Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OtterLaw

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby OtterLaw » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:56 am

biglaw21 wrote:Hey everyone just found this site as well as this thread and could not be more relieved to know there are other veterans out there hoping to attend law school!

Quick stats:
E5 Navy, 4 years active duty, 2 left
Job was IT
GPA 3.8 right now (graduating in August)
Taking the LSAT hopefully in September (hitting mid to high 160s on the practice tests)
No deployments (transferring and hitting tail end of one)

I do have a quick question if anyone of you might be able to share some insight. When I go to register for an LSAC account and choose my school it doesn't show up in the dropdown. Anyone know why this might be? It is a relatively new school being founded in 2008 and at first I thought it was because of the accreditation. However, it holds the same accreditation as most of the other ones in the state that are in the dropdown boxes. Not sure how to even proceed if I can't register for an account because of this....any advice helps! Thanks.

Welcome! We're very similar except I'm almost done with 5 years of active Navy service. MU2 here.

I can't stress how important getting a good LSAT score will be (I have a 164 LSAT and a 4.0 UGPA with a 3.98 master's GPA and I haven't been having the cycle I thought I would with T15 schools). If you're taking in September, you have plenty of time to study for a great score. Breaking 170 with your veteran status and GPA could open a lot of doors for you. There are a lot of good resources on here for getting a good LSAT score. I wish I would have found TLS before I applied to law school.

The LSAC school problem you're having sounds unique. I would call them. They have always been very friendly and helpful when I've had problems. Good luck!

Maplesyrup

Postby Maplesyrup » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:33 am

doobleykah wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:If I'm only eligible for a % of the GI Bill, I still get a % of the total tuition at public schools, not a % of the cap, correct?

My understanding is that % eligibility pro-rates months - not dollars. So a 100% eligible vet would be entitled to 36 months of benefits whereas an 80% eligible veteran would be entitled to 24 months of benefits. in a calendar year you can expect to use 9 months of benefits (unless you take summer classes to keep your BAH coming - as some people have done). Most students who have saved their GI Bill for law school with full eligibility will can expect to leave law school with 9 months of eligibility remaining.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/education/Post-911_General_info.pdf

its the other way around, you get the % of tuition and BAH for the full 36 months under chapter 33 plus if you got a kicker when you enlisted then you get that added on to your housing allowance

edit: the fact sheet that was quoted gives how long you need to be on active duty to qualify for a given percentage

OLitch

Postby OLitch » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:15 am

doobleykah wrote:
Billy Madison wrote:
OLitch wrote:
doobleykah wrote:
Echoduck wrote:
mimmsy wrote:Hey. Current active Navy NCO. F, obtained BA before enlisting (it was the recession...) with a high GPA. Coming up on the last year of my contract. Looking at applying this fall, gearing up for either a June or a Sept LSAT take. PI/Gov. Will be scattering apps over the T14. Just checking in. Good luck to everyone on their cycle. Would love to hear any tips/things you wish you knew at the beginning of your cycle.

I highly recommend utilizing Service 2 School (http://service2school.org). I found them extremely helpful.

And i found them completely useless, so temper expectations

That's a bummer that you found them useless.

Results must vary from ambassador to ambassador. I had a great experience. The person I was paired with gave me great advice and guidance. It felt good to have someone in my corner who would offer honest feedback. She was extremely helpful when it came to effectively translating my military experience into civilian lingo. I cannot say enough great things about S2S.

I also found S2S very helpful. I wish they did more beyond just setting you up with a single ambassador, but the help I received with my resume and PS was great. Just having another set of eyes with a background similar to my own to revise things was great. I sought out some additional advice from other ambassadors on my own as well. If you're going to refer to a free organization helping vets as "useless", I think you're obligated to be a bit more specific in your complaint. Taking potshots online is pretty low IMO...

I waited 4 weeks after contact to be assigned an ambassador. The ambassador waited 2 more weeks to reach out to me. I waited to submit applications for the entire period. The ambassador who was assigned to me was in no way qualified to give me advice or direction. I submitted without their assistance and have had an excellent cycle so far. They were of 0 use to me. They were not useFUL therefor, they were useless. Im glad your experience was better than mine, but if all anyone posts on here is how great they were, then the next guy whose ball gets dropped might be even more disappointed than myself.

Wow! This is awful. I agree with you, people should know what to anticipate. A free service could end up being costly.

Have they approached you about providing feedback? I expected to receive a survey regarding my experience, but I have not. I hope you provide feedback to S2S so vets can be assured the quality services that are advertised.

doobleykah

Postby doobleykah » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:44 am

Maplesyrup wrote:
doobleykah wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:If I'm only eligible for a % of the GI Bill, I still get a % of the total tuition at public schools, not a % of the cap, correct?

