Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Are you Post 9/11 eligible?

If you REALLY crush the LSAT you might be able to sneak into a splitter friendly school. You definitely won't get any scholarships, but with the Post 9/11 that's sort of irrelevant. Personally, I wouldn't waste too much time with the prep courses. From what I've heard, they're generally not worthwhile. Self study is the way most people improve.

I don't know how much time you have to study, but February might be too soon if you're in the 140s. If you aren't hitting the 160s consistently by January, I'd cancel personally.

jm4magic

New

Post by jm4magic » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:31 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Are you Post 9/11 eligible?

If you REALLY crush the LSAT you might be able to sneak into a splitter friendly school. You definitely won't get any scholarships, but with the Post 9/11 that's sort of irrelevant. Personally, I wouldn't waste too much time with the prep courses. From what I've heard, they're generally not worthwhile. Self study is the way most people improve.

I don't know how much time you have to study, but February might be too soon if you're in the 140s. If you aren't hitting the 160s consistently by January, I'd cancel personally.
I have 16 months of post 9/11 GI bill remaining.

Planning on putting in 30+ hours per week. Free on weekends.

Do you think I have a chance at the Pat Tillman scholarship?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:25 pm

jm4magic wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Are you Post 9/11 eligible?

I have 16 months of post 9/11 GI bill remaining.

Planning on putting in 30+ hours per week. Free on weekends.

Do you think I have a chance at the Pat Tillman scholarship?
Hard to say. Sounds like you have a pretty compelling story to tell, so I think you have as good a shot as anyone. That said, I think they get thousands of applications for only a few spots, so I wouldn't count on it in your planning. Honestly, if you can't lean on the Post 9/11 to get you through law school and you have a family support, I'd think long and hard about trying to make law school work. Not trying to be discouraging or anything, just thinking about the financial aspects. Your GPA is going to be an anchor on you, unfortunately. No doubt you're a smart guy, and I'm sure if you could go back and do undergrad over again without trying to balance military commitments, you'd do much better, but unfortunately law schools have to report your GPA as is.

jm4magic

New

Post by jm4magic » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:58 pm

Will the remaining 16 months of my post 9/11 G.I Bill cover at least two years of an ABA law school?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:06 pm

jm4magic wrote:Will the remaining 16 months of my post 9/11 G.I Bill cover at least two years of an ABA law school?
It might be close, depending on the school. My 1L year used up 7 months and 23 days, so two years would be about 15-1/2 months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jm4magic

New

Post by jm4magic » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:19 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
jm4magic wrote:Will the remaining 16 months of my post 9/11 G.I Bill cover at least two years of an ABA law school?
It might be close, depending on the school. My 1L year used up 7 months and 23 days, so two years would be about 15-1/2 months.
So worst comes to worst, I will incur a student loan of roughly $45,000 plus living expenses to obtain a J.D?

jm4magic

New

Post by jm4magic » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:34 pm

jm4magic wrote:Looking for support and guidance from fellow veterans. I am new to the TLS community.

My 2.23 GPA is going to very difficult to overcome even with a stellar score and I need to figure out if the schools I am likely to be admitted to would be worth my time and money. The legal market is brutal and there are thousands of law school graduates every year who cannot find work within the legal field. This problem isn't limited to the bottom 20 schools but exists within the T-14 as well.

I have been told that my application will be within the top 10% of law school applications when it comes to content and life experience (Muslim serving in the front lines at a time when the nation is at war with countries who are predominantly Muslim, lost over 165 lbs. to earn the title of Marine and earned my BA from SDSU in two years-was taking 28+ units per semester). Unfortunately law schools really wont evaluate my application until I get close to or exceed their GPA/LSAT medians.

Where I am in the process now: Registered for the February 2016 LSAT and I am taking a prep course through Testmasters. Averaging 140's on PT. I have a part time paralegal job, taking care of my family and I am getting old. Just turned 28.

2007-2012
0311/Marine Corps
1/1 and Fast Co.
Also,

I was born and raised in America while my parents are originally form Bangladesh. I know five languages, including the ability to read Arabic.
Am I considered a URM student?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:46 pm

jm4magic wrote: I was born and raised in America while my parents are originally form Bangladesh. I know five languages, including the ability to read Arabic.
Nope, you're not a URM.

