Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OLitch

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby OLitch » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:33 pm

nontrad2014 wrote:
OLitch wrote:Has anyone had luck with obtaining a voc rehab extension?

I'm not sure if I should apply for voc rehab before I start LS OR use up my GIB then apply for voc rehab which will require an extension to the 12 year expiration date.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Twelve years is not a concrete number. 38 CFR has many "outs" that allow you to bypass the 12 year restriction. I know two fellow students who applied after 12 years and it was a non issue (no one even raised it).

Good to know! Thanks!!!

ToadToad

Postby ToadToad » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Has anyone had any success in negotiating merit scholarships into become living stipends? The school I'm looking to attend will be free with GI Bill + YRP. However, I was also awarded a substantial merit scholarship from the school, which I would prefer be applied last so that that amount would be refunded to me. The school's website has specific language noting that "need-based" scholarships have to be applied before the VA kicks in their share, but it makes no mention of how they would handle it with a merit scholarship.

I called the financial aid office, which had no idea about anything GI Bill-related, so they transferred me to the veterans' office, but they were away. I know they'll probably be able to answer this question once I can reach them. However, in the event they don't give me the answer I'd prefer, is there any way to get them to change the language of the scholarship to make it into a stipend? I've scoured the Internet and seen a couple success stories but no advice on how to go about asking.

Thanks in advance.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:01 pm

ToadToad wrote:Has anyone had any success in negotiating merit scholarships into become living stipends? The school I'm looking to attend will be free with GI Bill + YRP. However, I was also awarded a substantial merit scholarship from the school, which I would prefer be applied last so that that amount would be refunded to me. The school's website has specific language noting that "need-based" scholarships have to be applied before the VA kicks in their share, but it makes no mention of how they would handle it with a merit scholarship.

I called the financial aid office, which had no idea about anything GI Bill-related, so they transferred me to the veterans' office, but they were away. I know they'll probably be able to answer this question once I can reach them. However, in the event they don't give me the answer I'd prefer, is there any way to get them to change the language of the scholarship to make it into a stipend? I've scoured the Internet and seen a couple success stories but no advice on how to go about asking.

Thanks in advance.

Given the language from your school's website, I'd think you're good to go. Most law schools code their scholarships as "general cost of attendance" which means GI bill can be applied first.

Nodbugger

Postby Nodbugger » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:56 pm

Anyone have any information on how former Military Service helps with a transfer? I spent four years as an Army Officer.

I'm currently at a low ranked School in Chicago and want to transfer to either Northwestern or Georgetown, maybe George Washington, right now I'm estimating myself right around the top 10-15%, but won't know until the end of next semester.

I've heard Northwestern takes prior work experience into consideration for initial admission, do they do the same for transfers?

doobleykah

Postby doobleykah » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:23 am

Decimus wrote:
ToadToad wrote:Has anyone had any success in negotiating merit scholarships into become living stipends? The school I'm looking to attend will be free with GI Bill + YRP. However, I was also awarded a substantial merit scholarship from the school, which I would prefer be applied last so that that amount would be refunded to me. The school's website has specific language noting that "need-based" scholarships have to be applied before the VA kicks in their share, but it makes no mention of how they would handle it with a merit scholarship.

Thanks in advance.

Given the language from your school's website, I'd think you're good to go. Most law schools code their scholarships as "general cost of attendance" which means GI bill can be applied first.

Ive spoken to reps from multiple T14 schools and my response has been much the same as above. I haven't gotten as far as trying to reclassify the scholarships but so far in my experience, merit aid is applied to "tuition" and not coded as general cost of attendance. Is there any way to determine this short of pouring through state law?

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:39 pm

doobleykah wrote:
Decimus wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Ive spoken to reps from multiple T14 schools and my response has been much the same as above. I haven't gotten as far as trying to reclassify the scholarships but so far in my experience, merit aid is applied to "tuition" and not coded as general cost of attendance. Is there any way to determine this short of pouring through state law?

Your experience is probably misleading in terms of professional school. FinAid offices are clueless, just try to get hold of veterans affairs, they will know what's up. Just remember, they're about to be swamped with VA disbursements so if they're unreachable for a couple weeks, that's it.

doobleykah

Postby doobleykah » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:17 pm

Decimus wrote:
doobleykah wrote:
Decimus wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Your experience is probably misleading in terms of professional school. FinAid offices are clueless, just try to get hold of veterans affairs, they will know what's up. Just remember, they're about to be swamped with VA disbursements so if they're unreachable for a couple weeks, that's it.

