Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby bjsesq » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:06 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:I was a Reserve officer and had a civilian career. It was mildly inconvenient and annoying at times but doable. A lot depends on how far away your unit is and how understanding your boss is if you need to RST.

Wait, you were a goddamn officer?

User avatar
DrSpaceman
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby DrSpaceman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Last year I was obsessively searching through these threads for some kind of idea what a "military boost" actually looks like, and now I figure I'll throw my experience up here for posterity.

I was accepted to every school that mylsn predicted I had a decent (40% or so) shot at, and none that were statistical long shots.

Scholarship season, however, was where I feel I significantly outperformed the norm, to the tune of at least 2-3 LSAT points. Can't say to what extent other factors played into that.

I hope that helps generations of future 0L (prior enlisted) vets.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby bjsesq » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:10 pm

DrSpaceman wrote:Last year I was obsessively searching through these threads for some kind of idea what a "military boost" actually looks like, and now I figure I'll throw my experience up here for posterity.

I was accepted to every school that mylsn predicted I had a decent (40% or so) shot at, and none that were statistical long shots.

Scholarship season, however, was where I feel I significantly outperformed the norm, to the tune of at least 2-3 LSAT points. Can't say to what extent other factors played into that.

I hope that helps generations of future 0L (prior enlisted) vets.

Exactly the same as my experience. No difference in getting admittance, noticeable difference in aid.

User avatar
RandomDude
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby RandomDude » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:22 pm

+1 to all the above. Got some scholarship offers that were unusual for my numbers, but for acceptances I did as expected.

hokie6260
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby hokie6260 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:
DrSpaceman wrote:Last year I was obsessively searching through these threads for some kind of idea what a "military boost" actually looks like, and now I figure I'll throw my experience up here for posterity.

I was accepted to every school that mylsn predicted I had a decent (40% or so) shot at, and none that were statistical long shots.

Scholarship season, however, was where I feel I significantly outperformed the norm, to the tune of at least 2-3 LSAT points. Can't say to what extent other factors played into that.

I hope that helps generations of future 0L (prior enlisted) vets.

Exactly the same as my experience. No difference in getting admittance, noticeable difference in aid.


That is music to my ears! I will be applying next cycle with a semi-reach school as my number 1 pick. 40% and still got accepted says a lot for the infamous veterans bump.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Cobretti » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:44 pm

hokie6260 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
DrSpaceman wrote:Last year I was obsessively searching through these threads for some kind of idea what a "military boost" actually looks like, and now I figure I'll throw my experience up here for posterity.

I was accepted to every school that mylsn predicted I had a decent (40% or so) shot at, and none that were statistical long shots.

Scholarship season, however, was where I feel I significantly outperformed the norm, to the tune of at least 2-3 LSAT points. Can't say to what extent other factors played into that.

I hope that helps generations of future 0L (prior enlisted) vets.

Exactly the same as my experience. No difference in getting admittance, noticeable difference in aid.


That is music to my ears! I will be applying next cycle with a semi-reach school as my number 1 pick. 40% and still got accepted says a lot for the infamous veterans bump.

The point is its not a bump, you tend to perform exactly how your numbers would be projected to perform. I had the exact same experience as bjs and drspaceman FWIW. However, I will caveat it with saying I think there might still be a real bump for officers (bastards).

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby MT Cicero » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Cobretti wrote:The point is its not a bump, you tend to perform exactly how your numbers would be projected to perform. I had the exact same experience as bjs and drspaceman FWIW. However, I will caveat it with saying I think there might still be a real bump for officers (bastards).


Yeah, I might've gotten a bit of a bump in acceptances. Maybe the officer gig was it. Maybe it was because my military job was one that a civilian might see as pretty unique. Maybe I was just on the margins and got in for other reasons.

I was a big splitter, significantly below a 3.0 though, and got in at the following before Christmas without a WL (with MyLSN % chances after taking myself out):

NU (41% - not surprising)
GU (33% - not really surprising)
UCLA (10% - kind of surprising since they don't tend to dip very low for GPA)

Also, I'm the only one on LSN to get WL'd anywhere near my GPA in the last 4 years (instead of outright dinged) at Chicago and NYU. I was content with my acceptances and didn't put on any kind of full-court press to get in, but I still feel I would've likely been a ding. So, maybe/maybe not.

All in all, perhaps a tiny bump. But nothing amazing. Could've just been schools seeing the writing on the wall w/r/t app declines that caused them to dip. Comparing my cycle to bjs would be kind of crazy, as I got in during a pretty good low point in apps and many others benefitted alongside me. So, going back a few years on MyLSN probably paints a more bleak picture than chances in 2014-15 and the upcoming cycle.

