Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wipfelder

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Wipfelder » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:27 am

CMac86 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
CMac86 wrote: My reach schools are Northwestern (1st choice) and University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana, but unless if I write a 170+, I don't think that will happen (I have several F's and WF's from the first two go-arounds of school).

What's your cumulative GPA?

It will depend on how I finish out undergrad. I'm at my third school. My first school was 2.16, second school was 2.47, and I'm on track to get at least a 3.5+ at my third school (where I will finish the degree). The first two schools I will be writing GPA addendums. So, I'm looking at a cumulative of 2.7-2.85. The first school will have been 11 years since I dropped out when I apply to law school and about 9 years since dropping for the second. I know that the GPA and related issues will limit school choice as well be a hurdle to gaining acceptance anywhere.

I think someone, somewhere has links to GPA calculators (Maybe LDAS?). It all depends on how many credits fall where. If the majority of your credits were in the 3.5 range (3rd school), you're probably sitting good. But, by and by, if you can pull a 170+, you'll get accepted somewhere cool. You'd be a lock for UIC-U and Notre Dame. NU, who knows, but a real chance anyways. I wouldn't even count U CHI out at this point.

CMac86

Postby CMac86 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
CMac86 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
CMac86 wrote: My reach schools are Northwestern (1st choice) and University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana, but unless if I write a 170+, I don't think that will happen (I have several F's and WF's from the first two go-arounds of school).

It will depend on how I finish out undergrad. I'm at my third school. My first school was 2.16, second school was 2.47, and I'm on track to get at least a 3.5+ at my third school (where I will finish the degree). The first two schools I will be writing GPA addendums. So, I'm looking at a cumulative of 2.7-2.85. The first school will have been 11 years since I dropped out when I apply to law school and about 9 years since dropping for the second. I know that the GPA and related issues will limit school choice as well be a hurdle to gaining acceptance anywhere.

I think someone, somewhere has links to GPA calculators (Maybe LDAS?). It all depends on how many credits fall where. If the majority of your credits were in the 3.5 range (3rd school), you're probably sitting good. But, by and by, if you can pull a 170+, you'll get accepted somewhere cool. You'd be a lock for UIC-U and Notre Dame. NU, who knows, but a real chance anyways. I wouldn't even count U CHI out at this point.

I dig it. I have used LSN and at least one other "What are my chances?" types of sites since joining this board. I'll look into GPA calculators. Thanks for the advice!

Just over half of the credit will be at the third school. I don't think I'll pull a 170. My cold practice test was a 153, after studying for just over a month I hit a 162, but then I took two months off due to touring...and now I'm back. I think a 165 is a possibility for my top end. I think I received credit for Boot Camp and A-School via transfer credit, as well.

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:14 pm

CMac86 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
CMac86 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

I dig it. I have used LSN and at least one other "What are my chances?" types of sites since joining this board. I'll look into GPA calculators. Thanks for the advice!

Just over half of the credit will be at the third school. I don't think I'll pull a 170. My cold practice test was a 153, after studying for just over a month I hit a 162, but then I took two months off due to touring...and now I'm back. I think a 165 is a possibility for my top end. I think I received credit for Boot Camp and A-School via transfer credit, as well.

Bro, retake in December?

CMac86

Postby CMac86 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
Bro, retake in December?

I think I used cold test wrong. I wrote the 153 on my first practice test that I completed before starting to study. I have yet to sit for an official test, only the ones completed in my house.

I'll have several opportunities. I'm shooting to enter in fall of 2019. So, depending on what I write this coming February, I could retake in September or December 2017, or even 2018.

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:52 pm

CMac86 wrote:I'll have several opportunities.

Then you should be aiming for a 170+......just saying, there is no reason you can't get there.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:47 pm

CMac86 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
Bro, retake in December?

I think I used cold test wrong. I wrote the 153 on my first practice test that I completed before starting to study. I have yet to sit for an official test, only the ones completed in my house.

I'll have several opportunities. I'm shooting to enter in fall of 2019. So, depending on what I write this coming February, I could retake in September or December 2017, or even 2018.

Recent NU grad/vet here if you have any questions.

Personally had a 3.0 LSAC UGPA so if you can hit median or better you're really not looking that bad. Pretty sure that's only a 167 right now so it should be doable. Just drill the shit out of PTs and use TLS to go over exams and you can get there.

