Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
dannyswo
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby dannyswo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:25 am

hawkeyelaw wrote:Any Vets at Iowa?

Aw, I was thinking you were an E-2 guy. :lol:

User avatar
dannyswo
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby dannyswo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:27 am

One more paycheck to go. Getting the GI Bill Eligibility certificate was a pain in the ass, but I finally got on the right website and got it through ebenefits. I put in applications on 3 different websites I think. Confusing as hell.

User avatar
laqueredup
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby laqueredup » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:27 am

Whelp, resignation denied, no more paying back grad school in this retention environment. Throwing some law school seats back in the pot, hopefully they decide to fill them with more vets off the waitlists! Maybe see you guys in a couple years!

Wipfelder
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Wipfelder » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 am

laqueredup wrote:Whelp, resignation denied, no more paying back grad school in this retention environment. Throwing some law school seats back in the pot, hopefully they decide to fill them with more vets off the waitlists! Maybe see you guys in a couple years!


Um, what?

User avatar
laqueredup
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby laqueredup » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 am

Wipfelder wrote:
laqueredup wrote:Whelp, resignation denied, no more paying back grad school in this retention environment. Throwing some law school seats back in the pot, hopefully they decide to fill them with more vets off the waitlists! Maybe see you guys in a couple years!


Um, what?


Historically in the online grad school I did off duty , you had a 3 year obliserve, but could pay back the cost instead of you decided to resign before it was up. Apparently that was always at the discretion of the personnel bureau, and with the airlines hiring, they are now digging their claws in as hard as possible. So " no thanks, keep your 10k and take another set of orders!". Of course it took them a whole 11 months from submitting my resignation to let me know this... At least my lsat will still be good... Be careful letting Uncle Sam pay for things fellows.
Last edited by laqueredup on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wipfelder
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Wipfelder » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 am

laqueredup wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
laqueredup wrote:Whelp, resignation denied, no more paying back grad school in this retention environment. Throwing some law school seats back in the pot, hopefully they decide to fill them with more vets off the waitlists! Maybe see you guys in a couple years!


Um, what?


Historically in the online grad school I did off duty , you had a 3 year obliserve, but could pay back the cost instead of you decided to resign before it was up. Apparently that was always at the discretion of the personnel bureau, and with the airlines hiring, they are now digging their claws in as hard as possible. So " no thanks, keep your 10k and take another set of orders!"


So are you going to defer, or sit out the cycle and re-apply in a year or two?

User avatar
calpolisci2016
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby calpolisci2016 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:47 am

dannyswo wrote:One more paycheck to go. Getting the GI Bill Eligibility certificate was a pain in the ass, but I finally got on the right website and got it through ebenefits. I put in applications on 3 different websites I think. Confusing as hell.


Hey how did you do this?

User avatar
laqueredup
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby laqueredup » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:57 am

Wipfelder wrote: .

I thought of deferring but with my SO's career its hard to look 2 to 5 years ahead and lock ourselves into one city this far out. I'll be withdrawing and reapply for c/o 2022

hawkeyelaw
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:48 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby hawkeyelaw » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:36 pm

dannyswo wrote:
hawkeyelaw wrote:Any Vets at Iowa?

Aw, I was thinking you were an E-2 guy. :lol:


I spend most of my days wandering around in the bushes looking up at airplanes. Or at least I dream of doing that, I mostly sit at a desk and red pen LOIs.

User avatar
dannyswo
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby dannyswo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:44 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
dannyswo wrote:One more paycheck to go. Getting the GI Bill Eligibility certificate was a pain in the ass, but I finally got on the right website and got it through ebenefits. I put in applications on 3 different websites I think. Confusing as hell.


Hey how did you do this?

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

Go here.
Left side of page under Apply, select education benefits. It's about 10 minutes to fill out the form. Takes a couple of weeks and they will mail it to you. You take a copy to your school (I scanned and emailed mine).

User avatar
dannyswo
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby dannyswo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:47 pm

The Education Hotline magic number I was given at TAPS from the VA rep was: (918) 781-5678

I didn't have to use it, but that's what the VA rep said to call to sort out everything.

Wipfelder
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Wipfelder » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:48 pm

dannyswo wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
dannyswo wrote:One more paycheck to go. Getting the GI Bill Eligibility certificate was a pain in the ass, but I finally got on the right website and got it through ebenefits. I put in applications on 3 different websites I think. Confusing as hell.


Hey how did you do this?

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

Go here.
Left side of page under Apply, select education benefits. It's about 10 minutes to fill out the form. Takes a couple of weeks and they will mail it to you. You take a copy to your school (I scanned and emailed mine).


Damn. That was some Golden State level action.

User avatar
dannyswo
Posts: 3728
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby dannyswo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Done. Last day of my tour. I fly home in 46 hours to out process.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 3797
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby haus » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Congrats!

AJordan
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby AJordan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:33 pm

dannyswo wrote:Done. Last day of my tour. I fly home in 46 hours to out process.


Jelly School population: Me

23 months and a wakeup :cry:

KPUSN07
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby KPUSN07 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm

How difficult is it to get a job as a US attorney - veteran status?

navylawhopeful
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:44 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby navylawhopeful » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi all--Yale has historically lagged behind its peer institutions in Yellow Ribbon contributions, but I received a great update from the Yale Financial Aid office today that some of you may be interested in.

Starting this upcoming academic year, Yale will be increasing their Yellow Ribbon contribution to match Harvard & Stanford, ensuring "a vet who qualifies for 100% of the Post 9/11 GI benefit and who applies for and is eligible for Yellow Ribbon, will have 100% of tuition and mandatory fees (including health insurance) covered." Hope this is of benefit to some of you!

