Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
navykev

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby navykev » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Grunt2Grad wrote:Am I mistaken in thinking Voc Rehab covers 100% tuition or do the same YRP numbers come into play for both Voc Rehab and Post 9-11/GI Bill?

Voc Rehab pays up to 100% but I am not sure what determines that percentage. YRP can only be used by service members with 100% eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I am sure there is someone using VocRehab on here that can chime in --but from everything I have seen 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill with YRP is the better deal if you qualify for it.

Grunt2Grad

Postby Grunt2Grad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:03 pm

I am using Voc Rehab but I haven't started school yet so not sure how the payments will work. I know since I had 100% GI Bill eligibility (with at least a day of remaining benefits) i kept the BAH from the post 9-11. Unless I am missing something it seems if you can lock in the BAH with 100% tuition covered Voc Rehab seems to be the way to go but like you said, maybe someone actually using the benefit at the moment could chime in.

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:35 pm

I used voc-rehab my senior year of undergrad and deployed with some guys who used it for LS, as is my plan. It covers 100% and you get the full BAH (E5 with dependents) for the school location. You also get stuff covered towards your job goal... for example bar prep classes, books, etc. This worked out excellent for me as a reservist with 1 deployment because I only rated the GI bill at 60%. I should be finalizing my law school plan with the school I got into and want to attend with my councilor next week.

Mike

Grunt2Grad

Postby Grunt2Grad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:57 pm

Another day of radio silence. Still only been about a month but would have liked to hear something, anything, at this point.

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Radio silence from the VA or from schools?

Mike

Grunt2Grad

Postby Grunt2Grad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:08 pm

mike0331 wrote:Radio silence from the VA or from schools?

Mike

From schools. I am already set with the VA. I am already in the Voc Rehab program, they set me up with my current internship so they will just change my IWRP once I actually get accepted and choose a school.

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:15 pm

I think the vet status definitely helped with my application. I got in in the first round for a lot of schools I was told according to the little calculators people post all over this site would be a shot in the dark.... Still waiting to hear back from a reach, but still will probably take location over national reputation for family reasons.

Mike

Grunt2Grad

Postby Grunt2Grad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:18 pm

mike0331 wrote:I think the vet status definitely helped with my application. I got in in the first round for a lot of schools I was told according to the little calculators people post all over this site would be a shot in the dark.... Still waiting to hear back from a reach, but still will probably take location over national reputation for family reasons.

Mike

I just applied in the beginning of Jan. so it is not the end of the world that I have not heard anything but it feels like an eternity. Especially because every school applied to is a reach school. I just figured I would shoot for the moon and if it doesnt work out I will follow the conventional retest/reapply.

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:36 pm

How much of a reach? I applied as a splitter pretty much everywhere and was in right away... one super-reach, that shouldn't have been due to my dropping the ball on the LSAT, and that is the only one I haven't heard back from. Also applied early January.

Mike

Grunt2Grad

Postby Grunt2Grad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:39 pm

mike0331 wrote:How much of a reach? I applied as a splitter pretty much everywhere and was in right away... one super-reach, that shouldn't have been due to my dropping the ball on the LSAT, and that is the only one I haven't heard back from. Also applied early January.

Mike

Like Im trying to grab a star kind of reach haha

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Is there any reason you didn't also apply to other schools?

Mike

Grunt2Grad

Postby Grunt2Grad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:00 pm

mike0331 wrote:Is there any reason you didn't also apply to other schools?

Mike

I basically decided that since I was approved for Voc Rehab I have an amazing opportunity to go to any school I can get into with 0 debt; so, I drew a line in the sand at a certain ranking and decided that if I could not get at least that school then I would retest and reapply. I do not want to miss an entire year (especially since I have a family that is basically in a holding pattern waiting to see what happens next) but I also did not want to sell myself short.

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:07 pm

I hear you, I did the same. I still "applied to safeties" although I decided I would not attend if I didn't get into my goal schools.