I assume you are referring to the veterans affairs offices at the individual schools. The implication here is that the Vets office would need to call the FinAid office and tell them how to do their jobs.

On a relevant side note, My understanding is that the GI bill is a "last payer". As in, they will pay {UP TO} 21k(or w/e it is now) towards tuition per year blah blah. If you get a scholarship of say 30k(py) from the school and the total tuition is 50k (tuition not cost of attendance) the GI bill would then pay the remaining 20k. Federal law requires that all other SCHOLARSHIPS be applied first. In order to see money back in your pocket, any award from the school would need to be completely reclassified as a housing grant or some other stipend, which many schools simply do not do.

Please let me know if i am way off. There is far too much anecdotal evidence on here about how it SHOULD work. can anyone attest to how THEY made it work?

Longsx3

Postby Longsx3 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:25 pm

For the GI Bill to be applied first the scholarship has to include language that it can be used for expenses other than tuition.

It is the depart that administers the scholarships that determines the language of the scholarship and not the VA office.

[/quote]
I assume you are referring to the veterans affairs offices at the individual schools. The implication here is that the Vets office would need to call the FinAid office and tell them how to do their jobs.

On a relevant side note, My understanding is that the GI bill is a "last payer". As in, they will pay {UP TO} 21k(or w/e it is now) towards tuition per year blah blah. If you get a scholarship of say 30k(py) from the school and the total tuition is 50k (tuition not cost of attendance) the GI bill would then pay the remaining 20k. Federal law requires that all other SCHOLARSHIPS be applied first. In order to see money back in your pocket, any award from the school would need to be completely reclassified as a housing grant or some other stipend, which many schools simply do not do.

Please let me know if i am way off. There is far too much anecdotal evidence on here about how it SHOULD work. can anyone attest to how THEY made it work?[/quote]

doobleykah

Postby doobleykah » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:24 pm

So does anyone have experience making ^ work specifically in the t-14?

cmac2210

Postby cmac2210 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:34 pm

One school that I was accepted to this year had a policy that required all of their scholarship money to be considered a "tuition" scholarship. This meant that I was not able to capitalize on the amount that they gave me because it was swallowed up by the VA. Another school called their scholarship a general scholarship that can be applied to anything that I want - books, living expenses, tuition, etc. I called them to verify and the Finaid office told me that "that scholarship is your money, we want you to have it for what you need it for." I thought that was a great policy as if true it put all of the scholarship back into my pocket after the post 911/YR funds are applied. Being a skeptic, I called the VA certifying official for that school and he verified it and told me that 99.999% of scholarships he sees from the school are general scholarships that are dumped into the student account at the beginning of each term and unless the student applies those funds to tuition, he certifies the full amount to the VA. So for this school, its totally free for me to attend and they end up paying me my full scholarship. In order to stretch the housing from the VA, ill also be taking 1 class during the summer, which they consider full time.

EDIT - the terms the school used with me in discussing my scholarship were "fenced" and "unfenced" scholarships. A fenced scholarship must be applied to tuition therefore reducing the amount that can be certified to the VA, whereas unfenced funds aren't required to be applied directly to tuition.

Echoduck

Postby Echoduck » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:52 pm

cmac2210 wrote:One school that I was accepted to this year had a policy that required all of their scholarship money to be considered a "tuition" scholarship. This meant that I was not able to capitalize on the amount that they gave me because it was swallowed up by the VA. Another school called their scholarship a general scholarship that can be applied to anything that I want - books, living expenses, tuition, etc. I called them to verify and the Finaid office told me that "that scholarship is your money, we want you to have it for what you need it for." I thought that was a great policy as if true it put all of the scholarship back into my pocket after the post 911/YR funds are applied. Being a skeptic, I called the VA certifying official for that school and he verified it and told me that 99.999% of scholarships he sees from the school are general scholarships that are dumped into the student account at the beginning of each term and unless the student applies those funds to tuition, he certifies the full amount to the VA. So for this school, its totally free for me to attend and they end up paying me my full scholarship. In order to stretch the housing from the VA, ill also be taking 1 class during the summer, which they consider full time.

