Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ScottRiqui

Gold

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Army2Law wrote: Does anyone have any experience with using Post-9/11 to get reimbursement for the Bar Exam?
I really need to look into this. At first, I was thinking that I didn't want to burn GI Bill eligibility on something relatively small that I could just pay out of pocket. But then I realized that law school is only going to use up ~25 months of eligibility, and I have no idea what I'd use the rest on in the next fifteen years. So if I burn a month or two of eligibility paying for patent bar prep before school or bar exam prep after school, I'm not really going to lose anything.

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:58 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Army2Law wrote: Does anyone have any experience with using Post-9/11 to get reimbursement for the Bar Exam?
I really need to look into this. At first, I was thinking that I didn't want to burn GI Bill eligibility on something relatively small that I could just pay out of pocket. But then I realized that law school is only going to use up ~25 months of eligibility, and I have no idea what I'd use the rest on in the next fifteen years. So if I burn a month or two of eligibility paying for patent bar prep before school or bar exam prep after school, I'm not really going to lose anything.
I know it won't pay for services like barbri, but they do reimburse up to $2k for the actual exam costs. I think it's unlimited reimbursement for licensing exams after the last round of amendments that they did without affecting the number of months of Post-9/11 eligibility you have left. That being said, you should definitely use it to pay for any costs for taking the patent bar (assuming I'm right, haha). I'm mostly curious how big of a nutroll the process is and if they cover things like having to pay for character & fitness.

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Okay, I finally finished reading all the pages of this thread!

Things I've realized, good and bad:

- My mediocre GPA of 3.4 will be even more detrimental once it's uploaded to that LSAT system, since I fought and kicked my way through UG.

- I'm happy that I'm not just limited to TX to attend LS, but...

- I'm not sure if I would attend TX if it was my only choice (based on all the info I've gathered)

- The school I DO want to attend may put me in debt...but a pretty good investment thinking about how much I would get covered.

- I'm so proud of all of you guys setting your dreams high. Please post more!

tjsmms061906

New

Post by tjsmms061906 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Since there seems to be some knowledgeable members who know a thing or two about the Post 9/11 GI Bill, I need some help finding clear answers. I enlisted under the Student Loan Repayment program in 2006 but have stayed in since then. I get out in 2014 and was told that I am eligible for the 9/11 because I have served more that 6 years on active (first 3 count towards the SLR and the latter 3 count for 9/11). Has anyone encountered a similar situation? I will only go to LS if I get the 9/11. I spoke to a few people but everyone gives me an unsure answer. Should I try to get my certificate of eligibility from the VA now to see?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:18 pm

tjsmms061906 wrote:Since there seems to be some knowledgeable members who know a thing or two about the Post 9/11 GI Bill, I need some help finding clear answers. I enlisted under the Student Loan Repayment program in 2006 but have stayed in since then. I get out in 2014 and was told that I am eligible for the 9/11 because I have served more that 6 years on active (first 3 count towards the SLR and the latter 3 count for 9/11). Has anyone encountered a similar situation? I will only go to LS if I get the 9/11. I spoke to a few people but everyone gives me an unsure answer. Should I try to get my certificate of eligibility from the VA now to see?
That would be the best thing - request an eligibility certificate and see what the VA says. But if you served three years on active duty *after* paying back your SLR obligation, I'd say it looks good for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:34 pm

JazzyMac wrote:Okay, I finally finished reading all the pages of this thread!

- My mediocre GPA of 3.4 will be even more detrimental once it's uploaded to that LSAT system, since I fought and kicked my way through UG.

- I'm not sure if I would attend TX if it was my only choice (based on all the info I've gathered)

- The school I DO want to attend may put me in debt...but a pretty good investment thinking about how much I would get covered.

This can become very significant. The biggest things that change it are transfer credits that your degree granting institution may not have counted, and retakes. If you have either of those that apply your GPA may be substantially different. There are calculators available to help estimate what LSAC will compute for you though. Remember they will count every grade you've ever received, including classes you retook for a higher grade.

