Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SemperLegal

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:35 am

Talked to CoC and it's willing to give me a ride to my battle buddy's room at a nearby base (has reliable wifi, and I'll probably bring my laptop) on a humvee. So it's definitely accommodating. It's not the most ideal situation, but I think it's doable.

I get so jealous of units that don't actively try to make life miserable for enlisted men.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:37 am

SemperLegal wrote:
Talked to CoC and it's willing to give me a ride to my battle buddy's room at a nearby base (has reliable wifi, and I'll probably bring my laptop) on a humvee. So it's definitely accommodating. It's not the most ideal situation, but I think it's doable.

I get so jealous of units that don't actively try to make life miserable for enlisted men.

BUT U DONT WANNA BE HARDCORE !?!?!?!?!

God, I don't miss that shit.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Hello,

I've heard stuff about veterans having in-state tuition everywhere across the US. I heard it was starting in the Fall of 2015.

Does anyone know anything?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:41 pm

bjsesq wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:

BUT U DONT WANNA BE HARDCORE !?!?!?!?!

God, I don't miss that shit.

Love those officers/NCOs.

What, you think you're going to get hot chow in Afghanistan?! TRAIN LIKE YOU FIGHT, HERO! COMPLACENCY KILLS!

(Takes company van back to the barracks to cry in the shower about lack of combat patch)

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 pm

this was the best thing about west point, because it was kids who aren't even in the army imitating shit they've seen in movies

WHY IS YOUR PANTS POCKET UNBUTTONED PLEBE? YOU WANT AL QAEDA TO DROP AN IED IN THERE?

i think that one might need some updating

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:39 pm

louierodriguez wrote:Hello,

I've heard stuff about veterans having in-state tuition everywhere across the US. I heard it was starting in the Fall of 2015.

I don't know of any national rule. As far as I know, it varies by school/state. For example, I know UVA automatically gives veterans in-state tuition.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:13 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:

I don't know of any national rule. As far as I know, it varies by school/state. For example, I know UVA automatically gives veterans in-state tuition.

It was signed in August I believe as part of the VA reform bill. So, public schools will lose the ability to accept GI Bill funding if they don't grant in-state to vets (meaning they'll all likely be granting in-state).

Though I'm not taking advantage, I'm certainly a fan. Coming from an Air Force family and joining myself, I literally had no home other than what I used for military pay. It's tough to establish residency in some states, so I'm glad they're simplifying it!

navykev

Postby navykev » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:26 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

It was signed in August I believe as part of the VA reform bill. So, public schools will lose the ability to accept GI Bill funding if they don't grant in-state to vets (meaning they'll all likely be granting in-state).

Though I'm not taking advantage, I'm certainly a fan. Coming from an Air Force family and joining myself, I literally had no home other than what I used for military pay. It's tough to establish residency in some states, so I'm glad they're simplifying it!

This is consistent with a reply I got from UGA's financial office as well -- I was admitted as a GA resident even though I have never lived in GA. When I inquired about it - -they said they listed me that way because a new law requires them to give vets intending to use the GI Bill in state tuition.
Last edited by navykev on Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navykev

Postby navykev » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Here is a Stars and Stripes article that breaks it down: http://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/un ... l-1.301424

Here is a fact sheet on it as well from the VA website: http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/docs/ ... tsheet.pdf

Basically, if a public university wants to accept payments from the GI Bill for any veteran's tuition -- they have to charge in-state tuition. Goes into effect 1 July 2015.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:07 am

For anyone who hasn't seen the Seymour Johnson AFB big resiliency program... Enjoy! Apparently this is from back in 2013 but didn't make it's way through the interwebs until recently. Maybe law students should sign up for an AF resiliency class. :D

https://web.archive.org/web/20130702011744/http://www.dvidshub.net/video/286886/passport-resiliency

The blowback on this was so swift and vicious that the AF took down the video. Fortunately it was saved for posterity.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Anyone know if any private schools will reclass a scholarship for someone who is 100% GI Bill eligible? I've emailed Cornell, GTown, and Penn and will post the answer if it's not answered here first.

