Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dcc617

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Dcc617 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:39 pm

So I got my VA certification in the mail today, and I was wondering how much school I get with 29 months of eligibility. I'm asking because my prospective school does a year abroad thing that requires an extra semester to do, and it would be really cool if I could use my GI bill to cover it.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

BNA

Postby BNA » Tue May 10, 2016 4:47 pm

Dcc617 wrote:So I got my VA certification in the mail today, and I was wondering how much school I get with 29 months of eligibility. I'm asking because my prospective school does a year abroad thing that requires an extra semester to do, and it would be really cool if I could use my GI bill to cover it.

Tried to use GiB for study abroad and was denied. Unless your school will classify the expense as tuition instead of a fee, you won't get any help. I did a bit of research and still haven't found a school that calls their study abroad expense tuition.

Also, I know that doesn't answer your question, but I thought I'd get out in front of it.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue May 10, 2016 5:36 pm

Dcc617 wrote:So I got my VA certification in the mail today, and I was wondering how much school I get with 29 months of eligibility. I'm asking because my prospective school does a year abroad thing that requires an extra semester to do, and it would be really cool if I could use my GI bill to cover it.

I've used up 15.5 months of eligibility over the course of 1L and 2L. If you have any eligibility left at the beginning of a semester, the GI Bill will cover that whole semester, so you could possibly get four full years of law school done with 29 months of eligibility. But as the other replies pointed out, you might not be able to get your school to classify the study abroad as something the GI Bill will pay for.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue May 10, 2016 5:44 pm

29 months should cover the entirety of law school no problem. I'm done with 2L, took a summer practicum and an intersession class, and have currently used 17 months and 13 days. I went back into eBenefits to confirm it includes my most recent semester, and if my math's correct, it does.

My understanding is that BNA's post is correct as to non-required fees. If you do a year abroad, make sure you know which are required fees and which are optional. The latter aren't covered.

If you need an extra semester, most schools will hook you up if you have any availability left. The fact that I could get to 4 years at only 35 months including two extra sessions makes me think than 29 hours in 3.5 years should be jumbo.

Edit: Scooped!

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:57 pm

BNA wrote:

Tried to use GiB for study abroad and was denied. Unless your school will classify the expense as tuition instead of a fee, you won't get any help. I did a bit of research and still haven't found a school that calls their study abroad expense tuition.

Also, I know that doesn't answer your question, but I thought I'd get out in front of it.

See, I sort of figured that it would cover it as long as it went through my school? Like, if my school is charging me the same tuition and fees as it would if I were in the US, why wouldn't it count?

I'll do the research, but I am just wondering.

ETA: Thanks for all of the responses.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue May 10, 2016 6:47 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
BNA wrote:

See, I sort of figured that it would cover it as long as it went through my school? Like, if my school is charging me the same tuition and fees as it would if I were in the US, why wouldn't it count?

I think it would probably cover the standard tuition, even if you weren't at your school (ie, abroad). You just need to see whether there are any "fees" associated with this, and whether the school classifies them as mandatory. For the smaller trips abroad (as part of an international project class), the entire trip's costs are considered non-mandatory fees even though you have to go on the trip as part of the class. I think that makes sense, and I don't think study abroad is a parallel.

Just check it out and contact your financial person ahead of time so you're not dealing with a hassle later on.

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:59 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
I think it would probably cover the standard tuition, even if you weren't at your school (ie, abroad). You just need to see whether there are any "fees" associated with this, and whether the school classifies them as mandatory. For the smaller trips abroad (as part of an international project class), the entire trip's costs are considered non-mandatory fees even though you have to go on the trip as part of the class. I think that makes sense, and I don't think study abroad is a parallel.

Just check it out and contact your financial person ahead of time so you're not dealing with a hassle later on.

I will.

wajj22

Postby wajj22 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:46 am

Quick question:

I graduated undergrad from Georgia State University and did use around 24 months of 9/11 GI Bill. I would like to use my remaining benefits at Georgia State University College of Law starting this fall.

Do I need to complete VONAPP Form 22-1995 (Change Program/Place of Training)?

The military affairs office on the campus is telling me NO; however, I have my doubts at their understanding of veterans benefits. And, I am worried that come July/August - they are going to be asking me, why I did not fill out the proper form.

Any advice? Is there any harm in me completing the form?

Thanks!

FearTheBeard86

Postby FearTheBeard86 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:17 am

Dcc617 wrote:
BNA wrote:

I'm graduating from Boston University this weekend. I studied abroad in Switzerland for the fall of 2014 with no problems from the VA. My school billed me for regular tuition or similar amount I believe. YRP and GI Bill stuff processed just like any other semester.

