Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SemperLegal

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:05 pm

Got my credit info stolen last night, thanks OPM

haus

Postby haus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:54 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Got my credit info stolen last night, thanks OPM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, it was stolen along time ago. They just got around to finally telling you that it was stolen.

BNA

Postby BNA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:16 pm

1L v Bootcamp/Training. Which was worse?

Longsx3

Postby Longsx3 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:22 pm

Opinions please: my daughter (19) is applying in the fall, she has a 3.5 and a first attempt LSAT of 167, she will have 20 months of 100% GI Bill remaining after her graduation from Bama. When negotiating scholarships do you think that it will be a possibility to get that last semester covered?

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:05 pm

BNA wrote:1L v Bootcamp/Training. Which was worse?

Just based on length, 1L was such a protracted grind when compared to either basic or OTS. But I mostly enjoyed it, so I'll still say either of the latter two.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:29 pm

Longsx3 wrote:Opinions please: my daughter (19) is applying in the fall, she has a 3.5 and a first attempt LSAT of 167, she will have 20 months of 100% GI Bill remaining after her graduation from Bama. When negotiating scholarships do you think that it will be a possibility to get that last semester covered?

I'm guessing you transferred your GI Bill benefits to your daughter. Nice!

Is she just all about law school or something? To be 19 and have already taken the LSAT is pretty high speed. Well, I'll just quickly make a pitch for a couple years of work in between undergrad and law school. Sounds like she'll be at most 21 when she begins (if her birthday falls in July or August). There's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but I'm plenty older and have some good experiences that I wouldn't trade to have been a minted lawyer at age 23/24.

On to your question. First, if she's not signed up for the October test, have her do that now! Since you used the term "first attempt," I assume this is already the plan? With GI + YRP, she's only bound by where she can gain entry. I'm guessing a 19-year-old isn't coming in with uber softs, and the numbers mean almost everything anyway. So, she should be drilling at this very moment targeting a 170+ for October to bring in the entire lower T14 and perhaps NYU.

Second, 20 months might be enough to get 5 out of the 6 semesters of law school covered...maybe even the whole gig. The VA calculates it by the day, and an entire school year ends up being just shy of 8 months I think. I know people who have had some eligibility, but not enough to cover the entire semester, yet the VA and school gave it to them anyway. So, it could be a case where 18.5 months are gone after 3L fall semester, and they basically let it ride for spring. Don't call that Plan A though.

I don't know how it's worked out for others in this situation, but it sounds eminently feasible to ask for all of the scholly money to be applied in 3L (after negotiating for enough to cover it) only in the case where GI Bill benefits run out.

Anyone with actual experience with this type of scholly shift, feel free to set the record straight!

Longsx3

Postby Longsx3 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:44 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
Longsx3 wrote:Opinions please: my daughter (19) is applying in the fall, she has a 3.5 and a first attempt LSAT of 167, she will have 20 months of 100% GI Bill remaining after her graduation from Bama. When negotiating scholarships do you think that it will be a possibility to get that last semester covered?

I'm guessing you transferred your GI Bill benefits to your daughter. Nice!

Is she just all about law school or something? To be 19 and have already taken the LSAT is pretty high speed. Well, I'll just quickly make a pitch for a couple years of work in between undergrad and law school. Sounds like she'll be at most 21 when she begins (if her birthday falls in July or August). There's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but I'm plenty older and have some good experiences that I wouldn't trade to have been a minted lawyer at age 23/24.

On to your question. First, if she's not signed up for the October test, have her do that now! Since you used the term "first attempt," I assume this is already the plan? With GI + YRP, she's only bound by where she can gain entry. I'm guessing a 19-year-old isn't coming in with uber softs, and the numbers mean almost everything anyway. So, she should be drilling at this very moment targeting a 170+ for October to bring in the entire lower T14 and perhaps NYU.

Second, 20 months might be enough to get 5 out of the 6 semesters of law school covered...maybe even the whole gig. The VA calculates it by the day, and an entire school year ends up being just shy of 8 months I think. I know people who have had some eligibility, but not enough to cover the entire semester, yet the VA and school gave it to them anyway. So, it could be a case where 18.5 months are gone after 3L fall semester, and they basically let it ride for spring. Don't call that Plan A though.

I don't know how it's worked out for others in this situation, but it sounds eminently feasible to ask for all of the scholly money to be applied in 3L (after negotiating for enough to cover it) only in the case where GI Bill benefits run out.

Anyone with actual experience with this type of scholly shift, feel free to set the record straight!

Thanks for the info! Yes my D is using my husband's transferred gi bill benefits and she does plan to retake in Oct.

She won't actually be 19 until August, so she will be 20 just prior to law school. We have discussed taking a a yr off after under grad but she has no desire to do so. She is comfortable with her age and honestly most would never guess how young she is except she doesn't go to bars, obviously. Socially she is very comfortable with 20 somethings.

It will be interesting to see how she can negotiate scholarships next Spring.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:52 pm

Guess what? They finally got off their asses and posted the Yellow Ribbon numbers for 2015-16 on the VA website:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/yello ... t_2015.asp

I'll have a link to an updated spreadsheet this weekend for all schools in the top 100-ish. Now that public schools are all covered/about to be, it's less work for me hunting down only the private schools!

