Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cbp
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby cbp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:22 pm

virtus26 wrote:Is anyone considering National Guard during Law School?

I'm debating between taking a cush admin job vs. getting in line for command of an infantry company.

I have no clue what it's like on the NG side, any input would be appreciated.


I decided against it. I figure that the one weekend a month would cut into study time a bit. The two weeks a year could cut into internship/summer associate positions. And a deployment could derail everything for a year or more.

virtus26
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:29 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby virtus26 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:28 pm

cbp wrote:
virtus26 wrote:Is anyone considering National Guard during Law School?

I'm debating between taking a cush admin job vs. getting in line for command of an infantry company.

I have no clue what it's like on the NG side, any input would be appreciated.


I decided against it. I figure that the one weekend a month would cut into study time a bit. The two weeks a year could cut into internship/summer associate positions. And a deployment could derail everything for a year or more.


My rational with the deployment is the 2 year stabilization -- which leaves a year, but guess that's the gamble.

All valid points regardless.

Although, pay for an O3 at 8 years is pretty legit for a weekend a month + two weeks a year. $12k less per year of loans I'd have to take out.

I guess I should mention I'm only getting 50% of GI Bill.
Last edited by virtus26 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbp
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby cbp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 pm

virtus26 wrote:
cbp wrote:
virtus26 wrote:Is anyone considering National Guard during Law School?

I'm debating between taking a cush admin job vs. getting in line for command of an infantry company.

I have no clue what it's like on the NG side, any input would be appreciated.


I decided against it. I figure that the one weekend a month would cut into study time a bit. The two weeks a year could cut into internship/summer associate positions. And a deployment could derail everything for a year or more.


My rational with the deployment is the 2 year stabilization -- which leaves a year, but guess that's the gamble.

All valid points regardless.

Although, pay for an O3 at 8 years is pretty legit for a weekend a month + two weeks a year. $12k less of loans I'd have to take out.

I guess I should mention I'm only getting 50% of GI Bill.


That does change the numbers quite a bit. I was looking at it from the perspective of an E-4 with 6 in and 100% GI Bill. I don't know a tremendous amount about the work loads of officers in the NG because I am neither of those things. There is probably someone out there who can better answer your question.

cbp
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby cbp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:57 pm

virtus26 wrote:
cbp wrote:
virtus26 wrote:Is anyone considering National Guard during Law School?

I'm debating between taking a cush admin job vs. getting in line for command of an infantry company.

I have no clue what it's like on the NG side, any input would be appreciated.


I decided against it. I figure that the one weekend a month would cut into study time a bit. The two weeks a year could cut into internship/summer associate positions. And a deployment could derail everything for a year or more.


My rational with the deployment is the 2 year stabilization -- which leaves a year, but guess that's the gamble.

All valid points regardless.

Although, pay for an O3 at 8 years is pretty legit for a weekend a month + two weeks a year. $12k less per year of loans I'd have to take out.

I guess I should mention I'm only getting 50% of GI Bill.


I've thought about this for a little while here. For me, $12k wouldn't be worth the risk. My goal with law school is to get into the best firm that I can. The best firm should provide more than adequate compensation for me to suck up another $12k in loan debt. Also, the big law summer associate jobs are paying about $3k a week (anecdotal from a friend). If summer training cost you that, you would be taking a net negative for your NG service. Food for thought.

ETA: I see now that you said $12k/year. I still stick by my decision (even with your numbers), but the ground got a bit more loose.

User avatar
OLitch
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby OLitch » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:22 am

MichiganMan87 wrote:Question for the crowd,

I have 15 months of MGIB benefits remaining and am trying to figure out how to maximize benefits. I've heard conflicting reports on how to maximize my remaining benefits.

Option 1: I can use the 15 months of MGIB, once exhausted I will get 12 additional months of Post 9/11 benefits, I will pay a little out of pocket for the first 15 months, and then the remainder of school will be entirely covered plus E-5 BAH.

Option 2: I can switch to Post 9/11 Bill and will get only 15 months of benefits, but it will entirely cover the 15 months plus E-5 BAH.

Can anyone confirm that the 12 additional months of Post 9/11 benefits is true? I would be pretty upset if I don't switch to Post 9/11, use the MGIB and then find out I don't get the extra 12 months. I've called the VA and talked to a rep on base, they've contradicted each other, and I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from either.


