Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MT Cicero

Silver

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by MT Cicero » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:12 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote: Edit: Let me do some AFI digging before I spread unconfirmed information.

Edit 2:

Per AFI 24-501 page 26, "A home of selection shipment at Government expense is authorized to any place within the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii)..." for "Retirement, Placement on TDRL, Discharge with Severance or Separation Pay, Involuntary Release from Active Duty with Readjustment or Separation Pay."

It's not really clear on page 23 "Separation From the Service or Relief from Active Duty Except for Discharge with Severance or Separation Pay..." where you can move to. But it says to use Attachment 13, which authorizes them to move your stuff back to your HOR or place entered active duty.
Bingo. For those separating, it's the bolded. Source: just separated. They read me this and told me 1) home of record, or 2) place entered active duty (your MEPS station).
If you wanted to go somewhere further, did they talk to you about paying the difference?
I'm almost positive they said they'll pay UP TO the amount it would cost. Admittedly, I was moving closer than either of the above, so I was less concerned. Still, pretty sure they'll pay the amount of the longest mileage you're "owed" if you move further. That would suck if you moved to a town 20 miles further away from where your HOR is and they were like, "Nope, not a dime!"

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:59 pm

In at my first choice, BC today. I actually got the email about an hour before I took a campus tour and audited a class, so the timing was perfect.

I have contacted my voc rehab rep so hopefully she gets back to me soon so I can get the wheels turning on the whole thing. Anyone familiar with the rep who handles BC? My current case worker who handled my last year at UMass said I will be transferred. I just want to make sure everything is good to go since this whole thing involves moving... and needing money to pay for significantly more expensive housing, and of course the not so cheap tuition for school. I can't leave my job and sign a new lease until I'm certain come fall, I'll be all set.

Starting to stress a bit as my lease is up 1 May, and I need to ask my landlord if I can do month to month rather than sign a full lease.

Mike

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:32 am

navykev wrote:
cmac2210 wrote:
navykev wrote:
DrSpaceman wrote:Do people tend to see a "veteran's bump" more consistently with regard to acceptances or scholarships? How are people's cycles going so far this year?
No question I got a huge "veteran's bump" for acceptances - I served 20 years though -- so might be looked at a little differently. If you want more details -- let me know.
20 years active duty AF, 11 as a paralegal on the jag corps. How do you know you received a benefit from your retired veterans status? Were you getting acceptances at schools outside of you general range (lsat, gpa)? I'm submitting aps now, but I'm still waiting on my lsat. Also, wrt scholarships and YRP... Can you double dip or will the school consider YRP to be your scholarship?
Yeah I got into T14s where I was below LSAT 25th - veteran bump 100% exists IMHO. WRT scholarship question -- Ive seen vets on here use GI Bill, YRP and get a scholly. I got full rides to a couple of T50s without having to use any GI Bill or YRP. Many schools are 100% paid for without any scholarship anyway though - best link ever: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwMLcV ... xnOFU/edit
That google doc is great! Thanks!

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:32 am

navykev wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
DrSpaceman wrote:Do people tend to see a "veteran's bump" more consistently with regard to acceptances or scholarships? How are people's cycles going so far this year?
I saw a bump for acceptances and for job interviews. (HLS, so scholarship is N/A.) It's rare enough at top schools to be something people want to talk about.
On a side note -- very cool to see a NCO at Harvard.
+1

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:38 am

MT Cicero wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:Yeah, there's a decent NU vet TLS presence. BJ above. Cobretti and I are current students.

I also created that spreadsheet above and update it annually. I moved it over to Google (but I think that Scribd one does the trick as well). Here's the new-ish link:

2014-15 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

SemperLegal, if you happen upon this post, you may as well throw the spreadsheet in the OP.

Merry Christmas all! (Especially to those downrange right now)
For those starting law school or still attending next year...remember that public schools will now be fully covered by the G.I. Bill. So, I'll be changing the spreadsheet in the spring to reflect private schools only. I'll also go deeper and list all private schools in the top 100-ish since it'll be easier now with just one G.I. Bill payment amount.
Thanks for putting together the spreadsheet! For the schools that cap the number of vets that they support -- do we just have to ask the school to tell us if they're at their limit? That would really be unfortunate to get into a great school and then they've already max'd out at their 5/10/20/etc vets. I would certainly want to know this before committing anywhere.

