Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MT Cicero

Silver

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by MT Cicero » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 am

Wipfelder wrote:Comrade,

The business I want to "expand"/start involves alot of legal experience. It would probably take four or five years of me working as a lawyer before I could go solo. Anyways, long-ish story.

I'm applying to NU as well as a few others.
First of all, you're me as far as numbers go. I'll PM you my LSN data.

Also, the $20K Penn puts up is for the YRP, not the GI Bill. The GI Bill is a fixed amount annually. This year, it's $20,235. The YRP is the amount the school puts in additional. The VA matches the school's YRP contribution as well.

So, for Penn: $20,235 GI + $20K YRP from Penn + $20K YRP from VA = FREE!

See the link here for a spreadsheet I created of the top 50 or so law schools and how they break down for vets (including the housing allowance): 2014-15 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

Spoiler alert: If your school isn't free...it's probably close.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:06 pm

The business I want to "expand"/start involves alot of legal experience. It would probably take four or five years of me working as a lawyer before I could go solo. Anyways, long-ish story.

Good times. I'd throw UVA in the ring as well; great school, splitter friendly, and gives all vets in-state tuition, so you're 100% covered by the Post 9/11.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:44 am

I'll do it.

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:45 pm

MT Cicero wrote:

First of all, you're me as far as numbers go. I'll PM you my LSN data.

Also, the $20K Penn puts up is for the YRP, not the GI Bill. The GI Bill is a fixed amount annually. This year, it's $20,235. The YRP is the amount the school puts in additional. The VA matches the school's YRP contribution as well.

So, for Penn: $20,235 GI + $20K YRP from Penn + $20K YRP from VA = FREE!

See the link here for a spreadsheet I created of the top 50 or so law schools and how they break down for vets (including the housing allowance): 2014-15 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

Spoiler alert: If your school isn't free...it's probably close.
Outside of The LSAT Trainer, your chart is the most single important document I've been using in deciding schools, and researching any and everything concerning law school education. THANK YOU SO MUCH for continuing to keep this updated. I've sent it on to other peers and coworkers as well.

sarge

New

Post by sarge » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:00 am

I have a question that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with.

Short version: I'm not a Virginia resident now, but I will be before I begin law school in Virginia. Do I submit the domicile forms now as an in-state applicant in my application?

Long version: I'm currently stationed in Arkansas, but I will be separating in April. I am applying for multiple law schools in Virginia, which waives the 1 year residency requirement for in-state tuition purposes. If accepted, I will of course be moving to Virginia. However, since I am submitting my applications now, they require the domicile forms for applicants claiming Virginia in-state tuition benefits. Technically I do not qualify right now, but I will for the academic term I am applying for. I'd just call and ask the university, but there's 3 of them and they all ask for it. I'm just wondering if anyone in my shoes has done on their applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:24 pm

sarge wrote:I have a question that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with.

Short version: I'm not a Virginia resident now, but I will be before I begin law school in Virginia. Do I submit the domicile forms now as an in-state applicant in my application?

Long version: I'm currently stationed in Arkansas, but I will be separating in April. I am applying for multiple law schools in Virginia, which waives the 1 year residency requirement for in-state tuition purposes. If accepted, I will of course be moving to Virginia. However, since I am submitting my applications now, they require the domicile forms for applicants claiming Virginia in-state tuition benefits. Technically I do not qualify right now, but I will for the academic term I am applying for. I'd just call and ask the university, but there's 3 of them and they all ask for it. I'm just wondering if anyone in my shoes has done on their applications.
I applied to a bunch of Virginia schools -- I am stationed in Virginia but am a Washington State resident. I had to provide my current orders and they listed me as in-state. I am not sure if that is because I am actually stationed in Virginia though. However, I am pretty sure the new GI Bill rules require public schools to provide in state tuition to all separating military members - so if you are talking public universities -- you will be covered no matter how they list you. That rule goes into effect fall 2015. Here is the reference: http://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/un ... l-1.301424

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:55 pm

I got my LSAT score today. AA male, veteran, with a LSAT of 155 and a 3.41 GPA. This will be a nerve-wracking cycle.

tennactitans

New

Post by tennactitans » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:42 am

FairchildFLT wrote:I got my LSAT score today. AA male, veteran, with a LSAT of 155 and a 3.41 GPA. This will be a nerve-wracking cycle.
Plans?

