Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Cravin

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Postby Cravin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Any ideas/guessed as to when the yellow ribbon amounts will be set for 2012-13 year?

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Cravin wrote:Any ideas/guessed as to when the yellow ribbon amounts will be set for 2012-13 year?

When have they come out in years past? That would probably be the best indicator.

I don't have any idea, but on a slightly related note, I am under the impression that schools offer a certain number of yellow ribbon slots. Does anyone think it would worthwhile to mention to schools in some way that I would not be requesting a YR contribution to my tuition? A couple of private schools have put me on hold/WL and based on my numbers for which I should have been rejected straight away. With first hand knowledge of other veterans currently accepted at these schools, I am wondering if maybe they are waiting to see if those veterans will matriculate so that they can make sure to check the block on their veteran quota.

I plan to use the VA vocational rehab, and hope that maybe the fact that my tuition in full is guaranteed and will not require a school to use up a yellow ribbon slot might give them some incentive to consider me in addition to, rather than in the absence of, other vets attending.

As well, I would offer for those unfamiliar with the VA voc rehab program to consider it as an option if you have already burned up your GI bill in undergrad, transferred you GI bill to a dependent, or did not qualify for it. It is available to those with 10% VA disability with a serious employment handicap or 20% and greater VA disability. It provides 48 months of benefit and depending on your situation, works alongside the GI bill. So, if you used the 36 months of post 9/11, you would have 12 months of benefits left with voc rehab. If you transferred your benefits to a dependent prior to using voc rehab, you get all 48 months. Thats the general gist of how it works, but there are a lot more to the specifics of it. I just attended the briefing on it and think I have a pretty good grasp, so if anyone on here has questions, post them and I can try to answer them for you.

The benefits include full tuition regardless of the institution, subsistence allowance (tax free I believe, something like 700 bucks, but if you have anything left of your GI bill, you can get the higher GI bill subsistence allowance for the period of benefits you have remaining), all of your required books and other expenses (computer) - the program is not specific to higher education and is meant to see you through to gaining actual employment, so if you want to be an air conditioner repairman, it will buy your required tools, uniform, whatever. In the case of gaining legal employment, you can request that it pays for your work uniform, e.g. suits, your personal legal library, required office supplies, whatever.

The website for applying for these benefits is:

http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp

Hope this helps someone out there.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:02 pm

EMZE wrote:
Cravin wrote:Any ideas/guessed as to when the yellow ribbon amounts will be set for 2012-13 year?

When have they come out in years past? That would probably be the best indicator.

I don't have any idea, but on a slightly related note, I am under the impression that schools offer a certain number of yellow ribbon slots. Does anyone think it would worthwhile to mention to schools in some way that I would not be requesting a YR contribution to my tuition? A couple of private schools have put me on hold/WL and based on my numbers for which I should have been rejected straight away. With first hand knowledge of other veterans currently accepted at these schools, I am wondering if maybe they are waiting to see if those veterans will matriculate so that they can make sure to check the block on their veteran quota.

I plan to use the VA vocational rehab, and hope that maybe the fact that my tuition in full is guaranteed and will not require a school to use up a yellow ribbon slot might give them some incentive to consider me in addition to, rather than in the absence of, other vets attending.

As well, I would offer for those unfamiliar with the VA voc rehab program to consider it as an option if you have already burned up your GI bill in undergrad, transferred you GI bill to a dependent, or did not qualify for it. It is available to those with 10% VA disability with a serious employment handicap or 20% and greater VA disability. It provides 48 months of benefit and depending on your situation, works alongside the GI bill. So, if you used the 36 months of post 9/11, you would have 12 months of benefits left with voc rehab. If you transferred your benefits to a dependent prior to using voc rehab, you get all 48 months. Thats the general gist of how it works, but there are a lot more to the specifics of it. I just attended the briefing on it and think I have a pretty good grasp, so if anyone on here has questions, post them and I can try to answer them for you.

The benefits include full tuition regardless of the institution, subsistence allowance (tax free I believe, something like 700 bucks, but if you have anything left of your GI bill, you can get the higher GI bill subsistence allowance for the period of benefits you have remaining), all of your required books and other expenses (computer) - the program is not specific to higher education and is meant to see you through to gaining actual employment, so if you want to be an air conditioner repairman, it will buy your required tools, uniform, whatever. In the case of gaining legal employment, you can request that it pays for your work uniform, e.g. suits, your personal legal library, required office supplies, whatever.