Also, I wouldn't get too comfortable with the idea of retaking later, I think its a lot smarter to do it right the first time and get through 40+ full PTs. If you spread it out too much, or rely on retaking tests you've already done, your prep for follow up tests might not be as effective. Its like training for a marathon, you gotta peak at the right time.

CMac86

Postby CMac86 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Cobretti wrote:
CMac86 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
Bro, retake in December?

Recent NU grad/vet here if you have any questions.

Personally had a 3.0 LSAC UGPA so if you can hit median or better you're really not looking that bad. Pretty sure that's only a 167 right now so it should be doable. Just drill the shit out of PTs and use TLS to go over exams and you can get there.

Also, I wouldn't get too comfortable with the idea of retaking later, I think its a lot smarter to do it right the first time and get through 40+ full PTs. If you spread it out too much, or rely on retaking tests you've already done, your prep for follow up tests might not be as effective. Its like training for a marathon, you gotta peak at the right time.

Thanks for the advice! My goal is to get it right the first time, but I'm leaving retakes a potential. If my estimates are correct, I'll be doing at least 50 PT's prior to the test date (about 2 per week until the last month). I'm hoping that the progress this time around will be the same/better than the previous round of studying. Previously, I went from 150 to 162 in about 4 weeks...and then I took two months off. I'm a week into my current study plan and went from 153 to 155.

When did you graduate? I used to date someone that goes there prior to my PCS'ing to Rhode Island (previous duty station was Great Lakes), I think she graduates next year.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:30 pm

CMac86 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:Recent NU grad/vet here if you have any questions.

Thanks for the advice! My goal is to get it right the first time, but I'm leaving retakes a potential. If my estimates are correct, I'll be doing at least 50 PT's prior to the test date (about 2 per week until the last month). I'm hoping that the progress this time around will be the same/better than the previous round of studying. Previously, I went from 150 to 162 in about 4 weeks...and then I took two months off. I'm a week into my current study plan and went from 153 to 155.

When did you graduate? I used to date someone that goes there prior to my PCS'ing to Rhode Island (previous duty station was Great Lakes), I think she graduates next year.

Just graduated. Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat.

mike72

Postby mike72 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:30 pm

CMac86 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

I'm in literally the exact situation. I had a 3.6 graduation GPA, but didn't realize the 4 classes I failed in 2004, before I joined the Navy, would be counted. That dropped it to a 2.95, at least I think. We'll see what happens once LSAC evaluates the credits. I'm definitely going to write a GPA addendum.

I'm applying to Duke, Northwestern, UCLA, Notre Dame, Georgetown and Harvard (LOL). If I can get in any of those schools I'll be happy. Where are you trying to go?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Same thing happened to me. The classes I took at the community college the summer before my junior and senior years in high school carried more weight than the Masters degree I just finished. LSAC is flawed.

CMac86

Postby CMac86 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:25 pm

mike72 wrote:
CMac86 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

I'm in literally the exact situation. I had a 3.6 graduation GPA, but didn't realize the 4 classes I failed in 2004, before I joined the Navy, would be counted. That dropped it to a 2.95, at least I think. We'll see what happens once LSAC evaluates the credits. I'm definitely going to write a GPA addendum.

I'm applying to Duke, Northwestern, UCLA, Notre Dame, Georgetown and Harvard (LOL). If I can get in any of those schools I'll be happy. Where are you trying to go?

I feel your pain. When I dropped the first time (in 2008), I was not thinking this far out.

As far as where I'm trying to go, I'm focused on Chicago schools. My top choice is Northwestern. The others that I am looking at are Chicago-Kent, DePaul, and Loyola-Chicago. I think I would be happy going to any of those schools. My "uh oh" level safety school is Northern Illinois. I have fairly strong ties to Chicago (undergrad round one, working as a musician, jobs prior to enlisting, my family is in the Midwest), and would like to live and practice there. It is a very livable big city, and has felt the most like home out of anywhere I have ever lived (including the town that I grew up).

MichiganHoosier

Postby MichiganHoosier » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Hello gents!

I'm deploying to Afghanistan and will be there for 6 months. I'm currently a PL for an infantry platoon, and that is my top priority. But if and when I do get some time to myself, I brought all of my power score bible LSAT books and some official tests. I'm just looking for any advice on how to maximize my study time and just some LSAT study tips in general. I took the LSAT back in fall of 2013 when I was a senior in college and scored a 152 (4 out of 23 on logic games, atrocious, I know) so I am trying to improve greatly upon that. I'll be in Kuwait with reliable wifi for the next 36 hours so any and all advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:36 pm

MichiganHoosier wrote:Hello gents!

I'm deploying to Afghanistan and will be there for 6 months. I'm currently a PL for an infantry platoon, and that is my top priority. But if and when I do get some time to myself, I brought all of my power score bible LSAT books and some official tests. I'm just looking for any advice on how to maximize my study time and just some LSAT study tips in general. I took the LSAT back in fall of 2013 when I was a senior in college and scored a 152 (4 out of 23 on logic games, atrocious, I know) so I am trying to improve greatly upon that. I'll be in Kuwait with reliable wifi for the next 36 hours so any and all advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Save all your tax-free money, and your leave days, and study for the test full-time upon completion of your PL time. If you give 100% (and your CO/BN CO arn't douchebags) to your job, they will "hook you up" with a 9 to 5 type of assignment after you're done being a meat-eater.

Train, Gym, Stack Bodies, Sleep, Train, Gym.......If you get free time out of that, do something unique and cool, like hang out with Afghan Army dudes.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:13 am

If you ignore Wipfelder's advice (I would not), the most I would do in your boots is get the really old logic games from the early (pre-50ish, I guess) PTs and just work through them as stand alone puzzle games. Keeps your mind sharp, can be done in the field, and you'll start seeing patterns over time that will help you later.

But, I was a POG that got a degree while deployed to OEF and OIF so your mileage may vary.

Stay safe.

MichiganHoosier

Postby MichiganHoosier » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:21 am

Thank you for the responses guys. Only concern I have is being slotted into an XO position once my PL time is over. But I guess I can deal with that when it comes.

WarriorPoet

Postby WarriorPoet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:09 pm

Hello all,

Marine Corps infantry officer here, 5 OIF/OEF deployments, taking TERA/medical retirement next summer and looking to start law school next fall. I have a 3.58 GPA from Johns Hopkins, but that was dragged down by all the pre-med courses I took. I am taking the LSAT next month and I am pretty consistently practicing in the mid to upper 160s.

I kind of have my heart set on UVA since it is the best school I can go to without relocating my family (and Lord knows they've done enough of that). If I don't get into UVA, I will have a tough choice between moving my family, a brutal commute to Georgetown, or going to a much lower ranked school like University of Richmond or William and Mary.

According to UVA Law School's stats, my GPA and (presumptive) LSAT put me a bit below the median for both, but within the 25-75% range. For those who have some experience with the process, I was just wondering what my chances of admission are realistically-- does the vet card help out an application that's otherwise not going to be particularly exciting to them? I have solid references (pretty much all O5s-O7s), I interview well, and I'm a Virginia resident, if any of that matters. Thank you!

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Last edited by Redfactor on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mcsale02

Postby Mcsale02 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:25 am

Hey there,

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I've been following this thread for a few months. A couple years ago I was on a long and boring TDY where I found myself reading supreme court decisions for fun. Seriously, I enjoyed it. As a history major, I was surprised by the amount of history involved and it peaked my interest in law school, so I decided to started researching the possibilities. I'm in my final semester and will hopefully graduate with a 3.6 major gpa. My LSAC gpa will be lower, due to immature mistakes made prior to, well, maturing. Decades have passed, so I'm hoping schools will note the increase in gpa. Speaking of maturity, I feel kinda old (in my mid 40's) to be pursuing law school. My biggest concern at this point in the game is creating a smooth transition from active duty to civilian life and law school for my family. Here is my current timeline:

Graduate in Dec 2016
LSAT February 2017
Retake LSAT in June if needed
Apply to schools in September for Fall 2018, considering early binding decision for UVA, and blanketing all schools that accept app waivers, plus a few others.

I do ETS in January 2018, but I may extend to DEROS or, even better, end of July 2018. The hardest part should be finding a home with no job. Which reminds me, anyone have luck getting a scholarship switched from tuition and fees to living expenses? I'd rather make that happen then blow through savings.