For those that don't know, I keep up the color-coded Excel spreadsheet that lists the YRP contribution and BAH rates for each new school year and provides the effective tuition for 100% eligible vets.

BNA

Postby BNA » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:13 am

MT Cicero wrote:Guess what? They finally got off their asses and posted the Yellow Ribbon numbers for 2015-16 on the VA website:

I'll have a link to an updated spreadsheet this weekend for all schools in the top 100-ish. Now that public schools are all covered/about to be, it's less work for me hunting down only the private schools!

For those that don't know, I keep up the color-coded Excel spreadsheet that lists the YRP contribution and BAH rates for each new school year and provides the effective tuition for 100% eligible vets.

good man

navykev

Postby navykev » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:07 am

MT Cicero wrote:Guess what? They finally got off their asses and posted the Yellow Ribbon numbers for 2015-16 on the VA website:

Thanks for doing this for us brother - your spreadsheet helped me negotiate scholarship money from GULC. I sent them the link and said, "Come on - you guys are in DC and only Yale is less vet friendly" -- it worked even though I was ED and they already had me.
Last edited by navykev on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:08 am

navykev wrote:
carterjo wrote:I am looking for some input. I studied just under two months prior to taking the June LSAT (not enough). I scored a 159 mainly due to timing issues on the logics game section. I want to retake as I scored 163-165 on all 10 of the practice tests that I took; however, I am not available for the October and December LSAT and plan on applying this fall. I want to attend Notre Dame, WUSTL, UC Davis, or Northwestern (NW= my Hail Mary).

Stats:
-Active duty army CPT - 7 years as an aviator (AH-64D/E)
-1 year Acquisition experience (program management)
-Deployments to AFG
-3.81 GPA (LSAC calculated)
-Non URM

I am not concerned with scholarships as I have the GI bill (100%). I want to know if I have a shot at acceptance at the above four schools? Anybody on here applied to ND, WUSTL, UC Davis, or Northwestern with similar numbers? Am I being unrealistic with a 159?

Thanks,

I had a lower GPA, a 161 on the LSAT, am a white guy, was just a lowly enlisted man - and got into all 4 of your school choices - and a few others above them in the rankings. That being said - I'll state the obvious - the better the score - the better your chances and choices. I mean if you are willing to go to Northwestern - why not use the power of that 3.81, crush the LSAT and go to Chicago!

:shock:

navykev

Postby navykev » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:10 am

JazzyMac wrote: lowly enlisted man

;)

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:33 am

navykev wrote:
JazzyMac wrote: lowly enlisted man

;)

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:00 pm

UPDATED SPREADSHEET FOR 2015-16

Here it is: 2015-16 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

Of note:

--Public schools are on the right and really are just here for you to reference BAH. The new law will grant in-state tuition so the G.I. Bill will cover without Yellow Ribbon.

--The few schools that don't have a color fill for their tuition haven't posted yet. So, their tuition is last year's + 3 percent.

--I realize there are a couple schools that technically have a few dollars left over that are in the "free" area. I'm guessing these schools have their YRP set so that the match is 100%, and the tuition numbers I'm picking up from their website are close, but not perfectly precise.

--Make sure to keep an eye out for schools with a small number of slots (really...one slot Baylor?). Also, some of the slots are for the ENTIRE school system, not just the law school.

Any questions, let me know!

asics4381

Postby asics4381 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:51 am

Hey all!

It appears I will likely be getting out in the next year or two, and am eyeing a 2017 or 2018 law school start date. Heres my profile

-No LSAT yet (taking DEC 2015)
-3.5 Undergrad, 3.75 Masters,
- Army CPT,Aeromedical Evacuation Officer (UH-60 Pilot) ~8-9 years in when I get out
-AFG Deployment
-5 Years OCONUS duty stations
-Non URM

Due to my Wife's career, I am limited to only schools in the NYC area. The only two schools that interest me are Columbia and NYU.

My question to you all, is what do you think is the minimum LSAT I would need, with my military softs, to be accepted to these two? Obviously I am aiming for as high as possible, but I am curious as to what you all think.
Last edited by asics4381 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:09 am

Median score (170 NYU, 173? Columbia) will help enormously. You can probably sell anything in the 160s, but it will be an uphill battle, especially with a below-median GPA.

asics4381

Postby asics4381 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:24 am

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Do any of you recommend any of the online tutoring programs? (Manhatten, blueprint, 7Sage, etc). I have a copy of nearly every practice LSAT, and the LG/LR Powerscore bibles, but was wondering if any of these online programs are worth the money.

I'm OCONUS so classroom tutoring is not feasible.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:40 am

asics4381 wrote:Pretty much what I was thinking.

Do any of you recommend any of the online tutoring programs? (Manhatten, blueprint, 7Sage, etc). I have a copy of nearly every practice LSAT, and the LG/LR Powerscore bibles, but was wondering if any of these online programs are worth the money.

I'm OCONUS so classroom tutoring is not feasible.

