Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UnicornHunter

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby UnicornHunter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:01 am

2020lawvet wrote:Hi all!

Just wanted to check in here in preparation for applying this upcoming fall.

Navy LT
174 LSAT
3.93 GPA (Ivy League Undergrad)

I'm aiming for H/Y/S but would be happy with many different T14 schools. Thanks for all the advice so far, it's very much appreciated!

You'll kill it. Are you 100% GI Bill eligible? If yes just go with H or S depending on what coast you prefer. If no, you should be looking at some serious scholarship money from ccn and I would probably take that over the hys.

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:07 am

biglaw21 wrote:Anyone willing to look at/swap personal statements?

PM me, I'll look yours over.

BDMPKT

Postby BDMPKT » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Anyone else eye-rolling their way through SFL-TAP?

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:16 pm

BDMPKT wrote:Anyone else eye-rolling their way through SFL-TAP?

I'm in Navy TGPS this week, and it's excruciating.

BDMPKT

Postby BDMPKT » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:

I'm in Navy TGPS this week, and it's excruciating.

Them: "So what are you planning on doing when you leave the Army?"

Me: "I'm going to Law school, I already bought a house, got into my 2nd choice, waiting for a reevaluation from my top-choice"

"Okay, but how much money would you like to make and what geographic region?"

"No, really, I'm not like these people who don't understand life outside the military. I've got this. I'll be here in class but just don't expect me to, you know, care about how to apply to an undergraduate program or get a job with a military contractor."

"WHY DIDN'T YOU FILL OUT YOUR WORKSHEET WITH THE APPROPRIATE BUZZWORDS????"

Me: :roll:

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:27 pm

"I'm going to law school, I'm already accepted"

"Have you taken the GRE yet? Schools care a lot about your test scores."

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:54 pm

The lady running my DOL employment was actually pretty chill with me. I thought she gave out some pretty good info and she left me alone when I told her about law school.

Also, there are online classes that you can use in place of sitting in class. I was in the field about a month before I started terminal leave and knocked out the finance brief and VA benefits out there. I don't remember how to access the classes though.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:59 pm

TAP was the biggest waste of time. "I already completed my bachelors degree." "No, I'm not interested in working for the federal government." "No, I don't want to be a cop." "Yes, I know about how to contact the VA. Trust me, I'm not like these other dummies."

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:15 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:

TAP was the biggest waste of time. "I already completed my bachelors degree." "No, I'm not interested in working for the federal government." "No, I don't want to be a cop." "Yes, I know about how to contact the VA. Trust me, I'm not like these other dummies."

What sucks is people who REALLY need it, eg, the 22 year old joes with no college, no real world experience, and big financial obligations are the ones who sit in the back and sleep through it all.

BDMPKT

Postby BDMPKT » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:

What sucks is people who REALLY need it, eg, the 22 year old joes with no college, no real world experience, and big financial obligations are the ones who sit in the back and sleep through it all.

Completely agree. Even though it's mostly N/A to me, I definitely see its value. The best anecdote I have is a LTC (or COL, whichever the Sr. most rank that has to go through it) who had 2 masters and a PHD being forced to sit through a class on applying to college.

biglaw21

Postby biglaw21 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:11 am

Dcc617 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:

Sounds EXACTLY like one of my buddies that is getting out in 2 weeks. Asked him what he got out of it and the guy couldn't tell me much. Pretty sad actually.

BDMPKT

Postby BDMPKT » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:37 am

biglaw21 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:

Sounds EXACTLY like one of my buddies that is getting out in 2 weeks. Asked him what he got out of it and the guy couldn't tell me much. Pretty sad actually.

That was 90%+ of the room. Terrifying.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:52 am

BDMPKT wrote:
biglaw21 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:

Im only twenty-two. I finished my B.S. while on active duty at 21. While I was on active duty I was an E4, and my supervisor was a 26 year old E5. He sent me an email one day before writing my EPR letting me know "You have too much education, and too much volunteerism." A few months later I was accepted to UT law, and dropped separation papers. Now, I am literally about to get paid to go to UT. (GI Bill plus scholarship) That is what is wrong with the military today.

BDMPKT

Postby BDMPKT » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:00 am

FairchildFLT wrote:
BDMPKT wrote:
biglaw21 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:

Im only twenty-two. I finished my B.S. while on active duty at 21. While I was on active duty I was an E4, and my supervisor was a 26 year old E5. He sent me an email one day before writing my EPR letting me know "You have too much education, and too much volunteerism." A few months later I was accepted to UT law, and dropped separation papers. Now, I am literally about to get paid to go to UT. (GI Bill plus scholarship) That is what is wrong with the military today.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/11/first ... e-outside/

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:19 am

FairchildFLT wrote:While I was on active duty I was an E4, and my supervisor was a 26 year old E5. He sent me an email one day before writing my EPR letting me know "You have too much education, and too much volunteerism."

I was an E-4 in the Marines and was told the same thing by by GySgt, except in regards to systems training. "You know too much already, we can't send you to any more training." The thing is, we used a myriad of command and control systems in our command center so it's not like training me on more systems was wasteful. There is a real paranoia that exists among enlisted staff when the underlings know more than them.

