Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
storpappa

Silver

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by storpappa » Tue May 12, 2015 2:37 pm

Vet and splitter will help but you have to get the LSAT score before those can be explained in a great PS

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:24 pm

Good afternoon,
Im trying to figure out which schools I should target for 2016. I was a Nuke ET submariner for four years, lots of UG student orgs and post grad volunteer work including Mission Continues, and pretty solid recommendations. I will only have the GI Bill at 100% for 9 months and I have a wife and son. I know I will apply at UT cuz of Hazelwood. Im not attached to any location, but I would prefer a good clerkship following law school. Also considering JD/MBA programs, but JD is more important.
Stats- LSAT: 173
GPA: 3.56 (local UT satellite school)
UG: BBA Finance
Career since UG: Corp finance Lockheed Martin

Im not sure how much the softs help an application but I know my GPA isn't competitive. Any help is greatly appreciated.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:26 pm

Target the T14 plus UT, and a few sub-T14's where you could handle the likely outcomes with a full ride.

You'll do very well.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue May 12, 2015 11:30 pm

bberry32 wrote:Im not sure how much the softs help an application but I know my GPA isn't competitive. Any help is greatly appreciated.
The only soft you'll need is that LSAT! HSY are probably out but everything else in T-14 probably ranges from toss-up to pretty good shot. I went to Berkeley with a slightly lower GPA and much lower LSAT. Don't self select away from any place you'd like to attend (including HSY. You never know if they have to fill that bubblehead quota!)

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue May 12, 2015 11:43 pm

bberry32 wrote:Good afternoon,
Im trying to figure out which schools I should target for 2016. I was a Nuke ET submariner for four years, lots of UG student orgs and post grad volunteer work including Mission Continues, and pretty solid recommendations. I will only have the GI Bill at 100% for 9 months and I have a wife and son. I know I will apply at UT cuz of Hazelwood. Im not attached to any location, but I would prefer a good clerkship following law school. Also considering JD/MBA programs, but JD is more important.

Im not sure how much the softs help an application but I know my GPA isn't competitive. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Guessing you're in everywhere with good recs / PS.

eta: I would consider ED at NU for the $$$ (if they still offer it)!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Wed May 13, 2015 7:47 am

bberry32 wrote:Good afternoon,

Freaking nukes and their big brains! Congrats on the great LSAT score! I got money from T14s to stack on top of my GI Bill with a slightly higher GPA and a MUCH lower LSAT. You'll get some $$$ for sure - higher GPAs are easier to find than 170+ LSATs. And I agree with Rotor and USN26 - don't sell yourself short - apply where you want to go! I mean you've been through ORSE and PORSE - this law school application stuff is a breeze!

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:16 am

Thank you everyone for the help. I didnt realize I could even consider places like NU, Chicago, or a NY school. Since my GI Bill will run out after 3 semesters, that means YRP will too. Do yall know of any scholarships specifically for vets, like the Tillman?

Pacman

New

Post by Pacman » Wed May 13, 2015 11:28 am

bberry32 wrote:Thank you everyone for the help. I didnt realize I could even consider places like NU, Chicago, or a NY school. Since my GI Bill will run out after 3 semesters, that means YRP will too. Do yall know of any scholarships specifically for vets, like the Tillman?
NU I think you'd be all but a lock and as someone mentioned before, if you ED there they give you $50,000 per year since you no longer have any leverage for scholarship negotiation. Not sure if your numbers could get you in ED there since the GPAs seem to skew slightly higher but in my opinion it's worth the shot for free law school (and you should be able to pocket that 50 grand your first year while the GI Bill pays up).

As far as scholarships go there are so many out there and it can be kind of a mess wading through. I'd start with FastWeb or SchoolSoup if you want to go the free route or you can pay a site like Scholarship Owl to apply for you and all you have to write any required essays that they will prompt you for. Definitely apply for any and all veterans scholarships that you qualify for, but don't limit yourself to just those since there is a lot more money to be had out there. The biggest limiting factor will be that you will only be eligible for scholarships that can be used for graduate school, but there is still plenty to go around.

azpurua

New

Post by azpurua » Wed May 13, 2015 11:32 am

Hey folks,

Something that hasn't been asked in here. Does anyone have any advice for a Canadian veteran considering studying and working in the US? My stats are:

GPA: 3.21
LSAT: 172
5 years service (RCAF)

I'd ultimately be looking for NYC biglaw. What are my chances at different schools? Does Canadian veteran status help me at all?

Thank!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:35 am

bberry32 wrote:Thank you everyone for the help. I didnt realize I could even consider places like NU, Chicago, or a NY school. Since my GI Bill will run out after 3 semesters, that means YRP will too. Do yall know of any scholarships specifically for vets, like the Tillman?
Don't know off any scholarships off hand, but I suspect you could negotiate a half-scholarship from several good places, and have them offset it it so you get full tuition when not covered by GIB/YRP.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed May 13, 2015 11:48 am

Pacman wrote:
NU I think you'd be all but a lock and as someone mentioned before, if you ED there they give you $50,000 per year since you no longer have any leverage for scholarship negotiation. Not sure if your numbers could get you in ED there since the GPAs seem to skew slightly higher but in my opinion it's worth the shot for free law school (and you should be able to pocket that 50 grand your first year while the GI Bill pays up).

