Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mdubs314

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby mdubs314 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:55 am

mdubs314 wrote:
bberry32 wrote:Thank you everyone for the help. I didnt realize I could even consider places like NU, Chicago, or a NY school. Since my GI Bill will run out after 3 semesters, that means YRP will too. Do yall know of any scholarships specifically for vets, like the Tillman?

deleted. I accidentally double posted.

hokie6260

South Carolina Law

Postby hokie6260 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:25 pm

Are any of my fellow vets here at South Carolina, been accepted, or have any interest? I am going to apply next cycle and just wondered how where my chances stand and how veterans typically do during admissions cycle..

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Lost two battle buddies to PTSD in the last few weeks. Take care of yourselves and each other.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:03 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Lost two battle buddies to PTSD in the last few weeks. Take care of yourselves and each other.

Sorry to hear

Get involved in some good groups and encourage every vet you meet to go to the VA and get signed up. So many vets don't even get that annual physical and flu shot checkup. Just getting them out and around others can encourage them to talk on the bad days. I'm not saying you have to join a group that picks up homeless vets and physically drives to the the nearest VAMC. -- once you do it will change your mind and heart -- just encourage your vet neighbors from any era of service. Strength in numbers

Your willingly to share this sad news here is s big step. Thank you for sharing. It can only encourage others to follow the path you make wider for them.

Leave no one behind shipmate. Stay strong.
Last edited by storpappa on Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navykev

Postby navykev » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:29 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Lost two battle buddies to PTSD in the last few weeks. Take care of yourselves and each other.

Damn - sorry to hear that.

qocu

Postby qocu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi all,
I really want to serve and am planning on applying to OCS for USMC. (I am a female btw.) I would also like to have a legal career later on. Until recently, the JAG program was not taking any applicants, so my goal was to try to do intelligence and then go to law school after, using the post 9/11 GI bill to pay for it. However, my OSO told me that the JAG program is opening back up.

My questions are:
- Which would be more fulfilling/challenging/rewarding/would contribute more: intelligence or JAG?
- Where are USMC JAGs (and/or Intel) typically stationed? For intelligence or USMC in general, I'd likely be in Southern California, Virginia, the Carolinas, Hawaii, or Japan, to my understanding.
- I know that serving before law school would be a "soft" plus to admissions committees, but would letting them know that I intend to do JAG also be a plus? Is it even worth mentioning?
- My OSO said that I can get some financial assistance for law school if I do JAG, but I know that as I won't be a veteran, it wouldn't be at yellow ribbon or GI bill levels. Does anyone know how this works and how much it would be?
- I have my mind set on USMC and have been going to candidate pool events and leaning the history of the Corps, so I will most likely stick with USMC, but are there lots of advantages of doing JAG in another branch instead?
Thanks in advance - much appreciated

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:29 pm

qocu wrote:- Which would be more fulfilling/challenging/rewarding/would contribute more: intelligence or JAG?

As an intel in law school: intel. But to each his own.

qocu wrote:- My OSO said that I can get some financial assistance for law school if I do JAG, but I know that as I won't be a veteran, it wouldn't be at yellow ribbon or GI bill levels. Does anyone know how this works and how much it would be?
- I have my mind set on USMC and have been going to candidate pool events and leaning the history of the Corps, so I will most likely stick with USMC, but are there lots of advantages of doing JAG in another branch instead?

I know someone in the Coast Guard who is going to law school on JAG. They paid all of her tuition and are paying her active duty pay (complete with BAH/BAS) while she attends law school. But I have no idea how she did that.

Bear in mind though that some law schools will do the opposite of the yellow ribbon program for anything other than 100% 9/11 GI. i.e., your need-based financial aid award may be reduced to offset any military benefits.

