Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby EMZE » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:37 pm

sky7, mind if I ask how your cycle played out?

Information about veterans cycles is somewhat hard to really nail down, but I have found it near impossible to really get any kind of perspective on how adcomms view service academy grads. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
sky7
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby sky7 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:07 pm

American - WL
Georgetown - Rejection
Catholic - WL
Mason - In
Maryland - In
GW - Attending

But I was applying for PT programs. At that time, they didn't count PT numbers against the school averages. That has changed. Not sure if I still would have gotten in, to be honest.

NavyLaw
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby NavyLaw » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Navy 0-3 applying to a bunch of schools way outside of my reach (167/3.7) and all my apps are in
Debating whether to go full time or stay at my current duty station in DC as a civilian and go part time

I don't have the combat/deployment experience as many of you have but hoping my technical background will be a solid soft. However, after going through some of these threads it doesn't seem like it will make up for more than a point or so on the LSAT.

Good luck!

User avatar
californihuh
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:15 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby californihuh » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:38 am

EMZE wrote:Damn. USMC E4 with a 169/3.8...
Not to self hate, but I don't think we have many joe's that smart in the Army.


Thank you for proving a point... at my expense. :shock:

sheffieldjordan wrote:This LSAT is from October 2011, taken at Bagram Airbase.


It freaking amazes me how other service members are able to study for and take the GRE/LSAT in theater. I remember when I was deployed, I was more interested in getting the job done and then off to beat Grand Theft Auto on my PSP. Then again, I was a dumb 20 year-old Pvt. without a BA.

Here I am in my A/C'd room with no obligations but to eat/breath/and study for the LSAT, which I'm already wayyyyy behind on... Stupid distractions. /the internet.

lemonlyman
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby lemonlyman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

EMZE wrote:
lemonlyman wrote:Quick plug for Columbia. We've got a great group of vets at Columbia Law (10 in the JD program and 2 in the LLM program) and if you, or any other vets you know have any questions about Columbia please let us know. Our website/contact info is here:

http://www.law.columbia.edu/military-as ... on/contact

Columbia is very supportive of vets and provides great resources, especially when dealing with the VA. If any vets are going to be in NYC make sure they get in contact with us -- free lunch and/or drinks. Best of luck all!


Haha. Shameless plug! Way to go and get all of our hopes up. Are you currently a student/faculty member?
Thanks for the contact info, I can only hope that I will need to use it.


I am a current 2L and very interested in making sure CLS continues to have a solid veteran presence in the law school. Please shoot me a message if anyone has questions.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby EMZE » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:35 am

californihuh wrote:
EMZE wrote:Damn. USMC E4 with a 169/3.8...
Not to self hate, but I don't think we have many joe's that smart in the Army.


Thank you for proving a point... at my expense. :shock:

sheffieldjordan wrote:This LSAT is from October 2011, taken at Bagram Airbase.


It freaking amazes me how other service members are able to study for and take the GRE/LSAT in theater. I remember when I was deployed, I was more interested in getting the job done and then off to beat Grand Theft Auto on my PSP. Then again, I was a dumb 20 year-old Pvt. without a BA.

Here I am in my A/C'd room with no obligations but to eat/breath/and study for the LSAT, which I'm already wayyyyy behind on... Stupid distractions. /the internet.



See, you are smart now. Maybe not so much when your existence revolved around carrying a M249 and 5 drums of ammo.

I was a grunt too. Granted, I was of the officer variety, but I am no stranger to the plight of an Infantryman.

jessie
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:13 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby jessie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm looking to apply next cycle, not this one, but I thought I'd post anyway.

Army Engineer (Captain)
Served as a PL and Company XO. Currently the S4.
Deployed to Iraq in '09.
Looking to apply through FLEP.
GPA: 3.57 (Aerospace Engineering), LSAT: 168 (plan to retake in June)

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:30 pm

NavyLaw wrote:Navy 0-3 applying to a bunch of schools way outside of my reach (167/3.7) and all my apps are in
Debating whether to go full time or stay at my current duty station in DC as a civilian and go part time

I don't have the combat/deployment experience as many of you have but hoping my technical background will be a solid soft. However, after going through some of these threads it doesn't seem like it will make up for more than a point or so on the LSAT.