As far as scholarships go there are so many out there and it can be kind of a mess wading through. I'd start with FastWeb or SchoolSoup if you want to go the free route or you can pay a site like Scholarship Owl to apply for you and all you have to write any required essays that they will prompt you for. Definitely apply for any and all veterans scholarships that you qualify for, but don't limit yourself to just those since there is a lot more money to be had out there. The biggest limiting factor will be that you will only be eligible for scholarships that can be used for graduate school, but there is still plenty to go around.
We have 2 ex Nuke guys at NU right now. I know the enlisted one was a more extreme splitter than you by a long shot too. You'll definitely get in at NU and even if you don't ED you're gonna get pretty substantial scholly. I'd guess as regular decision you'd get 30-40k a year, but you would have a pretty good shot at ED for 50k if you decide to go for it. Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:57 pm

Cobretti wrote:We have 2 ex Nuke guys at NU right now. I know the enlisted one was a more extreme splitter than you by a long shot too. You'll definitely get in at NU and even if you don't ED you're gonna get pretty substantial scholly. I'd guess as regular decision you'd get 30-40k a year, but you would have a pretty good shot at ED for 50k if you decide to go for it. Feel free to pm me if you have questions.
I feel like NU is very vet-friendly. I was pretty surprised to get in, much less get the money I did. Wish I could have made it work. Definitely would recommend it. Actually, I got invited to the diverse students ASW b/c of military background, so they're very open to military.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:59 pm

azpurua wrote:Hey folks,

Something that hasn't been asked in here. Does anyone have any advice for a Canadian veteran considering studying and working in the US? My stats are:

5 years service (RCAF)

I'd ultimately be looking for NYC biglaw. What are my chances at different schools? Does Canadian veteran status help me at all?

Thank!
At the very least that'll be a very unusual or interesting background to add to the class and discuss in a personal/diversity statement. Especially if you've been abroad or deployed.

With your numbers I think you'll have good options, particularly the purple schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:02 pm

What is a purple school?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:20 pm

bberry32 wrote:What is a purple school?

Gonna guess its a school that's more or less even liberal and conservative (i.e. red and blue = purple).

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Wed May 13, 2015 2:30 pm

5 years service (RCAF)

Thank!

You might want to reach out to Bfalcon - similar background to yours at a T14.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:25 pm

encore1101 wrote:
bberry32 wrote:What is a purple school?

Gonna guess its a school that's more or less even liberal and conservative (i.e. red and blue = purple).
Northwestern and NYU haha. Is that not a thing? It should be a thing.

I think they'd both jump at a 3.2/172, NU for the work experienced splitter love, NYU for the LSAT hunger. Those stats would be competitive most places, but those two struck me as the most likely to bite.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed May 13, 2015 4:02 pm

navykev wrote:

5 years service (RCAF)

Thank!

You might want to reach out to Bfalcon - similar background to yours at a T14.
There is a poster here called blue falcon? That's fucking awesome

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Wed May 13, 2015 4:09 pm

bjsesq wrote: There is a poster here called blue falcon? That's fucking awesome
Yep! His avatar is kind of humorous when you put the two together.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed May 13, 2015 4:11 pm

navykev wrote:
bjsesq wrote: There is a poster here called blue falcon? That's fucking awesome
Yep! His avatar is kind of humorous when you put the two together.
I'd check it out, but I'm paranoid he's fucking my girlfriend right now so I need to drive home.

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Thu May 14, 2015 2:48 am

corman3000 wrote:So I've now been wait-listed at 5 really good schools: Michigan, Penn, UCLA, W&M and Notre Dame. My stats are not that great (3.49/161), but I also have URM status. I did not get into my first choice, UT.

I feel like the wait list offer is just their way of showing respect for my military career but at the same time telling me I'm not getting in.

Anyone else feel this way?

Right now, I'm looking at going to SMU, which I believe is a good school but nowhere near some of the schools where I'm on the wait list. In any case, I will have voc rehab so financially I'm not fucking myself over. So I got that going for me... which is nice.
Sorry to hear the news. My GPA combined is probably lower than yours, and I was hoping a good LSAT would propel me. It's been *extremely* difficult to study where I've been currently stationed. I'm still pushing and will hope to crush it in June. If not, there is still October and February to retake, but not sure how that will mix in with the schools' decision making.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Thu May 14, 2015 8:32 pm

On another note, has anyone here considered the accelerated JD program? I see that NU has one.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:53 pm

JazzyMac wrote:On another note, has anyone here considered the accelerated JD program? I see that NU has one.
I was admitted to that program this cycle. I really wanted to go, but couldn't make it work. Think it's a great deal though.

Pacman

New

Post by Pacman » Fri May 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Now that they've gone to unlimited/unlimited for the YRP, their 3 year JD/MBA is also a killer deal because rather than paying business school tuition your second year like you would at just about every other school, the NU law school handles all the financing so under the YRP you will get a ~$220,000 JD/MBA for free in just three years, AND still have extra GI bill eligibility left over so it's pretty much the best bang for your buck unless you find your way into HYS. Anyone considering a JD/MBA that has full YRP should definitely consider them because most other B schools only throw in like 10 grand or so for their year(s) so you're going to be paying something out of pocket. And for those of you who don't want to take the LSAT, the NU JD/MBA is a combined application through Kellogg and you only need a GMAT score. Pretty much every other program I've seen besides NYU you have to apply to each school separately.

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:47 pm

I actually really like that NU dual option. But I hear that the GMAT is worse than the LSAT. Does anyone have a running list of what top schools have application fee waivers for veterans? I also read a couple comments about a spread sheet regarding military benefits at these schools. Can someone please hook me up with that? Trying to figure all this shit out and compare them against each other is killing me. Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”