I realized I would not be able to successfully take the courses within the first 2 weeks. To make a long long long story short, I emailed my POC at the school and stated that I needed to withdraw. I was ignorant of the actual withdrawal process (first classes). The school did not tell me until 2 years later that the grades are not "W", but "FN" (F due to no attendance). After sending in letters to appeal, etc. nothing has happened. I can't get a person's name on the appeal committee for my Command to speak to. (No longer at the original command).

Should I keep playing ring-around-the-rosy with this school until Fall when I turn in my law school apps? Write my Congressman? If it doesn't work out write an addendum explaining the situation? If so, how much detail do I give? My GPA will drop 0.25 if those grades are factored into my LSAC GPA.....Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks!

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:38 am

WannaGo wrote:I would plan on writing an addendum.

Most non-traditional universities have a student affairs or alumni relations department. I would find out who the head person of each department is and write them. If you still don't get a response, I would write to the chancellor/president of the university - but that's me and I tend to be a tad on the hasty side.

Would you mind PMing which university it is?

727813 wrote:Hey guys! (And gals) I have a question that I was hoping someone here may have some familiarity with......

Thanks!

I assume you aren't applying to LS this cycle? If so, use the coming months to try and get in contact with someone. Also, sometimes withdrawals are counted against your GPA just the same as an F, so try and get it categorized as such. Are you still in the military? Have you worked with the education office? They should maintain some liason to all the schools.

I have written to and contacted schools on behalf of Soldiers under my command, and once I got the right person on the phone I was usually able to fix the issue quickly. None of my Soldiers were applying to law school though, so I really don't know if their withdrawals would pass by LSAC without being punitive. Their reasons were very similar - we were deployed and I told the school that because the interweb was SLOW, I could not accomodate a Soldier taking classes if it takes them 4 hours to get through uploading a 1mb file.

A lot of this may depend on the school too but I haven't found an institution yet, especially those contracted by the military, that don't live in fear of being dropped from the fat DoD contractor list. It will really be a matter of finding the right person on the other end of the phone that will listen long enough to understand your valid position in dropping classes.

jack.rose2

Postby jack.rose2 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:06 am

--LinkRemoved--

Talked to UW Veterans counselor, she told me that Veterans who have earned the war on terrorism ribbon qualify for in state tuition at 50%, includes law school, and counts even if you already used up your Chp 33 benefits. This sounds like a pretty good deal, anyone know someone who has used this? Or used this themselves?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”