Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rotor

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Rotor » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:44 pm

ArcticDeckie wrote:Looks like I'll be lurking in this thread for another year: I'm living the TLS mantra of 'retake, reapply'. Got a four point bump on the June LSAT to 166 and signed up for September (my last shot), so I'll see where that gets me in the DC area with a 3.4x. It feels weird to be applying all over again, but I need to see what those four points can do for me. Hopefully September will yield even more.

Anyone else doing the same?

Didn't have to retake, but I was a 3.4x/166 and got into Berkeley. Apply to as many places in the T-14 as you can afford (don't forget to ask for fee waivers). Unless you have some skeleton in your record, I'm guessing you'll have some success in the T-6 to -14. If you have something exceptional in the record, you may even have lightning strike in the top six schools. But retaking is rarely a bad idea these days.

ArcticDeckie

Postby ArcticDeckie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:17 am

SemperLegal wrote:Not doing the same, but a similar bump got me from Fordham only to Berkeley/NU/GU. You are doing the right thing.

Rotor wrote:Didn't have to retake, but I was a 3.4x/166 and got into Berkeley. Apply to as many places in the T-14 as you can afford (don't forget to ask for fee waivers). Unless you have some skeleton in your record, I'm guessing you'll have some success in the T-6 to -14. If you have something exceptional in the record, you may even have lightning strike in the top six schools. But retaking is rarely a bad idea these days.

Thanks for the reassurance. Hopefully my admissions cycle can go as well as both of yours. GW is my target, Georgetown my reach, but now I'm considering putting in some applications further up the T-14 in the northeast and see if the September LSAT makes it worthwhile. I have a good record, but not anything I would say would make 'lightening strike', more along the lines of a typical 'military boost' to an application. I have an interesting job opportunity for the mean time, so all is well regardless.

ShayBrah89

Postby ShayBrah89 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Greetings all!

A brief introduction: I'm a former Marine Sergeant, combat engineer, and Afghanistan combat veteran (OEF 10.1-10.2). I recently graduated from the University of Oregon (4.04 GPA, 3.98 LSAC GPA) and I am currently studying for the LSAT, which I plan to take in June 2015. Goal: T14 with scholarship. Now onto my question...

Because I joined as a reservist, my Post 9/11-GI Bill is prorated at 70%. I currently retain 13 months and 20 days of benefits. I know that makes me ineligible for Yellow Ribbon, but am I still eligible to receive some type of benefits from the GI Bill outside of a prorata BAH? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the VA pays up to $20k, so am I correct in assuming I'd get 70% of that amount while attending law school? I know this question is a bit ambiguous but any and all information would be helpful. Thanks all and Semper Fi.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:04 pm

ShayBrah89 wrote:Greetings all!

A brief introduction: I'm a former Marine Sergeant, combat engineer, and Afghanistan combat veteran (OEF 10.1-10.2). I recently graduated from the University of Oregon (4.04 GPA, 3.98 LSAC GPA) and I am currently studying for the LSAT, which I plan to take in June 2015. Goal: T14 with scholarship. Now onto my question...

Because I joined as a reservist, my Post 9/11-GI Bill is prorated at 70%. I currently retain 13 months and 20 days of benefits. I know that makes me ineligible for Yellow Ribbon, but am I still eligible to receive some type of benefits from the GI Bill outside of a prorata BAH? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the VA pays up to $20k, so am I correct in assuming I'd get 70% of that amount while attending law school? I know this question is a bit ambiguous but any and all information would be helpful. Thanks all and Semper Fi.

The way (I think) it works is that the VA will pay 70% of what they would've paid, up to the max. So that doesn't mean the VA will pay up to 14k (70% of 20k) if your bill is, say, 12k. They'll pay 70% of 12k.

Alhe5015

Postby Alhe5015 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:44 pm

Last edited by Alhe5015 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:28 am

I did very directly, but try to have a "hook". As in, tell a story with a larger point beyond just "Hey guys, I was in the military."

Frankly, unless you write a PS about how much you enjoy drawing dicks in the port-o-shitter walls, you have this upcoming cycle by the balls. Congrats, can't wait to see where you end up. You're Post 9/11 eligible, right? Didn't use it all for undergrad?

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:13 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:I did very directly, but try to have a "hook". As in, tell a story with a larger point beyond just "Hey guys, I was in the military."

Frankly, unless you write a PS about how much you enjoy drawing dicks in the port-o-shitter walls, you have this upcoming cycle by the balls. Congrats, can't wait to see where you end up. You're Post 9/11 eligible, right? Didn't use it all for undergrad?

That was art, dammit.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Cobretti wrote:Remember that breaks are not counted towards your time, so winter and spring break need to be taken out. You're probably looking at 7.5months per academic year, as that is what I think just about every school works out to. If that's the case you might actually manage to just barely bleed over into Fall 3L and get that semester covered too. Look at the school's academic calendar to figure out exactly what the time is though.

ETA: also just to be clear incase you aren't familiar, you also will not receive BAH during breaks. So for instance if you have 2 weeks off in march for spring break you'll only receive half your normal BAH that month.