User avatar
ponderingmeerkat
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:How difficult is it to get a job as a US attorney - veteran status?


My understanding is most (all?) BigFed legal jobs are exempted from vet-preference hiring. But, I've also heard it's a decent tiebreaker from time-to-time.

Ultimately, you'll need the law school pedigree and GPA that's generally inline with AUSA hiring. So...difficult but not impossible. But don't count of vet status as a blanket qualification waiver. AUSA jobs are pretty damn competitive.

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 675
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby MT Cicero » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 pm

navylawhopeful wrote:Hi all--Yale has historically lagged behind its peer institutions in Yellow Ribbon contributions, but I received a great update from the Yale Financial Aid office today that some of you may be interested in.

Starting this upcoming academic year, Yale will be increasing their Yellow Ribbon contribution to match Harvard & Stanford, ensuring "a vet who qualifies for 100% of the Post 9/11 GI benefit and who applies for and is eligible for Yellow Ribbon, will have 100% of tuition and mandatory fees (including health insurance) covered." Hope this is of benefit to some of you!


This is great news! I'll be updating the 2017-18 spreadsheet as soon as all the Yellow Ribbon amounts are updated on the VA site. But from the first time I collected the information in 2013-14, it's awesome how much better the schools have gotten across the board. Columbia now will be the only T14 law school that isn't completely free for 100% GI Bill vets, and that's only because their tuition jumped to outpace the GI Bill + YRP amount (which used to cover the whole shot a couple years back).

AJordan
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby AJordan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:47 am

MT Cicero wrote:
navylawhopeful wrote:Hi all--Yale has historically lagged behind its peer institutions in Yellow Ribbon contributions, but I received a great update from the Yale Financial Aid office today that some of you may be interested in.

Starting this upcoming academic year, Yale will be increasing their Yellow Ribbon contribution to match Harvard & Stanford, ensuring "a vet who qualifies for 100% of the Post 9/11 GI benefit and who applies for and is eligible for Yellow Ribbon, will have 100% of tuition and mandatory fees (including health insurance) covered." Hope this is of benefit to some of you!


This is great news! I'll be updating the 2017-18 spreadsheet as soon as all the Yellow Ribbon amounts are updated on the VA site. But from the first time I collected the information in 2013-14, it's awesome how much better the schools have gotten across the board. Columbia now will be the only T14 law school that isn't completely free for 100% GI Bill vets, and that's only because their tuition jumped to outpace the GI Bill + YRP amount (which used to cover the whole shot a couple years back).


Just wanna say thanks for that SS. You're doing more for Veterans with that thing than most organizations do.

KPUSN07
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby KPUSN07 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:How difficult is it to get a job as a US attorney - veteran status?


My understanding is most (all?) BigFed legal jobs are exempted from vet-preference hiring. But, I've also heard it's a decent tiebreaker from time-to-time.

Ultimately, you'll need the law school pedigree and GPA that's generally inline with AUSA hiring. So...difficult but not impossible. But don't count of vet status as a blanket qualification waiver. AUSA jobs are pretty damn competitive.


Good to know and thanks... I wasn't sure if vets had preference for legal work as well.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 am

KPUSN07 wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:How difficult is it to get a job as a US attorney - veteran status?


My understanding is most (all?) BigFed legal jobs are exempted from vet-preference hiring. But, I've also heard it's a decent tiebreaker from time-to-time.

Ultimately, you'll need the law school pedigree and GPA that's generally inline with AUSA hiring. So...difficult but not impossible. But don't count of vet status as a blanket qualification waiver. AUSA jobs are pretty damn competitive.


Good to know and thanks... I wasn't sure if vets had preference for legal work as well.


Unfortunately no. Won't hurt though.

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Posts: 8720
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:39 am

MT Cicero wrote:
navylawhopeful wrote:Hi all--Yale has historically lagged behind its peer institutions in Yellow Ribbon contributions, but I received a great update from the Yale Financial Aid office today that some of you may be interested in.

Starting this upcoming academic year, Yale will be increasing their Yellow Ribbon contribution to match Harvard & Stanford, ensuring "a vet who qualifies for 100% of the Post 9/11 GI benefit and who applies for and is eligible for Yellow Ribbon, will have 100% of tuition and mandatory fees (including health insurance) covered." Hope this is of benefit to some of you!


This is great news! I'll be updating the 2017-18 spreadsheet as soon as all the Yellow Ribbon amounts are updated on the VA site. But from the first time I collected the information in 2013-14, it's awesome how much better the schools have gotten across the board. Columbia now will be the only T14 law school that isn't completely free for 100% GI Bill vets, and that's only because their tuition jumped to outpace the GI Bill + YRP amount (which used to cover the whole shot a couple years back).


Hey, Semper hasn't posted since January and the spreadsheet on the OP is a year old- do you want me to give you the thread so you can get that stuff on the front page?

KPUSN07
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby KPUSN07 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Can you submit supplemental materials - for example, FITREPS/EVALs, Awards, etc....? I'm guessing these materials would need to be mailed to the school (if allowed)?

User avatar
Dcc617
Posts: 2221
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby Dcc617 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:29 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:Can you submit supplemental materials - for example, FITREPS/EVALs, Awards, etc....? I'm guessing these materials would need to be mailed to the school (if allowed)?


Wouldn't you just put awards on your resume? I don't know if schools would give a shit if you were top blocked or whatever with your evals. I don't know anyone who submitted them to the school.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests