Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UnicornHunter

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat May 24, 2014 4:27 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:Due to a TDY I have been forced to reschedule my LSAT until September. No big deal, however now this messes with my early decision application plans. I had planned on applying ED to UVA...waiting the 15 days to find out, and if not picked up applying to UT Austin ED. Now it seems like I will most likely only get one shot at EDing to a school. Assuming I score well enough on the LSAT...

Does UVA give me a better shot at Texas big law compared to UT Austin? (Texas would be my number one destination, close enough to home but far enough away that the in-laws still have to call. Not to mention the cost of living...)

I'm a AA male, 3 years TIS, family of four, 100% GI Bill eligible.

The only difference in financials would be that UT would pay a 10k annual housing stipend. (Assuming neither school offers me a scholarship that I can negotiate them to class for housing.)

Are your preferences Texas Big Law>any Big Law> any legal job in texas> any legal job or are they

Texas Big Law>any legal job in texas>any big law>any legal job?

ED UVA or UT accordingly (LSAT dependent). Either school can get you Texas big law if you do well, it's what start to happens if you're around median where the difference is.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Sat May 24, 2014 11:49 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I have a 3.5 LSAC GPA and I am a Texas resident so I would qualify for the 10K stipend.

In regards to Unicorn I would say my preferences are Texas Big Law>any Big Law> any legal job in Texas>any legal job. My plan is to do as well as possible (just like everyone else,) and pursue Big Law via summer internships and JAG via ROTC. Maximize my chances of graduating with a job. As long as I can take care of my family that is really all that matters.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Fri May 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Looks like the Yellow Ribbon Program amounts are out for 2014-15. I'll be updating the spreadsheet this weekend and will post a link to it (and a cheater) in the thread. Quick news: All T14 are free except Yale, Northwestern & Georgetown. And NU is pretty darn close. Penn & Chicago made the jump this year.

Looking nice for 100% GI Bill vets at the top law schools these days!

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri May 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Soco Law wrote:Looks like the Yellow Ribbon Program amounts are out for 2014-15. I'll be updating the spreadsheet this weekend and will post a link to it (and a cheater) in the thread. Quick news: All T14 are free except Yale, Northwestern & Georgetown. And NU is pretty darn close. Penn & Chicago made the jump this year.

Looking nice for 100% GI Bill vets at the top law schools these days!

Awesome news, and thanks so much for not letting that spreadsheet go stale, especially with the large number of changes over the past year or two.

DDG00

Postby DDG00 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:26 am

Last edited by DDG00 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:58 am

Update from a few months back where I wasn't sure how my last semester on the GI Bill would pan out...

Looks like the VA did cover the entire last semester despite only having something like 1.5 months of eligibility going into it. Was receiving a lot of mixed information from VA reps about whether this was the case or not, but despite certain reps explicitly telling me the VA didn't do this it looks like they do after all.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:31 pm

Are there new rates for the 2014-2015 year, or is the max for a private school still 19k or so? Can't find it, although I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:38 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Are there new rates for the 2014-2015 year, or is the max for a private school still 19k or so? Can't find it, although I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

I've seen a couple of schools' websites saying it's going to be $20,235, but I can't find it on the VA site yet.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:56 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Are there new rates for the 2014-2015 year, or is the max for a private school still 19k or so? Can't find it, although I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

I've seen a couple of schools' websites saying it's going to be $20,235, but I can't find it on the VA site yet.

It's this.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks d00ds.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:43 pm

Hot off the presses...my updated spreadsheet for 100% G.I. Bill + Yellow Ribbon eligible vets:

2014-15 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

Congrats to U-Chicago, Penn & Notre Dame for joining the ranks of the free schools.

*Of note: the tuition amounts in white are estimates based on a 2-4% increase. Actual numbers and document will be updated as schools post tuition amounts. This also has the current BAH rates for each of the schools.

Let me know if you guys see any weird issues with it and I'll update.
Last edited by MT Cicero on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

navykev

Postby navykev » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Soco Law wrote:Hot off the presses...my updated spreadsheet for 100% G.I. Bill + Yellow Ribbon eligible vets:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/148027072/201 ... ibbon-Info

Congrats to U-Chicago, Penn & Notre Dame for joining the ranks of the free schools.

*Of note: the tuition amounts in white are estimates based on a 2-4% increase. Actual numbers and document will be updated as schools post tuition amounts. This also has the current BAH rates for each of the schools.

Soco -- thanks for putting this together -- great stuff!

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:43 pm

Soco Law wrote:Hot off the presses...my updated spreadsheet for 100% G.I. Bill + Yellow Ribbon eligible vets:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/148027072/201 ... ibbon-Info

Thanks again for keeping this current; it's a great resource.

Only issue I'm having is that in Standard View, the "Remaining" column is too narrow, and in "Full View", the "GI Bill Pays" column is too narrow.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Scott, I wasn't having any issues viewing it, but I went ahead and widened all the columns with large monetary amounts. Let me know if it's better now!