Billy Madison

Postby Billy Madison » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:33 pm

I am graduating from THE Ohio State University in December with a BA in PoliSci. I spent 4 years in the USMC as an MP and was medically retired as a sergeant. No combat, spent entire enlistment in Oki. I had 3 years of college before enlisting and was mostly a party animal, resulting in a 2.02 GPA. Summer is my second semester back and I've yet to get less than an A and therefore made the Dean's list last semester. I took two PR practice LSATs and got a 158 and 159 with no prep. Planning to take the real deal in Oct. If I ace the rest of my classes, I'm looking at a cumulative GPA of 3.05. What are my prospects, folks? I'm reasonably sure I can get a 160-165 in OCT, but don't think 165-170 is out of reach (a guy can dream). I think with my GPA and a 160, I'd have a decent shot at OSU (#35) or Cincy (#50?). Case Western Reserve (private) is the only other school in OH that ranks top 100, what would I be looking at out of state? Schools with rankings like Akron, Cleveland State, and Capital kinda scare me with nicknames like "Crapital". I've combed through the admissions data, but nothing can account for the drastic change in my academic performance nor give me a good idea of the boost one might get from an honorable tour. I've seen people on here looking at t14 schools with LSAT a few points above me, but what can I reasonable hope for with 160/3.05?

Thanks all!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:55 pm

gunton224 wrote:I am graduating from THE Ohio State University in December with a BA in PoliSci. I spent 4 years in the USMC as an MP and was medically retired as a sergeant. No combat, spent entire enlistment in Oki. I had 3 years of college before enlisting and was mostly a party animal, resulting in a 2.02 GPA. Summer is my second semester back and I've yet to get less than an A and therefore made the Dean's list last semester. I took two PR practice LSATs and got a 158 and 159 with no prep. Planning to take the real deal in Oct. If I ace the rest of my classes, I'm looking at a cumulative GPA of 3.05. What are my prospects, folks? I'm reasonably sure I can get a 160-165 in OCT, but don't think 165-170 is out of reach (a guy can dream). I think with my GPA and a 160, I'd have a decent shot at OSU (#35) or Cincy (#50?). Case Western Reserve (private) is the only other school in OH that ranks top 100, what would I be looking at out of state? Schools with rankings like Akron, Cleveland State, and Capital kinda scare me with nicknames like "Crapital". I've combed through the admissions data, but nothing can account for the drastic change in my academic performance nor give me a good idea of the boost one might get from an honorable tour. I've seen people on here looking at t14 schools with LSAT a few points above me, but what can I reasonable hope for with 160/3.05?

Thanks all!

Don't take the LSAT to get a 160. Be consistently scoring around 170 on PTs when you take it or afterwards the best answer will just be "retake."

The increase in GPA matters as a soft, but the reason there's not a lot of data on it is because they still have to report that 3.05 to USNWR, which would lower the median at whatever school you go to. Your best hope is to be a splitter, but the 3.05 will probably keep you out of the T14. GL.

Grunt2Grad

Postby Grunt2Grad » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:56 pm

If somehow I was able to swing getting approved to pick up a joint degree (MBA) through the Voc Rehab program would it be worth pursuing?

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:04 pm

Grunt2Grad wrote:If somehow I was able to swing getting approved to pick up a joint degree (MBA) through the Voc Rehab program would it be worth pursuing?

If its free and they are giving you BAH, I would say take it unless you are in a rush to get to work (i.e. have a family to support)

qocu

Postby qocu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:01 am

TripTrip wrote:
qocu wrote:- Which would be more fulfilling/challenging/rewarding/would contribute more: intelligence or JAG?

qocu wrote:- My OSO said that I can get some financial assistance for law school if I do JAG, but I know that as I won't be a veteran, it wouldn't be at yellow ribbon or GI bill levels. Does anyone know how this works and how much it would be?

I know someone in the Coast Guard who is going to law school on JAG. They paid all of her tuition and are paying her active duty pay (complete with BAH/BAS) while she attends law school. But I have no idea how she did that.

Bear in mind though that some law schools will do the opposite of the yellow ribbon program for anything other than 100% 9/11 GI. i.e., your need-based financial aid award may be reduced to offset any military benefits.

Thanks for your response! Your friend's arrangement isn't typical for the Coast Guard? Do you know what the typical financial assistance for law school is?

usn26

Postby usn26 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 am

qocu wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Thanks for your response! Your friend's arrangement isn't typical for the Coast Guard? Do you know what the typical financial assistance for law school is?

All services have a variety of options for getting a law degree. The Coast Guard sent my uncle to Cornell and paid for everything while giving him his active duty pay. Every service has an equivalent, but they function in different ways. The Navy prefers to pay in full for top schools, whereas I believe the Army limits you to in-state tuition, or something like that.