ArcticDeckie

Postby ArcticDeckie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:27 am

FairchildFLT wrote:Anyone know if any private schools will reclass a scholarship for someone who is 100% GI Bill eligible? I've emailed Cornell, GTown, and Penn and will post the answer if it's not answered here first.

I'm going to see if this is possible when it comes time to negotiate, but anyone have success in past cycles?

nontrad2014

Postby nontrad2014 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:51 am

I'd say no because: (1) they are relying on you claiming GI Bill w/o proof of payment (for your benefit), (2) the VA pays, for GI Bill purposes, after scholarships have been applied, and (3) that would place the school in a weird position in regards to contracting. You could always opt out, but I don't see them reclassing the scholi for others. Also, if you should ever use Vocational Rehab instead of GI Bill the scholi money is returned to you (it's an overage).

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:27 am

ArcticDeckie wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:Anyone know if any private schools will reclass a scholarship for someone who is 100% GI Bill eligible? I've emailed Cornell, GTown, and Penn and will post the answer if it's not answered here first.

I'm going to see if this is possible when it comes time to negotiate, but anyone have success in past cycles?

I can speak on the negative side. Many schools are hip to this, as is the G.I. Bill. Most schools now provide your scholly after other aid is applied, to get around the G.I. Bill's attempt at being the last payer after school schollies. I know NU used to re-class and stopped a year or two back. During my cycle (last year), one small regional school also would not, while another seemed to at least consider the idea. I was getting a near full ride there though.

From what I understand, you can only get up to the full amount of COA even if the school does re-class. Still, it would be a nice $1k/year bump if you could pull it off.

As you guys get data, post it and I'll add it to the spreadsheet w/GI Bill + YRP amounts for future cycles.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:41 pm

So Cornell gave me a pretty off-topic answer.

My question :"I am a current applicant for Cornell law. I am wondering if Cornell will re-class scholarships for students that are 100% GI Bill eligible, so that applicants can utilize that money?"

Their answer: "We are indeed participants in the Yellow Ribbon, GI Bill, and Post 9/11 programs. Having said that, until you are admitted and we have seen your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, I cannot speak to what sort of award you might be eligible for.
I hope this information is helpful, and all best to you!"

CU Boulder automatically classifies scholarships for rent anyway. No response from Gtown yet.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Cornell: can't answer your question, hope that helps.

ITHAKHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

SuaSponteB4

Postby SuaSponteB4 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:03 pm

Been lurking for a bit but haven't followed most posts in this thread. I realized something yesterday that I consider good news, but I have a question.

I'm taking the LSAT this Saturday. It's my first attempt and I've been PTing in the low 170s. GPA is not great (will be in the low 3s) so if I do well enough, I'll be a splitter. I'm hoping for a T-14 but I'm pretty debt-averse, so I'll definitely retake and get some more WE before testing again.

So here's the question: I've used 27 months of my GI Bill on undergrad, so I should have one year of LS covered. If I somehow do well enough to get some sort of scholarship, how would that work? Would I use the scholarship for the first two years, and, assuming it's not 100% scholarship, use the GI Bill the third year? Or would the scholarship still stand if I use my GI Bill the first year?

Thanks guys.

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:20 am

Comrades,

I recommend every veteran read this thread, all of it. Don't be a time-suck. It answered tons of questions I had, and provided "leads" on the right questions to ask admissions people. It has allowed me to talk money and job prospects, i.e. expected value.

The military bump is real. I probably have the worst GPA this cycle, period. I have been accepted to three great schools, and have already had conversations about summer work.

All my fellow 0L's: your various veteran, regimental and alumni associations in your target area should know you are getting out and going to law school. Odds are, some judge or partner also spent his early years humping ammo and catching metal in Asia.

Anyways, .02 from someone who has had more success this cycle than is deserved.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:40 am

SuaSponteB4 wrote:So here's the question: I've used 27 months of my GI Bill on undergrad, so I should have one year of LS covered. If I somehow do well enough to get some sort of scholarship, how would that work? Would I use the scholarship for the first two years, and, assuming it's not 100% scholarship, use the GI Bill the third year? Or would the scholarship still stand if I use my GI Bill the first year?

