Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
haus

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby haus » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:33 pm

ArcticDeckie wrote:Just wanted to thank you guys again for the 'retake/reapply' encouragement. It can be a tough pill to swallow, but it paid off already: I landed a good job for the next year and got accepted at GW, which was an indefinite WL for me last cycle. It's a huge relief, and it's only October. Most useful thread on TLS.

Congrats on the job!

It is nice to see an early acceptance, especially from a school that was previously out of reach, good luck with the rest of your cycle.

BULLSHARK6

Postby BULLSHARK6 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Checking in. First off thanks for maintaining such a great thread. It's a valuable resource for transitioning military.

Submitted my Early Decision application to UT. I wanted to meet the deadline but am considering retaking the LSAT to boost my score. Should I wait to submit my applications until after the retake, or should I submit and allow the score to update automatically? With rolling admissions I am really focussed on getting the applications in early.

I appreciate any and all assistance.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:21 pm

BULLSHARK6 wrote:Checking in. First off thanks for maintaining such a great thread. It's a valuable resource for transitioning military.

Submitted my Early Decision application to UT. I wanted to meet the deadline but am considering retaking the LSAT to boost my score. Should I wait to submit my applications until after the retake, or should I submit and allow the score to update automatically? With rolling admissions I am really focussed on getting the applications in early.

It's better to apply late with one extra point on the LSAT than to apply early.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:19 am

BULLSHARK6 wrote:Checking in. First off thanks for maintaining such a great thread. It's a valuable resource for transitioning military.

Does UT have a system like many schools where they have the option of denying an ED application, but rolling it over to RD and considering it again? If so (and if your numbers are competitive to borderline), you may consider submitting ED to try and get the ED boost, but also let them know you're re-taking the LSAT to give them another reason to hold on to your app for another look later. The risk is applying ED and getting outright dinged with no look under RD, but that's where considering your numbers comes into play.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:13 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:

I wouldn't go that for, especially for veterans. Early in the cycle, they are looking for reasons to let you in, in the end they are looking for reasons to reject. People are likely (especially next week) to aggressively look for reasons to up their veteran numbers.both to support the troops, and because well educated veterans in lucrative careers are very likely to be in very influential places one day, so it makes alumni committees happy

BULLSHARK6

Postby BULLSHARK6 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:00 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:

I wouldn't go that for, especially for veterans. Early in the cycle, they are looking for reasons to let you in, in the end they are looking for reasons to reject. People are likely (especially next week) to aggressively look for reasons to up their veteran numbers.both to support the troops, and because well educated veterans in lucrative careers are very likely to be in very influential places one day, so it makes alumni committees happy

Thanks for the advice. UT will carry over for RD if I don't make the ED cut. I was hoping that the veteran numbers incentive would boost my chances. I decided to send the apps in. Thanks again guys.

NavyRick

Postby NavyRick » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:14 am

HawgDriver wrote:What's up, everyone?! Nice to see some familiar faces still in the Veterans thread. Wondering if anyone ever deployed to or passed through Camp Lemonnier? I'm out here now on a 6-month no-fly. Awesome. But I will say it's very chill...which is probably why I found myself wandering back to TLS after some time away. Lots of time to kill which has got me back thinking about law school again.

I was a rider in DJ last summer... April-July. Must've been told 1,000 times by army reservists to stop running because of black flag. I had 3 years of TERRIBLE grades pre-navy, but really started to improve my grades while out there because there was nothing to do but drink Tuskers and take classes.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:26 am

NavyRick wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:What's up, everyone?! Nice to see some familiar faces still in the Veterans thread. Wondering if anyone ever deployed to or passed through Camp Lemonnier? I'm out here now on a 6-month no-fly. Awesome. But I will say it's very chill...which is probably why I found myself wandering back to TLS after some time away. Lots of time to kill which has got me back thinking about law school again.

I was a rider in DJ last summer... April-July. Must've been told 1,000 times by army reservists to stop running because of black flag. I had 3 years of TERRIBLE grades pre-navy, but really started to improve my grades while out there because there was nothing to do but drink Tuskers and take classes.

That sounds about right. I've done more reading and working out in a month here than in a year back home. PT restrictions are still in place for black flag, too. And the Tusker flows like water at 11D...until you've had your two, of course :D

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Happy Birthday you soulless animals. In the words of my favorite mustang: I would tell you to be safe, but you are just going to go out and go splitsie on a $.05 hooker/ But for the sake of ol'Gunny at least turn the Dorito bag you are using as a field-expedient condom inside out between squad-members.

Chesty bless you all, cause God sure won't.

kevin0201

Postby kevin0201 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:53 pm

Got my JS1 from Harvard, but I'll be out in the field. What to do? I scheduled an interview to secure my spot though.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:07 pm

kevin0201 wrote:Got my JS1 from Harvard, but I'll be out in the field. What to do? I scheduled an interview to secure my spot though.

You scheduled a phone call you can't take?

