Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Longsx3
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Longsx3 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:40 pm

MT Cicero wrote:UPDATED SPREADSHEET FOR 2015-16

Here it is: 2015-16 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

Of note:

--Public schools are on the right and really are just here for you to reference BAH. The new law will grant in-state tuition so the G.I. Bill will cover without Yellow Ribbon.

--The few schools that don't have a color fill for their tuition haven't posted yet. So, their tuition is last year's + 3 percent.

--I realize there are a couple schools that technically have a few dollars left over that are in the "free" area. I'm guessing these schools have their YRP set so that the match is 100%, and the tuition numbers I'm picking up from their website are close, but not perfectly precise.

--Make sure to keep an eye out for schools with a small number of slots (really...one slot Baylor?). Also, some of the slots are for the ENTIRE school system, not just the law school.

Any questions, let me know!


That is a great Spreadsheet and I will share it with my Daughter.

She has asked me if the best way to determine how YRP slots are allocated as specific schools, one of which is Wake Forrest, is it best to contact the Va office at each school?

Also FYI, she was told at Vandy the first 10K of any academic scholarship is offset by the 10k for YRP. Anything thing above 10K in academic money is added to your offer.

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:24 am

Longsx3 wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:UPDATED SPREADSHEET FOR 2015-16

Here it is: 2015-16 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

Of note:

--Public schools are on the right and really are just here for you to reference BAH. The new law will grant in-state tuition so the G.I. Bill will cover without Yellow Ribbon.

--The few schools that don't have a color fill for their tuition haven't posted yet. So, their tuition is last year's + 3 percent.

--I realize there are a couple schools that technically have a few dollars left over that are in the "free" area. I'm guessing these schools have their YRP set so that the match is 100%, and the tuition numbers I'm picking up from their website are close, but not perfectly precise.

--Make sure to keep an eye out for schools with a small number of slots (really...one slot Baylor?). Also, some of the slots are for the ENTIRE school system, not just the law school.

Any questions, let me know!


That is a great Spreadsheet and I will share it with my Daughter.

She has asked me if the best way to determine how YRP slots are allocated as specific schools, one of which is Wake Forrest, is it best to contact the Va office at each school?

Also FYI, she was told at Vandy the first 10K of any academic scholarship is offset by the 10k for YRP. Anything thing above 10K in academic money is added to your offer.


Thanks! I would first go to the VA site for general info on slots: http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/yello ... t_2015.asp (Wake Forest has 6 slots for the law school alone)

Then, I would contact the school to both (a) confirm that number, (b) ask how many students are currently on the YRP (returning 2Ls and 3Ls), and (c) ask if they would consider honoring the YRP past that number if they're close.

And yes, many schools have the first part of their scholarship offers eaten up by VA programs, just like the situation you're describing at Vandy.

Longsx3
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Longsx3 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:05 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
Thanks! I would first go to the VA site for general info on slots: http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/yello ... t_2015.asp (Wake Forest has 6 slots for the law school alone)

Then, I would contact the school to both (a) confirm that number, (b) ask how many students are currently on the YRP (returning 2Ls and 3Ls), and (c) ask if they would consider honoring the YRP past that number if they're close.

And yes, many schools have the first part of their scholarship offers eaten up by VA programs, just like the situation you're describing at Vandy.



Thank you for all of the info, it will definitely help her once she can shift her focus to law school apps from this week Bio II class.

Troianii
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:13 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Troianii » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:05 pm

Wow. Reading this I'm just impressed that so many of ya'll have done so well - and congrats to all of you. I thought I was doing well when among my group of friends I got a 158 on the lsat. My GPA isn't so hot, 3.0, partially because I struggled with untreated service connected disabilities (my disability app took far longer than the average), and partially because (later on) I took harder classes with it much care for nursing my gpa.

Anyways, I know a lot of people a think it's top 30 (or 50) or don't bother with law school, and looking at the employment figures j generally agree, but my thinking is that if I can get into a niche field at a school that excels in it I'll be alright. Namely intellectual property at UNH. They're 87th on US News, but they've consistently in the top ten for IP law, and their grads entering the private sector average starting salaries just barely into six figures. And he'll that's good enough for me.