I had 2 months left on my MGIB when it expired. I applied for the post 9/11 GIB and received the 12 months plus the two unused months. Call the VA to see if your unused time will roll over if it is before the expiration date. Do not ask your rep on base, call the VA hotline.

An additional factor to consider is the yellow ribbon. If the GIBill does not cover the cost of tuition AND the school offers the YP, you may want to consider option 1. The YR is only awarded if you are using your GIBill at the same time.

Your best bet is to do some basic math for each year and then compare the overall total.

Good luck!

MichiganMan87
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby MichiganMan87 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:56 am

OLitch wrote:
MichiganMan87 wrote:Question for the crowd,

I have 15 months of MGIB benefits remaining and am trying to figure out how to maximize benefits. I've heard conflicting reports on how to maximize my remaining benefits.

Option 1: I can use the 15 months of MGIB, once exhausted I will get 12 additional months of Post 9/11 benefits, I will pay a little out of pocket for the first 15 months, and then the remainder of school will be entirely covered plus E-5 BAH.

Option 2: I can switch to Post 9/11 Bill and will get only 15 months of benefits, but it will entirely cover the 15 months plus E-5 BAH.

Can anyone confirm that the 12 additional months of Post 9/11 benefits is true? I would be pretty upset if I don't switch to Post 9/11, use the MGIB and then find out I don't get the extra 12 months. I've called the VA and talked to a rep on base, they've contradicted each other, and I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from either.


I had 2 months left on my MGIB when it expired. I applied for the post 9/11 GIB and received the 12 months plus the two unused months. Call the VA to see if your unused time will roll over if it is before the expiration date. Do not ask your rep on base, call the VA hotline.

An additional factor to consider is the yellow ribbon. If the GIBill does not cover the cost of tuition AND the school offers the YP, you may want to consider option 1. The YR is only awarded if you are using your GIBill at the same time.

Your best bet is to do some basic math for each year and then compare the overall total.

Good luck!


The rollover would be awesome if I got 27 months of Post 9/11. I'll call again. Thanks OLitch!

ArmyRN
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:48 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ArmyRN » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:10 pm

I've finally heard back from every school. If anyone is curious what I got with my numbers, I updated my LSN profile.

Rank: O-3
GPA: 3.3
LSAT: 172


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Murse

User avatar
dodint
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:03 am

This is kind of random and only applies to a small pool of people, but I found out last night that veterans get their initial exam fees waived for their first take in Wisconsin.

http://dva.state.wi.us/Pages/educationE ... aiver.aspx

(3) ELIGIBILITY. For the purpose of being eligible for a license fee waiver under the program established under sub. (2), an applicant shall be applying for an initial license, shall not have received a previous fee waiver under the program for any type of license, and shall be all of the following:

(a) An individual.
(b) A resident​ of this state.
(c) A veteran, as defined in s. 45.01 (12) (a) to (f), or one of the following:

1. A member of a reserve component of the U.S. armed forces or of the national guard, as defined in 32 USC 101 (3), who has served under honorable conditions for at least one year beginning on the member's date of enlistment in a reserve component of the U.S. armed forces or in the national guard.
2. A person who was discharged from a reserve component of the U.S. armed forces or from the national guard, as defined in 32 USC 101 (3), if that discharge was an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable conditions.


Maybe someone will stumble upon this and find it useful someday. Other than me, of course.

User avatar
Nagster5
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Nagster5 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:48 am

ArmyRN wrote:I've finally heard back from every school. If anyone is curious what I got with my numbers, I updated my LSN profile.

Rank: O-3
GPA: 3.3
LSAT: 172


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Murse


Where you headed in the fall?

ArmyRN
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:48 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ArmyRN » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 am

Nagster5 wrote:
ArmyRN wrote:I've finally heard back from every school. If anyone is curious what I got with my numbers, I updated my LSN profile.

Rank: O-3
GPA: 3.3
LSAT: 172


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Murse


Where you headed in the fall?


Not entirely sure yet. I only qualify for 70% of the G.I. Bill. With this in mind, UM makes the most sense--it's nearly a full ride. I plan to email UVA today to see if they will match my UM scholarship. I really want to live and practice in either Austin or Denver, which makes UT and UC the wild cards.

User avatar
FairchildFLT
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:48 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:35 am

ArmyRN wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
ArmyRN wrote:I've finally heard back from every school. If anyone is curious what I got with my numbers, I updated my LSN profile.

Rank: O-3
GPA: 3.3
LSAT: 172


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Murse


Where you headed in the fall?