Send the admissions office an e-mail asap telling them you'll be unavailable due to training from date to date and that you'd like to reschedule the interview for after that date. There is a 0% chance anybody cares, as long as you do it quickly and you don't hold a spot you know you're not going to be able to use until the last minute.

edit: congrats by the way.

kevin0201

Postby kevin0201 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:32 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
kevin0201 wrote:Got my JS1 from Harvard, but I'll be out in the field. What to do? I scheduled an interview to secure my spot though.

You scheduled a phone call you can't take?

Send the admissions office an e-mail asap telling them you'll be unavailable due to training from date to date and that you'd like to reschedule the interview for after that date. There is a 0% chance anybody cares, as long as you do it quickly and you don't hold a spot you know you're not going to be able to use until the last minute.

edit: congrats by the way.

I think I'll try that after talking to my NCOIC and OIC. Thanks!

haus

Postby haus » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:55 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Happy Birthday you soulless animals. In the words of my favorite mustang: I would tell you to be safe, but you are just going to go out and go splitsie on a $.05 hooker/ But for the sake of ol'Gunny at least turn the Dorito bag you are using as a field-expedient condom inside out between squad-members.

Chesty bless you all, cause God sure won't.

And happy birthday to you as well.

SoCalBum

Postby SoCalBum » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:58 am

I have my 10 applications finished and queued on LSAC ready to be sent in.

Im struggling with deciding if I should write a diversity statement... I feel that with my personal statement, resume, addendum, and recs everything is already said and its obvious as a Veteran what diversity I bring to the campus.

Should I waste time trying to write and perfect my diversity statement or just send in my apps?

D

jawsjawsjaws

Postby jawsjawsjaws » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:17 am

SoCalBum wrote:I have my 10 applications finished and queued on LSAC ready to be sent in.

Im struggling with deciding if I should write a diversity statement... I feel that with my personal statement, resume, addendum, and recs everything is already said and its obvious as a Veteran what diversity I bring to the campus.

Should I waste time trying to write and perfect my diversity statement or just send in my apps?

D

Send in the apps!

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:24 am

Happy vets day, all. Use this to get laid.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:Happy vets day, all. Use this to get laid.

Working...

SoCalBum

Postby SoCalBum » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:48 am

All my apps went down range tonight. Good luck everyone!

D

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:45 am

MT Cicero wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Happy vets day, all. Use this to get laid.

Working...

Sounds like an excuse!

kevin0201

Postby kevin0201 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:30 am

Would it be okay to be in my uniform for an interview?

I'll be in training, and it's probably a big hassle for me to bring clothes for an interview... I already got my rucksack and duffle bags to worry about.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:47 am

kevin0201 wrote:Would it be okay to be in my uniform for an interview?

I'll be in training, and it's probably a big hassle for me to bring clothes for an interview... I already got my rucksack and duffle bags to worry about.

That'll be fine. I'd still really encourage you to just push it to the right, but if you've already talked to your CoC about it might as well do it. See if you can get your mortar guys to fire an illum round from nearby during your interview so you can be like I'VE GOT TO GO, WE'RE TAKING FIRE.

kevin0201

Postby kevin0201 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:03 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:

That'll be fine. I'd still really encourage you to just push it to the right, but if you've already talked to your CoC about it might as well do it. See if you can get your mortar guys to fire an illum round from nearby during your interview so you can be like I'VE GOT TO GO, WE'RE TAKING FIRE.

Pushing it to the right meaning skip the training?

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:12 am

kevin0201 wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:

No, definitely not. It means asking Harvard to hook you up with a date when you're back in garrison (I don't know how long you're going to be training. If it's like a two month-event, never mind). That being said, if you can pull it off in the field, it won't hurt with Harvard. I would just be worried about having a reliable internet connection, a private/quiet place so you're not distracted, and a decent web cam. If your unit has all those things covered, you have time in the field to prepare, and you're sure 6 or 7 isn't going to drop some random ass task on you at the last minute, then by all means do it from the field. It will definitely help you stand out in a positive way. If you're not 100% sure about any of those things, just explain to Harvard what's up and they will accommodate. Nobody is going to hold it against you that you're in training.

kevin0201

Postby kevin0201 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:21 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
kevin0201 wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:

No, definitely not. It means asking Harvard to hook you up with a date when you're back in garrison (I don't know how long you're going to be training. If it's like a two month-event, never mind). That being said, if you can pull it off in the field, it won't hurt with Harvard. I would just be worried about having a reliable internet connection, a private/quiet place so you're not distracted, and a decent web cam. If your unit has all those things covered, you have time in the field to prepare, and you're sure 6 or 7 isn't going to drop some random ass task on you at the last minute, then by all means do it from the field. It will definitely help you stand out in a positive way. If you're not 100% sure about any of those things, just explain to Harvard what's up and they will accommodate. Nobody is going to hold it against you that you're in training.

Talked to CoC and it's willing to give me a ride to my battle buddy's room at a nearby base (has reliable wifi, and I'll probably bring my laptop) on a humvee. So it's definitely accommodating. It's not the most ideal situation, but I think it's doable.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:35 am

Good shit. Should make for a cool story during the interview then. Good luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”