BNA

Postby BNA » Sun May 15, 2016 10:15 am

FearTheBeard86 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
BNA wrote:

I'm graduating from Boston University this weekend. I studied abroad in Switzerland for the fall of 2014 with no problems from the VA. My school billed me for regular tuition or similar amount I believe. YRP and GI Bill stuff processed just like any other semester.

Law school or undergrad?

dannyswo

Postby dannyswo » Tue May 17, 2016 7:42 am

I've decided to look at any school south of Malibu and west of (or close enough to see) the 5. Someone pointed me to Pepperdine because their YRP covers 100%. It'll take a huge chunk of change to live anywhere close to the school, though. I think UC Irvine will be my top choice, though it's a reach given my pedestrian scores.

knowcompinc

Postby knowcompinc » Fri May 20, 2016 7:03 pm

dannyswo wrote:I've decided to look at any school south of Malibu and west of (or close enough to see) the 5. Someone pointed me to Pepperdine because their YRP covers 100%. It'll take a huge chunk of change to live anywhere close to the school, though. I think UC Irvine will be my top choice, though it's a reach given my pedestrian scores.

Yes Pepperdine covers 100%. I will be enrolling their in August and the YRP will be covering full tuition.

CMac86

Postby CMac86 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:35 pm

Thought I'd jump into this thread.

I'm also a Navy MU...there seems to be a lot of us. I think I've worked with at least a few of the others. I'm finishing up my undergrad while on active duty through a combination of TA and out of pocket. The thing that I have learned so far is that I need a high LSAT score to make up for some bad decisions eight to ten years ago (withdrawing from classes after the drop dead line). I still have about three years left on my AD contact, and pending any med boards-I'll be in till that time. I get evaluated yearly to see if my condition (blood clots) have worsened to the point of requiring a med board/medical retirement.

I've read about this elsewhere, but have any of you started class while on terminal leave? I think I read that you won't be able to get the housing allowance from GI BIll until the following semester or month...that seems a little confusing. The reason for asking is my EAOS is in late September, but pending command approval, I'll be on terminal leave at the end of July (full 60 days).

Did any of you take a gap year between military service and starting school? If I can't get terminal leave approved, that is my plan.

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Sun May 22, 2016 8:42 pm

CMac86 wrote:Thought I'd jump into this thread.

I'm also a Navy MU...there seems to be a lot of us. I think I've worked with at least a few of the others. I'm finishing up my undergrad while on active duty through a combination of TA and out of pocket. The thing that I have learned so far is that I need a high LSAT score to make up for some bad decisions eight to ten years ago (withdrawing from classes after the drop dead line). I still have about three years left on my AD contact, and pending any med boards-I'll be in till that time. I get evaluated yearly to see if my condition (blood clots) have worsened to the point of requiring a med board/medical retirement.

I've read about this elsewhere, but have any of you started class while on terminal leave? I think I read that you won't be able to get the housing allowance from GI BIll until the following semester or month...that seems a little confusing. The reason for asking is my EAOS is in late September, but pending command approval, I'll be on terminal leave at the end of July (full 60 days).

Did any of you take a gap year between military service and starting school? If I can't get terminal leave approved, that is my plan.

PMed

BNA

Postby BNA » Sun May 22, 2016 9:05 pm

CMac86 wrote:Thought I'd jump into this thread.

I took a gap 8 months between terminal and first semester. I also finished the last two years of undergrad while active duty Navy and tried to recover from a horrendous first two years. I was accepted with scholarships to every school that I beat the 75% lsat while under the 25% gpa. Feel free to message me if you'd like to discuss. Between otter and myself, I'm sure you'll get some good information. My advice is to wait until you are able to use the GiB before starting. It may allow you to (1) retake the lsat, (2) decompress after the enlistment, and (3) be sure you're life is in order so you can begin school without stressing over things like relocation and finances in the months leading up to your first year.

dannyswo

Postby dannyswo » Tue May 24, 2016 7:15 am

knowcompinc wrote:
dannyswo wrote:I've decided to look at any school south of Malibu and west of (or close enough to see) the 5. Someone pointed me to Pepperdine because their YRP covers 100%. It'll take a huge chunk of change to live anywhere close to the school, though. I think UC Irvine will be my top choice, though it's a reach given my pedestrian scores.

Yes Pepperdine covers 100%. I will be enrolling their in August and the YRP will be covering full tuition.

Have you looked at places to live? Malibu is amazing, but I feel like I'll be taking out a loan to live there.

knowcompinc

Postby knowcompinc » Tue May 24, 2016 3:13 pm

dannyswo wrote:
knowcompinc wrote:

Have you looked at places to live? Malibu is amazing, but I feel like I'll be taking out a loan to live there.