Good luck!



I think you have a better than even shot at GULC, especially night. I used to work there, and the Navy/Marine team is very heavily represented and well loved by the alumni and senior "faculty" all across the University. I think admissions tries to keep them happy by showcasing young officers as much as possible.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby EMZE » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:35 pm

jessie wrote:I'm looking to apply next cycle, not this one, but I thought I'd post anyway.

Army Engineer (Captain)
Served as a PL and Company XO. Currently the S4.
Deployed to Iraq in '09.
Looking to apply through FLEP.
GPA: 3.57 (Aerospace Engineering), LSAT: 168 (plan to retake in June)


Welcome to the thread.

ArmyOfficer
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby ArmyOfficer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:30 am

Army Engineer (Captain)
Served as a PL and Company XO. Currently a BN S1.
Deployed to Iraq in 2009.
Have a FLEP packet in this year
LSDAS GPA: 4.08
LSAT: 167

User avatar
Paichka
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby Paichka » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 am

Army FLEP here -- 3L at GW. I also studied for and took the LSAT while deployed to Iraq in 08.

My stats:

Army Captain (MI type, one each)
3.3/169
2 deployments to Iraq

I applied to a bunch of schools, from Northwestern on down -- I have no idea if my experiences made any difference, I was waitlisted at several schools (Georgetown), dinged at a couple (Texas and UVA), and accepted everywhere else (GW, Vandy, Emory, W&M, Georgia, GMU). I think that's about how things would've shaken out even without my military experience -- that GPA just really hurt me, and I didn't offset it sufficiently with a high LSAT. I found out my husband was going to be deployed my 1L year, so I needed to be in DC near my parents so they could help with the munchkins -- that made the decision easy. GW also bent over backwards to help me out with the FLEP tuition requirement, so it was an absolute no-brainer.

I love GW. The community here is very supportive of the military, DC is like, the JAG mothership, and it's been a great three years.

Good luck with your cycles! If anyone has any questions about DC, GW, JAG, or applying in general, feel free to PM me.

User avatar
sky7
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby sky7 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:36 am

+1 - GW is very accommodating for the military. As someone who has bounced between the day and evening programs multiple times to accommodate my crazy shift work schedule at the Pentagon, I've been very appreciative of their support.

Dblock20165
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby Dblock20165 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Army vet, 5 yrs active, (E-5 for 2), 1 year in Iraq.
Graduated Defense Language Institute, Arabic. (Any other DLIers?)
3.2/165, retaking in December
Currently doing UG at George Mason, VA resident/homeowner.
Applying to George Mason, GW, and MAYBE GULC depending on the Dec LSAT score.

Also, I'm wondering why the fuck I wasted two years of my GI Bill on undergrad...

I think I will get in at George Mason, but waiting till the December LSAT to apply hoping to get a higher score.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby EMZE » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:42 pm

DBlock, send your apps in now. Applying around the New Year will hurt you. It isn't like your LSAT is so low that it will land your app in the garbage, and you can update your app once you get a new score.

NavyLaw
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby NavyLaw » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:55 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
NavyLaw wrote:Navy 0-3 applying to a bunch of schools way outside of my reach (167/3.7) and all my apps are in
Debating whether to go full time or stay at my current duty station in DC as a civilian and go part time

I don't have the combat/deployment experience as many of you have but hoping my technical background will be a solid soft. However, after going through some of these threads it doesn't seem like it will make up for more than a point or so on the LSAT.

Good luck!



I think you have a better than even shot at GULC, especially night. I used to work there, and the Navy/Marine team is very heavily represented and well loved by the alumni and senior "faculty" all across the University. I think admissions tries to keep them happy by showcasing young officers as much as possible.