And 45k to obtain a JD isn't awful, you're right, although you also have to consider living expenses while you're in school. Not to mention the three years of lost time when you could be doing something else. And some JDs are pretty worthless.

You mentioned you're a paralegal now. Is it a firm you could see yourself working at as an associate? Have you asked the firm if they would be willing to hire you if you got a JD?

jm4magic

New

Post by jm4magic » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:55 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
jm4magic wrote: I was born and raised in America while my parents are originally form Bangladesh. I know five languages, including the ability to read Arabic.
Nope, you're not a URM.

And 45k to obtain a JD isn't awful, you're right, although you also have to consider living expenses while you're in school. Not to mention the three years of lost time when you could be doing something else. And some JDs are pretty worthless.

You mentioned you're a paralegal now. Is it a firm you could see yourself working at as an associate? Have you asked the firm if they would be willing to hire you if you got a JD?
It's a boutique firm and I have not asked about associate positions. I could see my self working in a boutique law firm tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:20 pm

jm4magic wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Nope, you're not a URM.

It's a boutique firm and I have not asked about associate positions. I could see my self working in a boutique law firm tho.
Maybe broach the topic with someone. Just be wary if an older partner gives you overly optimistic advice, like, "Oh, sure! Go to the local TTTT! You'll get a job no problem." The legal economy was totally different when those guys graduated.

jm4magic

New

Post by jm4magic » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:26 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
jm4magic wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Nope, you're not a URM.

Maybe broach the topic with someone. Just be wary if an older partner gives you overly optimistic advice, like, "Oh, sure! Go to the local TTTT! You'll get a job no problem." The legal economy was totally different when those guys graduated.

Makes sense. Thanks again.

Maplesyrup

Bronze

Post by Maplesyrup » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:51 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
I'm pretty sure as long as you have a day you can get an entire semester.

http://vets.yuku.com/topic/115816#.VmOUCYv-_FI

jm4magic

New

Post by jm4magic » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Maplesyrup wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
I'm pretty sure as long as you have a day you can get an entire semester.

http://vets.yuku.com/topic/115816#.VmOUCYv-_FI
Solid. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pattycake121

New

Post by pattycake121 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:55 pm

Advice?

28years old
6 years service - honorable discharge
Deployment to Afghanistan
VA 80% disability rating (IED)
Undergrad: UCLA gpa 3.49
LSAD gpa 3.27

The ugly: Took the December 2014 LSAT - 139 :shock:. Just took the December 2015 LSAT and I feel like it did not go well at all - debating cancelling my score. Also, I enrolled in classes full-time for two semesters at a community college early in my enlistment resulting in two semesters of nearly all F/D's (this was in 2007-2008). That's why my LSAD gpa is lower than my graduating gpa.

Took the Blueprint LSAT prep online course. Also self-studied and did PTs 62-76. I was scoring in the high 150 range prior to the LSAT today. Was hoping to break 160 this time around but I feel like I got hit by a bus instead. Only felt confident answering a handful of LR questions - literally I only thought to myself "this is the answer for sure" maybe 5 or 6 times in all of LR. RC went pretty well I feel like I only got a few wrong at most. Then LG... Totally bombed LG. The first game went well and I probably got every question right for game 1 (6 questions), then basically completely guessed on the other three games. Which was odd considering I usually only miss a few on LG. Anyway, I was pretty devastated after section 5. Mustered what little motivation I had left to BS the writing sample then got out of there.

Worth it to cancel my score and take feb? Is it even going to matter if I get another low score after already scoring a 139 a year ago? I would be completely satisfied if I somehow got into Notre Dame - my dream law school.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:04 am

I am sorry to hear that you had a rough time during the test. Even though it was not what you hoped for, I am not sure that other than protecting your feelings from an undesirable score that canceling will accomplish much for you.

In my mind the big downside of canceling would be that you would lose out on the chance to get your results and have a chance to review your specific performance. Given you background, I suspect that you have done things that are considerably more stressful than the LSAT, but it might be that for some reason the test is rattling you a bit, and getting to the bottom of why is going to be useful to coming back and getting the results that you want.