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Soco Law wrote:Scott, I wasn't having any issues viewing it, but I went ahead and widened all the columns with large monetary amounts. Let me know if it's better now!

This is weird. Now, in Standard View, the "Remaining" column is empty except for the dollar sign, and in Full View, the "GI Bill Pays" column is empty (again, except for the dollar sign).

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:28 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Soco Law wrote:Scott, I wasn't having any issues viewing it, but I went ahead and widened all the columns with large monetary amounts. Let me know if it's better now!

This is weird. Now, in Standard View, the "Remaining" column is empty except for the dollar sign, and in Full View, the "GI Bill Pays" column is empty (again, except for the dollar sign).

That is odd. It still looks normal to me in both views. I don't have a good guess as to how to fix it. Any ideas? Can you try messing with your own browser zoom functions?

In the meantime, here is the link to it on Google Docs: 2014-15 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon
Last edited by MT Cicero on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Soco Law wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:

That is odd. It still looks normal to me in both views. I don't have a good guess as to how to fix it. Any ideas? Can you try messing with your own browser zoom functions?

In the meantime, here is the link to it on Google Docs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwMLcV ... sp=sharing

Thanks, I'll try that. I'll also try it in a different browser.

ETA - works fine in Chrome, so the problem is with Safari on my end.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:37 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Thanks, I'll try that. I'll also try it in a different browser.

ETA - works fine in Chrome, so the problem is with Safari on my end.

Copy all. Yeah, I'm a Chrome guy.

navykev

Postby navykev » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:40 am

Well let me tell you -- that LSAT yesterday was a bear! I was averaging around 165 on my PTs but yesterday's test was unlike any of the last 15 PTs I have done. The LG section's 4th game was without question the toughest game I've seen -- good thing is -- in the threads about yesterday's test --- everyone -- even the 175+ scorers said they couldn't figure it out -- so I am hoping for a generous curve. I had like 12 mins left when I got to it and literally stared at it for 12 mins - I assumed it was experimental! RC was challenging as well -- the passages weren't particularly tough but the questions were really abstract. Half the time I was like "the author didn't say any of that". I am hoping law schools give me a veteran's curve because I doubt I scored any where near a 160. Anyway, just venting to my veteran brethren - anyone else have a similar experience yesterday?
Last edited by navykev on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 am

That sucks about the LSAT. Two things to bear in mind: first, you may end up pleasantly surprised. I remember walking away from it thinking I had really choked and ended up with a 168, which was in my PT range. Second, if it turns out you didn't do as well as you'd like, don't be afraid to retake. Don't waste that GI Bill goodness on a school below your potential.

navykev

Postby navykev » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:49 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:That sucks about the LSAT. Two things to bear in mind: first, you may end up pleasantly surprised. I remember walking away from it thinking I had really choked and ended up with a 168, which was in my PT range. Second, if it turns out you didn't do as well as you'd like, don't be afraid to retake. Don't waste that GI Bill goodness on a school below your potential.

Good advice. I am not going to take it again for the upcoming cycle. I retire in January and if I don't like my law school options I am going to put off law school for a year and take the June 2015 LSAT after 6 months of just studying -- with no job!

tfinndogm

Postby tfinndogm » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:08 am

navykev wrote:Well let me tell you -- that LSAT yesterday was a bear! I was averaging around 165 on my PTs but yesterday's test was unlike any of the last 15 PTs I have done. The LG section's 4th game was without question the toughest game I've seen -- good thing is -- in the threads about yesterday's test --- everyone -- even the 175+ scorers said they couldn't figure it out -- so I am hoping for a generous curve. I had like 12 mins left when I got to it and literally stared at it for 12 mins - I assumed it was experimental! RC was challenging as well -- the passages weren't particularly tough but the questions were really abstract. Half the time I was like "the author didn't say any of that". I am hoping law schools give me a veteran's curve because I doubt I scored any where near a 160. Anyway, just venting to my veteran brethren - anyone else have a similar experience yesterday?

I wanted to cry afterwards, thinking I was some idiot... but everyone on here is making me feel better. Also - this "veterans curve" seems to exist at some schools. I know a gal who scored 153 and got into at T30 (obvi not T14) and STILL got scholly on top of full GI Bill.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Heh heh heh...maybe this TDY saved me from the apocalypse LSAT.

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Sup Fellow Vets. Just got in to Georgetown Law as a transfer. TTTT 3.54 top 10% URM. 35M, two deployments totaling 27 months, govt contractor in Cuba and AFG for 30 months. I feel like coming from a TTTT, the vet edge got me over the top. Climb to glory.

Kai

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Sicsofs wrote:Sup Fellow Vets. Just got in to Georgetown Law as a transfer. TTTT 3.54 top 10% URM. 35M, two deployments totaling 27 months, govt contractor in Cuba and AFG for 30 months. I feel like coming from a TTTT, the vet edge got me over the top. Climb to glory.

Kai

Congrats - that's a huge leap!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”