EDIT - the terms the school used with me in discussing my scholarship were "fenced" and "unfenced" scholarships. A fenced scholarship must be applied to tuition therefore reducing the amount that can be certified to the VA, whereas unfenced funds aren't required to be applied directly to tuition.

Which school-if you don't mind me asking? Can you pm me?

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:27 pm

Checking in. Just found this thread. Current active duty Navy musician here. Hello fellow veterans!

knowcompinc

Postby knowcompinc » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:50 pm

It's been awhile since I got my benefits certified for post 9/11. I logged on to E-Benefits today and under education it shows that I have 36 months left at 100%, expiring in 2028. Now schools are asking for a COE, I can't find that document online, is a screen shot sufficient? Can their VA office verify? Do I need to call the VA for them to send out another eligibility letter?

Devil85

Postby Devil85 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:20 pm

knowcompinc

Postby knowcompinc » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 pm

Thank you, hopefully that will work. I just sent them a note. I just dropped all my applications in the last 10-13 days, but I wanted to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row when these acceptances start rolling in.

I have now started to re-order my list a bit depending on which schools offer YR and which ones don't or have it on a limited basis.

Has anyone here had the unfortunate experience of YR one semester but not renewed by the school the next semester/year?

BNA

Postby BNA » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:24 pm

Navyhornguy wrote:Checking in. Just found this thread. Current active duty Navy musician here. Hello fellow veterans!

Isn't MU the best job in the Navy? Please tell me you're not going to bail on retirement.

OtterLaw

Postby OtterLaw » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:41 pm

BNA wrote:
Navyhornguy wrote:Checking in. Just found this thread. Current active duty Navy musician here. Hello fellow veterans!

Isn't MU the best job in the Navy? Please tell me you're not going to bail on retirement.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Why does everyone always say that? It's honestly one of the worst jobs in the Navy for promotion, and I am tired of playing the game trying to get promoted. Plus, most MUs have at least a bachelor's degree and a good 25% of us have master's degrees and are E4s and E5s. It's not all that it's cracked up to be.

biglawhopeful18

Postby biglawhopeful18 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:58 pm

Last edited by biglawhopeful18 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:13 am

biglawhopeful18 wrote:Hey TLS Vets, I don't think I've posted since my admissions cycle ended, but I'm in need of some wisdom & guidance right now. I'm a 1L at a lower t14 you'll be able to discern infra. I got my grades back today and they were unremarkable. B+'s across the board. From what I've read I think that's median or ever-so-slightly above median at my school (assuming medians more or less stay the same every year -- I really don't know how this stuff works). Definitely could be in a worse position, but I did not live up to my expectations.

I'm balls deep into changing my approach to get over the hump for this semester. What I'm here for is career advice and/or some reassurance that everything's gonna be alright. As you can tell from my unoriginal username, Biglaw is the goal, and I'd like LA, DC, or NY, probably in that order. LA ties = stationed in Camp Pendleton during service; DC ties = I go to school here; NY no ties but it's NY. As of now I'd like to pursue corporate law.

Of course I have a semester to bring my grades up. In the meantime, however, as recruiting season is underway, how should I allocate my "hustling"/networking time? There are highly ranked firms coming around for mixers and presentations; as a median bro, is it a waste of my time to participate? Does getting a market paying job as a median bro from a lower t14 require an exorbitant amount of hustling/mass mailing prior to 2L OCI? What kind of grades do I need to get LA from an East Coast t14? How much can being a vet (recently separated, combat, for EEO purposes) help me overcome mediocre grades with a big firm?

Thank you in advance for your input. Semper Fi and be well.

First of all, you're in a good position, median's not a bad place to be, especially as a vet. Absolutely network as much as possible, you're in a city full of people who either served or thought about serving before going to law school, so you never know who your story is going to resonate with. I *think* you'll be fine at OCI, but you definitely should hustle just in case. It's tough to give particularized advice because so much of the process comes down to how you connect with one individual over the course of a 20 minute interview.

I can't speak to LA from your school, but I'd probably target NY/DC at OCI and then mass mail LA and any NY firms you don't get.