I was already working on my Masters the last year of my enlistment. The USMC was the worst college I ever went to. ;)

biglaw21

Postby biglaw21 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:05 am

FairchildFLT wrote:
BDMPKT wrote:
biglaw21 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:

That's crazy that someone would actually say you had 'too much' education and volunteer work. Congrats on going to UT!

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:47 am

biglaw21 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:
BDMPKT wrote:
biglaw21 wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:

That's crazy that someone would actually say you had 'too much' education and volunteer work. Congrats on going to UT!

He was pretty much saying that, for where I was at in my career, I had too much education. The guy was an idiot though so there is that. The other lower E's and I had a good laugh about that email so it was worth it.

Thanks I appreciate it!

dcp201

Postby dcp201 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:34 am

I am currently sitting in our final SFL class. So much for today's DONSA. I have to say, the classes here on Bragg have been pretty productive.

MichiganMan87

Postby MichiganMan87 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:30 am

Question for the crowd,

I have 15 months of MGIB benefits remaining and am trying to figure out how to maximize benefits. I've heard conflicting reports on how to maximize my remaining benefits.

Option 1: I can use the 15 months of MGIB, once exhausted I will get 12 additional months of Post 9/11 benefits, I will pay a little out of pocket for the first 15 months, and then the remainder of school will be entirely covered plus E-5 BAH.

Option 2: I can switch to Post 9/11 Bill and will get only 15 months of benefits, but it will entirely cover the 15 months plus E-5 BAH.

Can anyone confirm that the 12 additional months of Post 9/11 benefits is true? I would be pretty upset if I don't switch to Post 9/11, use the MGIB and then find out I don't get the extra 12 months. I've called the VA and talked to a rep on base, they've contradicted each other, and I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from either.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Not sure about the switch part. But do remember that with Post-9/11 GI Bill you get a full semester of coverage even if your entitlement ends in the middle of a semester. I calculated it out and I have 5.03 semesters left. That means at the end of my 5th semester, I'll have two days of entitlement left over. Even though that technically runs out in the middle of the first week of my 6th semester, it will be fully covered.

Again, it doesn't speak directly to your issue but it's a consideration that is often overlooked. I have no idea how MGIB handles that scenario.

cbp

Postby cbp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:44 pm

I am now on transition leave and just starting this process. I had a pretty rough start in UG, then dropped out and joined the Army. I did my six years, and now I am a year or so away from finishing UG. I have only just begun my LSAT prep (scored a 156 on my diag), but I know upper 160'd are within my grasp, and cracking 175 is possible (and I will give it my all). I will likely have an uphill battle to get into a decent school, given my abysmal initial performance in UG, but I would like to thank you guys for providing some good, honest information in this thread.

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:47 pm

cbp wrote:I am now on transition leave and just starting this process. I had a pretty rough start in UG, then dropped out and joined the Army. I did my six years, and now I am a year or so away from finishing UG. I have only just begun my LSAT prep (scored a 156 on my diag), but I know upper 160'd are within my grasp, and cracking 175 is possible (and I will give it my all). I will likely have an uphill battle to get into a decent school, given my abysmal initial performance in UG, but I would like to thank you guys for providing some good, honest information in this thread.

Welcome! Yeah having a good LSAT is absolutely key with a lot of top schools, especially if you have a lower GPA. What schools are you targeting?

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:54 pm

TAP was great. Got away from bullshit details at my unit, had a chance to polish up my resume, and I ended up applying for a job just for shits and gigs that I got and alllllmost dropped out of law school for.

cbp

Postby cbp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:00 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
cbp wrote:I am now on transition leave and just starting this process. I had a pretty rough start in UG, then dropped out and joined the Army. I did my six years, and now I am a year or so away from finishing UG. I have only just begun my LSAT prep (scored a 156 on my diag), but I know upper 160'd are within my grasp, and cracking 175 is possible (and I will give it my all). I will likely have an uphill battle to get into a decent school, given my abysmal initial performance in UG, but I would like to thank you guys for providing some good, honest information in this thread.

Welcome! Yeah having a good LSAT is absolutely key with a lot of top schools, especially if you have a lower GPA. What schools are you targeting?

Pretty much the best one I can get into. East coast would be nice, but that is a secondary consideration. I have pretty much gathered that I don't have a snowball's chance at Yale, so Harvard would be my ideal (but a tremendous reach). I am currently looking at Georgetown or UVA as more realistic reach schools, with GW being more attainable. When it comes to schools ranked lower than that, it seems like it would be wisest to wait a year, add a major to pad my GPA, then reapply.

I have to say that the LSAT is no joke. I am used to cruising through aptitude tests (SAT, ASVAB, etc.), but that test kicked my ass (I only got 8/24 on analytical reasoning section). I am glad that I have a few more months to prep before the June LSAT.

virtus26

Postby virtus26 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:20 pm

Is anyone considering National Guard during Law School?

I'm debating between taking a cush admin job vs. getting in line for command of an infantry company.

I have no clue what it's like on the NG side, any input would be appreciated.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”