Also, I thought Berkeley had a special case because it's not a state-run public school? No?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:40 am

uorbulldog wrote:I was wondering what the general consensus by admissions folks would be for LORs that come from career level or higher PME schools, i.e. for Marine officers- Expeditionary Warfare School or Command and Staff College; as well as the other service equivalents. I'm talking about non-resident seminar programs, not the full-time degree granting version. So usually it's a retired O5-O7 leading a seminar that is generally focused on lectures, discussions, and military sand-table style exercises.. so not exactly the most traditionally academically strenuous courses. But I suppose it kind of mixes what would be a work experience or boss LOR but w/ a little more academic flavor? This would be in addition to a direct supervisor or CO letter of course.
I sent in one from one such person (in addition to a professor and my CO). The one from this school/seminar person kept it strictly academic, almost like my school one. They commented on intellectual aptitude, writing/project/whatever is tested and graded, class participation, etc.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:48 am

hokie6260 wrote:I am currently working on getting my transcripts sent to LSAC for next cycle. Do I need to get my Joint Services Transcript summarizing some of the credit I received from military training/education? I can't seem to find in the list of options from the drop down menus where this applies. However, when I went to submit my JST, there was an option for sending it to LSAC. Confused? Me too!
In the Navy we have a "STAR" transcript which awards ACE recommendations on a credit value for Navy courses I took, which my UG used as transfer credits. HOWEVER, LSAC did not want it because they aren't graded/actual classes. Now if you went to a military school for actual college classes (and not an advanced course in intel reporting for example), then that military school should send in transcripts. As an ex, I think someone mentioned the AF community college....

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:04 am

PartTimer78 wrote:
BNA wrote:My experience with most gov positions is that they are straight, 40hr/week obligations. When you've done your 8 hours, you put your shit down and don't think about it until the next morning. As long as it's not too high stress, and if you had to work full time, I think fed work would be wise.
Going to school part time while working 40 hours a week certainly isn't the most enjoyable way to do it, but its worth it. Not all gigs are the same, but if you do the straight 40 hours a week with one day off every two weeks, it is definitely manageable. The work is demanding when you are in the office, but for most places I'm familiar with, you check it all at the door when 5pm rolls around.
^^They're both right.

The government is strict about you not processing more than your prescribed hours in your 2-week pay period (80-88 hours) unless you ask, justify and get approved for overtime -- and you better have a good reason. It is unlike the military and the private sector, where there's no expectation of a set schedule. I have seen both sides, though. For the people that want to climb the government ladder, I know that they working more than their time sheet says. But the people who are not trying to climb do their job in 80-88 hours and go home -- they are the majority in the 3 Gov agencies I've worked at.

I worked FT and went to Georgetown UG FT and at one point had a PT internship on the Hill. It sucks, but you can do it. I think being a vet, we are conditioned for FAR WORSE! My civilian friends thought I was insane, but it felt normal to be stretched thin and void of sleep for 6 consecutive semesters. To me, it just felt like a hard tour. And I have many other DC-area vet friends who've done the same or more than me for more than 6 semesters.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:08 am

mike0331 wrote:In at my first choice, BC today. I actually got the email about an hour before I took a campus tour and audited a class, so the timing was perfect.

Mike
Congrats, Mike! That's a great school.

And to everyone else, sorry for all of the posts -- I've neglected my participation in this thread and wanted to catch up!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:13 pm

How would everyone feel about adding a spreadsheet like they do in the class threads that would be ongoing throughout the years for future vets? I can't search for military service on LSN and I don't know how else we could query on historical information on military personnel. I do believe that we have unique circumstances that has certainly given me a boost (I assume) during my cycle. Thoughts?

My apologies if this was addressed anywhere ITT already.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:22 pm

So I heard I actually won't be deploying...Big Blue coming through for the first time! (I'm a poet, I didn't even know it.)