ETA: Anyone serve in the NG whole attending law school? Tricare may suck at times, but I've paid big money for healthcare pre-Army. With a wife and kids I need to provide healthcare for them.

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:52 am

Mcsale02 wrote:Hey there,

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I've been following this thread for a few months. A couple years ago I was on a long and boring TDY where I found myself reading supreme court decisions for fun. Seriously, I enjoyed it. As a history major, I was surprised by the amount of history involved and it peaked my interest in law school, so I decided to started researching the possibilities. I'm in my final semester and will hopefully graduate with a 3.6 major gpa. My LSAC gpa will be lower, due to immature mistakes made prior to, well, maturing. Decades have passed, so I'm hoping schools will note the increase in gpa. Speaking of maturity, I feel kinda old (in my mid 40's) to be pursuing law school. My biggest concern at this point in the game is creating a smooth transition from active duty to civilian life and law school for my family. Here is my current timeline:

Graduate in Dec 2016
LSAT February 2017
Retake LSAT in June if needed
Apply to schools in September for Fall 2018, considering early binding decision for UVA, and blanketing all schools that accept app waivers, plus a few others.

I do ETS in January 2018, but I may extend to DEROS or, even better, end of July 2018. The hardest part should be finding a home with no job. Which reminds me, anyone have luck getting a scholarship switched from tuition and fees to living expenses? I'd rather make that happen then blow through savings.

ETA: Anyone serve in the NG whole attending law school? Tricare may suck at times, but I've paid big money for healthcare pre-Army. With a wife and kids I need to provide healthcare for them.

So my healthcare through my school is covered by the GI bill. They do that if you're required by the school to have insurance.

Mcsale02

Postby Mcsale02 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:56 am

Dcc617 wrote:
So my healthcare through my school is covered by the GI bill. They do that if you're required by the school to have insurance.

Considered that, but I would assume the school insurance would only cover the student.

M052322

Postby M052322 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:02 am

As for being old, put your mind at ease. You will most likely have a couple in your classes even older. In my mid thirties, there's still a few older than me in my 1L section, one lady has kids old enough to be in our class. I've noticed those of us with a little more "mileage" tend to be a little more grounded, better prepared for class, asking better questions, and less flustered when cold-called by profs.

I'm doing Navy SELRES during 1L. It's a pain, but in my opinion worth it for the little bit of cash to avoid loans. Try to pick a billet without "homework" if you can. It's not the 1 weekend/mo, 2 weeks/yr, that gets you. It's the hours during the weeks they want from you when you've got reading to do. I'll see if I change my mind around finals.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:18 pm

M052322 wrote: I've noticed those of us with a little more "mileage" tend to be a little more grounded, better prepared for class, asking better questions, and less flustered when cold-called by profs.

Our Profs have told us this as well, they say the actual life experience goes a long way.

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:07 pm

WarriorPoet wrote:Hello all,

Marine Corps infantry officer here, 5 OIF/OEF deployments, taking TERA/medical retirement next summer and looking to start law school next fall. I have a 3.58 GPA from Johns Hopkins, but that was dragged down by all the pre-med courses I took. I am taking the LSAT next month and I am pretty consistently practicing in the mid to upper 160s.

I kind of have my heart set on UVA since it is the best school I can go to without relocating my family (and Lord knows they've done enough of that). If I don't get into UVA, I will have a tough choice between moving my family, a brutal commute to Georgetown, or going to a much lower ranked school like University of Richmond or William and Mary.

According to UVA Law School's stats, my GPA and (presumptive) LSAT put me a bit below the median for both, but within the 25-75% range. For those who have some experience with the process, I was just wondering what my chances of admission are realistically-- does the vet card help out an application that's otherwise not going to be particularly exciting to them? I have solid references (pretty much all O5s-O7s), I interview well, and I'm a Virginia resident, if any of that matters. Thank you!

Hey there,

I'm a 1L at UVA Law and a Navy vet. PM me if you have any questions or need any advice. UVA is a very vet-friendly school and I've had a great experience since the day I applied.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:39 am

Last edited by MT Cicero on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:39 am

Updated GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon spreadsheet in next post so it's at the top of the page.
Last edited by MT Cicero on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”