Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Max923

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Max923 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Just a heads up to anyone who may not know, the Pat Tillman scholars application closes today at midnight. I just found out about it and knocked it out today. It seems like there's some potential there, particularly as JD candidates don't seem to have been particularly well represented in years past.

http://pattillmanfoundation.org/apply-to-be-a-scholar/

You need your DD-214, financial aid info, and there's two short (400 word) essays about your service.

My apologies if this is redundant/common knowledge here.

tjsmms061906

Postby tjsmms061906 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:21 pm

Max923 wrote:Just a heads up to anyone who may not know, the Pat Tillman scholars application closes today at midnight. I just found out about it and knocked it out today. It seems like there's some potential there, particularly as JD candidates don't seem to have been particularly well represented in years past.

http://pattillmanfoundation.org/apply-to-be-a-scholar/

You need your DD-214, financial aid info, and there's two short (400 word) essays about your service.

My apologies if this is redundant/common knowledge here.

Sent in my application last week. Good luck to everyone who applies.

tjsmms061906

Postby tjsmms061906 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:26 pm

GreentoJD wrote:Don't know how I've missed this, a lot of great advice and veteran-to-veteran support ITT. 3L veteran here at WUSTL.

I wanted to add that WUSTL is expanding YR eligibility for 2014-15 (and moving forward in general) to unlimited/unlimited. Hopefully that will help those considering it. Anyone looking to apply this year is probably going to get an email blast from the school about that soon. It's just part of the great veteran stuff that is developing at the law school and across campus, including special scholarship funds (hopefully) to help those who are not YR eligible.

If you're on the fence about applying send an app their way. Let's just say that they've taken a look at how vets perform during and after law school and seen the light.

Is there anyone at the school we can call to confirm this? With the new YR info not being released until June 1 (well after deposits), I would like to know for sure to ease my mind and help in the decision making process.

nontrad2014

Postby nontrad2014 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:32 pm

encore1101 wrote:I wish I wish Post-9/11 benefits covered bar review. :(

I don't have the bar review, but I do have an active Barbri account if interested.

RoosterCogburn

Postby RoosterCogburn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Long time lurker first time poster.

USAF Officer, BS in Econ, MA in IR.

Just took my diagnostic in my office and scored a 149. Given the hours and the job the only down time I could find was in my office. :x

I missed 17 on the RC...granted my concentration was severely waning by that point.

I've got 19 months until I sit for the LSAT so heres hoping I can point to an enormous 31 point improvement!

uvandy

Postby uvandy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:59 pm

RoosterCogburn wrote:Just took my diagnostic in my office and scored a 149. Given the hours and the job the only down time I could find was in my office. :x
And people wonder why yall are called the chair force. I kid. Welcome to this forum. With proper studying, a 20+ jump is certainly possible. Good luck.

RoosterCogburn

Postby RoosterCogburn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:40 pm

uvandy wrote:
RoosterCogburn wrote:Just took my diagnostic in my office and scored a 149. Given the hours and the job the only down time I could find was in my office. :x
And people wonder why yall are called the chair force. I kid. Welcome to this forum. With proper studying, a 20+ jump is certainly possible. Good luck.

Ha. I can't even argue with that.

The LSAT is like any standardized test so I am excited to get after it.

Volume and specificity will be key.

It's like prepping for a PFT or the GRE or any other monomodal event.

Base Phase
Transition
Peaking

I like the way the LSAT guides under the "LSAT PREP" tab approached the test.

We'll see how it goes!

You folks have all been a great help during my lurking period. Keep the wisdom coming and I hope you all get what you're working toward.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:50 pm

[quote="RoosterCogburn"]
It's like prepping for a PFT or the GRE or any other monomodal event.[quote]

Didn't you read the OP? He's Air Force. Playing Wii Fit will not help his LSAT score.

Sorry for gratuitous interservice schtick.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Any opinions on UT at Austin? I've been looking at CU Boulder and DU but per the advice of the members of this board I've started looking further up the chain.

gabe4455

Postby gabe4455 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:28 pm

I just came across this thread.

-Sergeant (USMC) 2006-2011: OIF & spent a year in South Korea.
-BA from Temple University.
-Attending Pepperdine Law this fall.

Good luck to everyone and their future plans!

MajorKong

Postby MajorKong » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:37 pm

/
Last edited by MajorKong on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

underwear

Postby underwear » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:45 pm

MajorKong wrote:Has anyone here done reserve duty while in law school? Is it worth the time and effort?

I was wondering the same thing. Hope this helps: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=224820

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 pm

underwear wrote:
MajorKong wrote:Has anyone here done reserve duty while in law school? Is it worth the time and effort?

Totally scooped... was just about to post that thread!

MajorKong, there's a good chance we might know some of the same people.

FWIW, I plan on staying in the reserves throughout LS and possibly dropping a direct commission packet after graduation.

MajorKong

Postby MajorKong » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:23 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
underwear wrote:

FWIW, I plan on staying in the reserves throughout LS and possibly dropping a direct commission packet after graduation.

Thanks for the info, pretty much sums up what I was thinking.