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:39 am

First off -- found out last week I got into Georgetown - by far my top choice for a host of different reasons. I am completely humbled and feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to attend there. If there are any GULC alums or current students on this thread that would like to reach out to me to talk about the GULC experience- I'd very much appreciate it!

Now the real reason I'm doing this post -- one of the great things about getting into my top choice school so early is I never have to look at another LSAT question again!! That being said -- I have a ton of LSAT study stuff that I was holding onto just in case I needed to retake -- all the Powerscore Bibles and many of the workbooks and supplements - 3 of the LSAT Actual Pretests (10 LSATs in each) and the SuperPrep book. They all have some wear and tear -- but still usable for sure. I also have the 180 Watch (yeah I'm that guy) and some LSAT flash cards. I'd like to send this test prep material to a veteran that doesn't have the financial means to buy all this stuff. So if you want it or know someone that does PM me -- all I ask is that it goes to someone that really needs it --- and when that person is done with the LSAT -- they pass it on to another vet.

I'll update this post when the stuff has been claimed.

*****UDPATE: ALL THE STUFF HAS BEEN CLAIMED*****
Last edited by navykev on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:43 am

navykev wrote:First off -- found out last week I got into Georgetown - by far my top choice for a host of different reasons.
Congrats!

Hank Rearden

New

Post by Hank Rearden » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:45 am

sarge wrote:I have a question that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with.

Is this a public or private school? UVA (at least) automatically counts veterans as in-state for the purposes of tuition (which is also huge for the GI Bill). I had this conversation with the Dean of Admissions last cycle (didn't end up attending though). If you want to follow up on this, call the admissions department at the law school.

Edit: it's the law in Virginia for public institutions to grant in-state tuition to honorably separated veterans.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:49 am

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off ... al-ready-r

Free trips to west Africa coming for at least a few of us who thought we were in the clear.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:59 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote:http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off ... al-ready-r

Free trips to west Africa coming for at least a few of us who thought we were in the clear.
This reminds me why I was so happy when my final separation occurred.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:00 am

haus wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off ... al-ready-r

This reminds me why I was so happy when my final separation occurred.
Got a feeling it's the medical types they are looking to pull back in.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:12 am

tennactitans wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:I got my LSAT score today. AA male, veteran, with a LSAT of 155 and a 3.41 GPA. This will be a nerve-wracking cycle.
Plans?
I'm going to apply, if I get in somewhere I want, cool. If not, retake in February. Worst case scenario I spend another year serving this country I love. Merica.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:26 am

navykev wrote:First off -- found out last week I got into Georgetown - by far my top choice for a host of different reasons. I am completely humbled and feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to attend there. If there are any GULC alums or current students on this thread that would like to reach out to me to talk about the GULC experience- I'd very much appreciate it!

Now the real reason I'm doing this post -- one of the great things about getting into my top choice school so early is I never have to look at another LSAT question again!! That being said -- I have a ton of LSAT study stuff that I was holding onto just in case I needed to retake -- all the Powerscore Bibles and many of the workbooks and supplements - 3 of the LSAT Actual Pretests (10 LSATs in each) and the SuperPrep book. They all have some wear and tear -- but still usable for sure. I also have the 180 Watch (yeah I'm that guy) and some LSAT flash cards. I'd like to send this test prep material to a veteran that doesn't have the financial means to buy all this stuff. So if you want it or know someone that does PM me -- all I ask is that it goes to someone that really needs it --- and when that person is done with the LSAT -- they pass it on to another vet.

I'll update this post when the stuff has been claimed.
I would really like to request the watch and the superprep book! I have to retake in December.

SoCalBum

New

Post by SoCalBum » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Here is my introduction:

Marine Corps O-3 (Combat Engineer) with 3 1/2 years AD
LSAT: (September) 166
Undergrad: 3.45 LSAC GPA - B.A. Political Science & History (UCB)
100% GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon eligible

I only plan on applying to California schools. Sending my apps out November 1st.

Top Choice:
UCLA
USC

Can anyone share with me their success stories and stats?