Is there some sort of veterans group at your school or in DC? I can't google it because Vets+DC+lawyers= google hell, but it's probably worth asking around to see if there's some sort of group in the city

BLUF: I think you're in a good position. Being a vet will help, and the fact that you're thinking about this stuff now will help. Keep networking and things should work out well.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:17 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
biglawhopeful18 wrote:Hey TLS Vets, I don't think I've posted since my admissions cycle ended, but I'm in need of some wisdom & guidance right now. I'm a 1L at a lower t14 you'll be able to discern infra. I got my grades back today and they were unremarkable. B+'s across the board. From what I've read I think that's median or ever-so-slightly above median at my school (assuming medians more or less stay the same every year -- I really don't know how this stuff works). Definitely could be in a worse position, but I did not live up to my expectations.

Of course I have a semester to bring my grades up. In the meantime, however, as recruiting season is underway, how should I allocate my "hustling"/networking time? There are highly ranked firms coming around for mixers and presentations; as a median bro, is it a waste of my time to participate? Does getting a market paying job as a median bro from a lower t14 require an exorbitant amount of hustling/mass mailing prior to 2L OCI? What kind of grades do I need to get LA from an East Coast t14? How much can being a vet (recently separated, combat, for EEO purposes) help me overcome mediocre grades with a big firm?

Thank you in advance for your input. Semper Fi and be well.

First of all, you're in a good position, median's not a bad place to be, especially as a vet. Absolutely network as much as possible, you're in a city full of people who either served or thought about serving before going to law school, so you never know who your story is going to resonate with. I *think* you'll be fine at OCI, but you definitely should hustle just in case. It's tough to give particularized advice because so much of the process comes down to how you connect with one individual over the course of a 20 minute interview.

Is there some sort of veterans group at your school or in DC? I can't google it because Vets+DC+lawyers= google hell, but it's probably worth asking around to see if there's some sort of group in the city

BLUF: I think you're in a good position. Being a vet will help, and the fact that you're thinking about this stuff now will help. Keep networking and things should work out well.

Yeah there is, and we're kick-ass. Seriously, though, we have that whiskey-and-workwear event with BL types, as well as another spring career symposium for vets just off the top of my head, and probably more in the offing. I believe we're adding another "official" law firm partner or two imminently, if it's not already done, and we're putting a lot of work into strengthening our network of alums in firm jobs. Definitely try to get in on our external (alums, firm types) mentoring program if you haven't already. PM me or email military@law.georgetown. Anectodally I think you're in good shape if you hustle/network and play the vet card wisely. I'm a PI-focused 1L but we have plenty of firm types to advise you if you reach out (if you haven't yet).

usn26

Postby usn26 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:20 am

While I'm on the topic: we have a great vets group at GULC! If you're interested, applying, admitted, coming to visit, etc, please feel free to reach out. PM me or BFalcon or email military@law.georgetown.edu.

biglawhopeful18

Postby biglawhopeful18 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:45 pm

Last edited by biglawhopeful18 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njkga

Postby njkga » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:05 pm

usn26 wrote:While I'm on the topic: we have a great vets group at GULC! If you're interested, applying, admitted, coming to visit, etc, please feel free to reach out. PM me or BFalcon or email military@law.georgetown.edu.

As a GULC hopeful and veteran, I'll definitely be in touch. GULC is one of my top two choices and it will all come down to 1) actually being accepted) and 2) scholarship amounts.

On that note, do you know what kind of "boost" being a veteran provides? I think I have a - decent? - chance of being accepted - but I'm less certain about $$$, especially considering the DC cost of living.

Shib26

Postby Shib26 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:29 pm

I got an e-mail from Penn yesterday inviting me to the Penn Law Military visit day, I'm sure a lot of you did as well. Now there's probably a 0% chance I can make it to Philly on the 15th but it did get me thinking. Have any of you gone to these types of event before, and if so what are your thoughts? Specifically, do you think it in anyway could positively benefit you in the admissions process?

Nagster5

Postby Nagster5 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:47 pm

Shib26 wrote:I got an e-mail from Penn yesterday inviting me to the Penn Law Military visit day, I'm sure a lot of you did as well. Now there's probably a 0% chance I can make it to Philly on the 15th but it did get me thinking. Have any of you gone to these types of event before, and if so what are your thoughts? Specifically, do you think it in anyway could positively benefit you in the admissions process?

Making a personal connection with a teacher or admissions member is never a bad thing. It would definitely help against a YP.

ETA: Also, schools should not be able to email you from their admissions account when your expecting a decision any day. First this and then Berkeley emailed me today that they were excited to announce...(opens email) their new website!. This must be intentional cruelty.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”