Thanks for the perspective. I applied to GULC part time and will be participating in their group interview next week. I guess that means I'm right on the border. Do you know anyting about the group interview?

User avatar
californihuh
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:15 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby californihuh » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Dblock20165 wrote:Army vet, 5 yrs active, (E-5 for 2), 1 year in Iraq.
Graduated Defense Language Institute, Arabic. (Any other DLIers?)
3.2/165, retaking in December
Currently doing UG at George Mason, VA resident/homeowner.
Applying to George Mason, GW, and MAYBE GULC depending on the Dec LSAT score.

Also, I'm wondering why the fuck I wasted two years of my GI Bill on undergrad...

I think I will get in at George Mason, but waiting till the December LSAT to apply hoping to get a higher score.

verrrrry similar numbers. Except for the LSAT score; I haven't taken mine yet. Was thinking about DLI since I take the DLPT yearly anyways (2+/2-ish), but by the time I was considering reclassing, I only had a few years left in.

And truer words about wasting the GI Bill on undergrad. I want to kick myself in the ass. I've been hearing about this Yellow Ribbon talk an awful lot. If I'm still eligible for it, seeing how I've used up 2-years on my Post-9/11 for undergrad, then it might be something to look into.

(EDIT:) It looks like the Post 9/11 GI Bill is the Yellow Ribbon... just with a different title? Also interesting thing to note for all the Cali folk, UC Irvine and UC Berkeley are the only law schools in the UC system that participate in it for the upcoming school year. What the hells.... :|

sgt101st
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby sgt101st » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:06 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Hey fellow vets nice to see so many of you applying to law school. We need more lawyers with military experience. I applied last year and I'm a 1L currently. Anyway here is my info.

LSAT: 165/169
Ethnicity: URM (AA male)
GPA: 3.92
Masters GPA: 4.0
Military experience: Started off as enlisted then became a warrant officer got out as a CW2. Was stationed all over Germany and the Netherlands for the 5 yrs I was in the Army. Deployed twice, once for 15 months (I hate Army deployments). Worked in JAG my entire time in as enlisted and a officer. currently attending Harvard.
Applied: Everywhere, I received a ton of fee waivers and used those application to hone my final applications to the top schools. Not sure if this was the smart thing to do because it caused me to apply to a few schools late but I figured I'd rather have a perfect app than get it in early esp because I was deployed when my cycle began.
Rejected: NYU (I really think this had to do with my late application and them not thinking I would go there). Also waitlisted a few places, most notably U. of Chicago.
Accepted: A wide range of schools from Yale on down. Got into most of the t-14 I applied to and some lower ranked safety schools.
Advice: Your military experience is a nice boost to your application because it helps you to stick out. Accentuate in your personal statement. I know Harvard for one is really pushing to get more military people in the school. I think we have almost doubled our military enrollment over the last year. Also the GI bill is a beautiful thing. Going to law school for free relives a great deal of pressure esp. for people who are used to public service and may go back into that sector when done with law school. Take advantage of all the benefits you have earned and look at which school are better yellow ribbon schools and/or gives higher BAH than their competitors. That was part of the reason I choose Harvard over Yale. Have a great cycle guys and keep up the good work. I'm proud to have served with such an impressive group.


Very interested to hear about applying to Harvard. Currently attending American University.

GPA: 3.81 (Political Science), going up at the end of this semester
LSAT: 169 (Heavy curve on this October LSAT)
Ethnicity: Pasty White

Served 5 1/2 years as a 19D Cav Scout with the 101st (A trp, 187th Inf), got out as an E-5. 2 tours, 1 to Iraq and 1 to Afghanstian (last of the 15 month cycles with stop loss).


I've got 28 schools (all T20 and some safety below) on my application list thanks to my sister bank rolling my process. However, the dream school is Harvard. Had a grandfather attend HLS and wanted to attend ever since. What type of things would you recommend I highlight on my personal statement? I can't seem to find a convincing consensus as to whether I should file a URM addendum because of veteran status. I mentioned it in my personal statement and feel a bit weird trying to claim it for any special consideration.