Thanks

D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I applied to UCLA with a 168 and a 3.3. Got in and got a scholarship. I suspect you're in at both UCLA and USC.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:00 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:I suspect you're in at both UCLA and USC.
Agree.

If you're not wedded to SoCal, take a shot at Berkeley. Dean Tom likes a good spread of vets in the class. I got in with 3.49/166. That was before the changes to the GI Bill so there may be more applicants these days but it's worth the shot.

lane

New

Post by lane » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:17 am

Marine Corps Sergeant. OEF combat veteran. Signals Intelligence Cryptologic Linguist (Korean and Pashto). 163 LSAT / 3.78 GPA. IT major graduating in May. Already accepted to Boston College and University of Oklahoma (Oklahoma resident) and applications in to Virginia, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Georgetown, Texas as reach schools and Minnesota, Alabama, and Washington St. Louis as target schools.

Quick question though. I called the GI Bill hotline and they told me that I can only use the amount of months left that I have on my GI Bill. Since I am using my GI Bill for undergad, most of it will have been used for my bachelor's degree. In other words, the GI Bill won't cover all of my JD because I used it to obtain my BS. Is this accurate?
Last edited by lane on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

tennactitans

New

Post by tennactitans » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:24 am

lane wrote:Marine Corps Sergeant. OEF combat veteran. Signals Intelligence Cryptologic Linguist (Korean and Pashto). 163 LSAT / 3.78 GPA. IT major graduating in May. Already accepted to Boston College and University of Oklahoma (Oklahoma resident) and applications in to Virginia, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Georgetown, Texas as reach schools and Minnesota, Alabama, and Washington St. Louis as target schools.
Everyone here is going to shit on you until you retake that LSAT. Your reach schools with that gpa should be Columbia and Chicago. I'm already considering taking an additional year off to test again. Just a friendly heads up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:51 am

lane wrote:Marine Corps Sergeant. OEF combat veteran. Signals Intelligence Cryptologic Linguist (Korean and Pashto). 163 LSAT / 3.78 GPA. IT major graduating in May. Already accepted to Boston College and University of Oklahoma (Oklahoma resident) and applications in to Virginia, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Georgetown, Texas as reach schools and Minnesota, Alabama, and Washington St. Louis as target schools.

Quick question though. I called the GI Bill hotline and they told me that I can only use the amount of months left that I have on my GI Bill. Since I am usng my GI Bill for undergad, most of it will have been used for my bachelor's degree. In other words, the GI Bill won't cover all of my JD because I used it to obtain my BS. Is this accurate?

Retake and shoot for uva, mich, and Berkeley. All within your reach. Stop using your gi bill immediately (call school today) and start paying back what you used. Your literally trading ten thousand in for fifty

lane

New

Post by lane » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:12 am

SemperLegal wrote:

Quick question though. I called the GI Bill hotline and they told me that I can only use the amount of months left that I have on my GI Bill. Since I am usng my GI Bill for undergad, most of it will have been used for my bachelor's degree. In other words, the GI Bill won't cover all of my JD because I used it to obtain my BS. Is this accurate?

Retake and shoot for uva, mich, and Berkeley. All within your reach. Stop using your gi bill immediately (call school today) and start paying back what you used. Your literally trading ten thousand in for fifty
Thank you for the help.

tennactitans

New

Post by tennactitans » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:56 am

SemperLegal wrote:

I didn't know you could pay back into your GI Eligibility! If that's true, then you have to do that. Hell, do the math. I bet you'd come out ahead on a private signature loan.

T14 @ $50-60k/yr >>> UG @ ~$5-10k/yr

SoCalBum

New

Post by SoCalBum » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Rotor wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I suspect you're in at both UCLA and USC.
Agree.

If you're not wedded to SoCal, take a shot at Berkeley. Dean Tom likes a good spread of vets in the class. I got in with 3.49/166. That was before the changes to the GI Bill so there may be more applicants these days but it's worth the shot.
Thanks everyone.

I did my undergrad at Berkeley as a transfer. I will probably send in an app. Im interested to see how being in the Marine Corps will help out my app.

I have a LSAC GPA of 3.45 with a downward trend and a 166 LSAT score after taking it twice.

I will just have to wait and see.

D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”