User avatar
jerrycallo
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:16 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby jerrycallo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:31 pm

.
Last edited by jerrycallo on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4142
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:34 pm

bjsesq wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I was a Reserve officer and had a civilian career. It was mildly inconvenient and annoying at times but doable. A lot depends on how far away your unit is and how understanding your boss is if you need to RST.

Wait, you were a goddamn officer?


You didn't think I got a bsm by doing something noteworthy, did you?

Pacman
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Pacman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Hey just a heads up to anyone still studying for the LSAT, especially if you're using any online services (e.g. 7sage, Velocity, etc.). In a bizarre effort to combat piracy, LSAC basically outlawed PDFs of LSAT materials a month or two ago and so if you are utilizing anything that offers you access to PDFs of real preptests or drills then once that company's licensing contract expires, all of that will go away. I know for 7sage this will be happening in a couple of weeks, while it has already happened for others. I'm just glad I saw the notification this morning so I can download everything I have access to before the cutoff date. If you were considering any programs like this then I'd do your research as to whether they still have PDF access or not and strike while the iron is hot and get those PDFs now. This won't affect hard copies or anything else it seems, they just really don't want PDFs floating around even though they already are and I think this will only make that problem worse.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:15 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I was a Reserve officer and had a civilian career. It was mildly inconvenient and annoying at times but doable. A lot depends on how far away your unit is and how understanding your boss is if you need to RST.

Wait, you were a goddamn officer?


You didn't think I got a bsm by doing something noteworthy, did you?

I feel so betrayed. WELL PLAYED, SIR

Wipfelder
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Wipfelder » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:19 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I was a Reserve officer and had a civilian career. It was mildly inconvenient and annoying at times but doable. A lot depends on how far away your unit is and how understanding your boss is if you need to RST.

Wait, you were a goddamn officer?


You didn't think I got a bsm by doing something noteworthy, did you?


Think of all those NCOs you mentored and guided. That has to count for something, where would they be today without you?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I was a Reserve officer and had a civilian career. It was mildly inconvenient and annoying at times but doable. A lot depends on how far away your unit is and how understanding your boss is if you need to RST.

Wait, you were a goddamn officer?


You didn't think I got a bsm by doing something noteworthy, did you?


Think of all those NCOs you mentored and guided. That has to count for something, where would they be today without you?

BNCOC

Wipfelder
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Wipfelder » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:22 pm

[/quote]
BNCOC[/quote]

Dating yourself old man. That's sooooo 2008, two thousand and late

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:29 pm

... I hate you

Wipfelder
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Wipfelder » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:44 pm

bjsesq wrote:... I hate you


Grandpa, what was it like to polish your boots?

Whats starch?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Oh yeah, you fucks don't have to starch uniforms anymore because of the ACU's, right? I think that's actually pretty sweet and wish things had been that way before.

User avatar
seizmaar
Posts: 759
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby seizmaar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:25 pm

the fetishism of making a combat uniform as stract-ified as possible always made me smirk, when i wasn't being actively yelled at for it. honestly, do we really think shiny black boots is an asset in the backwoods of fucking vietnam?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby bjsesq » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:30 pm

seizmaar wrote:the fetishism of making a combat uniform as stract-ified as possible always made me smirk, when i wasn't being actively yelled at for it. honestly, do we really think shiny black boots is an asset in the backwoods of fucking vietnam?

Bat didn't worry about that shit, only when we went outside the fence. I agree wholeheartedly with your point and think it was just dumbfucks finding something to bitch at soldiers about.

User avatar
storpappa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby storpappa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:40 pm

Extra starch when on laundry duty and military creases to your favorite snipes. You know, because they are your shipmates.

User avatar
FairchildFLT
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:48 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Are there any Air Force JAGs in here?

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4142
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:32 pm

bjsesq wrote:Oh yeah, you fucks don't have to starch uniforms anymore because of the ACU's, right? I think that's actually pretty sweet and wish things had been that way before.


That fucking Velcro though

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:20 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Oh yeah, you fucks don't have to starch uniforms anymore because of the ACU's, right? I think that's actually pretty sweet and wish things had been that way before.


That fucking Velcro though

I had six months of experience with the ACUs, and all I can say: they breath better and are easier to care for. I liked them.

Wipfelder
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:43 am

Big news guys, they figured out how to make buttons and button holes.

ACU's are on their way out now too. its OCP (Multicam) with buttons. Good thing we only spent two billion dollars on ACU stuff.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:21 am

storpappa wrote:Extra starch when on laundry duty and military creases to your favorite snipes. You know, because they are your shipmates.



Fucking shitbag, new corps, stress-card having pussies are so busy with garrison bullshit like 13 years of continuous war that you never learned how to shine shoes, starch uniform, and sew patches. The OLD CORPS would chew you up and spit you out!1!1!! You wouldn't survive one minute on a peacetime stop at a Philippines strip club, do you even shore leave, bro?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Giro423, towel13661 and 10 guests