Since you're targeting December, you have plenty of time to drill your way to an excellent score. This assumes your diagnostic isn't something really low, but I'm guessing since you're targeting Columbia/NYU, you realistically expect a high score and wouldn't put a diagnostic 145 on the table. So, if you could score a mid-to-high 150s right now cold, I don't think you'd need tutoring.

I just followed Pithypike's guide on this site, except I used the Manhattan books instead of Power Score. I had much less time than you to prepare, but I did well. I think working your way through the books WHILE constantly drilling and reviewing is the way forward. Maybe take two PTs a month until you're 3 months out, then go to 1 a week. That mainly fills the gratification of seeing scores, but the drilling is where you'll make your money.

Some people really dig tutoring. It helps them feel like they're "getting it." But many times it's just to avoid what they might feel is aimlessness in their processes. If you trust in the fact that 3 hours a day of drilling with a good review (along with working through books) will help you get much much better, you'll be fine.

asics4381

Postby asics4381 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:07 pm

I took my first diagnostic today (4 sections, timed) and got a 155. I absolutely bombed the logic games, with only 6 right, due to very bad diagraming. I think i'll take a look at PithyPikes guide and see what it does for me.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:24 pm

asics4381 wrote:I took my first diagnostic today (4 sections, timed) and got a 155. I absolutely bombed the logic games, with only 6 right, due to very bad diagraming. I think i'll take a look at PithyPikes guide and see what it does for me.

That is a good place to start. Logic games are totally learnable, and are the most alien at first. Formal logic is harder to learn (it's mostly new vocabulary). RC, by far, the hardest to learn, because their aren't a lot of shortcuts.

In PFT Terms:

Logic Games-> Pullups: Worth a lot of points each, not really applicable to real life (you've probably never done more than one in a row unless you were intentionally working out), learnable in plateaus, and mostly a matter of proper form.

Formal Logic-> 3 mile run. It sucks, but if you keep doing it, time will fall off and you will pick up a few points. There a few tricks, but mostly its a matter of massive repetition

RC->Crunches, if you can't do it, you might want to consider a new career field.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:17 pm

Forgot I was OP. Tell me if anyone has anything they want to add to the the top posting.

BNA

Postby BNA » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:34 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
asics4381 wrote:I took my first diagnostic today (4 sections, timed) and got a 155. I absolutely bombed the logic games, with only 6 right, due to very bad diagraming. I think i'll take a look at PithyPikes guide and see what it does for me.

That is a good place to start. Logic games are totally learnable, and are the most alien at first. Formal logic is harder to learn (it's mostly new vocabulary). RC, by far, the hardest to learn, because their aren't a lot of shortcuts.

In PFT Terms:

Logic Games-> Pullups: Worth a lot of points each, not really applicable to real life (you've probably never done more than one in a row unless you were intentionally working out), learnable in plateaus, and mostly a matter of proper form.

Formal Logic-> 3 mile run. It sucks, but if you keep doing it, time will fall off and you will pick up a few points. There a few tricks, but mostly its a matter of massive repetition

RC->Crunches, if you can't do it, you might want to consider a new career field.

I like this

Billy Madison

Postby Billy Madison » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:55 am

MT Cicero wrote:UPDATED SPREADSHEET FOR 2015-16

Of note:

--Public schools are on the right and really are just here for you to reference BAH. The new law will grant in-state tuition so the G.I. Bill will cover without Yellow Ribbon.

--The few schools that don't have a color fill for their tuition haven't posted yet. So, their tuition is last year's + 3 percent.

--I realize there are a couple schools that technically have a few dollars left over that are in the "free" area. I'm guessing these schools have their YRP set so that the match is 100%, and the tuition numbers I'm picking up from their website are close, but not perfectly precise.

--Make sure to keep an eye out for schools with a small number of slots (really...one slot Baylor?). Also, some of the slots are for the ENTIRE school system, not just the law school.

I don't know about all of the numbers, but I go to Ohio State and the BAH is $1227. I recently got a letter from the VA stating that our BAH wasn't changing this year. Not trying to nitpick and maybe something happened that I wasn't aware of, but for anyone considering OSU, I'm pretty sure our BAH is a little higher than the list indicates. Very useful post though!

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:04 am

gunton224 wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:UPDATED SPREADSHEET FOR 2015-16

Of note:

I don't know about all of the numbers, but I go to Ohio State and the BAH is $1227. I recently got a letter from the VA stating that our BAH wasn't changing this year. Not trying to nitpick and maybe something happened that I wasn't aware of, but for anyone considering OSU, I'm pretty sure our BAH is a little higher than the list indicates. Very useful post though!

Yeah, BAH went down for this zip code. But, like in the military, you're grandfathered in to the higher amount if you've already attended.

Since the spreadsheet is mainly for applicants, they should grab the lower rate if this is their first year attending.

EDIT: Something weird about NU...my letter has my BAH for this upcoming school year at $15 or so higher than the new BAH amount. I have no idea why, but I'll take it!

Billy Madison

Postby Billy Madison » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Wow, that's crazy! Glad my wife and I were able to start when we did. I'm surprised how much they reduced it...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”