Not entirely sure yet. I only qualify for 70% of the G.I. Bill. With this in mind, UM makes the most sense--it's nearly a full ride. I plan to email UVA today to see if they will match my UM scholarship. I really want to live and practice in either Austin or Denver, which makes UT and UC the wild cards.


From everything I've heard Austin and Denver are incredibly insular communities to crack. Austin is a pipe dream and Denver does not really have a large Biglaw market to begin with. If you're open to practicing in Dallas or Houston then I think UT makes sense.

ArmyRN
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:48 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ArmyRN » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:24 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:
ArmyRN wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
ArmyRN wrote:I've finally heard back from every school. If anyone is curious what I got with my numbers, I updated my LSN profile.

Rank: O-3
GPA: 3.3
LSAT: 172


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Murse


Where you headed in the fall?


Not entirely sure yet. I only qualify for 70% of the G.I. Bill. With this in mind, UM makes the most sense--it's nearly a full ride. I plan to email UVA today to see if they will match my UM scholarship. I really want to live and practice in either Austin or Denver, which makes UT and UC the wild cards.


From everything I've heard Austin and Denver are incredibly insular communities to crack. Austin is a pipe dream and Denver does not really have a large Biglaw market to begin with. If you're open to practicing in Dallas or Houston then I think UT makes sense.


Yeah, that is what I heard. I really only wanted Austin. I grew up in the Pacific NW--think Portland and Seattle--so I am looking for areas with a similar vibe, but with sunshine. I initially was headed the PI/government route, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided I want to keep my options open. It will most likely be UVA vs UM.

User avatar
Nagster5
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Nagster5 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:25 pm

ArmyRN wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:
ArmyRN wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:
ArmyRN wrote:I've finally heard back from every school. If anyone is curious what I got with my numbers, I updated my LSN profile.

Rank: O-3
GPA: 3.3
LSAT: 172


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Murse


Where you headed in the fall?


Not entirely sure yet. I only qualify for 70% of the G.I. Bill. With this in mind, UM makes the most sense--it's nearly a full ride. I plan to email UVA today to see if they will match my UM scholarship. I really want to live and practice in either Austin or Denver, which makes UT and UC the wild cards.


From everything I've heard Austin and Denver are incredibly insular communities to crack. Austin is a pipe dream and Denver does not really have a large Biglaw market to begin with. If you're open to practicing in Dallas or Houston then I think UT makes sense.


Yeah, that is what I heard. I really only wanted Austin. I grew up in the Pacific NW--think Portland and Seattle--so I am looking for areas with a similar vibe, but with sunshine. I initially was headed the PI/government route, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided I want to keep my options open. It will most likely be UVA vs UM.


I'm hoping to land at UVa at well, we'll see if they can help me out a bit. Partial GI makes public schools a must, luckily UVa would have been by far my #1 in any event, would have been a real dilemma if it were private.

User avatar
Dcc617
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Dcc617 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Quick question for those currently using the post 911:

Can your BAH go down if you're continously enrolled? I'm asking because the BAH for my school has fluctuated by a few hundred dollars every year. This year it's about 400 dollars more than it was for 2015. Can I count on getting at least that much money even if the rate declines for 2017?

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:53 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Quick question for those currently using the post 911:

Can your BAH go down if you're continously enrolled? I'm asking because the BAH for my school has fluctuated by a few hundred dollars every year. This year it's about 400 dollars more than it was for 2015. Can I count on getting at least that much money even if the rate declines for 2017?


I think it might get locked in when you start school. I started in 2014, and the rate for my school's ZIP code was $1617/month. The rate went down to
$1569 for 2015 and then up to $1686 for 2016, but I'm still getting the same $1617/month that I've been getting since the beginning.

EDIT: According to this, you shouldn't be affected by a decrease in your area's BAH rates unless you change schools or suspend training for 6+ months, but you should get the benefit of any increase starting with your September payment. That's not what I'm seeing, though, so I don't know what's going on.

JazzyMac
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby JazzyMac » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:22 am

FairchildFLT wrote:
BDMPKT wrote:
biglaw21 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:
BDMPKT wrote:Anyone else eye-rolling their way through SFL-TAP?


TAP was the biggest waste of time. "I already completed my bachelors degree." "No, I'm not interested in working for the federal government." "No, I don't want to be a cop." "Yes, I know about how to contact the VA. Trust me, I'm not like these other dummies."


What sucks is people who REALLY need it, eg, the 22 year old joes with no college, no real world experience, and big financial obligations are the ones who sit in the back and sleep through it all.