The website for applying for these benefits is:

http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp

Hope this helps someone out there.

I doubt mentioning it makes a difference. I'm pretty sure its illegal for them to make an admission decision based upon the receipt or non-receipt of VA money. I know they are prohibited from considering it during their merit/need-based decisions.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:10 pm

From a different thread:
Cavgirl wrote:I found Michigan and Chicago to be very receptive to vets and even got a personal email from one.

Anyone have any info on this in regards to financing? The yellow ribbon program only gives $5,500 to 4 individuals.

So:
+5,500
+5,500
--------
28,500 <<<<< 47,000 tuition

Do you know if veterans are usually given additional support? Does residency matter?

I was recently waitlisted, so Im trying to decide how I want to proceed.

Thanks.

mjpennin

Postby mjpennin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 pm

It is really nice to find a group of Military applicants on this site. I have been skimming the forums for a couple of months now and decided to post here.

E-5 USMC
Cryptologic Linguist/Analysts
7.5 (just short of 8) yrs
LSAT 155
LSAC GPA 2.7 Degree GPA 2.9
Applying AU, UMD, UBALT, Catholic (ALL PT)
Goal is to stay in the DC Maryland area

Background: I started my undergrad at U. S. Carolina and had a great time well my great time meant that I failed almost all of my classes and finished that year with a 1.38 and since the LSAC likes to count every single class that you have ever taken well kind of messed up my stats a bit. I figured that I still have a decent enough chance the LSAT I figured I can get a better score and I have just started sending in apps now because I have been working on my PS for about 2 months now having everyone just short of the occupy DC people proofing it. I have of course also included a academic addendum explaining how much of an idiot I was and lastly I, by the grace of god, maintained a 3.8 my final year of undergrad so hope this all helps me out. Good luck to all of you and congrats to those who have acceptance letters already.
Last edited by mjpennin on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:28 pm

mjpennin wrote:It is really nice to find a group of Military applicants on this site. I have been skimming the forums for a couple of months now and decided to post here.

E-5 USMC
LSAT 155
LSAC GPA 2.9 Degree GPA 3.2

Background: I started my undergrad at U. S. Carolina and had a great time well my great time meant that I failed almost all of my classes and finished that year with a 1.38 and since the LSAC likes to count every single class that you have ever taken well kind of messed up my stats a bit. I figured that I still have a decent enough chance the LSAT I figured I can get a better score and I have just started sending in apps now because I have been working on my PS for about 2 months now having everyone just short of the occupy DC people proofing it. I have of course also included a academic addendum explaining how much of an idiot I was and lastly I, by the grace of god, maintained a 3.8 my final year of undergrad so hope this all helps me out. Good luck to all of you and congrats to those who have acceptance letters already.

Are you in AF right now? If so, you could be working within 200 meters of me right now...

mjpennin

Postby mjpennin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:24 am

Kring345 wrote:
mjpennin wrote:It is really nice to find a group of Military applicants on this site. I have been skimming the forums for a couple of months now and decided to post here.

E-5 USMC
LSAT 155
LSAC GPA 2.9 Degree GPA 3.2

Are you in AF right now? If so, you could be working within 200 meters of me right now...

Nope I am currently stateside, I was going to try to deploy one last time and get that money in the bank before I got out but instead decided to stick around and focus on school and my hopefully future career.

afangel804

Postby afangel804 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:05 pm

I've been lurking for a while and decided to post since my apps are sent out. Must have something else to fill my spare time!

USAF E-5, 6 years
1A8, Airborne Cryptologic Language Analyst
155 LSAT
3.84 LSDAS GPA
Applied to: University of Florida, UNC, Richmond, George Washington, Maryland, Penn State, Temple, BU, Northeastern

I'm a criminal justice undergrad and want to either go back into government work or do criminal prosecution. Maryland is my first choice & Boston is my reach school. I didn't study as much as I should have for the LSAT and it definitely showed. If my LSAT score keeps me from getting into a good school, I will retake and aim higher next cycle. Good luck to everyone. It's nice to see other military on the board.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:14 pm

afangel804 wrote:I've been lurking for a while and decided to post since my apps are sent out. Must have something else to fill my spare time!