ETA: Other than HYS, common TLS wisdom is that schools will only care about whatever your high score turns out to be. From personal experience, I had a double digit improvement in my LSAT, my cycle seemed to go (mostly) as one would expect from my top score, I do not think that lower initial score had any significant impact.

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Has anyone had luck with obtaining a voc rehab extension?

I'm not sure if I should apply for voc rehab before I start LS OR use up my GIB then apply for voc rehab which will require an extension to the 12 year expiration date.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:36 pm

pattycake121 wrote:Advice?

28years old
6 years service - honorable discharge
Deployment to Afghanistan
VA 80% disability rating (IED)
Undergrad: UCLA gpa 3.49
LSAD gpa 3.27

The ugly: Took the December 2014 LSAT - 139 :shock:. Just took the December 2015 LSAT and I feel like it did not go well at all - debating cancelling my score. Also, I enrolled in classes full-time for two semesters at a community college early in my enlistment resulting in two semesters of nearly all F/D's (this was in 2007-2008). That's why my LSAD gpa is lower than my graduating gpa.

Took the Blueprint LSAT prep online course. Also self-studied and did PTs 62-76. I was scoring in the high 150 range prior to the LSAT today. Was hoping to break 160 this time around but I feel like I got hit by a bus instead. Only felt confident answering a handful of LR questions - literally I only thought to myself "this is the answer for sure" maybe 5 or 6 times in all of LR. RC went pretty well I feel like I only got a few wrong at most. Then LG... Totally bombed LG. The first game went well and I probably got every question right for game 1 (6 questions), then basically completely guessed on the other three games. Which was odd considering I usually only miss a few on LG. Anyway, I was pretty devastated after section 5. Mustered what little motivation I had left to BS the writing sample then got out of there.

Worth it to cancel my score and take feb? Is it even going to matter if I get another low score after already scoring a 139 a year ago? I would be completely satisfied if I somehow got into Notre Dame - my dream law school.
Don't cancel! There's no upside to it, and maybe you did better than you think. It won't matter if you bombed it, schools only take the highest score.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WMcGregs

New

Post by WMcGregs » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:23 pm

Hey guys, I'll start with some background info. I am a former Marine infantryman and I got out as a Corporal in late 2013 and I have a deployment to Afghanistan under my belt. I currently receive 50% disability from the VA and by the time I attend law school, I'll have about 12-13 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill left.

I am currently enrolled in AMU (yes I know, online for profit school) because I work full time as a police officer in Georgia and couldn't keep going to a brick and mortar (yea, should have picked something other than AMU, made a mistake). As of right now I have right around a 3.0 LSAC GPA and will finish my undergrad in May. I have 21 credits remaining that I am predicting will all be A's.

So now for my situation, I attended the LSAT this December and am not too optimistic about it. I was PTing right around 160, which is way lower than I wanted, and I believe I didn't do too well at all. It was my first take and I really did want to apply this cycle. My goals are Emory, UGA, and last choice, Georgia State.

If I score around a 156-158 do you think I would have a chance for UGA, because I feel that if I attend GSU, I will have absolutely no chance at going into big law.

I guess the next option would be to wait until I finish my UG in May and study really hard with almost no distractions until the October exam and go for 170+. I really do not want to wait another year since I'm 26 and wanted to finish before I'm 30, but if I could attend a way better school, or even a T14 like UVA (which would be my dream school and I could possibly convince the wife to move to VA because her family is there), it could be worth it to wait.

Sorry for the drawn out post.

Maplesyrup

Bronze

Post by Maplesyrup » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:52 pm

WMcGregs wrote:Hey guys, I'll start with some background info. I am a former Marine infantryman and I got out as a Corporal in late 2013 and I have a deployment to Afghanistan under my belt. I currently receive 50% disability from the VA and by the time I attend law school, I'll have about 12-13 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill left.

I am currently enrolled in AMU (yes I know, online for profit school) because I work full time as a police officer in Georgia and couldn't keep going to a brick and mortar (yea, should have picked something other than AMU, made a mistake). As of right now I have right around a 3.0 LSAC GPA and will finish my undergrad in May. I have 21 credits remaining that I am predicting will all be A's.