On the Pepperdine website, they recommend an apartment complex that is dog friendly, called Malibu Canyons. Its technically in Calabasas.

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:34 pm

I got my HHG shipping extension approved today. I wanted to extend my initial six months of entitlements so that I didn't have to move up to my school until closer to the start date.

If anyone is in a similar situation feel free to PM me and I can send you my packet and stuff.

dannyswo

Postby dannyswo » Tue May 31, 2016 7:28 am

knowcompinc wrote:On the Pepperdine website, they recommend an apartment complex that is dog friendly, called Malibu Canyons. Its technically in Calabasas.

Four resort-style pools with surrounding cabanas and two fireplace lounges can be enjoyed at Malibu Canyon. Here, you can enjoy an active lifestyle with a workout in the two-story fitness center or a game on the tennis and basketball courts. Invite friends over to enjoy a meal in the outdoor kitchen, which features gas grills. Head to the stylish clubhouse, which offers complimentary coffee, a full kitchen and conference room. Each one-, two- and three-bedroom home features high-ceilings, wood floors and a private patio or balcony. Whip up a meal in the fully-equipped kitchen, which includes a white-on-white appliance package and granite countertops. Homes also feature an in-unit washer and dryer set as well as large closets for added storage.

Yeah, that looks pretty good.

NU Pastime

Postby NU Pastime » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:43 pm

Last edited by NU Pastime on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dannyswo

Postby dannyswo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:48 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:
doobleykah wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:Hey everyone long time since I last posted here and I have another question.

I was recently granted a scholarship at UT Austin. I'm already GI Bill elligible so I need to have the scholarship set up so that it can be used for housing etc... so it wont toll against my GI Bill. I inquired with UT (and a lot of other schools) before applying and they confirmed they can do this. Is there any special verbiage I need to use to now request this?

BTW can you send a PM of the schools who had already said theyd play ball?

Michigan would, Texas would, Cornell gave me the run around on answering, CU Boulder would as well. GTown would not. Those are what I remember. I applied last cycle and deferred.

Man, that's great.

CenterFringe

Diversity Statement

Postby CenterFringe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:45 pm

For those who applied to a T-6 school, did you include a diversity statement for your military service? My initial inclination was not to, but the more I think about it, the more concerned I am that not submitting one sends the wrong message. Also, my personal statement did not cover much by way of my time in the military.

OtterLaw

Re: Diversity Statement

Postby OtterLaw » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:51 pm

CenterFringe wrote:For those who applied to a T-6 school, did you include a diversity statement for your military service? My initial inclination was not to, but the more I think about it, the more concerned I am that not submitting one sends the wrong message. Also, my personal statement did not cover much by way of my time in the military.

My personal statement kind of described my path to the military, but I did include my military service in a diversity statement to each school (along with being a non-traditional student at 32 and being LGBT). I see no reason why you wouldn't highlight your military service in such a statement. It can certainly make your application stand out and there is no downside to it.

ETA: my military service was the main topic of conversation in my interview with UVA which I think is what ultimately let me squeak in. My LSAT was low for UVA and now I'm attending this fall FWIW.

UnicornHunter

Re: Diversity Statement

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:24 pm

CenterFringe wrote:For those who applied to a T-6 school, did you include a diversity statement for your military service? My initial inclination was not to, but the more I think about it, the more concerned I am that not submitting one sends the wrong message. Also, my personal statement did not cover much by way of my time in the military.

I'd be surprised if it mattered but it can't hurt as long as it's well written and not redundant so yolo.

sodomojo

Postby sodomojo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:31 am

Not sure if I'll get any response to this question, but figured I'd ask anyways.

I'm currently a rising senior in ROTC with a 3.87 GPA. I intend to serve for 3-5 years, get out, and apply to law school. The problem is I'm concerned that my PMS (the O-5 that teaches the senior-level ROTC academic courses) is a tougher grader than I've experienced so far from previous ROTC courses taught by other officers. I'm considering disenrolling (assuming I'll be able to get out of my contract without involuntary enlistment - I'm optimistic considering the current downsizing) and going to OCS instead post-grad. I would presume that getting in would not be a problem for me - but if anyone has any useful info about OCS or the application process/selectivity, please let me know.

With that said, my question is should I stay in ROTC and risk losing around .05 on my GPA (give or take, based on 9 credits of ROTC courses and a mandatory 5 credit military history course during senior year) - or disenroll from ROTC and dedicate 5-6 months after undergrad for OCS?

The military is certainly something I want to do for a few years, but it's not my long term goal and I don't see myself carving out a career in it - that's why the potential GPA hit is so important to me. Correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I'm wrong), but losing .05 on where my GPA is right now could be a difference maker. My goal is to get into a T6, preferably HYS if my LSAT allows.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”