Troianii
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:13 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Troianii » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Also I'm considering a few reaches, namely Tulane and BC. I figure I've got a fair chance at Tulane (roughly 35%), and slim to no chance at BC (10-15%), based mostly on lsac's predictor. Just how accurate is that predictor? I've heard that it's the most accurate and that it's incredibly inaccurate, but I figure it's compilation of lsat and gpa statistics can't be off. :/

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13487
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Troianii wrote:Wow. Reading this I'm just impressed that so many of ya'll have done so well - and congrats to all of you. I thought I was doing well when among my group of friends I got a 158 on the lsat. My GPA isn't so hot, 3.0, partially because I struggled with untreated service connected disabilities (my disability app took far longer than the average), and partially because (later on) I took harder classes with it much care for nursing my gpa.

Anyways, I know a lot of people a think it's top 30 (or 50) or don't bother with law school, and looking at the employment figures j generally agree, but my thinking is that if I can get into a niche field at a school that excels in it I'll be alright. Namely intellectual property at UNH. They're 87th on US News, but they've consistently in the top ten for IP law, and their grads entering the private sector average starting salaries just barely into six figures. And he'll that's good enough for me.


I'd caution you to not put too much weight on specialty rankings or average starting salaries. Specialty rankings are calculated by polling law professors on which schools produce the best scholarship in a given area, not which schools have the most placement into an area. Average salaries are calculated by averaging the salaries of people who are a) employed and b) report their salary when polled. I'm not saying don't go, especially if you can ride the GI bill, but I'd look very closely at the numbers behind the scenes and would strongly recommend a retake on the LSAT before you take the plunge.

zVo
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby zVo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:20 pm

How many of you guys got your undergraduate degree online and how did it affect admissions (if at all)?

I received a B.S. in Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's Worldwide campus. I did a hybrid of brick-and-mortar and online classes due to my unpredictable schedule as an Army warrant officer aviator. I received a cumulative GPA of 3.55 and am currently studying for the LSAT. With a solid LSAT score, do I stand a shot at getting accepted into a T14 law school?

User avatar
storpappa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby storpappa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:32 pm

I had to submit transcripts from over a dozen universities because of courses taken at sea and by mail. Other then lots of $10.00 transcript fees it did not impact me in any major way. I talked about it in my PS. Taking an online course now should have little or no impact as it's more common and acceptable

zVo
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby zVo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:39 pm

storpappa wrote:I had to submit transcripts from over a dozen universities because of courses taken at sea and by mail. Other then lots of $10.00 transcript fees it did not impact me in any major way. I talked about it in my PS. Taking an online course now should have little or no impact as it's more common and acceptable


Storpappa, thank you for the feedback and I'll definitely discuss it in my PS. That's a huge relief.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby haus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:29 pm

zVo wrote:
storpappa wrote:I had to submit transcripts from over a dozen universities because of courses taken at sea and by mail. Other then lots of $10.00 transcript fees it did not impact me in any major way. I talked about it in my PS. Taking an online course now should have little or no impact as it's more common and acceptable


Storpappa, thank you for the feedback and I'll definitely discuss it in my PS. That's a huge relief.

I was right at a dozen schools myself, 11 undergrad, one grad school.

I had taken a few old school mail correspondence courses, and maybe 10 online courses in undergrad. My grad work was about 75% online.

I do not think it had much, if any impact on my cycle, which played out how one would expect by LSAC GPA and LSAT.

BNA
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby BNA » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:08 pm

zVo wrote:How many of you guys got your undergraduate degree online and how did it affect admissions (if at all)?

I received a B.S. in Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's Worldwide campus. I did a hybrid of brick-and-mortar and online classes due to my unpredictable schedule as an Army warrant officer aviator. I received a cumulative GPA of 3.55 and am currently studying for the LSAT. With a solid LSAT score, do I stand a shot at getting accepted into a T14 law school?



Slightly off topic: For those that haven't graduated yet, I think what online school you go to does have an impact. Embry-Riddle is a well respected online university, but we all know about the ones out there eating up those tuition assistance dollars. I pleaded with my guys not to graduate from AMU or the like when there are major state universities that offer correspondence degrees, and that will align with TA funding.

User avatar
PoopyPants
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:55 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby PoopyPants » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:32 pm

zVo wrote:How many of you guys got your undergraduate degree online and how did it affect admissions (if at all)?

I received a B.S. in Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's Worldwide campus. I did a hybrid of brick-and-mortar and online classes due to my unpredictable schedule as an Army warrant officer aviator. I received a cumulative GPA of 3.55 and am currently studying for the LSAT. With a solid LSAT score, do I stand a shot at getting accepted into a T14 law school?