This is not correct. Or at least, not every school calculates it that way. The entire date range of your individual semesters or quarters are accounted for by the school and sent to the VA. If your school gives you a week or 2 off in the middle of a semester (or any other federal/snow holidays for ex), then those days are still accounted for. EX: Spring semester is Jan 8 to May 2 and the school gives you a break from Mar 23-30, you are still charged for that entire period of time and will get paid. HOWEVER, if you are on a quarter schedule that gives a 2 week break in between the winter and spring quarter, then you won't get charged and subsequently won't get paid either. You should really contact the School's VA office and also look at their academic calendar.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:23 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Coprolalia wrote:I don't think my issue has been addressed in these forums:

I am starting school while on terminal leave (ends late September). I had been hoping to use the Yellow Ribbon Program, but am apparently not eligible because I am still active duty. Am I just going to have to bite the bullet and pay for school over the max in-state cost this term? Any advice?

I think you're right - I'm finding a lot of college websites that specifically address the issue and say that you're not eligible for YRP until you're actually separated.

On another note, I don't think you'll get the monthly BAH or the books/supplies stipend associated with the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill until you're officially separated, either.

This happened to me while finishing undergrad. I didn't receive YRP, the book, or housing stipend until I was officially a veteran. Thankfully, it was only a few weeks into the semester. The school actually worked it so that I still had a zero balance at the end of the semester by charging everything once the YRP kicked in. The books and housing were prorated.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:35 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:I sat down with my local JAG office to discuss opportunities. I was told that their best attorneys go on to serve on the Area Defense Council (ADC.) I come from a law enforcement family. My father was Security Forces and is now a member of a 3 letter agency. I don't think with my upbringing I would enjoy defending criminals day in and day out.

Also I spoke to a prior-service Air Force guy who is now Senior Council at a law firm I would not mind working at. He told me that JAG will only benefit you in the private sector if you happen to be placed in the corresponding practice while on AD. I take that to mean if I end up in the ADC, I would probably need to be a defense attorney as a civilian as well. Again, something I would not enjoy.

I spoke with several Naval JAGs prior to getting out who were transitioning themselves or moving to reserve status. Most of them are moving to government litigation roles (at various levels and locales), Hill jobs with a JD Advantage tag or other similar DC policy entities, staying in Naval base areas to do defense for military servicemembers, or hanging a shingle. All of these roles seemed to be very litigation-heavy or policy work. They stated that firms weren't looking to recruit them into their corporate sides, and few had offers to do corporate litigation at all. None knew of anyone who moved to in-house counsel positions or venture capital. So if you're not doing 20+ years, then make sure it meets your strategic vision.
Last edited by DiniMae on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:40 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote: Sure, but that affects everyone applying for government jobs. It's not specific to ex-JAGs.

+1

Decimus wrote:The gouge given to me was that the longer you stay as a JAG, the less marketable you are to anyone (including gov).

+1

Alhe5015

Postby Alhe5015 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:26 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:I did very directly, but try to have a "hook". As in, tell a story with a larger point beyond just "Hey guys, I was in the military."

Ha. Well there goes my first idea.
No i didn't use it at all for undergrad.

JazzyMac

Postby JazzyMac » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Dondarrion wrote:So studying on deployment is damn near impossible.

Luckily I'm not taking the LSAT until June '15 but I wish I had more time.

Testing in February 2015! My master plan is to only take it once. I think I will be too blitzed to study again after that. I'm already ready to burn the study material right now.

Best of luck with your endeavors!

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:15 pm

Alhe5015 wrote:Hey everyone, just checking in!!
26 y/o Lesbian AA URM. Active Duty Army Veteran w 2 deployments. 3.6 and a 171 (retaking in september- shooting for about 5 more points. PTing at 177- 180 right now)

Still working on my PS and YLS 250. How much did everyone incorporate military service into their PS?

I'm also an active duty Army vet with 2 deployments AA URM. You may already have a shot at YLS. I got into YLS with a lower LSAT but higher GPA (3.94/170). But if you can get a 175+ that will help your chances.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Apropos of nothing, what do you think a medical officer should be called? By rank, sir, doctor or a mix?

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:49 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Apropos of nothing, what do you think a medical officer should be called? By rank, sir, doctor or a mix?

For our flight doc, we always called him/her "Doc Lastname" or "Doc Callsign" once he/she was named. I went with sir if I didn't know the doctor AND rank was LTC or above (O5 for our Navy brethren). Else, doc.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:50 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:Apropos of nothing, what do you think a medical officer should be called? By rank, sir, doctor or a mix?

For our flight doc, we always called him/her "Doc Lastname" or "Doc Callsign" once he/she was named. I went with sir if I didn't know the doctor AND rank was LTC or above (O5 for our Navy brethren). Else, doc.

Same here for our flight doc. For the doctors at the medical clinic, "sir" for the O5s and "Captain Lastname" for the O6s, else "doc".

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:

Same here for our flight doc. For the doctors at the medical clinic, "sir" for the O5s and "Captain Lastname" for the O6s, else "doc".

