Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
uorbulldog

New

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by uorbulldog » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:13 am

I was wondering what the general consensus by admissions folks would be for LORs that come from career level or higher PME schools, i.e. for Marine officers- Expeditionary Warfare School or Command and Staff College; as well as the other service equivalents. I'm talking about non-resident seminar programs, not the full-time degree granting version. So usually it's a retired O5-O7 leading a seminar that is generally focused on lectures, discussions, and military sand-table style exercises.. so not exactly the most traditionally academically strenuous courses. But I suppose it kind of mixes what would be a work experience or boss LOR but w/ a little more academic flavor? This would be in addition to a direct supervisor or CO letter of course.

golfenstate

New

Post by golfenstate » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:11 pm

Question for applying for summer extern/internships in your 1L year:

Alot of us don't have prior experience in the legal or business field (full-time military after highschool, liberal arts major, etc). How are you guys selling yourselves to business-oriented firms that are 50+ strong? Grades don't come out until late-Jan either so there's that.

I guess I can try and prop up my military/volunteer service, but I feel like that wont have that much of an effect on business-oriented firms. I'm at a huge disadvantage compared to the hordes of 1Ls w/ MBAs or worked in real estate for a few years.

I feel like I'm missing a key piece here. If I'm SOL, should I just stick to judicial clerkships?

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:15 pm

sell your NCO/officer experience. it's management

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Any SMU veterans out there? I'm leaning most towards trying to wind up in Texas so I've got apps in to UT and SMU. They've got a student spotlight about veterans...and there are only two listed. This leads me to believe SMU does not have a very prominent veteran community...or any community.

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Just got a 165, I don't think that will get me into UVA with a 3.2GPA, but I'll hold out hope. Hopefully I'll be good for BC, BU, Emory, and W&L though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

californiadreamin15

New

Post by californiadreamin15 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:39 pm

Greetings fellow veterans. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with voc rehab. I've already used 12 months of my Post 9/11 GI Bill, with only this upcoming semester left before graduation. I was planning on "uncertifying" for this semester to save my remaining months for law school. However, I have a 70% disability rating and I've just recently been made aware of the voc rehab program. What should I do? It would be nice to get a refund for this semester, but only if I knew I'd still have all of my law school covered. What are my chances of getting approved for voc rehab? If high, is it worth the short term gain of using more GI Bill? Semper Fidelis and Happy New Year to you all.

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:37 pm

I used 1 school year of voc rehab for my senior year and will be using the rest for law school. Its a good program, though I was told it does not apply retroactively. You also need to stay on top of your counselor. If you want something done right... S in BAMCIS.

Mike

nontrad2014

New

Post by nontrad2014 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:48 am

californiadreamin15 wrote:Greetings fellow veterans. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with voc rehab. I've already used 12 months of my Post 9/11 GI Bill, with only this upcoming semester left before graduation. I was planning on "uncertifying" for this semester to save my remaining months for law school. However, I have a 70% disability rating and I've just recently been made aware of the voc rehab program. What should I do? It would be nice to get a refund for this semester, but only if I knew I'd still have all of my law school covered. What are my chances of getting approved for voc rehab? If high, is it worth the short term gain of using more GI Bill? Semper Fidelis and Happy New Year to you all.
I started on GI Bill and transferring to Voc Rehab this spring. This will be my second time (two different schools) using voc rehab. I think being accepted to a law school makes the sell easier. Also, when it comes to selling you need to show that a legal education makes the most sense with your disabilities. Voc rehab covers a lot more than just tuition. This semester I'll be getting a new computer and dragon speaks legal software. My counselor is really good, and like stated above, stay on top of them. Best of luck.

nontrad2014

New

Post by nontrad2014 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:12 am

bjsesq wrote:Any of you fucks have experience with the VA home loan?
I have four properties (two with VA loans and two with conventional). Like others mentioned the big benefits are 0 down and decent interest rates. I have used USAA, NFCU, Prime Lending, and Mann Mortgage. USAA is an abortion in regards to mortgages. They have no clue what they are talking about. Read the VA underwriting guidlines so you know how they review your file, you know what are "may," and what pieces are "shall." Then, call the banks/credit unions and ask what their overlays are. VA underwriting guidelines are very broad and friendly to the consumer. The banks have stricter overlay requirements and that's what you'll want to know so you don't waste an application.

