Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Shib26

Bronze

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by Shib26 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:15 am

Nagster5 wrote:
Shib26 wrote:I got an e-mail from Penn yesterday inviting me to the Penn Law Military visit day, I'm sure a lot of you did as well. Now there's probably a 0% chance I can make it to Philly on the 15th but it did get me thinking. Have any of you gone to these types of event before, and if so what are your thoughts? Specifically, do you think it in anyway could positively benefit you in the admissions process?
Making a personal connection with a teacher or admissions member is never a bad thing. It would definitely help against a YP.

ETA: Also, schools should not be able to email you from their admissions account when your expecting a decision any day. First this and then Berkeley emailed me today that they were excited to announce...(opens email) their new website!. This must be intentional cruelty.
No joke, got the same email. Same reaction. I'm sure they're all chuckling about this.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Anyone here have experience using a VA loan for tuition/CoL?

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Nagster5 wrote:Anyone here have experience using a VA loan for tuition/CoL?
I don't think that's possible... I think VA loans are for home purchase, home construction, home refinance... etc. Basically for the purpose of home ownership... not other things.

A quick google search didn't reveal any additional possible uses. I suppose I could have overlooked something; I didn't spend a long time searching.
Last edited by njkga on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:37 pm

njkga wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:Anyone here have experience using a VA loan for tuition/CoL?
I don't think that's possible... I think VA loans are for home purchase, home construction, home refinance... etc. Basically for the purpose of home ownership... not other things.

A quick google search didn't reveal any additional possible uses. I suppose I could have overlooked something, I didn't spend a long time searching.
Yeah that's what I thought, but someone just told me you could. Maybe they were talking about a special interest rate for vets on private student loans? Or it's possible they are very stupid. I'll have to follow up.

mimmsy

New

Post by mimmsy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Hey. Current active Navy NCO. F, obtained BA before enlisting (it was the recession...) with a high GPA. Coming up on the last year of my contract. Looking at applying this fall, gearing up for either a June or a Sept LSAT take. PI/Gov. Will be scattering apps over the T14. Just checking in. Good luck to everyone on their cycle. Would love to hear any tips/things you wish you knew at the beginning of your cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BNA

Bronze

Post by BNA » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:29 pm

doobleykah

Bronze

Post by doobleykah » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Its about that time to begin negotiating scholarships so if any of you have outcomes or other information that could be relevant to us please share it on here. I am still waiting to hear from a few schools but i plan to aggressively negotiate for unrestricted scholarships.

Also for those of you that this might be relevant to, pay careful attention to the spreadsheet on OP, specifically the number of slots available for Yellow Ribbon. It would be prudent to not assume that the GI BIll will cover all costs before confirming yellow ribbon status with your schools.

Good luck to all.

Echoduck

New

Post by Echoduck » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:49 pm

mimmsy wrote:Hey. Current active Navy NCO. F, obtained BA before enlisting (it was the recession...) with a high GPA. Coming up on the last year of my contract. Looking at applying this fall, gearing up for either a June or a Sept LSAT take. PI/Gov. Will be scattering apps over the T14. Just checking in. Good luck to everyone on their cycle. Would love to hear any tips/things you wish you knew at the beginning of your cycle.
I highly recommend utilizing Service 2 School (http://service2school.org). I found them extremely helpful.

Echoduck

New

Post by Echoduck » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:51 pm

doobleykah wrote:Its about that time to begin negotiating scholarships so if any of you have outcomes or other information that could be relevant to us please share it on here. I am still waiting to hear from a few schools but i plan to aggressively negotiate for unrestricted scholarships.

Also for those of you that this might be relevant to, pay careful attention to the spreadsheet on OP, specifically the number of slots available for Yellow Ribbon. It would be prudent to not assume that the GI BIll will cover all costs before confirming yellow ribbon status with your schools.

