Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sarge

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby sarge » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:29 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:The Air Force has announced their new early separation guidelines for FY15 force management, and given us a whole three days to pull the trigger on it. Thanks big blue.

Link?

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 am

Hey all, checking in.

A little over 6 years as an 0331 in the reserves, got out as a Sergeant, was in Helmand in 2011. Currently awaiting my second LSAT score and I am expecting it to be in the 168-172 range. I graduated from UMass Amherst with a 3.2 in bio and I am basically following my wife to wherever she gets into med school (for DO), either in the Boston area (she'll be in Maine), Atlanta, Philly, or VA.

I am hoping/expecting to get in to Washington and Lee, Emory, Temple, BC, and BU. I am reaching for Penn and UVA, depending how I did on that LSAT. I'm hoping some of my softs will give me a boost over my GPA. I'm also planning on taking the patent bar this summer prior to LS. I'm currently using my bio degree to its full potential as a mechanic.

I was fortunate to qualify for voc rehab because my lower back is toast.

That's me in a nutshell. Any advice?

Mike

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:26 pm

sarge wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:The Air Force has announced their new early separation guidelines for FY15 force management, and given us a whole three days to pull the trigger on it. Thanks big blue.

Link?

Got it via email but the PDSM for officers is PDSM 13-65 and enlisted is PDSM 13-64.

navykev

Postby navykev » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:41 pm

mike0331 wrote:Hey all, checking in.

A little over 6 years as an 0331 in the reserves, got out as a Sergeant, was in Helmand in 2011. Currently awaiting my second LSAT score and I am expecting it to be in the 168-172 range. I graduated from UMass Amherst with a 3.2 in bio and I am basically following my wife to wherever she gets into med school (for DO), either in the Boston area (she'll be in Maine), Atlanta, Philly, or VA.

I am hoping/expecting to get in to Washington and Lee, Emory, Temple, BC, and BU. I am reaching for Penn and UVA, depending how I did on that LSAT. I'm hoping some of my softs will give me a boost over my GPA. I'm also planning on taking the patent bar this summer prior to LS. I'm currently using my bio degree to its full potential as a mechanic.

Mike

Welcome to the thread brother!

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Thought it might be worth mentioning that I have received a fee waiver from everywhere I have requested one thus far (from who has replied). It really helps out around the holidays, especially since I am applying a bunch of places because I am at the mercy of where my wife gets in. Kicking myself for not requesting one from Suffolk and NEU when I initially applied there, but oh well.

So for reference, Penn, UVA, BC, Temple, and Emory will waive the fee for veteran status. I am waiting for a reply from a couple other places.

Mike

cmac2210

Postby cmac2210 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:31 pm

mike0331 wrote:Thought it might be worth mentioning that I have received a fee waiver from everywhere I have requested one thus far (from who has replied). It really helps out around the holidays, especially since I am applying a bunch of places because I am at the mercy of where my wife gets in. Kicking myself for not requesting one from Suffolk and NEU when I initially applied there, but oh well.

So for reference, Penn, UVA, BC, Temple, and Emory will waive the fee for veteran status. I am waiting for a reply from a couple other places.

Mike

I am also getting ready to push the button on a few applications. How did you go about requesting the fee waiver based on your veteran status?

haus

Postby haus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:45 am

cmac2210 wrote:
mike0331 wrote:Thought it might be worth mentioning that I have received a fee waiver from everywhere I have requested one thus far (from who has replied). It really helps out around the holidays, especially since I am applying a bunch of places because I am at the mercy of where my wife gets in. Kicking myself for not requesting one from Suffolk and NEU when I initially applied there, but oh well.

Mike

I am also getting ready to push the button on a few applications. How did you go about requesting the fee waiver based on your veteran status?

Take a look at page 54 of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170257&p=7888423&hilit=Waiver#p7888423

The suggestion that the janitor made are very similar to the steps I had taken, and I found the process to work fairly well.

Good luck,

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:03 pm

mike0331 wrote:Hey all, checking in.

Mike

Welcome aboard. You 1/25?

If you hit your target, I think you will be good for UVA, Penn, NYU. If you hit the top of your estimate, I think H is possible. Either way, throw an app at literally every school with 80 miles of her school. I didn't do that, and my Osterpath is like 3000 miles away.

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:53 pm

Yessir, 1/25 Weapons.

As far as how I got the fee waiver... I simply asked if they had a fee waiver for veterans. I would have been happy to supply a DD214 if requested.