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:05 pm

Cobretti wrote:

This can become very significant. The biggest things that change it are transfer credits that your degree granting institution may not have counted, and retakes. If you have either of those that apply your GPA may be substantially different. There are calculators available to help estimate what LSAC will compute for you though. Remember they will count every grade you've ever received, including classes you retook for a higher grade.
**Seriously awesome, thanks so much!

Stupid question, but I've attended five, maybe six UG schools. Will I have to do the normal hunting for all the transcripts? And also, what about CLEPs/DANTES? How are those counted?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:24 pm

JazzyMac wrote:
Cobretti wrote:

**Seriously awesome, thanks so much!

Stupid question, but I've attended five, maybe six UG schools. Will I have to do the normal hunting for all the transcripts? And also, what about CLEPs/DANTES? How are those counted?
Yes, you'll need official transcripts from everywhere you earned credit (5 schools for me, so fun). CLEP/DANTES are treated as pass/fail so they won't affect your GPA either way.

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:56 pm

Just used the calculator and the results are sobering. I'm going to have to truly think about this Law School thing.

I've had a lot of disappointment in my life and career...not sure a voluntary application for more disappointment will truly help my psyche.

Off to eat something or buy something.

#DramaCryOver :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:03 am

JazzyMac wrote:Just used the calculator and the results are sobering. I'm going to have to truly think about this Law School thing.

I've had a lot of disappointment in my life and career...not sure a voluntary application for more disappointment will truly help my psyche.

Whatever your GPA is, I can promise you mine's almost certainly lower. But you still have the LSAT, and a high LSAT score is "worth" more than a high GPA. Plus, don't discount your military service as a "soft" factor - it's one that few applicants have. Lastly, with the downturn in the number of LSAT takers and law school applicants, there are quite a few stories here on TLS of people getting into schools that they didn't have much chance at, going by the law school predictor site and LSN.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:14 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
JazzyMac wrote:Just used the calculator and the results are sobering. I'm going to have to truly think about this Law School thing.

Whatever your GPA is, I can promise you mine's almost certainly lower. But you still have the LSAT, and a high LSAT score is "worth" more than a high GPA. Plus, don't discount your military service as a "soft" factor - it's one that few applicants have. Lastly, with the downturn in the number of LSAT takers and law school applicants, there are quite a few stories here on TLS of people getting into schools that they didn't have much chance at, going by the law school predictor site and LSN.
I had a 3.0 and will be attending NU in the fall. Take the LSAT serious and break 170 and you can still have plenty of very strong options open to you. Plus with the GI Bill you don't need to worry about scholarships so you can play the ED game if you want.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:35 am

There's always Northwestern.

Also, few flagship state schools tend to be GPA blind. With the GI Bill, there is barely any risk of going to a lower Tier 1 state school, other than three more years on the treadmill.

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:52 pm

I'll have to construct a spreadsheet and do basic analysis to decide my best options.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:08 pm

So looking at the ranks in the poll... I didn't see CWO's (I'm assuming Chief means Chief petty officers) anywhere. Overlooked again :x .

kjd899

New

Post by kjd899 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Hello all. First time poster.

Just wanted to say thanks for the wealth of information in previous posts. It's not easy to track down this information online and most of what can be found it old.

I am in my last year of UG and just took the lsat June 10th. I'm eyeing specific programs that concentrate in law and economics (mainly George Mason). I enlisted in the Marine Corps January 2006 and spent ~5 months at MCRD San Diego in and out of three different platoons and MRP due to an injury suffered during training. It kept reoccurring and eventually they sent me home in June with an ELS due to the issue. My time in service was from 01/17/06-06/12/06. I had never applied for any benefits, assuming I did not qualify due to the ELS.