USAF E-5, 6 years
1A8, Airborne Cryptologic Language Analyst
155 LSAT
3.84 LSDAS GPA
Applied to: University of Florida, UNC, Richmond, George Washington, Maryland, Penn State, Temple, BU, Northeastern

I'm a criminal justice undergrad and want to either go back into government work or do criminal prosecution. Maryland is my first choice & Boston is my reach school. I didn't study as much as I should have for the LSAT and it definitely showed. If my LSAT score keeps me from getting into a good school, I will retake and aim higher next cycle. Good luck to everyone. It's nice to see other military on the board.

If you can afford to wait out a cycle, you can totally improve that LSAT. I studied a month between my first and second go, and went 157-167. Put in about a month before the first test. Work schedule didnt really accomodate my LSAT goals.That GPA +your experience+ an LSAT 165+ will open a lot more doors that are a lot better and probably worth the year off. My 3.4/167 has me in at GULC.

afangel804

Postby afangel804 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:33 pm

I am nervous that all the schools I applied to will reject me. At first I really just wanted to go this year, no matter what. After thinking about it for a while, I will retake next October and apply next cycle--depending on which schools (if any) admit me. I agree that I could get into an awesome school if I could raise my LSAT to 165 but I am definitely feeling a little impatient at this point.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:17 am

afangel804 wrote:I am nervous that all the schools I applied to will reject me. At first I really just wanted to go this year, no matter what. After thinking about it for a while, I will retake next October and apply next cycle--depending on which schools (if any) admit me. I agree that I could get into an awesome school if I could raise my LSAT to 165 but I am definitely feeling a little impatient at this point.

Your position I completely commisserate with. If I didnt get into GULC or higher, I was considering waiting the cycle out, taking a contracting job in Dubai for a year, and retaking the LSAT to try and get into the 170's.

You only get one shot at a JD, and transferring is very difficult. Your degree granting institutiton stays with you for the rest of your career. Not that you cant be successful outside of T-14, but you are in a position to suffer through some patience and really change the entire course of your future.

I have a friend with a lower GPA by .02 and a 167 LSAT thats now at Harvard. If you are retaking in October, study your ass off, get that score into the 170's, and pick your school at your leisiure.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Updating on my cycle, got into Berkeley 2 days ago.

That someone with my digits is getting in to some of the schools I have indicates, at least to me, my military experience has proven to be a big boost.

Either that or I killed the LSAT writing sample.

afangel804

Postby afangel804 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:58 pm

EMZE wrote:

This.

No, really, congrats on Berkeley!

sgt101st

Postby sgt101st » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:29 pm

EMZE wrote:Updating on my cycle, got into Berkeley 2 days ago.

That someone with my digits is getting in to some of the schools I have indicates, at least to me, my military experience has proven to be a big boost.

What's your rough digits?

GPA: 3.85 (3.2 LSDAS because of schooling prior to Army)
LSAT: 169

I got rejected right quick from Berkley.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:53 pm

sgt101st wrote:
EMZE wrote:Updating on my cycle, got into Berkeley 2 days ago.

What's your rough digits?

GPA: 3.85 (3.2 LSDAS because of schooling prior to Army)
LSAT: 169

I got rejected right quick from Berkley.

3.4 167

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Update:

GEOINT Sgt, 5 years active, 3 deployments, Big10 undergrad, 1 excellent LOR, 2 good LORs with 168/3.8 and white dude with upper-middle class background.

Accepted at Berk, Mich, GULC, Cornell, UCLA, USC, and a few other randoms.
Held for further review at Harvard, Penn, and NW. Still in the running at Stanford.
Not a whisper from CLS or NYU.
Waitlisted at Chicago and UVA.

sgt101st

Postby sgt101st » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:30 pm

I've gotten WL/ rejected from all T14 schools I've heard back from, just waiting on Cornell, NYU, UCLA, Upenn. Gotta love 5 1/2 years with two deployments not offsetting back grades I didn't even use for credit almost a decade ago :-/

californihuh

Postby californihuh » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:09 pm

congrats to everyone who got into decent schools. hopefully I'll be joining next cycle.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:17 pm

got 78k from SMU. I don't know if I will really go, but just thought I would mention that they explicitly said in my acceptance letter something about being impressed with my military service. I am 164/3.05, so I really outperformed my numbers for this school. I guess this just perpetuates the notion that Texas loves vets. :D

Postby 91920010 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:00 am

I'm not a veteran, but I was lurking on the boards, stumbled across this thread, and wanted to thank you all for your service. best of luck to each of you throughout this process and in everything that lies ahead!