Any additional recommendation you have would be much appreciated.

User avatar
sky7
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby sky7 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:22 am

I highly recommend that you write a "diversity statement". I have nothing like your military experience, and I think it helped me.

Oh - and retake the LSAT and try to get 170+, but I suppose that's obvious, if you want HLS.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:56 am

californihuh wrote:(EDIT:) It looks like the Post 9/11 GI Bill is the Yellow Ribbon... just with a different title? Also interesting thing to note for all the Cali folk, UC Irvine and UC Berkeley are the only law schools in the UC system that participate in it for the upcoming school year. What the hells.... :|


No, the YR is a part of the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Under YR, the school and the VA split the cost over what the Post 9/11 GI Bill covers. (e.g. difference between in-state & out-of-state tuition for public school or capped rate and cost at private.)

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:12 am

sgt101st wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:Hey fellow vets nice to see so many of you applying to law school. We need more lawyers with military experience. I applied last year and I'm a 1L currently. Anyway here is my info.

LSAT: 165/169
Ethnicity: URM (AA male)
GPA: 3.92
Masters GPA: 4.0
Military experience: Started off as enlisted then became a warrant officer got out as a CW2. Was stationed all over Germany and the Netherlands for the 5 yrs I was in the Army. Deployed twice, once for 15 months (I hate Army deployments). Worked in JAG my entire time in as enlisted and a officer. currently attending Harvard.
Applied: Everywhere, I received a ton of fee waivers and used those application to hone my final applications to the top schools. Not sure if this was the smart thing to do because it caused me to apply to a few schools late but I figured I'd rather have a perfect app than get it in early esp because I was deployed when my cycle began.
Rejected: NYU (I really think this had to do with my late application and them not thinking I would go there). Also waitlisted a few places, most notably U. of Chicago.
Accepted: A wide range of schools from Yale on down. Got into most of the t-14 I applied to and some lower ranked safety schools.
Advice: Your military experience is a nice boost to your application because it helps you to stick out. Accentuate in your personal statement. I know Harvard for one is really pushing to get more military people in the school. I think we have almost doubled our military enrollment over the last year. Also the GI bill is a beautiful thing. Going to law school for free relives a great deal of pressure esp. for people who are used to public service and may go back into that sector when done with law school. Take advantage of all the benefits you have earned and look at which school are better yellow ribbon schools and/or gives higher BAH than their competitors. That was part of the reason I choose Harvard over Yale. Have a great cycle guys and keep up the good work. I'm proud to have served with such an impressive group.


Very interested to hear about applying to Harvard. Currently attending American University.

GPA: 3.81 (Political Science), going up at the end of this semester
LSAT: 169 (Heavy curve on this October LSAT)
Ethnicity: Pasty White

Served 5 1/2 years as a 19D Cav Scout with the 101st (A trp, 187th Inf), got out as an E-5. 2 tours, 1 to Iraq and 1 to Afghanstian (last of the 15 month cycles with stop loss).


I've got 28 schools (all T20 and some safety below) on my application list thanks to my sister bank rolling my process. However, the dream school is Harvard. Had a grandfather attend HLS and wanted to attend ever since. What type of things would you recommend I highlight on my personal statement? I can't seem to find a convincing consensus as to whether I should file a URM addendum because of veteran status. I mentioned it in my personal statement and feel a bit weird trying to claim it for any special consideration.

Any additional recommendation you have would be much appreciated.


Pm'd you.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby mattviphky » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:12 pm

In the Air National Guard. I already burnt my GI Bill on undergrad, so that's not gonna help me in Law School, unfortunately. FWIW, Loyola Chicago is offering 4k automatically to anyone with public service experience that includes military, peace corps, tfa, etc.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby EMZE » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:11 pm

sgt101st wrote: Very interested to hear about applying to Harvard. Currently attending American University.