Sounds EXACTLY like one of my buddies that is getting out in 2 weeks. Asked him what he got out of it and the guy couldn't tell me much. Pretty sad actually.


That was 90%+ of the room. Terrifying.


Im only twenty-two. I finished my B.S. while on active duty at 21. While I was on active duty I was an E4, and my supervisor was a 26 year old E5. He sent me an email one day before writing my EPR letting me know "You have too much education, and too much volunteerism." A few months later I was accepted to UT law, and dropped separation papers. Now, I am literally about to get paid to go to UT. (GI Bill plus scholarship) That is what is wrong with the military today.


I'd have to say the supervisor comment could have pointed to the fact that your education and volunteer bullets outweighed your duty performance bullets. School and volunteering is great, and I highly recommend it. But, if you're not showing as strong in your main duties, it can come off negative.

I've supervised many an educated subordinate and the ones who have succeeded have followed my advice.

testnfo
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:37 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby testnfo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:15 am

.
Last edited by testnfo on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
FairchildFLT
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:48 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:02 am

JazzyMac wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:
BDMPKT wrote:
biglaw21 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:
BDMPKT wrote:Anyone else eye-rolling their way through SFL-TAP?


TAP was the biggest waste of time. "I already completed my bachelors degree." "No, I'm not interested in working for the federal government." "No, I don't want to be a cop." "Yes, I know about how to contact the VA. Trust me, I'm not like these other dummies."


What sucks is people who REALLY need it, eg, the 22 year old joes with no college, no real world experience, and big financial obligations are the ones who sit in the back and sleep through it all.


Sounds EXACTLY like one of my buddies that is getting out in 2 weeks. Asked him what he got out of it and the guy couldn't tell me much. Pretty sad actually.


That was 90%+ of the room. Terrifying.


Im only twenty-two. I finished my B.S. while on active duty at 21. While I was on active duty I was an E4, and my supervisor was a 26 year old E5. He sent me an email one day before writing my EPR letting me know "You have too much education, and too much volunteerism." A few months later I was accepted to UT law, and dropped separation papers. Now, I am literally about to get paid to go to UT. (GI Bill plus scholarship) That is what is wrong with the military today.


I'd have to say the supervisor comment could have pointed to the fact that your education and volunteer bullets outweighed your duty performance bullets. School and volunteering is great, and I highly recommend it. But, if you're not showing as strong in your main duties, it can come off negative.

I've supervised many an educated subordinate and the ones who have succeeded have followed my advice.


I'm sure my education bullets and volunteer bullets outweighed my duty performance bullets. I had no plan and no goal of being an NCO or spending a second more in the military than I needed to. Now I'm attending a top law school and he's probably telling some other young troop their priorities need to be "God, country, service," just like he told me. Time will tell who made the better decision.

Longsx3
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Longsx3 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:57 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Quick question for those currently using the post 911:

Can your BAH go down if you're continously enrolled? I'm asking because the BAH for my school has fluctuated by a few hundred dollars every year. This year it's about 400 dollars more than it was for 2015. Can I count on getting at least that much money even if the rate declines for 2017?


I think it might get locked in when you start school. I started in 2014, and the rate for my school's ZIP code was $1617/month. The rate went down to
$1569 for 2015 and then up to $1686 for 2016, but I'm still getting the same $1617/month that I've been getting since the beginning.

EDIT: According to this, you shouldn't be affected by a decrease in your area's BAH rates unless you change schools or suspend training for 6+ months, but you should get the benefit of any increase starting with your September payment. That's not what I'm seeing, though, so I don't know what's going on.


Increases do not occur until the following academic yr. If BAH went up in Jan 2016, GI Bill Recipients will not see the increase until the start of the 2016-2017 Academic yr.

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby MT Cicero » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:21 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Quick question for those currently using the post 911:

Can your BAH go down if you're continously enrolled? I'm asking because the BAH for my school has fluctuated by a few hundred dollars every year. This year it's about 400 dollars more than it was for 2015. Can I count on getting at least that much money even if the rate declines for 2017?


I think it might get locked in when you start school. I started in 2014, and the rate for my school's ZIP code was $1617/month. The rate went down to
$1569 for 2015 and then up to $1686 for 2016, but I'm still getting the same $1617/month that I've been getting since the beginning.

EDIT: According to this, you shouldn't be affected by a decrease in your area's BAH rates unless you change schools or suspend training for 6+ months, but you should get the benefit of any increase starting with your September payment. That's not what I'm seeing, though, so I don't know what's going on.