I am not applying yet myself, but from what I gather on this board (and in personal experience talking to others), so long as the degree is not from a fly-by-night diploma mill, we should be fine. For the vast majority of people, the undergrad institution itself doesn't matter. I'm finishing up my degree online as well, although I did almost all my general ed courses brick-and-mortar. As BNA said above, so long as you've gone to a legitimate school, you're fine.

ETA: By way of introduction:

~No LSAT yet. Diagnostic was pretty high, but I'm still going to study like crazy until I take (probably next year).
~About to graduate with a math degree (overall GPA 3.86, major GPA 3.92--unfortunately, LSAC GPA will be lower because of dumbness before Navy)
~Navy, GM2 (SW)/E-5 (Small Arms, Mk38, VLS)--6 years when I get out
~A deployment so far, but will almost certainly have a second one before EAOS
~Non-URM
~Non-trad only in that I am military (like everyone here) and a little older than the average (will be 33 when I apply)

Hoping for T14 (would love Berkeley or Penn [and S, but that's not gonna happen]), but we'll see. I'll settle for a good regional, since I already have a job.

mike0331
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:27 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby mike0331 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:58 pm

Troianii wrote:Also I'm considering a few reaches, namely Tulane and BC. I figure I've got a fair chance at Tulane (roughly 35%), and slim to no chance at BC (10-15%), based mostly on lsac's predictor. Just how accurate is that predictor? I've heard that it's the most accurate and that it's incredibly inaccurate, but I figure it's compilation of lsat and gpa statistics can't be off. :/


Retake your LSAT. I got a 158 my first time around, and a 165 my second attempt. That got me into BC with a 3.2 STEM degree from a good state school, and a solid scholarship, as well as close to a free ride at higher ranked schools. Applying with a 158 at this point in the game would be foolish.
You have plenty of time to practice, it is an incredibly teachable/learnable test. I'm lucky I got a 158 the first time because my cutoff was going to be 160. The 158 inspired me to put to foot to ass, and by the time I took the test again 3 months later I was PTing consistently in the 170s. I made a stupid mistake in the LGs but the 165 turned out to have been enough.

Mike

corman3000
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:25 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby corman3000 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Question about VRE: Since I'm starting out this year, I haven't started receiving benefits yet but my plan is in place already.

For my books, should I just pay for them and then try to get reimbursed or do I receive a book stipend later? I'm in the process of getting my case transferred because I'm moving for school so I don't know who my counselor is right now.

User avatar
ZuluRosa
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:54 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ZuluRosa » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:40 pm

corman3000 wrote:Question about VRE: Since I'm starting out this year, I haven't started receiving benefits yet but my plan is in place already.

For my books, should I just pay for them and then try to get reimbursed or do I receive a book stipend later? I'm in the process of getting my case transferred because I'm moving for school so I don't know who my counselor is right now.


"VA will pay eligible veterans an annual book stipend of up to $1,000. This stipend will paid at the beginning of each term. It is paid proportionately based on the number of credits taken by each student at $41 per credit hour" source military.com

I'm not sure if I've missed anything...but I hope that helps.

User avatar
Dcc617
Posts: 1480
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:44 pm

Good morning all.

Has anyone here done law school and reserves at the same time? If so, how has your experience been?

I know it's been brought up before in this thread, but I haven't seen the firsthand stories that I'm looking for, I guess.

I see the pros to be the bonus, monthly pay, insurance, and ability to continue service.

I see the cons as the time commitment, decreased mobility for summer work, etc, and the possibility of getting called up to deploy in the middle of school.

Thoughts? I'm asking because I leaving active duty in the next few months and have to decide whether or not I'm going to do reserves.

User avatar
OLitch
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby OLitch » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Does anyone know how military fee waivers work? Do I need to request a waiver from each school or will the waiver be automatic when you check the "military" box on the application?

User avatar
Dcc617
Posts: 1480
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:07 pm

0LB1tch wrote:Does anyone know how military fee waivers work? Do I need to request a waiver from each school or will the waiver be automatic when you check the "military" box on the application?


Ask each school, unless the website specifically says otherwise.

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13487
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Good morning all.

Has anyone here done law school and reserves at the same time? If so, how has your experience been?

I know it's been brought up before in this thread, but I haven't seen the firsthand stories that I'm looking for, I guess.

I see the pros to be the bonus, monthly pay, insurance, and ability to continue service.