Jazzie, are/were you CA? If so then we've undoubtably crossed paths with some of the same folks at some point during our careers as its such a small, tight knit community.

underwear

Postby underwear » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:37 am

Way out of left field, but has this bill actually been passed?

LINK

I see an "effective date" dated in July 1st, but right below that it states "In committee/council":

Effective Date: 7/1/2014
Last Action: 3/4/2014 Senate - CS/CS by Education read 1st time -SJ 115

bdogbb

Postby bdogbb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:48 am

uvandy wrote:

Honestly for military types I expect 20+ points. To most guys coming off of active, studying three hours a day is nothing compared to the shit we've had to do. And that's all it really comes down to, the time you're willing to put into it.

RoosterCogburn

Postby RoosterCogburn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:05 pm

bdogbb wrote:
uvandy wrote:

Honestly for military types I expect 20+ points. To most guys coming off of active, studying three hours a day is nothing compared to the shit we've had to do. And that's all it really comes down to, the time you're willing to put into it.

High volume specificity minus burnout seems to work for most activities structured like the LSAT. It is a known beast.

I have quite a bit of lead time until the test so we will see if the LSAT benefits from a density/volume approach.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:32 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
underwear wrote:

I'm also planning on affiliating with the Reserves. Not only will I get a signing bonus, but drill requirements aren't particularly onerous for my designator. 3 year contract makes perfect fit w/ law school.

graphia

Postby graphia » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm sorry if this has been asked elsewhere in this thread, but does anyone know if the GI Bill will reimburse me for a seat deposit? The website of the school I'll likely be attending says, "Please be aware that the $600.00 tuition deposit will be credited toward your 2014-2015 academic year tuition." This leads me to think there must be some way of getting reimbursed for it, but I'm unsure whether I can get the VA to cover the cost up front, or I need to apply to get reimbursed for it later.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:02 pm

graphia wrote:I'm sorry if this has been asked elsewhere in this thread, but does anyone know if the GI Bill will reimburse me for a seat deposit? The website of the school I'll likely be attending says, "Please be aware that the $600.00 tuition deposit will be credited toward your 2014-2015 academic year tuition." This leads me to think there must be some way of getting reimbursed for it, but I'm unsure whether I can get the VA to cover the cost up front, or I need to apply to get reimbursed for it later.

I think you're going to have to ask the school if they're willing to manually issue you a refund check for your seat deposit. Otherwise, all that's likely to happen is that the school is going to reduce your tuition & fees amount by $600 before presenting the bill to the VA for payment. That will save the VA $600, but it's not going to get the money back into your pocket.

MajorKong

Postby MajorKong » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:10 pm

graphia wrote:I'm sorry if this has been asked elsewhere in this thread, but does anyone know if the GI Bill will reimburse me for a seat deposit? The website of the school I'll likely be attending says, "Please be aware that the $600.00 tuition deposit will be credited toward your 2014-2015 academic year tuition." This leads me to think there must be some way of getting reimbursed for it, but I'm unsure whether I can get the VA to cover the cost up front, or I need to apply to get reimbursed for it later.

Assuming you are 100% post 9/11 qualified and the school bills the VA for the full amount of tuition you should get it back when the rest of your aid is disbursed.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:43 pm

MajorKong wrote:

Assuming you are 100% post 9/11 qualified and the school bills the VA for the full amount of tuition you should get it back when the rest of your aid is disbursed.

That's the part I'm not sure about - will the school bill the VA for the total tuition and fees, and then give the student back $600? Or will they just bill the VA for tuition & fees minus $600? I'm afraid he might run into the same problem that makes school-issued tuition/fees scholarships worthless to a student attending a public school under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:09 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
MajorKong wrote:

That's the part I'm not sure about - will the school bill the VA for the total tuition and fees, and then give the student back $600? Or will they just bill the VA for tuition & fees minus $600? I'm afraid he might run into the same problem that makes school-issued tuition/fees scholarships worthless to a student attending a public school under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

The VA just gets a total bill from the registrar, and list of any school scholarships. Prepayments are not reported. Therefore, you should have a positive balance with the school, and they should cut a check.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:12 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
MajorKong wrote:

The VA just gets a total bill from the registrar, and list of any school scholarships. Prepayments are not reported. Therefore, you should have a positive balance with the school, and they should cut a check.

That's cool - I was thinking the seat deposit refund might be coded similar to a tuition/fees scholarship in the amount of the deposit. Nice to know I should be getting my deposit back (although mine wasn't nearly as high as the OP's).

Magical Trevor

Postby Magical Trevor » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 am

I have a question in the same vein as the seat deposit refund for those of us with 100% GI bill eligibility, YRP, and scholarships that more than cover the full cost of tuition. I was reading the financial aid website earlier and noticed that we are allowed to add the cost of a computer to our financial aid package once while in school. So, is it possible that the cost of that computer could just come out of the funds already committed above the full cost of tuition without taking a loan?

I haven't yet asked my financial aid office, and I feel slightly penny pinchy even wondering, but I'm spoiled by my work laptop that will go away in less than 45 days.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”