GPA: 3.81 (Political Science), going up at the end of this semester
LSAT: 169 (Heavy curve on this October LSAT)
Ethnicity: Pasty White

Served 5 1/2 years as a 19D Cav Scout with the 101st (A trp, 187th Inf), got out as an E-5. 2 tours, 1 to Iraq and 1 to Afghanstian (last of the 15 month cycles with stop loss).


I've got 28 schools (all T20 and some safety below) on my application list thanks to my sister bank rolling my process. However, the dream school is Harvard. Had a grandfather attend HLS and wanted to attend ever since. What type of things would you recommend I highlight on my personal statement? I can't seem to find a convincing consensus as to whether I should file a URM addendum because of veteran status. I mentioned it in my personal statement and feel a bit weird trying to claim it for any special consideration.

Any additional recommendation you have would be much appreciated.



Writing a diversity statement (DS), which is what I believe you are referring to as a URM addendum, is an awesome opportunity as a veteran to make yourself stand out. I have solicited advice from quite a few veterans who have been successful applicants , many of whom outperformed their numbers in the way of scholarships or admits, and it is your best opportunity to really show why x school will benefit from your matriculation. You can use your personal statement (PS) to write about anything, but a DS must be about just that, why you are diverse. Personally, I used my PS to write a narrative about some of experiences deployed, but my DS focuses much more on what it means to me to be a veteran who I am as a result in the way of perspectives, maturity, goals, etc.

Many schools, especially in the T30, ask for optional additional essays. Most pretty much give you option of writing about either why you want to attend X law school or what you have to offer in the way of diversity (the prompt is much longer, but this is its essence). For me personally, I had a hard time coming up with (uniquely) compelling reasons for why I wanted to attend X school, so I cherished to opportuntiy to satisfy the optional (read: imperative) essay requirement with a DS explaining how my experiences as an Infantry Platoon Leader have shaped my perspectives and who I am today, and all the reasons those experiences will allow me to contribute to a law school. Some schools will allow you to submit essays on both topics, so to not do at least one, while not (necessarily) detrimental to your application, would really be a lost opportunity.

What it important is that in your DS, you want to explain what it is that is differnt which you have the offer the school. As a veteran who served 2 deployments in a combat MOS, I am certain you can find something meaningful to talk about how you matured, your perspective because of your experiences, what injustices you witnessed and why they fuel your fervor for the law, leadership. All of these are things that set you apart, that make you diverse, when compared the the other 99% of the applicant pool who have not had such experiences. Understand as well that at tier 1 schools, most especially in the T14, there are very many applicants that have done amazing things for our world outside of the military, be it peace corps, teach for america, or one of a thousand other opportunities people have to impress a positive impact on society. To not elucidate on the great things you have done would be a disservice to your application.

If you would like to see my DS, please PM me. Granted, I am applying this cycle so whether mine is compelling or successful remains to be determined, but I would love to help if I can. Many other veterans (some active on this thread) have been instrumental in helping me along the process, so the least I can do is pay it forward.

And if I can offer you some motivation, I personally know of a veteran (from my unit) who applied to Harvard with numbers similar to yours (2 point lower LSAT, but slightly higher GPA) as a non-URM and is currently in attendance. So it can be done my friend.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:09 pm

mattviphky wrote:In the Air National Guard. I already burnt my GI Bill on undergrad, so that's not gonna help me in Law School, unfortunately. FWIW, Loyola Chicago is offering 4k automatically to anyone with public service experience that includes military, peace corps, tfa, etc.


Are you an Illinois resident? I thought state schools were free for veterans (I could be wrong). If so you might want to look at UIUC as well.

rckybbby
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:43 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby rckybbby » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:53 pm

.
Last edited by rckybbby on Tue May 15, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x77855
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:38 am

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby x77855 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:47 pm

I've just finished up a diversity statement from my deployment experiences if anyone is interested. I'd be happy to pm you rather than post publicly.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sanibella and 1 guest