I find it highly likely my GPA would hold me back from some of the top few schools, but if I somehow pull off a 175+ (I'd be shocked as I KNOW I had some issues in the LGs section) I'd apply to HLS just for kicks as I have some connections, however minor. My father is also an active alum of CLS, but I will not live in NYC for a handful of reasons.

It looks like my wife has the best shot at getting into DO school in VA, and W&L and UVA are sitting on my apps awaiting my new LSAT score. I'd be happy going to either school, but it will come with an hour or so commute, which is doable but annoying. Unfortunately the med school schedule is much more demanding so it makes sense to live closer to where she goes.

Mike

hokie6260

Postby hokie6260 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:56 pm

Hello all, checking in for the 1st time. Been AD for about 10 years and decided to give my hand at this law school thing, it's always been a dream of mine. Just finishing up my BA in CJ with a 3.69 GPA and will be taking the LSAT for the first time in June. Because of geographic reasons with my wife getting a job and supporting the family for 3 years, I will not be reaching out too far as far as which schools I will be applying to. Right now my list is:
UNC
Wake Forest
Elon
South Carolina
Campbell

It's definitely an overwhelming process so far. Hopefully one of them will let me slip through the cracks!

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:39 am

mike0331 wrote:Yessir, 1/25 Weapons.

As far as how I got the fee waiver... I simply asked if they had a fee waiver for veterans. I would have been happy to supply a DD214 if requested.

I find it highly likely my GPA would hold me back from some of the top few schools, but if I somehow pull off a 175+ (I'd be shocked as I KNOW I had some issues in the LGs section) I'd apply to HLS just for kicks as I have some connections, however minor. My father is also an active alum of CLS, but I will not live in NYC for a handful of reasons.

It looks like my wife has the best shot at getting into DO school in VA, and W&L and UVA are sitting on my apps awaiting my new LSAT score. I'd be happy going to either school, but it will come with an hour or so commute, which is doable but annoying. Unfortunately the med school schedule is much more demanding so it makes sense to live closer to where she goes.

Mike

Check your PM.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:39 am

Any of you fucks have experience with the VA home loan?

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:44 am

bjsesq wrote:Any of you fucks have experience with the VA home loan?

Yup. Used it twice.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:46 am

Ex Cearulo wrote:

Yup. Used it twice.

How was the process getting it? I'm so accustomed to the retarded bureaucracy in the VA that I'm almost expecting to get analized. What are the benefits besides dat sweet interest rate and no mortgage insurance?

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:53 am

bjsesq wrote:
Ex Cearulo wrote:

Yup. Used it twice.

How was the process getting it? I'm so accustomed to the retarded bureaucracy in the VA that I'm almost expecting to get analized. What are the benefits besides dat sweet interest rate and no mortgage insurance?

I had a pretty good experience both times, but that's because both lenders I used had a lot of experience with VA mortgages. Fortunately, if you have an experienced lender, most of the bureacracy with the VA is handled for you. Just provide the lender with everything they need and let them deal with the machine. The first time I used VAmortgagecenter.com. I can't speak for everyone they have there, but our agent was awesome. The second time it was a local bank in a military town.

The low interest rate and no mortgage insurance are the big wins. Also the potential ability to buy with zero money down if that's of interest to you. But research VA funding fees and make sure you're smart on that going in. A lot of military friends of mine didn't know much about that associated cost when they started the process.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:59 am

Ex Cearulo wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Ex Cearulo wrote:

Yup. Used it twice.

I had a pretty good experience both times, but that's because both lenders I used had a lot of experience with VA mortgages. Fortunately, if you have an experienced lender, most of the bureacracy with the VA is handled for you. Just provide the lender with everything they need and let them deal with the machine. The first time I used VAmortgagecenter.com. I can't speak for everyone they have there, but our agent was awesome. The second time it was a local bank in a military town.

The low interest rate and no mortgage insurance are the big wins. Also the potential ability to buy with zero money down if that's of interest to you. But research VA funding fees and make sure you're smart on that going in. A lot of military friends of mine didn't know much about that associated cost when they started the process.

Thanks much, brother.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:14 am

Haven't done a VA loan yet, but I have an account at USAA and Navy Federal just for their brokers/bankers. USAA is really good at customizing insurance products for you and doing all the legwork if you call (the website customer service is not as good). Navy Federal has handled all my car loans and cash management, but I go in person to a small base an hour away. Both are now open to all branches and vets, as well as anyone that you open a joint account with.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:17 am

As in, USAA is doing investment work for you? Are their money managers worth a shit?