Yeah, mine went up for this year matching the BAH rise. I was hoping increases were locked in but they can't decrease it...which is how it worked on active duty. My area went down for 2016, so we'll see what happens come September, but glad to see it's at least supposed to work that way.

Don't know why yours didn't bump up Scott.

EDIT: I wasn't looking at your dates carefully enough. Yeah, the Dec/Jan BAH change doesn't go into effect until the start of the fall term. The post above me hit it exact. You should expect to see a 3L bump (Scott), and I should expect to not see a 3L dip.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:13 am

MT Cicero wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Quick question for those currently using the post 911:

Can your BAH go down if you're continously enrolled? I'm asking because the BAH for my school has fluctuated by a few hundred dollars every year. This year it's about 400 dollars more than it was for 2015. Can I count on getting at least that much money even if the rate declines for 2017?


I think it might get locked in when you start school. I started in 2014, and the rate for my school's ZIP code was $1617/month. The rate went down to
$1569 for 2015 and then up to $1686 for 2016, but I'm still getting the same $1617/month that I've been getting since the beginning.

EDIT: According to this, you shouldn't be affected by a decrease in your area's BAH rates unless you change schools or suspend training for 6+ months, but you should get the benefit of any increase starting with your September payment. That's not what I'm seeing, though, so I don't know what's going on.


Yeah, mine went up for this year matching the BAH rise. I was hoping increases were locked in but they can't decrease it...which is how it worked on active duty. My area went down for 2016, so we'll see what happens come September, but glad to see it's at least supposed to work that way.

Don't know why yours didn't bump up Scott.

EDIT: I wasn't looking at your dates carefully enough. Yeah, the Dec/Jan BAH change doesn't go into effect until the start of the fall term. The post above me hit it exact. You should expect to see a 3L bump (Scott), and I should expect to not see a 3L dip.


Yeah, I was tired and stupid when I made that post - thanks, Longsx3. My BAH does seem to be following the rules after all, as long as I see an increase come August.

User avatar
Dcc617
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:14 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Quick question for those currently using the post 911:

Can your BAH go down if you're continously enrolled? I'm asking because the BAH for my school has fluctuated by a few hundred dollars every year. This year it's about 400 dollars more than it was for 2015. Can I count on getting at least that much money even if the rate declines for 2017?


I think it might get locked in when you start school. I started in 2014, and the rate for my school's ZIP code was $1617/month. The rate went down to
$1569 for 2015 and then up to $1686 for 2016, but I'm still getting the same $1617/month that I've been getting since the beginning.

EDIT: According to this, you shouldn't be affected by a decrease in your area's BAH rates unless you change schools or suspend training for 6+ months, but you should get the benefit of any increase starting with your September payment. That's not what I'm seeing, though, so I don't know what's going on.


Thanks for the source. I had been having trouble finding that.

User avatar
Dcc617
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:34 am

I actually have another question if y'all would be so kind. Does anyone have any experience with getting an extension for household goods shipment after ETS?

I separated from the military a few months ago and all of my household goods are in storage. My current eligibility for free shipment runs through the end of June, but I want to extend it for 45-60 days so I can not have to pay for an apartment until school gets,closer to starting.

I called the transportation office and they gave me the general memo format and who to submit it to. I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten that approved before, because I haven't been able to find anything about extensions in the JFTR or anywhere else.

Wipfelder
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:42 am

Hey man,

Submit the memo and follow up with a phone call, both to the transportation office of the base your ETSing from and with the shipping company who has your stuff. They almost always allow a free extension for another 60 days. If they don't allow a free extension, the worst case is they hold it and charge you for storage.

The profit margins, as with most government contracts, is so high that they can be very accommodating to a proactive individuals needs without hurting their bottom line.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TripTrip » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:53 pm

virtus26 wrote:Is anyone considering National Guard during Law School?

I'm debating between taking a cush admin job vs. getting in line for command of an infantry company.

I have no clue what it's like on the NG side, any input would be appreciated.

I missed this discussion earlier. I'm an E-6 in the NG while attending HLS right now. I'm drilling in my home state (MN) where they are paying $35k of my tuition every year in addition to the MGI and drill pay. (Drill pay ends up being a wash since I have to fly home every month or rent a car to split here.) I agree with everything else above though; without the state tuition benefit it wouldn't make financial sense for me to stay in.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 5 guests