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:04 am

Thank you for your support!

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:44 pm

lemonlyman wrote:
EMZE wrote:
lemonlyman wrote:Quick plug for Columbia. We've got a great group of vets at Columbia Law (10 in the JD program and 2 in the LLM program) and if you, or any other vets you know have any questions about Columbia please let us know. Our website/contact info is here:

http://www.law.columbia.edu/military-as ... on/contact

Columbia is very supportive of vets and provides great resources, especially when dealing with the VA. If any vets are going to be in NYC make sure they get in contact with us -- free lunch and/or drinks. Best of luck all!

Haha. Shameless plug! Way to go and get all of our hopes up. Are you currently a student/faculty member?
Thanks for the contact info, I can only hope that I will need to use it.

I am a current 2L and very interested in making sure CLS continues to have a solid veteran presence in the law school. Please shoot me a message if anyone has questions.

Was just accepted as a vet. And I just posted this in regards to financing at CLS for veterans. Can you take a look? Or feel free to PM me. Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178987

sgt101st

Postby sgt101st » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Kring345 wrote:
lemonlyman wrote:
EMZE wrote:
lemonlyman wrote:Quick plug for Columbia. We've got a great group of vets at Columbia Law (10 in the JD program and 2 in the LLM program) and if you, or any other vets you know have any questions about Columbia please let us know. Our website/contact info is here:

http://www.law.columbia.edu/military-as ... on/contact

Columbia is very supportive of vets and provides great resources, especially when dealing with the VA. If any vets are going to be in NYC make sure they get in contact with us -- free lunch and/or drinks. Best of luck all!

Haha. Shameless plug! Way to go and get all of our hopes up. Are you currently a student/faculty member?
Thanks for the contact info, I can only hope that I will need to use it.

I am a current 2L and very interested in making sure CLS continues to have a solid veteran presence in the law school. Please shoot me a message if anyone has questions.

Was just accepted as a vet. And I just posted this in regards to financing at CLS for veterans. Can you take a look? Or feel free to PM me. Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178987

Damn congrats man. I got waitlisted at CLS about a week ago, definitely a school I would be honored to attend. Sadly my LSAT just wasn't enough to make up for the LSDAS GPA :-/ Is there anything in particular that you can think of that you might have emphasized on your personal statement with regards to your military service?

californihuh

Postby californihuh » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:36 pm

sgt101st wrote:Damn congrats man. I got waitlisted at CLS about a week ago, definitely a school I would be honored to attend. Sadly my LSAT just wasn't enough to make up for the LSDAS GPA :-/ Is there anything in particular that you can think of that you might have emphasized on your personal statement with regards to your military service?

Right there with you. Although I haven't taken the LSAT yet, I would kill for your score given my mediocre GPA. Do you have a profile under LSN? I'd be interested in seeing how your applications pan out.

sgt101st

Postby sgt101st » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Right there with you. Although I haven't taken the LSAT yet, I would kill for your score given my mediocre GPA. Do you have a profile under LSN? I'd be interested in seeing how your applications pan out.[/quote]

Nah, honestly I didn't want to be embarrassed, and turns out I was right. With a 3.85 institutional GPA (LSDAS 3.25) and 169:

Highest rank acceptance is GW.
Waitlist: Harvard, CLS, NW, UMich,
Rejected: Chicago, Yale, Boalt, UVA, Duke, Georgetown, U Texas, BU

I'm being optimistic that the adcomms could see that the LSDAS GPA doesn't represent the level of academic work I'm capable of and that my time in the Army changed who I am, but that sadly they just didn't want to take the hit to their medians. Plan is to retake in June to break 173+ to make myself a less risky prospect because I can pull up an LSAT median in exchange for the GPA hit.

Funny true story:

Receive rejection letter from Georgetown. 3 days later, I get an email from them because I'm the president of our school's student-veteran association saying that they want to encourage veterans to attend Georgetown Law school and offered a meeting for interested students with the Dean of Admissions. Yeah...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”