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:24 am

bjsesq wrote:As in, USAA is doing investment work for you? Are their money managers worth a shit?

Mine pretty much said get a Vanguard ETF and chill out, which turns out to be the credited response, but I used them to make an insurance policy that covered my bike, wedding ring, and cell phone (because I didn't want renters insurance for some dumb reason). Progressive ended up handling my policy but there was a designated line for USAA members.

Navy federal took the initiative to ask if I wanted to move all my savings into a checking account that had a higher interest rate (but a 10,000 account minimum to get interest). They are also pretty good at cancelling my card and sending me a new one whenever I use my Visa at Target, which I like.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Just stay away from USAA for mortgages. I love USAA for pretty much everything (checking, savings, all my insurance, 529s for the kids, etc) but I can't tell you how many people I know personally who have despised working with them on their mortgage. They all said it was like working with a completely different company and they were shocked at how bad it was.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Ex Cearulo wrote:Just stay away from USAA for mortgages. I love USAA for pretty much everything (checking, savings, all my insurance, 529s for the kids, etc) but I can't tell you how many people I know personally who have despised working with them on their mortgage. They all said it was like working with a completely different company and they were shocked at how bad it was.

Oh that's interesting. I currently use USAA for banking and had applied (and was approved) for a VA Home Loan back in September. I haven't used it yet. If not USAA, do you have any recommendations? I want to stay away from those Facebook advertisements..

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:01 pm

encore1101 wrote:
Ex Cearulo wrote:Just stay away from USAA for mortgages. I love USAA for pretty much everything (checking, savings, all my insurance, 529s for the kids, etc) but I can't tell you how many people I know personally who have despised working with them on their mortgage. They all said it was like working with a completely different company and they were shocked at how bad it was.

Oh that's interesting. I currently use USAA for banking and had applied (and was approved) for a VA Home Loan back in September. I haven't used it yet. If not USAA, do you have any recommendations? I want to stay away from those Facebook advertisements..

Navy Federal for loans, USAA for insurance. Either/or for banking. I use NFCU for my cash accounts and USAA for my Mastercard. (It is consistently ranked among the top cards to carry).

The VA loan is a pretty easy process. Just get your Certificate of Eligibility lined up and start talking with lenders. Don't be surprised if the loan is 0.25% or so higher than conventional loans, but you can get something for 0 down. If you're 10%+ or more disabled and receiving disabled compensation you do not have to pay the funding fee. If that's the case, make sure your COE says so. Other than that, whoever you get to service your loan will take care of things on the financial side.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:58 am

encore1101 wrote:

I had a great experience using a local lender in the military town where we bought our most recent house. They had a lot of experience working with military families and VA home loans. If you're in/near a military town, I recommend asking around. Chances are one or two banks will keep being mentioned. Otherwise, major banks should have officers that have VA loan experience. I'd make sure to get hooked up with one of them.

seizmaar

Postby seizmaar » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:17 am

Jumping on the VA loan bandwagon to ask, it looks like I'm going to be in DC for the duration when I move there in September. DC rents are terrible, but do you think they're bad enough to justify buying a place with 0 down? The idea of that terrifies me but some people said purchase prices in DC are way lower than rental rates and you have basically a guaranteed rental income when you're ready to move up and out. Anyone have experience with this, or is it still pretty common to wait and put some money down when you get the VA loan?

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:45 am

Comrades,

As someone who owns several properties, my .02 on VA loans:

1. If you have okay credit (above 650ish) and can put at least 5% down, its likely a better deal to finance in the regular way. The A answer is 20% down and a 15 year fixed rate. You'd probably get a 2.5%ish interest rate. I think the A+ answer is just dropping a few deployments worth of savings and paying cash outright.

2. VA loans don't waive closing costs or get one a better deal per se, it just rolls costs into the loan. One who is planning to sell nearish term or rent it out may find this to be a pain, as they could end up owing more than the house is worth. Usually, this is still a better deal than renting long-term, but worse than getting a traditional loan.

3. Be wary of "just rent it out for income later". Many military people fall into this trap while on active duty. One has to be sure the house is rentable at a positive income earning price. Any real estate agent or broker worth a shit can provide this information. Before you buy with a plan to rent, the math has to add up:

Estimated Rental Income-(mortgage+insurance+manager fee+1 to 2% value of the home in maintenance and repairs+one month expenses/12(vacancy coefficient-ish)+ 20 to 50 dollars a month in unpredictable expenses)=greater than 0

Good luck! Don't be a house-poor asshole.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”