You can also separate from the service and then go on the GI bill, which with the Yellow Ribbon Program will usually pay for everything, but then you'd have to reapply to the service/JAG.

Many (all?) services have an excess leave program, where you get time off from school, maintain active duty status, are essentially assured of becoming a JAG after law school, but don't get paid, and don't get to use your education benefits/GI Bill (so getting scholarships is important).

I think the new career intermission program could work for this as well, but I'm not too familiar with that program.

Malta

FLEP

Postby Malta » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:14 am

Don't know if Army still does FLEP (Funded Legal Education Program). You would need to already be an Army officer for about 2-4 x years.

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/Sites/jaro ... 2D00513A2B

Pacman

Postby Pacman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:29 am

The Army still does FLEP, I have a few friends that just got picked up for it. It's pretty competitive so not necessarily a guaranteed outcome, but it can be done.

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Hello everyone. I have a question about the military bump at Stanford.

My GPA is 3.72, which is low for SLS, but my LSAT is 176, which is high. Mylsn.info puts me at pretty long odds for Stanford, but I don't know how much they like military service.

Does anyone have any experience with SLS? Is there a significant military bump?

Thanks.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:19 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Hello everyone. I have a question about the military bump at Stanford.

My GPA is 3.72, which is low for SLS, but my LSAT is 176, which is high. Mylsn.info puts me at pretty long odds for Stanford, but I don't know how much they like military service.

Does anyone have any experience with SLS? Is there a significant military bump?

Thanks.

It's worth a shot, but it's not an auto bump. They rejected me: 4.0/175/Army.

uscmas412

Postby uscmas412 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:27 am

I'm currently an AD Air Force O-3 with 7.5 years experience and I'm considering a career change. I served as a 12MB for three years and I'm currently doing the 12S gig. I have multiple deployments, air medals and a few #1 or top 10% strats (a generally favorable record).

I took the LSAT and did poorly (152) in 2007 due to not studying, however I plan to re-test within the year. How do most schools approach LSAT scores that are almost a decade apart? I remember from my younger days that it was school dependent, but I'm not sure if much has changed. Secondly, what is a realistic window of improvement if someone is dedicated to LSAT prep? Is a 13-18 point improvement outrageous?

Finally, giving up a comfortable and generous salary to be a poor student again while I have a family to support represents a serious financial risk. What is the viability of starting income from schools ranked in the lower T1-upper T2 area? Ideally I would need a starting salary in the low $100's. Thanks for the help!

Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (USC-Columbia)
Degree: Political Science
Grad GPA: 3.6 (MBA done online- Tex A&M Commerce)
LSAT: 152 (taken in 2007)

usn26

Postby usn26 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:36 am

uscmas412 wrote:I took the LSAT and did poorly (152) in 2007 due to not studying, however I plan to re-test within the year. How do most schools approach LSAT scores that are almost a decade apart? I remember from my younger days that it was school dependent, but I'm not sure if much has changed. Secondly, what is a realistic window of improvement if someone is dedicated to LSAT prep? Is a 13-18 point improvement outrageous?

I don't think schools will even see that score, but if they do they won't give it weight since it will have been expired for several years. For your latter question, check out the LSAT forum. Such improvements are not unheard of, particularly from smart people willing to work hard over the course of several (6-12) months after a poor first effort with minimal prep.

uscmas412 wrote:Finally, giving up a comfortable and generous salary to be a poor student again while I have a family to support represents a serious financial risk. What is the viability of starting income from schools ranked in the lower T1-upper T2 area? Ideally I would need a starting salary in the low $100's. Thanks for the help!

Viability is low, especially if your key word is "starting." Legal salary distributions are bimodal, with large firm salaries usually starting at 160k, or 120-145 in smaller markets, while the vast majority of other legal jobs have starting salaries that are much lower - something more like 30k (cash-poor public interest gigs) to 65k (government). Very few jobs exist in the middle.

The best place to get salary data would be LawSchoolTransparency.com. There you can see what jobs people are actually getting out of whatever law schools you might consider. Even at top schools, the number of people who get jobs in the salary range you want out side of big firm jobs is negligible. You can see that in the salaries section here. It's all or nothing.