Good luck to all.
Have you gotten any scholarships at public schools? I haven't received any scholly info from any of the schools where my GI Bill covers 100% tuition, only private schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doobleykah

Bronze

Post by doobleykah » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Echoduck wrote:
mimmsy wrote:Hey. Current active Navy NCO. F, obtained BA before enlisting (it was the recession...) with a high GPA. Coming up on the last year of my contract. Looking at applying this fall, gearing up for either a June or a Sept LSAT take. PI/Gov. Will be scattering apps over the T14. Just checking in. Good luck to everyone on their cycle. Would love to hear any tips/things you wish you knew at the beginning of your cycle.
I highly recommend utilizing Service 2 School (http://service2school.org). I found them extremely helpful.
And i found them completely useless, so temper expectations

mimmsy

New

Post by mimmsy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:57 pm

Echoduck wrote:I highly recommend utilizing Service 2 School (http://service2school.org). I found them extremely helpful.
Yes, I appreciate it! I've already sent an email their way and received a response. Putting together my first draft documentation to move forward.

mimmsy

New

Post by mimmsy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:59 pm

doobleykah wrote:And i found them completely useless, so temper expectations
Fun! I'll keep that in mind, thank you. Despite their advice, I know I'm the final word when it comes to my admissions decisions.

knowcompinc

New

Post by knowcompinc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:30 pm

SemperLegal wrote:UPDATED SPREADSHEET FOR 2015-16

Here it is: 2015-16 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

Of note:

1. Thanks for all your service.
2. No shitty inter-branch rivalry, it makes us look bad.
3. Post 9/11 covers the entire cost of public grad schools (its been clarified by the VA, but there was some confusion after v 2.0 came out.

Nonrate 7% 7%
NCO/Petty Officer 51% 51%
SNCO/Chief 1% 1%
Ungodly Ossifer/Enlisted Hybrid 0%
Company Grade Officer 26%
Field Grade Officer 5%
Fucking scarily important 7%
Total votes : 56

Schools that waive application fees for Vets' (not all inclusive):
Lewis and Clark
ASU
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Colorado
Denver
UCONN
FIU
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Tulane
Richmond
Widener
William and Mary
UVA
NYU
Chicago
Georgetown
University of Washington
Berkeley
George Washington
Emory
Vanderbilt
Wyoming
Montana
Penn State
UMASS

No Waiver:
Columbia
Michigan
Cornell
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Duke

Requested shoutout to http://www.service2school.org They say they are a nonprofit by vets for vets that specializes in getting fellow vets into elite schools (Yale,Harvard, Stanford, etc). Recently they claim to have gotten an Army Intel officer into Stanford with a 160 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA. They help with test prep, personal statement, resumes, interview prep....everything.

And we don't charge vets a dime.
If you're a non resident of let's say California, will post 9/11 cover 100% tuition at UCLA, UCDavis, UCIrvine etc...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

doobleykah

Bronze

Post by doobleykah » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:54 pm

knowcompinc wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:UPDATED SPREADSHEET FOR 2015-16

Here it is: 2015-16 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

Of note:

1. Thanks for all your service.
2. No shitty inter-branch rivalry, it makes us look bad.
3. Post 9/11 covers the entire cost of public grad schools (its been clarified by the VA, but there was some confusion after v 2.0 came out.

Nonrate 7% 7%
NCO/Petty Officer 51% 51%
SNCO/Chief 1% 1%
Ungodly Ossifer/Enlisted Hybrid 0%
Company Grade Officer 26%
Field Grade Officer 5%
Fucking scarily important 7%
Total votes : 56

Schools that waive application fees for Vets' (not all inclusive):
Lewis and Clark
ASU
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Colorado
Denver
UCONN
FIU
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Tulane
Richmond
Widener
William and Mary
UVA
NYU
Chicago
Georgetown
University of Washington
Berkeley
George Washington
Emory
Vanderbilt
Wyoming
Montana
Penn State
UMASS

No Waiver:
Columbia
Michigan
Cornell
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Duke

Requested shoutout to http://www.service2school.org They say they are a nonprofit by vets for vets that specializes in getting fellow vets into elite schools (Yale,Harvard, Stanford, etc). Recently they claim to have gotten an Army Intel officer into Stanford with a 160 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA. They help with test prep, personal statement, resumes, interview prep....everything.

And we don't charge vets a dime.
If you're a non resident of let's say California, will post 9/11 cover 100% tuition at UCLA, UCDavis, UCIrvine etc...