My understanding is that % eligibility pro-rates months - not dollars. So a 100% eligible vet would be entitled to 36 months of benefits whereas an 80% eligible veteran would be entitled to 24 months of benefits. in a calendar year you can expect to use 9 months of benefits (unless you take summer classes to keep your BAH coming - as some people have done). Most students who have saved their GI Bill for law school with full eligibility will can expect to leave law school with 9 months of eligibility remaining.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/education/Post-911_General_info.pdf

its the other way around, you get the % of tuition and BAH for the full 36 months under chapter 33 plus if you got a kicker when you enlisted then you get that added on to your housing allowance

edit: the fact sheet that was quoted gives how long you need to be on active duty to qualify for a given percentage

Oh I see how I got that wrong! I misread months of qualifying service as months of benefits. Thanks for the clarification, I hate providing bad information!

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:16 am

biglaw21 wrote:Hey everyone just found this site as well as this thread and could not be more relieved to know there are other veterans out there hoping to attend law school!

Quick stats:
Job was IT
Taking the LSAT hopefully in September (hitting mid to high 160s on the practice tests)

I do have a quick question if anyone of you might be able to share some insight. When I go to register for an LSAC account and choose my school it doesn't show up in the dropdown. Anyone know why this might be? It is a relatively new school being founded in 2008 and at first I thought it was because of the accreditation. However, it holds the same accreditation as most of the other ones in the state that are in the dropdown boxes. Not sure how to even proceed if I can't register for an account because of this....any advice helps! Thanks.

My advice would be to forget that you ever heard about that law school. Do not attend there under any circumstances. With a 3.8 GPA, a ~170 LSAT, and military service you should be shooting T6. If you dont have the GI bill and you're debt averse you can grab a full ride to a T25. Under no circumstances should you consider attending any school fitting that description, full stop. Please please PM me if you still have questions.

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:35 am

Nagster5 wrote:

Quick stats:
Job was IT

My advice would be to forget that you ever heard about that law school. Do not attend there under any circumstances. With a 3.8 GPA, a ~170 LSAT, and military service you should be shooting T6. If you dont have the GI bill and you're debt averse you can grab a full ride to a T25. Under no circumstances should you consider attending any school fitting that description, full stop. Please please PM me if you still have questions.

I think he's talking about his UG school here, not a law school.

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:

Quick stats:
Job was IT

Yeah...you're right. Re-evaluated advice to the OP: Call the LSAC, they will walk you through what to do.

In other news, I need an honored officer to help me commit seppuku due to the dishonor my RC fail has brought, anyone ITT handy with a sword?

biglaw21

Postby biglaw21 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:34 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:

Quick stats:
Job was IT

Yeah I'm talking about my UG. So I called the LSAC and the person I talked to on the phone told me to leave it blank for the registration, which I did. He said once my account is created I can go back in and pick the option that my school is not listed. However, I can't for the life of me find that option! Probably going to end up calling back.

@Navyhornguy - So you have a few years left on your contract then? How soon before you were getting out did you take the LSAT/start the app process?

starsandstripes41

Postby starsandstripes41 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:50 pm

Hey all! Current Active Duty Marine who just applied for the MECEP program and am awaiting decision. (Hopefully by the end of March) I was accepted at the University of Texas and will be attending undergrad there if I am accepted for MECEP. Currently right now I have a 3.6 GPA with a little over 60 credit hours. My question is if anyone has any experience applying for the JAG program while being a MECEPer. I know the basic details of needing a 150 LSAT and having to be accepted into an ABA accredited Law School. However, I was more curious about the down and dirty nitty gritty of the process. All info would be appreciated! Feel free to PM or just post in this thread for everyone to see in case anyone else is curious!

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:52 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
Navyhornguy wrote:
doobleykah wrote:

This isn't exactly true. The way I understand it, depending on how many months of active duty you serve, you are entitled to a certain % of your benefits for the whole 36-months. I have an appt next week with a VA guy on base to clarify all of this so I can report back what I learn.

I know I'm eligible for 80% of the GI Bill, so I'll get 80% of my tuition paid each year to a public school, 80% of a monthly housing allowance, and 80% of a book stipend while I'm in school. I also read that as of January 1, 2016, all participating public schools are required to give a veteran in-state tuition if he/she has been out of the military less than 3 years. That's huge.

Again, I'm not entirely sure yet if the benefit is good for the whole 36 months yet, but I'm positive it pays at the percentage you are eligible for. So worst case for me is I would get 80% paid for 28.8 months, but I'm still pretty sure the benefit is 36 months regardless. I'll know more next week.

Its 80% of tuition, bah, and book bonus for 36 months.

For public schools, its 80% of in state tuition, regardless of your status

^what do you mean by regardless of your status?

In state/out of state

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Does anyone have any experience with negotiating with Chicago to work around the GI Bill? If someone does, please PM me. I promise to pay it forward with an in-depth breakdown of what I end up doing.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:00 pm

Hey everyone long time since I last posted here and I have another question.

I was recently granted a scholarship at UT Austin. I'm already GI Bill elligible so I need to have the scholarship set up so that it can be used for housing etc... so it wont toll against my GI Bill. I inquired with UT (and a lot of other schools) before applying and they confirmed they can do this. Is there any special verbiage I need to use to now request this?

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:34 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:Hey everyone long time since I last posted here and I have another question.