"Doc" feels disloyal to the 8404 Corpsman. Rank always felt weird, unless they were >0-6 because being a doctor takes 7 years of academic ass busting, but being an officer takes a few penstrokes.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:

"Doc" feels disloyal to the 8404 Corpsman. Rank always felt weird, unless they were >0-6 because being a doctor takes 7 years of academic ass busting, but being an officer takes a few penstrokes.

I guess I should caveat it by saying most of our were indeed flight docs and I was a senior-ish Captain. So Capts and Majors were fairly peer like in their interactions with us. Even some of the crusty O5 types just loved to hang out at the roll calls. Plus, in fighter world most of them earned call signs and used them exclusively (they made all the admin in flight medicine use their call sign as well).

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 pm

My wife is a Navy medical officer and gets either Doctor or Ma'am. I don't think she cares either way. Bear in mind that most military doctors who aren't prior service are completely clueless about the rest of the military and will almost never be offended (or notice) flubbed protocol.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:41 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:

My wife is a Navy medical officer and gets either Doctor or Ma'am. I don't think she cares either way. Bear in mind that most military doctors who aren't prior service are completely clueless about the rest of the military and will almost never be offended (or notice) flubbed protocol.

Navy protocol allows for either military or professional salutations for both doctors and chaplains.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:56 pm

DiniMae wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:I sat down with my local JAG office to discuss opportunities. I was told that their best attorneys go on to serve on the Area Defense Council (ADC.) I come from a law enforcement family. My father was Security Forces and is now a member of a 3 letter agency. I don't think with my upbringing I would enjoy defending criminals day in and day out.

Also I spoke to a prior-service Air Force guy who is now Senior Council at a law firm I would not mind working at. He told me that JAG will only benefit you in the private sector if you happen to be placed in the corresponding practice while on AD. I take that to mean if I end up in the ADC, I would probably need to be a defense attorney as a civilian as well. Again, something I would not enjoy.

I spoke with several Naval JAGs prior to getting out who were transitioning themselves or moving to reserve status. Most of them are moving to government litigation roles (at various levels and locales), Hill jobs with a JD Advantage tag or other similar DC policy entities, staying in Naval base areas to do defense for military servicemembers, or hanging a shingle. All of these roles seemed to be very litigation-heavy or policy work. They stated that firms weren't looking to recruit them into their corporate sides, and few had offers to do corporate litigation at all. None knew of anyone who moved to in-house counsel positions or venture capital. So if you're not doing 20+ years, then make sure it meets your strategic vision.

I work in-house for a top company. I know of four ex-Jag attorneys in our legal department. Although I think only one of them got out when they were young (sub 40). I'm pretty sure the other three were 05s or above. Two of them actually don't do legal work per se. They are in the public and government affairs division and I think they do more lobbying than lawyering, the other two are litigators.

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:55 am

Gruss Gott

Posted earlier without introducing myself, poor form.

Army, applying 2014-2015 cycle, classic hard-core splitter (below 3.0 above 170).

Three typical deployments (Platoon Leader Iraq, Embedded Advisor Afghanistan, Infantry CO CDR Afghanistan)

Looking to start my own business after law school (of some sort). 100% GI Bill eigible (YAY!)

Anyone applying to or attending UPenn? I saw on an earlier post that UPenn is not completely covered. This web page shows 20k as Penn's contribution (which means 20k VA if I understand correctly) And a max PA 9/11 GI Bill rate of about 12k per year. Looks like the difference is about 3 grand a year. Can anyone comment on my methodology?

Understand that UP is a reach, reach school, but got a fee waiver, so why the hell not?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:39 am

Wipfelder wrote:Gruss Gott

Posted earlier without introducing myself, poor form.

Army, applying 2014-2015 cycle, classic hard-core splitter (below 3.0 above 170).

Three typical deployments (Platoon Leader Iraq, Embedded Advisor Afghanistan, Infantry CO CDR Afghanistan)

Looking to start my own business after law school (of some sort). 100% GI Bill eigible (YAY!)

Anyone applying to or attending UPenn? I saw on an earlier post that UPenn is not completely covered. This web page shows 20k as Penn's contribution (which means 20k VA if I understand correctly) And a max PA 9/11 GI Bill rate of about 12k per year. Looks like the difference is about 3 grand a year. Can anyone comment on my methodology?

Understand that UP is a reach, reach school, but got a fee waiver, so why the hell not?

Your numbers and military experience will definitely get you into some great schools, and the joy of the Post 9/11 means you can laugh at sticker price. All that said, why a JD? If you want to be a business owner/entrepreneur, why not go to business school? A JD is really only the right move when you want to be a lawyer.

Anyway, as far as schools, above 170 and below 3.0 (how far below) means Penn is a stretch, but there are other great schools (UVA, Northwestern) that are more splitter friendly.

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:29 am

Comrade,

The business I want to "expand"/start involves alot of legal experience. It would probably take four or five years of me working as a lawyer before I could go solo. Anyways, long-ish story.

I'm applying to NU as well as a few others.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”