In simple terms, using the Post 9/11 will require public institutions to charge you at in state tuition. If you are 100% eligible then any undergraduate, or graduate public institution tuition will be completely paid for under post 9/11.

Those are public schools so yes tuition will be covered.

The spreadsheet can be misleading because of the difference between public and private. The above applies only to public schools. GI bill contribution to a private school is capped around 21k or something, however many/most schools are yellow ribbon participants. However do not assume that because your school is a YRParticipant that means you will be covered (If you choose a private). Ensure your schools YR isnt capped and/or have restricted number of slots.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:11 pm

If I'm only eligible for a % of the GI Bill, I still get a % of the total tuition at public schools, not a % of the cap, correct?

doobleykah

Bronze

Post by doobleykah » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Nagster5 wrote:If I'm only eligible for a % of the GI Bill, I still get a % of the total tuition at public schools, not a % of the cap, correct?
My understanding is that % eligibility pro-rates months - not dollars. So a 100% eligible vet would be entitled to 36 months of benefits whereas an 80% eligible veteran would be entitled to 24 months of benefits. in a calendar year you can expect to use 9 months of benefits (unless you take summer classes to keep your BAH coming - as some people have done). Most students who have saved their GI Bill for law school with full eligibility will can expect to leave law school with 9 months of eligibility remaining.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/fac ... l_info.pdf

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:27 pm

doobleykah wrote:
Echoduck wrote:
That's a bummer that you found them useless.

Results must vary from ambassador to ambassador. I had a great experience. The person I was paired with gave me great advice and guidance. It felt good to have someone in my corner who would offer honest feedback. She was extremely helpful when it came to effectively translating my military experience into civilian lingo. I cannot say enough great things about S2S.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Billy Madison

Bronze

Post by Billy Madison » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:44 pm

OLitch wrote:
doobleykah wrote:
Echoduck wrote:

Results must vary from ambassador to ambassador. I had a great experience. The person I was paired with gave me great advice and guidance. It felt good to have someone in my corner who would offer honest feedback. She was extremely helpful when it came to effectively translating my military experience into civilian lingo. I cannot say enough great things about S2S.
I also found S2S very helpful. I wish they did more beyond just setting you up with a single ambassador, but the help I received with my resume and PS was great. Just having another set of eyes with a background similar to my own to revise things was great. I sought out some additional advice from other ambassadors on my own as well. If you're going to refer to a free organization helping vets as "useless", I think you're obligated to be a bit more specific in your complaint. Taking potshots online is pretty low IMO...

doobleykah

Bronze

Post by doobleykah » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Billy Madison wrote:
OLitch wrote:
doobleykah wrote:
Echoduck wrote:

I also found S2S very helpful. I wish they did more beyond just setting you up with a single ambassador, but the help I received with my resume and PS was great. Just having another set of eyes with a background similar to my own to revise things was great. I sought out some additional advice from other ambassadors on my own as well. If you're going to refer to a free organization helping vets as "useless", I think you're obligated to be a bit more specific in your complaint. Taking potshots online is pretty low IMO...

I waited 4 weeks after contact to be assigned an ambassador. The ambassador waited 2 more weeks to reach out to me. I waited to submit applications for the entire period. The ambassador who was assigned to me was in no way qualified to give me advice or direction. I submitted without their assistance and have had an excellent cycle so far. They were of 0 use to me. They were not useFUL therefor, they were useless. Im glad your experience was better than mine, but if all anyone posts on here is how great they were, then the next guy whose ball gets dropped might be even more disappointed than myself.

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:09 pm

doobleykah wrote:
Billy Madison wrote:
OLitch wrote:
doobleykah wrote:
Echoduck wrote:

I waited 4 weeks after contact to be assigned an ambassador. The ambassador waited 2 more weeks to reach out to me. I waited to submit applications for the entire period. The ambassador who was assigned to me was in no way qualified to give me advice or direction. I submitted without their assistance and have had an excellent cycle so far. They were of 0 use to me. They were not useFUL therefor, they were useless. Im glad your experience was better than mine, but if all anyone posts on here is how great they were, then the next guy whose ball gets dropped might be even more disappointed than myself.
Mine was worse. I sent all my info in and then they paired me up with an ambassador. I sent her all my stuff and never even heard back. I will volunteer for S2S because I think it's a good idea, but their follow-through can be spotty. They don't seem to keep their ambassadors on a very tight leash. If you don't hear back try following back up with the organization itself and get reassigned, I got so caught up in the admissions game I never did, which is on me.