Which is all a long way of saying that if you want to go to law school you'd either have to be comfortable making much less than 100k, go to a school that gives you a good shot at a large firm, or - preferably - both. Virtually any T1/T2 will stack the odds against you significantly, so if you (a) really want to go to law school, and (b) are firm on that salary requirement, you really need to do well enough on your LSAT that you can have a shot at a top school.

Smantz

Postby Smantz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:06 pm

Has anybody taken the LSAT at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait? I know people who have taken the LSAT on deployment, but in other locales.

If so, please share how the testing experience went and any other advice you feel is pertinent. I'm not necessarily in a rush, so if you recommend waiting until this tour is up no problem.

I assume it will be the same as any other overseas LSAT: no IRR, score breakdown, etc.

If you have taken an LSAT through a combat theater education center, some info on that would be cool too.

carterjo

Postby carterjo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:50 pm

Last edited by carterjo on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navykev

Postby navykev » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:18 pm

carterjo wrote:I am looking for some input. I studied just under two months prior to taking the June LSAT (not enough). I scored a 159 mainly due to timing issues on the logics game section. I want to retake as I scored 163-165 on all 10 of the practice tests that I took; however, I am not available for the October and December LSAT and plan on applying this fall. I want to attend Notre Dame, WUSTL, UC Davis, or Northwestern (NW= my Hail Mary).

Stats:
-Active duty army CPT - 7 years as an aviator (AH-64D/E)
-1 year Acquisition experience (program management)
-Deployments to AFG
-3.81 GPA (LSAC calculated)
-Non URM

I am not concerned with scholarships as I have the GI bill (100%). I want to know if I have a shot at acceptance at the above four schools? Anybody on here applied to ND, WUSTL, UC Davis, or Northwestern with similar numbers? Am I being unrealistic with a 159?

Thanks,

I had a lower GPA, a 161 on the LSAT, am a white guy, was just a lowly enlisted man - and got into all 4 of your school choices - and a few others above them in the rankings. That being said - I'll state the obvious - the better the score - the better your chances and choices. I mean if you are willing to go to Northwestern - why not use the power of that 3.81, crush the LSAT and go to Chicago!

carterjo

Postby carterjo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:26 pm

navykev wrote:
carterjo wrote:I am looking for some input. I studied just under two months prior to taking the June LSAT (not enough). I scored a 159 mainly due to timing issues on the logics game section. I want to retake as I scored 163-165 on all 10 of the practice tests that I took; however, I am not available for the October and December LSAT and plan on applying this fall. I want to attend Notre Dame, WUSTL, UC Davis, or Northwestern (NW= my Hail Mary).

Stats:
-Active duty army CPT - 7 years as an aviator (AH-64D/E)
-1 year Acquisition experience (program management)
-Deployments to AFG
-3.81 GPA (LSAC calculated)
-Non URM

I am not concerned with scholarships as I have the GI bill (100%). I want to know if I have a shot at acceptance at the above four schools? Anybody on here applied to ND, WUSTL, UC Davis, or Northwestern with similar numbers? Am I being unrealistic with a 159?

Thanks,

I had a lower GPA, a 161 on the LSAT, am a white guy, was just a lowly enlisted man - and got into all 4 of your school choices - and a few others above them in the rankings. That being said - I'll state the obvious - the better the score - the better your chances and choices. I mean if you are willing to go to Northwestern - why not use the power of that 3.81, crush the LSAT and go to Chicago!

I would retake; however, I have work requirements that preclude me from taking both the October and December LSATs. I am glad to hear that you were accepted into good schools with similar numbers. Thanks,

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:43 pm

carterjo wrote:I am not concerned with scholarships as I have the GI bill (100%).

100% of the post-9/11 GI bill covers less than half of tuition at the schools you named. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss scholarships, otherwise make sure you can get the yellow ribbon program.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:04 pm

TripTrip wrote:
carterjo wrote:I am not concerned with scholarships as I have the GI bill (100%).

100% of the post-9/11 GI bill covers less than half of tuition at the schools you named. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss scholarships, otherwise make sure you can get the yellow ribbon program.

Reminder, GI bill pays for 100 percent of tuition to all public law schools, including the UCs, UVa, UT, and Mich

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”