I was recently granted a scholarship at UT Austin. I'm already GI Bill elligible so I need to have the scholarship set up so that it can be used for housing etc... so it wont toll against my GI Bill. I inquired with UT (and a lot of other schools) before applying and they confirmed they can do this. Is there any special verbiage I need to use to now request this?

If I am fortunate to get in there off the WL, I'm very interested in this as well.

Echoduck

Postby Echoduck » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:Hey everyone long time since I last posted here and I have another question.

If I am fortunate to get in there off the WL, I'm very interested in this as well.

Interested as well.

doobleykah

Postby doobleykah » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Echoduck wrote:
Navyhornguy wrote:

Interested as well.

storpappa wrote:What you are looking for is restricted or unrestricted ... then if they say unrestricted verify if it really is, or tied to a ceiling like COA after VA and after BAH. Getting it to a stipend would be for a school that have you a restricted award, but at that point, ymmv

This is from earlier in the thread. I know i recall someone else saying their school had another name for it. I'll look into it.

doobleykah

Postby doobleykah » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:22 pm

BTW can you send a PM of the schools who had already said theyd play ball?

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Update: I just emailed UT and they replied saying my scholarship is marked for living expenses so I'm good to go. That was easy.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:24 pm

doobleykah wrote:

Michigan would, Texas would, Cornell gave me the run around on answering, CU Boulder would as well. GTown would not. Those are what I remember. I applied last cycle and deferred.

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:35 am

So I asked the guy in charge of Chicago's financial aid, Dean Petty, and he told me that it was a university policy to only apply scholarships for tuition. Therefore one cannot finagle it to keep the additional funds. Which sucks.

PM me for any more specific questions.

Longsx3

Postby Longsx3 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:48 pm

UF's scholarship is tuition only.

BNA

Postby BNA » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:21 pm

I have a strong belief that the schools that reject aren't restrained; they're just lazy. If you have enough barganing power, and approach it the right way, you should be able to convert some of those NOs.

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:32 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:
doobleykah wrote:

Michigan would, Texas would, Cornell gave me the run around on answering, CU Boulder would as well. GTown would not. Those are what I remember. I applied last cycle and deferred.

THANK YOU FairchildFLT, for being so open with answers concerning this. There is a lot of secrecy and cryptic-ness in these scholarship questions. Some people wouldn't even respond to my PMs. Getting a taste of that civilian world already! :)

PS for the rest of the thread: All I've gotten so far are rejections, but if anything positive comes through I'll be sure to share.

doobleykah

Postby doobleykah » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:41 pm

JazzyMac wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:
doobleykah wrote:

THANK YOU FairchildFLT, for being so open with answers concerning this. There is a lot of secrecy and cryptic-ness in these scholarship questions. Some people wouldn't even respond to my PMs. Getting a taste of that civilian world already! :)

PS for the rest of the thread: All I've gotten so far are rejections, but if anything positive comes through I'll be sure to share.

Maybe this is silly, but I have wondered if schools are making students sign nondisclosures w/r/t these awards. Hundreds of vets have come before us. You'd think more would report back.

Specter1389

Postby Specter1389 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:25 am

Just wanted to share some information regarding the GI Bill that I found out this weekend. I was seriously miscalculating how much I would receive.

I met with the UVA Financial Aid office and found out since they are a public school, you will actually get a percentage of what they charge in state students. So if you are 100% eligible, you would receive $54,000 in tuition benefits since that is what they charge in state students. The $21,084 cap only applies to private schools. I will only be eligible for 40% so would receive $21,600 at UVA compared to the $8,433.60 I thought I would receive. I verified this information with vets at both UVA and Georgetown. Seems to me like UVA, Michigan, and Cal-Berkeley are great bets for vets eligible for the GI Bill since they are the only 3 public schools in the T-14. Granted, if you have 100% benefits and the private school does yellow ribbon, you are still looking at $42,168 in benefits which is nothing to sneeze at. This may have already been discussed, but just figured I would share.

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:35 am

AF_Falcon wrote:Just wanted to share some information regarding the GI Bill that I found out this weekend. I was seriously miscalculating how much I would receive.

I met with the UVA Financial Aid office and found out since they are a public school, you will actually get a percentage of what they charge in state students. So if you are 100% eligible, you would receive $54,000 in tuition benefits since that is what they charge in state students. The $21,084 cap only applies to private schools. I will only be eligible for 40% so would receive $21,600 at UVA compared to the $8,433.60 I thought I would receive. I verified this information with vets at both UVA and Georgetown. Seems to me like UVA, Michigan, and Cal-Berkeley are great bets for vets eligible for the GI Bill since they are the only 3 public schools in the T-14. Granted, if you have 100% benefits and the private school does yellow ribbon, you are still looking at $42,168 in benefits which is nothing to sneeze at. This may have already been discussed, but just figured I would share.

As far as I understand too, as of 01 Jan 2016 state schools have to grant military veterans in state tuition if they have been out of the military for fewer than three years. That's a big deal too, and makes going to a school like Michigan a way better possibility for me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”