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:14 am

doobleykah wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:If I'm only eligible for a % of the GI Bill, I still get a % of the total tuition at public schools, not a % of the cap, correct?
My understanding is that % eligibility pro-rates months - not dollars. So a 100% eligible vet would be entitled to 36 months of benefits whereas an 80% eligible veteran would be entitled to 24 months of benefits. in a calendar year you can expect to use 9 months of benefits (unless you take summer classes to keep your BAH coming - as some people have done). Most students who have saved their GI Bill for law school with full eligibility will can expect to leave law school with 9 months of eligibility remaining.

This isn't exactly true. The way I understand it, depending on how many months of active duty you serve, you are entitled to a certain % of your benefits for the whole 36-months. I have an appt next week with a VA guy on base to clarify all of this so I can report back what I learn.

I know I'm eligible for 80% of the GI Bill, so I'll get 80% of my tuition paid each year to a public school, 80% of a monthly housing allowance, and 80% of a book stipend while I'm in school. I also read that as of January 1, 2016, all participating public schools are required to give a veteran in-state tuition if he/she has been out of the military less than 3 years. That's huge.

Again, I'm not entirely sure yet if the benefit is good for the whole 36 months yet, but I'm positive it pays at the percentage you are eligible for. So worst case for me is I would get 80% paid for 28.8 months, but I'm still pretty sure the benefit is 36 months regardless. I'll know more next week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

virtus26

New

Post by virtus26 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:46 am

Navyhornguy wrote:
doobleykah wrote:

This isn't exactly true. The way I understand it, depending on how many months of active duty you serve, you are entitled to a certain % of your benefits for the whole 36-months. I have an appt next week with a VA guy on base to clarify all of this so I can report back what I learn.

I know I'm eligible for 80% of the GI Bill, so I'll get 80% of my tuition paid each year to a public school, 80% of a monthly housing allowance, and 80% of a book stipend while I'm in school. I also read that as of January 1, 2016, all participating public schools are required to give a veteran in-state tuition if he/she has been out of the military less than 3 years. That's huge.

Again, I'm not entirely sure yet if the benefit is good for the whole 36 months yet, but I'm positive it pays at the percentage you are eligible for. So worst case for me is I would get 80% paid for 28.8 months, but I'm still pretty sure the benefit is 36 months regardless. I'll know more next week.
Navyhornguy, this is how I understand it as well -- certain % for the whole 36 months. God I hope it isn't the former; I only have 50%.

biglaw21

New

Post by biglaw21 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:22 am

Hey everyone just found this site as well as this thread and could not be more relieved to know there are other veterans out there hoping to attend law school!

Quick stats:
E5 Navy, 4 years active duty, 2 left
Job was IT
GPA 3.8 right now (graduating in August)
Taking the LSAT hopefully in September (hitting mid to high 160s on the practice tests)
No deployments (transferring and hitting tail end of one)

I do have a quick question if anyone of you might be able to share some insight. When I go to register for an LSAC account and choose my school it doesn't show up in the dropdown. Anyone know why this might be? It is a relatively new school being founded in 2008 and at first I thought it was because of the accreditation. However, it holds the same accreditation as most of the other ones in the state that are in the dropdown boxes. Not sure how to even proceed if I can't register for an account because of this....any advice helps! Thanks.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:23 am

Navyhornguy wrote:
doobleykah wrote:

Its 80% of tuition, bah, and book bonus for 36 months.

For public schools, its 80% of in state tuition, regardless of your status

OtterLaw

Silver

Post by OtterLaw » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:50 am

SemperLegal wrote:
Navyhornguy wrote:
doobleykah wrote:

Its 80% of tuition, bah, and book bonus for 36 months.

For public schools, its 80% of in state tuition, regardless of your status
^what do you mean by regardless of your status?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”