However, after the urging of a relative who spent 20 years in the Navy and whom handed me the booklet for Federal Benefits for Veterans, I believed I do qualify for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. Being that I served more than 30 continuous days and was discharged due to a medical issue, I hoped to qualify for 100% benefit. After submitting my claim I was denied because:
Your service component notified us that you didn't receive an honorable discharge. Individuals must receive an honorable discharge to qualify for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. As of January 4, 2011, an honorable character of service is required for all service periods including those with a separation for: Condition Interfering with Duty (CIWD)....Any discharge for CIWD...prior to January 4,2011 which is other than dishonorable may still be qualifying.
I submitted the only document I was given (never received a DD-214) with notes from the commanding officer of the battalion.
Convenience of the Government
Reason Processed: Medical
Type:COG
Complicity Allegation: No
Source: BN Ref
RS:962| 3

SNR as had 4 episodes of this condition while in RT. Despite standard care SNR unable to RTFD. SNR states he did not have this problem prior to RT. ELS/Medical/COG
Now, After denial I called the office and was told that I had to have my DD-214 to submit as evidence, as that's all they use. My medical records and related documents (which I have but did not fully submit, only sending the commanding officer's form MCRD 1900/17) mean nothing. I requested my DD-214 from the correct office and was told it did not exist there and the request had been referred on to Quantico. I feel stuck :( Does anybody know if ELS explicitly denies me from benefits? If not, how do I go about appealing/proving that I qualify? Should I try to consult with the law school attached to my university in hopes of receiving help?

Thanks.

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:20 pm

I'm pretty sure you're SOL here. ELS is a type of discharge. Namely, you were not honorably discharged from the military, but were given an entry level separation.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but there it is.

I do know that you can petition for an honorable discharge. I'm not entirely certain what that process is, what the chances of success are, or how long it might take, but at least it's something.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:29 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:So looking at the ranks in the poll... I didn't see CWO's (I'm assuming Chief means Chief petty officers) anywhere. Overlooked again :x .
Appropriately, I changed the poll to accommodate our bi-rated brethren and everything got jacked up.

Also, can anyone explain why warrant officers exist, yet nurses have commissions? God, I hate the Nurse Corps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Zoomie

Bronze

Post by Zoomie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:28 am

kjd899 wrote:Hello all. First time poster.

Just wanted to say thanks for the wealth of information in previous posts. It's not easy to track down this information online and most of what can be found it old.

I am in my last year of UG and just took the lsat June 10th. I'm eyeing specific programs that concentrate in law and economics (mainly George Mason). I enlisted in the Marine Corps January 2006 and spent ~5 months at MCRD San Diego in and out of three different platoons and MRP due to an injury suffered during training. It kept reoccurring and eventually they sent me home in June with an ELS due to the issue. My time in service was from 01/17/06-06/12/06. I had never applied for any benefits, assuming I did not qualify due to the ELS.

However, after the urging of a relative who spent 20 years in the Navy and whom handed me the booklet for Federal Benefits for Veterans, I believed I do qualify for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. Being that I served more than 30 continuous days and was discharged due to a medical issue, I hoped to qualify for 100% benefit. After submitting my claim I was denied because:
Your service component notified us that you didn't receive an honorable discharge. Individuals must receive an honorable discharge to qualify for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. As of January 4, 2011, an honorable character of service is required for all service periods including those with a separation for: Condition Interfering with Duty (CIWD)....Any discharge for CIWD...prior to January 4,2011 which is other than dishonorable may still be qualifying.
I submitted the only document I was given (never received a DD-214) with notes from the commanding officer of the battalion.
Convenience of the Government
Reason Processed: Medical
Type:COG
Complicity Allegation: No
Source: BN Ref
RS:962| 3

SNR as had 4 episodes of this condition while in RT. Despite standard care SNR unable to RTFD. SNR states he did not have this problem prior to RT. ELS/Medical/COG
Now, After denial I called the office and was told that I had to have my DD-214 to submit as evidence, as that's all they use. My medical records and related documents (which I have but did not fully submit, only sending the commanding officer's form MCRD 1900/17) mean nothing. I requested my DD-214 from the correct office and was told it did not exist there and the request had been referred on to Quantico. I feel stuck :( Does anybody know if ELS explicitly denies me from benefits? If not, how do I go about appealing/proving that I qualify? Should I try to consult with the law school attached to my university in hopes of receiving help?

Thanks.

