Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Magical Trevor

Bronze

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by Magical Trevor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:33 am

Is receiving a YRP notice the norm? I put my name in line and I got my financial aid package notification, but it only has the scholarship and loans without any GI Bill/YRP info.

bowser

Bronze

Post by bowser » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:35 am

Magical Trevor wrote:Is receiving a YRP notice the norm? I put my name in line and I got my financial aid package notification, but it only has the scholarship and loans without any GI Bill/YRP info.
they should be sending you another letter which has the YRP stuff on it, once the school confirms what they're matching. I just got mine (you're 100% eligible, right?)

Magical Trevor

Bronze

Post by Magical Trevor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 am

Yes, I am. That being said, I haven't submitted a seat deposit yet, maybe that's why.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:38 pm

Just to confirm, YRP is only if you're 100% eligible, right? I'm a reservist with like 30 months due to deployments and ADOS shit, but not quite over that hump.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:43 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Just to confirm, YRP is only if you're 100% eligible, right? I'm a reservist with like 30 months due to deployments and ADOS shit, but not quite over that hump.
Yes, that is correct.

I'm at either 70% or 90% depending on how they count my time.

I was going to just wait and see, but maybe someone here knows: I know they don't count IET (until 80%), but I went through 2 AITs because I have 2 MOSs. Will the time on my second AIT count?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:53 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Just to confirm, YRP is only if you're 100% eligible, right? I'm a reservist with like 30 months due to deployments and ADOS shit, but not quite over that hump.
Yes, that is correct.

I'm at either 70% or 90% depending on how they count my time.

I was going to just wait and see, but maybe someone here knows: I know they don't count IET (until 80%), but I went through 2 AITs because I have 2 MOSs. Will the time on my second AIT count?
From my VA Appeal Letter (that I won)
38 USC § 3313(c) (2) In the case of an individual entitled to educational assistance under this chapter by reason of section 3311 (b)(3), amounts equal to 90 percent of the amounts that would be payable to the individual . . .

§ 3311 (b)((3) An individual who—
(A) commencing on or after September 11, 2001, serves an aggregate of at least 30 months, but less than 36 months, on active duty in the Armed Forces (including service on active duty in entry level and skill training) (West 2012) (Emphasis Added)
My understanding is that if you have 30 months, all of AIT, you get 90%, however if you have 29 months and 29 days of AIT (and no other Active Time) you get 0%.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 pm

SemperLegal wrote:From my VA Appeal Letter (that I won)
38 USC § 3313(c) (2) In the case of an individual entitled to educational assistance under this chapter by reason of section 3311 (b)(3), amounts equal to 90 percent of the amounts that would be payable to the individual . . .

(A) commencing on or after September 11, 2001, serves an aggregate of at least 30 months, but less than 36 months, on active duty in the Armed Forces (including service on active duty in entry level and skill training) (West 2012) (Emphasis Added)
My understanding is that if you have 30 months, all of AIT, you get 90%, however if you have 29 months and 29 days of AIT (and no other Active Time) you get 0%.
I honestly don't quite understand what you're saying in the underlined text.

All I know is I have 22 months of active duty, which includes a deployment and some ADOS. That puts me at 70% eligibility.

However, if my reclass AIT counts (I think it might but I'm not sure), then I have 25 months, putting me at 80% eligibility. Basic and AIT get included once 80% is reached, so I will instantly hit 90% eligibility.

Just wondering if anyone else has more than one MOS and how the reclass AIT was counted by the VA. Or I'll just find out for myself once I fill out the VONAPP. I would like to know sooner than later if possible, as the answer will determine how I approach scholarship negotiations, but no biggie.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:30 pm

double post
Last edited by JazzieShizzle on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:34 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:From my VA Appeal Letter (that I won)

I honestly don't quite understand what you're saying in the underlined text.

All I know is I have 22 months of active duty, which includes a deployment and some ADOS. That puts me at 70% eligibility.

However, if my reclass AIT counts (I think it might but I'm not sure), then I have 25 months, putting me at 80% eligibility. Basic and AIT get included once 80% is reached, so I will instantly hit 90% eligibility.

Just wondering if anyone else has more than one MOS and how the reclass AIT was counted by the VA. Or I'll just find out for myself once I fill out the VONAPP. I would like to know sooner than later if possible, as the answer will determine how I approach scholarship negotiations, but no biggie.
If your total time adds up to 30 months, regardless of what percentage is AIT and how much is a Title 10 activation, you get 90%. If your total time adds up to less than 30 months, then you cannot use any of your AIT time.

To hopped up on MPRE prep to apply law to your specific facts

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:42 pm

SemperLegal wrote: If your total time adds up to 30 months, regardless of what percentage is AIT and how much is a Title 10 activation, you get 90%. If your total time adds up to less than 30 months, then you cannot use any of your AIT time.

To hopped up on MPRE prep to apply law to your specific facts
Ok, I get it now. Thanks for taking a study break to clarify that for me! :D

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 pm

SemperLegal wrote:If your total time adds up to 30 months, regardless of what percentage is AIT and how much is a Title 10 activation, you get 90%. If your total time adds up to less than 30 months, then you cannot use any of your AIT time.
You are correct it looks like Jazzle will get to include it all, but the total required to include initial entry and skills training is only 24 months.

Compare
38 USC 3311(b)(4)(A) wrote:An individual who . . . commencing on or after September 11, 2001, serves an aggregate of at least 24 months, but less than 30 months, on active duty in the Armed Forces (including service on active duty in entry level and skill training)
with
38 USC 3311(b)(5)(A) wrote:An individual who . . . commencing on or after September 11, 2001, serves an aggregate of at least 18 months, but less than 24 months, on active duty in the Armed Forces (excluding service on active duty in entry level and skill training)
Edit to Add: Jazzle, it likely will not be a surprise to the VA that people jump from 70% (or less) to 90% when the law requires calculating time differently between subsection (4) (and prior) and subsection (5) (and subsequent).

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:16 pm

I wish I wish Post-9/11 benefits covered bar review. :(

uvandy

New

Post by uvandy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Just to clarify, I am 100% post 9/11 eligible. I want to attend the public XX Law as out of state. In state sticker is $30k and out of state is $50k. YRP is $10k. My understanding is tuition would be 100% covered: $30k (VA) + $10k (YRP) + $10k (VA matching). If that same school offers me in-state tuition even though I'm out of state, then VA covers all of it with no YRP needed. Is this correct?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:05 pm

uvandy wrote:Just to clarify, I am 100% post 9/11 eligible. I want to attend the public XX Law as out of state. In state sticker is $30k and out of state is $50k. YRP is $10k. My understanding is tuition would be 100% covered: $30k (VA) + $10k (YRP) + $10k (VA matching). If that same school offers me in-state tuition even though I'm out of state, then VA covers all of it with no YRP needed. Is this correct?

That seems 100% correct to me, though I have no first hand experience with either.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:11 pm

uvandy wrote:Just to clarify, I am 100% post 9/11 eligible. I want to attend the public XX Law as out of state. In state sticker is $30k and out of state is $50k. YRP is $10k. My understanding is tuition would be 100% covered: $30k (VA) + $10k (YRP) + $10k (VA matching). If that same school offers me in-state tuition even though I'm out of state, then VA covers all of it with no YRP needed. Is this correct?
I may be mistaken, or relying on old data, but according to:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/resou ... sp#TUITION

If you're attending a public IHL as an out-of-State student, the cap is at $18,077.50 annually, so if the school charges you out of state tuition, it would be 18.1k (VA) + 10k (YRP-VA) + 10k (YRP School) = 38.1k, leaving you with 11.9k or so short annually.

edit: not 18,077.50, but 19.2k for this school year.

Magical Trevor

Bronze

Post by Magical Trevor » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:16 pm

I called the va about this and was told that you get full in state tuition at public universities regardless.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:23 pm

How soon before school starts should I complete the vonapp?

I'm not completely sure where I will attend yet, so I was planning to complete it next month. Will that be ok? I want to make sure I won't be screwing myself if I wait.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Magical Trevor wrote:I called the va about this and was told that you get full in state tuition at public universities regardless.
This.

The verbiage from the VA website could be sharpened, as it is often misconstrued. Private = ~$19K, Public = in-state rate regardless of residency. Out-of-state residents obviously owe more tuition, so would pay more...unless YRP comes to the rescue.

And thankfully, it has been coming to the rescue more and more and in higher amounts. Thank you YRP.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:30 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:How soon before school starts should I complete the vonapp?

I'm not completely sure where I will attend yet, so I was planning to complete it next month. Will that be ok? I want to make sure I won't be screwing myself if I wait.
To piggback off this, is the process to actually get things moving school specific? I planned to basically take my certificate of eligibility to my school, give it to the VA/Financial Aid person, and say "help."

nontrad2014

New

Post by nontrad2014 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Of all the VA programs the GI Bill is handled very well. Applying through ebenefits is fast. If I remember correctly from application to approval was less than two weeks for me. Once approved the VA started distributing funds and I never had to worry about a bill.

Remember they pay in arrears so your first month of housing stipend won't come in until the month #2.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:54 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:

To piggback off this, is the process to actually get things moving school specific? I planned to basically take my certificate of eligibility to my school, give it to the VA/Financial Aid person, and say "help."
That's where I am, too. I think once you have your CoE, the next step is the school's, because they're the ones who certify that you're enrolled, and how many hours you're taking, and submit the claim to the VA for payment.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Magical Trevor wrote:I called the va about this and was told that you get full in state tuition at public universities regardless.
I can 100% confirm this was the practice for at least the class of 2015. S

Magical Trevor

Bronze

Post by Magical Trevor » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:27 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

That's where I am, too. I think once you have your CoE, the next step is the school's, because they're the ones who certify that you're enrolled, and how many hours you're taking, and submit the claim to the VA for payment.
I emailed my coe to the veterans affairs guy at my school and he did the rest. Took less than a day but i wouldn't wait.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Magical Trevor wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

I emailed my coe to the veterans affairs guy at my school and he did the rest. Took less than a day but i wouldn't wait.
This will be my first year at law school, so I don't think I'm even a student yet, officially. I thought I would have to wait at least until orientation before giving my CoE to the Veterans Affairs rep?

I guess that leads into something else I'm unclear about. I applied binding ED, and have already paid my seat deposit and submitted my Letter of Intent. But when am I actually "enrolled" in the school? When I get my schedule? At orientation? On the first day of class?

Magical Trevor

Bronze

Post by Magical Trevor » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:15 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:This will be my first year at law school, so I don't think I'm even a student yet, officially. I thought I would have to wait at least until orientation before giving my CoE to the Veterans Affairs rep?

I guess that leads into something else I'm unclear about. I applied binding ED, and have already paid my seat deposit and submitted my Letter of Intent. But when am I actually "enrolled" in the school? When I get my schedule? At orientation? On the first day of class?
This will be my first year at school also. I still haven't submitted my seat deposit and I just called to confirm the YRP situation and when I did, the veteran's rep just told me to send my coe and then hooked the rest up. Given that the ball is in your school's court once you've gotten the CoE, I'd call your rep now because you could save yourself the headache later.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”