So now for my situation, I attended the LSAT this December and am not too optimistic about it. I was PTing right around 160, which is way lower than I wanted, and I believe I didn't do too well at all. It was my first take and I really did want to apply this cycle. My goals are Emory, UGA, and last choice, Georgia State.

If I score around a 156-158 do you think I would have a chance for UGA, because I feel that if I attend GSU, I will have absolutely no chance at going into big law.

I guess the next option would be to wait until I finish my UG in May and study really hard with almost no distractions until the October exam and go for 170+. I really do not want to wait another year since I'm 26 and wanted to finish before I'm 30, but if I could attend a way better school, or even a T14 like UVA (which would be my dream school and I could possibly convince the wife to move to VA because her family is there), it could be worth it to wait.

you would have very little chance of uga with those numbers. you can get big law from gsu but you need to be top 5% or maybe top 10%. retaking is TCR if the lsat comes back in that range.

WMcGregs

New

Post by WMcGregs » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:01 pm

Maplesyrup wrote:
WMcGregs wrote:Hey guys, I'll start with some background info. I am a former Marine infantryman and I got out as a Corporal in late 2013 and I have a deployment to Afghanistan under my belt. I currently receive 50% disability from the VA and by the time I attend law school, I'll have about 12-13 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill left.

you would have very little chance of uga with those numbers. you can get big law from gsu but you need to be top 5% or maybe top 10%. retaking is TCR if the lsat comes back in that range.
I guess I do know it is the better choice, I am just dreading waiting a year to apply. It will be for the better though, I will have a higher GPA, have a lot of time to prepare for the LSAT, and will be more financially stable to quit my job. I didn't hit anywhere near my potential with prepping for the test. I know I can score in the 170's if I give myself an adequate time to study rather than stacking school, family, work, and LSAT prep.

Thanks for the quick response.

cmac2210

New

Post by cmac2210 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:37 pm

I know this has been asked before, but can anyone share strategies that may have worked on negotiating a bump in scholarship money and if it worked, what that bump was?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MidwestNYC

New

Post by MidwestNYC » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:51 pm

When should I apply for Voc Rehab or the GI Bill to have everything ready for the fall semester?

nontrad2014

New

Post by nontrad2014 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:01 am

OLitch wrote:Has anyone had luck with obtaining a voc rehab extension?

I'm not sure if I should apply for voc rehab before I start LS OR use up my GIB then apply for voc rehab which will require an extension to the 12 year expiration date.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Twelve years is not a concrete number. 38 CFR has many "outs" that allow you to bypass the 12 year restriction. I know two fellow students who applied after 12 years and it was a non issue (no one even raised it).

nontrad2014

New

Post by nontrad2014 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:09 am

MidwestNYC wrote:When should I apply for Voc Rehab or the GI Bill to have everything ready for the fall semester?
If you are already enrolled then apply for Voc Rehab and forget the BI Bill. If not enrolled, apply for GI Bill now and also Voc Rehab. That way if your Voc Rehab paperwork is not processed in time you fall back on the GI Bill. Further, once accepted or attending law school makes Voc Rehab approval that much easier.

In our region I have seen Voc Rehab approve veterans in 2 business days, and others wait 6+ months. Start early and stay on them. But, keep in mind Voc Rehab is not a guaranteed educational program...sell it. Once accepted it is that much easier.

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:32 pm

nontrad2014 wrote:
MidwestNYC wrote:When should I apply for Voc Rehab or the GI Bill to have everything ready for the fall semester?
If you are already enrolled then apply for Voc Rehab and forget the BI Bill. If not enrolled, apply for GI Bill now and also Voc Rehab. That way if your Voc Rehab paperwork is not processed in time you fall back on the GI Bill. Further, once accepted or attending law school makes Voc Rehab approval that much easier.

In our region I have seen Voc Rehab approve veterans in 2 business days, and others wait 6+ months. Start early and stay on them. But, keep in mind Voc Rehab is not a guaranteed educational program...sell it. Once accepted it is that much easier.
I'm getting the impression that you think Voc rehab is better than the GIBill, why? Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”