I am a recruiter and a ELS is a type of discharge like the previous poster said. To qualify for post 9/11 benefits you must service 90 days on active duty to get 40%. I am unsure of the medical part. I'm fairly certain that you won't be able to get your discharge changed to an honorable since an entry level discharge is not necessarily a bad strike. They give ELS to anyone who is dischargesd in Boot camp for whatever reason. You should be able to request your DD-214 from the VA in St. Louis. (Message me privately if you can't get it.) You stated your TIS was about 6 months from 1/06-6/06? Was some of that time in the DEP? That time also will not count towards the post 9/11 benefit.

kjd899

New

Post by kjd899 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Zoomie wrote: I am a recruiter and a ELS is a type of discharge like the previous poster said. To qualify for post 9/11 benefits you must service 90 days on active duty to get 40%. I am unsure of the medical part. I'm fairly certain that you won't be able to get your discharge changed to an honorable since an entry level discharge is not necessarily a bad strike. They give ELS to anyone who is dischargesd in Boot camp for whatever reason. You should be able to request your DD-214 from the VA in St. Louis. (Message me privately if you can't get it.) You stated your TIS was about 6 months from 1/06-6/06? Was some of that time in the DEP? That time also will not count towards the post 9/11 benefit.
PM sent. That TIS does not include DEP. It's longer than the usual 12 week boot camp cycle because of my time spent in medical rehab platoon.

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:52 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:So looking at the ranks in the poll... I didn't see CWO's (I'm assuming Chief means Chief petty officers) anywhere. Overlooked again :x .
Appropriately, I changed the poll to accommodate our bi-rated brethren and everything got jacked up.

Also, can anyone explain why warrant officers exist, yet nurses have commissions? God, I hate the Nurse Corps.
Military nurses are professionals with college degrees. Why shouldn't they be commissioned officers?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Do schools know from your application whether you'll be attending under the GI Bill?

From an admissions standpoint, I'd think it might be helpful if they knew that they could admit you without needing to offer you much (or possibly any) scholarship money as an enticement.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ex Cearulo

Bronze

Post by Ex Cearulo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:34 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Do schools know from your application whether you'll be attending under the GI Bill?

From an admissions standpoint, I'd think it might be helpful if they knew that they could admit you without needing to offer you much (or possibly any) scholarship money as an enticement.
Of the 10-12 applications I've looked over, I never saw anything that would indicate one way or the other. Doesn't mean the question isn't asked by some school somewhere. I'd imagine most of them have enough experience with military applicants to have a general perception (or they could get data from the financial affairs office for previous classes), which probably leans towards, "Oh, this applicant is a veteran...they probably will have some kind of GI Bill benefits and may even get some YRP money." Translation: Likely won't need as much scholarship money.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:04 am

PBateman1 wrote:
Military nurses are professionals with college degrees. Why shouldn't they be commissioned officers?
Because they are not doctors, but they often try to pull rank on MDs and DOs.

Actually, I'd be happier just making a new rank for military doctors, they already get paid more, are noncombatants, and have parallel chains of command.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm

HawgDriver wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Do schools know from your application whether you'll be attending under the GI Bill?

Of the 10-12 applications I've looked over, I never saw anything that would indicate one way or the other. Doesn't mean the question isn't asked by some school somewhere. I'd imagine most of them have enough experience with military applicants to have a general perception (or they could get data from the financial affairs office for previous classes), which probably leans towards, "Oh, this applicant is a veteran...they probably will have some kind of GI Bill benefits and may even get some YRP money." Translation: Likely won't need as much scholarship money.
I'm hoping for some subtle way to work it into the application. It's really in the school's best interest to know early on as well, too - now that the GI Bill is the "last payer", scholarships from public schools really don't benefit the applicant at all; they just cost the school money.

Even at a private school that participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program with a high contribution limit, the school would be better off not offering a scholarship at all, and instead just paying half of the difference between the tuition/fees and the GI Bill annual limit.

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:18 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
PBateman1 wrote:
Because they are not doctors, but they often try to pull rank on MDs and DOs.

Actually, I'd be happier just making a new rank for military doctors, they already get paid more, are noncombatants, and have parallel chains of command.
Well the military system of rank is not at all ideal for running a healthcare system, but as long as lawyers, supply officers, and engineers are commissioned officers so nurses should be.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”