I see the cons as the time commitment, decreased mobility for summer work, etc, and the possibility of getting called up to deploy in the middle of school.

Thoughts? I'm asking because I leaving active duty in the next few months and have to decide whether or not I'm going to do reserves.


I can't give you anecdotes because I decided not to do it. The way I saw it, the risk of having a two-week training or a deployment come up at one of those critical times in your legal career (OCI, 2L SA, exams) ourweighed any possible rewards.

User avatar
storpappa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby storpappa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:25 pm

Waivers -- use the very helpful waiver thread when sending in your waiver requests

Some schools like Univ of Penn have formal process, others range from email request to phone call ask casual

If your school isn't listed, ask then please update the thread with YMMV

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby haus » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Good morning all.

Has anyone here done law school and reserves at the same time? If so, how has your experience been?

I know it's been brought up before in this thread, but I haven't seen the firsthand stories that I'm looking for, I guess.

I see the pros to be the bonus, monthly pay, insurance, and ability to continue service.

I see the cons as the time commitment, decreased mobility for summer work, etc, and the possibility of getting called up to deploy in the middle of school.

Thoughts? I'm asking because I leaving active duty in the next few months and have to decide whether or not I'm going to do reserves.

I opted not to go reserves on my departure from the service, so I do not have first hand experience. But I have several co-workers who are reservist. This group has been far more active than the one weekend per month/two weeks per year that used to be pitched as the expected time commitment. The guy with the office next to me just made Lt. Col. this year, but he has missed roughly 4 months of work in the last two years (since he came on board), and this is without a combat tour, which I understand he did not long before joining our org.

I am sure that there are units with much lower demands, but it might be difficult to know exactly what you are in for until you are knee deep in it.

User avatar
Dcc617
Posts: 1480
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Dcc617 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:07 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Good morning all.

Has anyone here done law school and reserves at the same time? If so, how has your experience been?

I know it's been brought up before in this thread, but I haven't seen the firsthand stories that I'm looking for, I guess.

I see the pros to be the bonus, monthly pay, insurance, and ability to continue service.

I see the cons as the time commitment, decreased mobility for summer work, etc, and the possibility of getting called up to deploy in the middle of school.

Thoughts? I'm asking because I leaving active duty in the next few months and have to decide whether or not I'm going to do reserves.


I can't give you anecdotes because I decided not to do it. The way I saw it, the risk of having a two-week training or a deployment come up at one of those critical times in your legal career (OCI, 2L SA, exams) ourweighed any possible rewards.


I appreciate this and the other responses. I don't think I'm going to sign up for the reserves any more. The money would have been nice, but the possible opportunity cost of that money is too high.

BNA
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby BNA » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:16 am

Anyone willing to forward a solid (redacted) cover letter that relates service, or have suggestions? I'm trying to decide on wording and how to incorporate it without pushing it too hard. Thanks in advance.

ToadToad
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ToadToad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Enlisted Marine checking in. Just curious to hear anyone's thoughts on Service2School. I stumbled across it the other day and filled out their form. Have any of you had any experience working with them?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TripTrip » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Good morning all.

Has anyone here done law school and reserves at the same time? If so, how has your experience been?

I know it's been brought up before in this thread, but I haven't seen the firsthand stories that I'm looking for, I guess.

I see the pros to be the bonus, monthly pay, insurance, and ability to continue service.

I see the cons as the time commitment, decreased mobility for summer work, etc, and the possibility of getting called up to deploy in the middle of school.

Thoughts? I'm asking because I leaving active duty in the next few months and have to decide whether or not I'm going to do reserves.


I can't give you anecdotes because I decided not to do it. The way I saw it, the risk of having a two-week training or a deployment come up at one of those critical times in your legal career (OCI, 2L SA, exams) ourweighed any possible rewards.


I appreciate this and the other responses. I don't think I'm going to sign up for the reserves any more. The money would have been nice, but the possible opportunity cost of that money is too high.

Totally missed this. I'm a 3L and have been National Guard the whole time. Works fine.

I'm even halfway across the country from my unit and fly home most months. The tuition reimbursement for me ($36k/yr) is totally worth it.

If your leadership isn't will to work with you to reassign a two-week training so you can attend OCI, you just have shitty leadership. I missed 3 weeks of my internship last year for training, but it was not a big deal. The employer understood.

I was almost deployed. It might have been shitty timing, but it's not like there's ever a good time in your life to be deployed.

It's totally doable, but to each his own.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests