Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MT Cicero

Silver

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Grunt2Grad wrote:Whats up Vets?

Since I am already fully funded through voc rehab does this play a roll in admissions decision? Is it something I should be letting schools know? I hope they don't get mad at me for posting this in another forum. I got pointed to this thread after I posted it.
I saw your other thread. No big deal man, they won't care.

To answer your question: yes, it COULD matter. I had one acceptance for sure where the dean of admissions called me and mentioned the Yellow Ribbon Program and that I would pay nothing in tuition. I was way way below their typical GPA floor.

Where I think it could really help is getting off waitlists with a LOCI, or with a requested additional letter of interest the school might request. You don't want to bash them over the head with it, but you can make a subtle mention with a "if offered a spot off the waitlist, I would unhesitatingly accept. My status as a disabled veteran allows me to choose a law school without concern over funding...blah blah blah." I just threw those words together, but you get the idea. I think it could help on the margins, and just take one more thing out of the adcomm's decision matrix.

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:37 pm

MT Cicero wrote:

Since I am already fully funded through voc rehab does this play a roll in admissions decision? Is it something I should be letting schools know? I hope they don't get mad at me for posting this in another forum. I got pointed to this thread after I posted it.

To answer your question: yes, it COULD matter. I had one acceptance for sure where the dean of admissions called me and mentioned the Yellow Ribbon Program and that I would pay nothing in tuition. I was way way below their typical GPA floor.

Where I think it could really help is getting off waitlists with a LOCI, or with a requested additional letter of interest the school might request. You don't want to bash them over the head with it, but you can make a subtle mention with a "if offered a spot off the waitlist, I would unhesitatingly accept. My status as a disabled veteran allows me to choose a law school without concern over funding...blah blah blah." I just threw those words together, but you get the idea. I think it could help on the margins, and just take one more thing out of the adcomm's decision matrix.

Thanks for the response. I think I was a little over optimistic in my application cycle. Thought I was growing to crush the LSAT but lets just say it did not go according to plan. I avoid posting too much or asking for too much advice because I do not feel like hearing retake/do not go to law school/ your life is over blah blah blah haha Lets see what happens and good luck to all of you.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:40 pm

Grunt2Grad wrote:
Thanks for the response. I think I was a little over optimistic in my application cycle. Thought I was growing to crush the LSAT but lets just say it did not go according to plan. I avoid posting too much or asking for too much advice because I do not feel like hearing retake/do not go to law school/ your life is over blah blah blah haha Lets see what happens and good luck to all of you.
Free law school generally works out better for eliminating some risk, so there's that. But PM me if you want some general advice based on your current scores. I didn't retake, but I had a score below which I was absolutely going to. I exceeded it by one point.

hokie6260

New

Post by hokie6260 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:04 pm

I am currently working on getting my transcripts sent to LSAC for next cycle. Do I need to get my Joint Services Transcript summarizing some of the credit I received from military training/education? I can't seem to find in the list of options from the drop down menus where this applies. However, when I went to submit my JST, there was an option for sending it to LSAC. Confused? Me too!

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:17 pm

hokie6260 wrote:I am currently working on getting my transcripts sent to LSAC for next cycle. Do I need to get my Joint Services Transcript summarizing some of the credit I received from military training/education? I can't seem to find in the list of options from the drop down menus where this applies. However, when I went to submit my JST, there was an option for sending it to LSAC. Confused? Me too!
I had to send in my transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force. They didn't count the grades for anything though. (Not 100% sure if CCAF even gives grades)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:23 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
Grunt2Grad wrote:
Free law school generally works out better for eliminating some risk, so there's that. But PM me if you want some general advice based on your current scores. I didn't retake, but I had a score below which I was absolutely going to. I exceeded it by one point.
Yeah, 0 debt does change the equation quite a bit, because it's okay to barely squeak into a good school, whereas other people need to do well enough that they don't have to pay sticker. That said, you still shouldn't waste your GI Bill/Voc rehab on a dump. Feel free to PM me as well if you want advice without publicizing your numbers.

storpappa

Silver

Post by storpappa » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:34 pm

You only get the VRE once, so spend it wisely

On the transcripts, make sure they are labeled as Miliary courses, otherwise someone may have assigned you a C passing grade, which can drag a GPA down

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:41 pm

Grunt2Grad wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:

Don't get too down about not crushing the LSAT. I am in the same boat. I took it initially thinking "over a 160 I won't retake" and I got a 158. I put foot to ass with studying and was PTing in the low 170s very consistently, and then dropped 5+ points and left December with a 165. I plateaued with the Kaplan course. On my own I was able to see a consistent 10 point increase in my practice tests, even though I only pulled out 7 points on the real deal. I have a 3.2GPA I need to overcome so hopefully that will do it. My point is the "retake the LSAT" advice that pops up on this forum all the time is actually pretty good. It's a very learnable test. Even if it means sitting out law school another year, it may be worth it. I have already decided that if I don't get in where I want, I won't go this year, and I'm already in at my "safeties." Why I bothered applying I'm not even sure.

Mike

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:36 am

hokie6260 wrote:I am currently working on getting my transcripts sent to LSAC for next cycle. Do I need to get my Joint Services Transcript summarizing some of the credit I received from military training/education? I can't seem to find in the list of options from the drop down menus where this applies. However, when I went to submit my JST, there was an option for sending it to LSAC. Confused? Me too!
40 of my undergraduate credits were from my JST and I didn't need to send mine in to get my LSAC GPA. I also just provided my undergraduate transcripts to the law school I am attending and they didn't need my JST.
Last edited by navykev on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hokie6260

New

Post by hokie6260 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:03 pm

Thanks NavyKev! How was your success in your cycle? Did you get in where you wanted?

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:13 pm

hokie6260 wrote:Thanks NavyKev! How was your success in your cycle? Did you get in where you wanted?
GULC was my first choice - applied ED in September and was in before Halloween - so my cycle was brief. Had some curious phone calls from other T14s when I withdrew my apps that lead me to believe they were interested. If you want to know specific details PM me any time - don't want to fill up this message board with my law school app adventures.

JazzyMac

Bronze

Post by JazzyMac » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:02 pm

Can the person who updates the GI Bill/YRP chart send me a pm or post here?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:56 pm

JazzyMac wrote:Can the person who updates the GI Bill/YRP chart send me a pm or post here?
Tis me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:45 pm

In at Texas! So excited!

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:44 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:In at Texas! So excited!
Sweet! Congrats F-FLT!!!

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:45 pm

navykev wrote:
Sweet! Congrats F-FLT!!!
Thanks! Now I just need big blue to let me go!

Ex Cearulo

Bronze

Post by Ex Cearulo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:20 am

FairchildFLT wrote:
navykev wrote:
Sweet! Congrats F-FLT!!!
Thanks! Now I just need big blue to let me go!
When you say let you go, what's your story? Trying to separate early? Congrats, by the way!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Hahahahahaha....accepted to UT on Monday...tasked to deploy on Tuesday. American, fuck yeah!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:29 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:Hahahahahaha....accepted to UT on Monday...tasked to deploy on Tuesday. American, fuck yeah!
lol shit. Stay safe.

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:39 pm

reserves tried to deploy me during 3L year. i made enough noise that eventually they voluntold someone else. idk if you want this tasking or not but if not, it's not a done deal until you're in the shit. but you probably know this.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:41 pm

seizmaar wrote:reserves tried to deploy me during 3L year. i made enough noise that eventually they voluntold someone else. idk if you want this tasking or not but if not, it's not a done deal until you're in the shit. but you probably know this.
I'm currently exploring all available options to avoid this. The thing that pisses me off is we have multiple volunteers, but no one else in my bucket.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:45 pm

Is it a year long deployment? If nothing else I'm sure UT would let you defer

regulartime

Bronze

Post by regulartime » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:34 pm

Quick question. Is it normal for your tuition to be prorated if your Post 9/11 eligibility runs out in the middle of the semester? I thought that if you still had eligibility at the beginning of a semester that the semester's tuition was fully covered. I've been told by my soon to be school that I will be responsible for a prorated amount of tuition for a semester since my eligibility will run out during the semester.

Basically I have 13 months and 22 days of eligibility left, so I was expecting to get 1L and 2L tuition covered since I would start semester 2 of 2L with a little eligibility remaining. They are saying that I will have to cover part of that semester's tuition and fees. Just want to know if that is normal.

Thanks

DrSpaceman

Bronze

Post by DrSpaceman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:42 pm

I had always thought that they will cut your BAH off at the end of the final month, but that your tuition benefit should carry though the semester.

regulartime

Bronze

Post by regulartime » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:44 pm

DrSpaceman wrote:I had always thought that they will cut your BAH off at the end of the final month, but that your tuition benefit should carry though the semester.
That's what I thought as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”