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:30 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:So I heard I actually won't be deploying...Big Blue coming through for the first time! (I'm a poet, I didn't even know it.)
Good to hear!

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:57 am

FairchildFLT wrote:So I heard I actually won't be deploying...Big Blue coming through for the first time! (I'm a poet, I didn't even know it.)
That's good news for SEO!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:59 am

Has anyone successfully gotten a school to exempt you for not providing parental info (for the ones that require it)? My parents laughed hysterically at the idea of being included in my financial aid decision (fafsa considers me independent).

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:14 am

DiniMae wrote:Has anyone successfully gotten a school to exempt you for not providing parental info (for the ones that require it)? My parents laughed hysterically at the idea of being included in my financial aid decision (fafsa considers me independent).
Even at 39 years old and after serving over 20 years in the military with retirement income - I still have to list my 62 year old mother's income if I want to apply for need based aid at GULC.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:46 am

navykev wrote:
DiniMae wrote:Has anyone successfully gotten a school to exempt you for not providing parental info (for the ones that require it)? My parents laughed hysterically at the idea of being included in my financial aid decision (fafsa considers me independent).
Even at 39 years old and after serving over 20 years in the military with retirement income - I still have to list my 62 year old mother's income if I want to apply for need based aid at GULC.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:58 pm

I didn't have to put down any of my parents' financial information, but with an EFC of $55k, maybe the site knew that need-based aid was off the table?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:12 pm

navykev wrote:
Aren't you just GI Billing that shit, Master Chief?

Also, PM me when you're in DC if you want to talk GULC.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:28 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
navykev wrote:

I thought GULC's YRP contributions still leave a remaining balance of 10k or so?

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:

Yep - GI bill/YRP is going to cover most of it for me. Just pointing out that according to the brief we got - if I needed it - I'd have to list my mother. No way I'd apply for that though - to me that's for some poor kid that needs it.

I was at the open house last week but I knew you guys would be busy with a new semester. Had a good time - love the place. Lots of vets at the open house - can't wait to start!
Last edited by navykev on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:58 am, edited 6 times in total.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 am

DiniMae wrote:
I thought GULC's YRP contributions still leave a remaining balance of 10k or so?
Actually around 12k or so and I am sure that will increase by 1-3k per year as tuition increases. I was too smart with my money (shame on me) to get any kind of assistance - so I am covering that myself. I wouldn't feel right about taking it away from someone that really needs it anyway. 40k a year plus the housing allowance is generous enough for me!

Although, I think one of my goals while at GULC will be to try to convince them to get inline with most of the other T14s and up the YRP to cover the entire cost for vets. Not sure how much influence study body vets have on that but it appears it was raised recently due to their efforts. Thanks for that by the way! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alhe5015

New

Post by Alhe5015 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:33 pm

Can some high speed warrior PM me regarding what the deal is with VocRehab? I just got a 50% rating and I was intending to use the post 9/11 for Law school..

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Alhe5015 wrote:Can some high speed warrior PM me regarding what the deal is with VocRehab? I just got a 50% rating and I was intending to use the post 9/11 for Law school..
Are you 100% eligible for the post 9/11 GI Bill? - that adds the Yellow Ribbon Program to the discussion.

Here is a link with some facts about VocRehab that answers some post 9/11 GI Bill questions - some interesting stuff about the housing allowance rate between the two. http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/eli ... lement.asp
Last edited by navykev on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Am I mistaken in thinking Voc Rehab covers 100% tuition or do the same YRP numbers come into play for both Voc Rehab and Post 9-11/GI Bill?

Alhe5015

New

Post by Alhe5015 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:51 pm

navykev wrote:
Alhe5015 wrote:Can some high speed warrior PM me regarding what the deal is with VocRehab? I just got a 50% rating and I was intending to use the post 9/11 for Law school..
Are you 100% eligible for the post 9/11 GI Bill? - that adds the Yellow Ribbon Program to the discussion.

Here is a link with some facts about VocRehab that answers some post 9/11 GI Bill questions - some interesting stuff about the housing allowance rate between the two. http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/eli ... lement.asp
Yeah I am 100% eligible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”