Mike

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:23 am

Hilton has a program for vets seeking jobs to stay a night for free

Something to look into on those ASW trips, after all you are going to school to get back to work. Limited spots, so if your interested, in can stretch your budget on those trips

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:25 am

mike0331 wrote:I hear you, I did the same. I still "applied to safeties" although I decided I would not attend if I didn't get into my goal schools.

Mike

My target came in right away, which means I don't cancel on the safety apps because each of those $28 is going to get me some bumper stickers to put on my wall somewhere or use as a bookmark. Had I waited on the safety apps even 2 weeks, I could have save a few bucks, but who would have known

ArcticDeckie

Postby ArcticDeckie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:24 am

I just got put on the 'preferred' WL at GULC, so looks like it's LOCI time. I have some good work experience to update them with, but I'm also considering attaching the citation for a medal I received after GULC had already dinged me last year. The medal occupies a line on the resume I submitted with my application, and the citation overlaps with some of the points on my resume as well, but should I send it anyway? It certainly has more effect than a couple resume points, but I also don't want to barrage the admissions office with information.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:26 am

ArcticDeckie wrote:I just got put on the 'preferred' WL at GULC, so looks like it's LOCI time. I have some good work experience to update them with, but I'm also considering attaching the citation for a medal I received after GULC had already dinged me last year. The medal occupies a line on the resume I submitted with my application, and the citation overlaps with some of the points on my resume as well, but should I send it anyway? It certainly has more effect than a couple resume points, but I also don't want to barrage the admissions office with information.

Send it. Also: I'm assuming you'll get financial assistance w/ the GI Bill at GULC, right?

navykev

Postby navykev » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:36 am

bjsesq wrote:Send it. Also: I'm assuming you'll get financial assistance w/ the GI Bill at GULC, right?

+1 - it can't hurt.

ArcticDeckie

Postby ArcticDeckie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 am

bjsesq wrote:
ArcticDeckie wrote:I just got put on the 'preferred' WL at GULC, so looks like it's LOCI time. I have some good work experience to update them with, but I'm also considering attaching the citation for a medal I received after GULC had already dinged me last year. The medal occupies a line on the resume I submitted with my application, and the citation overlaps with some of the points on my resume as well, but should I send it anyway? It certainly has more effect than a couple resume points, but I also don't want to barrage the admissions office with information.

Send it. Also: I'm assuming you'll get financial assistance w/ the GI Bill at GULC, right?

Thanks, and yes, I'm 100% GI Bill eligible. I know GULC has a bit of a gap between their YRP contribution and their tuition, but it's nothing I couldn't deal with. Anyway, I need to try to get admitted first, no easy task with a GPA ~25% and an LSAT a point below last year's median.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:43 am

ArcticDeckie wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Thanks, and yes, I'm 100% GI Bill eligible. I know GULC has a bit of a gap between their YRP contribution and their tuition, but it's nothing I couldn't deal with. Anyway, I need to try to get admitted first, no easy task with a GPA ~25% and an LSAT a point below last year's median.

Good luck to you, brother. If you want someone to take a look at anything you are sending in, feel free to reach out.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:24 pm

BRAVO ZULU

did you put that in the optional?

ArcticDeckie

Postby ArcticDeckie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:39 pm

storpappa wrote:

BRAVO ZULU

did you put that in the optional?

Nah, just in the resume. I expected a WL based on my numbers, so this may have been good to keep in my back pocket to distinguish myself from the rest of the WL pack as well as refer back to some of the better stuff on my resume. Time will tell, I suppose.

mecarey

Postby mecarey » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:49 pm

Has anyone had luck with negotiating a tuition reduction scholarship into a living stipend scholarship? I'm 100% GI eligible so the basics are taken care of (tuition, fees, BAH), but I've heard that some schools will roll a tuition scholarship into one that is paid directly to you (read: pocketable since the GI Bill picks up the rest of the tab). Currently attempting to work with a school on this, but would love to hear a story if anyone else has had success.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:12 pm

Would love to hear your results.

I am wondering if its easier to get the check or "credit" for campus housing/meal plans

mrmr

Postby mrmr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:46 pm

I've seen a lot of exams out there that give 5 (or so) extra points if you are a veteran and more if you have other qualifiers on top of it. I think the bar exam should be the same way.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”