So you basically have one school year of tuition/housing paid for by the GI Bill (but not the rest of COL expenses), and two years of incurring debt dependent upon how much scholarship money you get from the school? Sounds to me like the order you apply them doesn't matter objectively as long as A) you don't run out of GI Bill eligibility while in school (it's good for 10 years after service), and B) the school's scholarship offer is guaranteed over three years regardless of use and doesn't have stipulations. The decision seems like it would be based more on your personal finances and when it makes the most sense to use the GI Bill and it's housing allowance.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:32 am

SuaSponteB4 wrote:Been lurking for a bit but haven't followed most posts in this thread. I realized something yesterday that I consider good news, but I have a question.

I'm taking the LSAT this Saturday. It's my first attempt and I've been PTing in the low 170s. GPA is not great (will be in the low 3s) so if I do well enough, I'll be a splitter. I'm hoping for a T-14 but I'm pretty debt-averse, so I'll definitely retake and get some more WE before testing again.

So here's the question: I've used 27 months of my GI Bill on undergrad, so I should have one year of LS covered. If I somehow do well enough to get some sort of scholarship, how would that work? Would I use the scholarship for the first two years, and, assuming it's not 100% scholarship, use the GI Bill the third year? Or would the scholarship still stand if I use my GI Bill the first year?

Thanks guys.

I would work with the school to allocate your scholarship to years 2 & 3. If you're 100% G.I. Bill eligible, you are eligible for the YRP as well. If you end up at a private school, you'll need that YRP money. However, schools often consider that part of the scholarship they provide...even when they didn't know you were eligible at the time they extended the scholly offer. That can suck.

So, if you get, say $20k/year at Duke (for example), try to see if they'll provide you $30k in years 2 & 3. Then, make sure they're good with the YRP match (it'll be around $18-20k coming from the school) not affecting that amount. Once they've agreed to the year 2/3 scholly, I don't think they'll balk when you throw down your DD214 on the financial aid desk and tell them you're YRP eligible.

If you're at a public school, the new law will make it easier for you. You won't need YRP, so definitely have the school allocate the money to years 2 & 3 so it doesn't get "replaced" by G.I. Bill funds. Don't do that until you've negotiated their best amount...then drop it on them.

If you blow law school out of the water 1L year, I suppose there's a not-impossible shot at getting an increased scholly as well (perhaps if you start transfer talk). This is unlikely, but combined with accruing interest on loans, it makes using the G.I. Bill in year 1 likely the more prudent play.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:42 am

also do the math on the number of months. i had a weird number such that I started a semester of ls with one or two months eligibility left. still got the full tuition payment (and books I think) for that semester, although obviously only one month of housing.

SuaSponteB4

Postby SuaSponteB4 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks for all the help. I'll definitely keep it in mind when the time actually comes.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:58 pm

The Air Force has announced their new early separation guidelines for FY15 force management, and given us a whole three days to pull the trigger on it. Thanks big blue.

mecarey

Postby mecarey » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:13 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:CU Boulder automatically classifies scholarships for rent anyway. No response from Gtown yet.

I'm a bit confused by this comment . . . does this mean Boulder's scholarship money is pocketable if you're using the GI Bill or does it mean that the GI benefit would be applied after the scholarship is deducted?

Since Boulder is up top on my list and I'm up for scholarship consideration, if I could pocket the scholarship this would push it over the edge!

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:44 pm

mecarey wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:CU Boulder automatically classifies scholarships for rent anyway. No response from Gtown yet.

I'm a bit confused by this comment . . . does this mean Boulder's scholarship money is pocketable if you're using the GI Bill or does it mean that the GI benefit would be applied after the scholarship is deducted?

Since Boulder is up top on my list and I'm up for scholarship consideration, if I could pocket the scholarship this would push it over the edge!

They are already classified to be used for rent/food/textbooks etc...So the scholarship money is pocketable if you're using the GI Bill.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”