Twice I used USAA and both times right before closing they said, "Sorry, you need to put X amount of money down to close." Always conflicting info from them because they outsource. If you have questions feel free to PM me. I manage the 3 properties myself and crunch numbers so if I can be of help let me know. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:24 am

nontrad2014 wrote: I have four properties (two with VA loans and two with conventional).
Are both VA loans yours? I know it's sometimes possible to have two VA loans at once using "bonus entitlement", but I'm wondering if most lenders are familiar with the process, or if it would just be a giant red-ass.

nontrad2014

New

Post by nontrad2014 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:30 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
nontrad2014 wrote: I have four properties (two with VA loans and two with conventional).
Are both VA loans yours? I know it's sometimes possible to have two VA loans at once using "bonus entitlement", but I'm wondering if most lenders are familiar with the process, or if it would just be a giant red-ass.
Both VA loans were originated by me. I used the bonus entitlement, which lenders should be knowledgeable with. When I was shopping around and a lender said, "You can only have one VA loan," I was off the phone and on to my next bank. Also, certain states like Oregon have a state run VA home loan program. Here, you can have two federal VA loans and another four state run VA loans.

nontrad2014

New

Post by nontrad2014 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:47 am

Anyone care to review a 1L resume for summer internships? It's been bastardized down to one page.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:09 pm

nontrad2014 wrote:Anyone care to review a 1L resume for summer internships? It's been bastardized down to one page.

Pm me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Does anyone else have war buddies who you are watching slowly go insane? Not self harm (unfortunately, we all have that) but like survivalist, racist, and/or conspiracy nut?

I have three good buddies who have just descended into more and more bizarre face book posting and irl behavior. Part of me chalks it up to military service exposing me to a wide cross segment of the US, and some of it "former high school quarterback syndrome" (I.e. you'll never be as cool as you were when you and your best friends drove around in two tin vehicles making grown men cry), but I'm a little concerned.

Does paranoia/delusions/schizoid behavior (all used without any medical knowledge) correlate with military service?

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:39 pm

yes. the military is just a breeding ground for that shit. and maybe PTSD i dunno. i know people (officers!) who were (and are) very intelligent who now believe all kinds of ludicrous shit about FEMA and the Fed.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Yes. Some are ultra right nuts, and some are dead. It's gonna get worse, man.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:45 pm

Yes. And I recently had a friend commit suicide this past Veteran's Day. Check on your brothers, and make sure you get help if you need/want it too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uorbulldog

New

Post by uorbulldog » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Anybody have any recent LSAT experience in the Middle East like Bahrain or Kuwait and travelling to take it while deployed? I remember it was easy to take the GRE or GMAT in Afghanistan because you fly to Kandahar, but you could take those tests pretty much anytime.

Just found out I'll probably be in the field for the weekend of this February test (terrible coincidence), and then I'll be deployed in CENTCOM for June, September, and October tests. (I'll be applying next fall, so was hoping not to have to wait until December.)

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:06 pm

uorbulldog wrote:Anybody have any recent LSAT experience inghe Middle East like Bahrain or Kuwait and travelling to take it while deployed? I remember it was easy to take the GRE or GMAT in Afghanistan because you fly to Kandahar, but you could take those tests pretty much anytime.

Just found out I'll probably be in the field for the weekend of this February test (terrible coincidence), and then I'll be deployed in CENTCOM for June, September, and October tests. (I'll be applying next fall, so was hoping not to have to wait until December.)
I know this is alien to our nature, and is tragically unlikely to work, but try notifying your command and see if they are willing to be human. If you have a midlevel dick who will squash your future for no reason, try going to SJA (I'm assuming your a grunt, or that POGs have SJAs) for "mentorship" and see if he can go to bat.

I had a pretty friendly relationship with the lawyer at my final command who I was lucky enough to meet at a LOW class and let me pick his brain about law school for a few months. He assured that I had access to internet and phones during application season, even though we were deployed.

uorbulldog

New

Post by uorbulldog » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am peers with our SJA and I have a good relationship with my XO/CO at the regimental level, so my concern isn't that my unit would prohibit me, it would be more in terms of whether or not it's even available where I'll be at. That's why I mentioned Bahrain, because I'll probably have pretty easy access in and out of there

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:52 pm

uorbulldog wrote:Thanks for the reply. I am peers with our SJA and I have a good relationship with my XO/CO at the regimental level, so my concern isn't that my unit would prohibit me, it would be more in terms of whether or not it's even available where I'll be at. That's why I mentioned Bahrain, because I'll probably have pretty easy access in and out of there
... so you are the midlevel dick

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

uorbulldog

New

Post by uorbulldog » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:54 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
uorbulldog wrote:Thanks for the reply. I am peers with our SJA and I have a good relationship with my XO/CO at the regimental level, so my concern isn't that my unit would prohibit me, it would be more in terms of whether or not it's even available where I'll be at. That's why I mentioned Bahrain, because I'll probably have pretty easy access in and out of there
... so you are the midlevel dick
Haha, yeah I was thinking about that as I was replying.. Sometimes you get to command.. other times you gotta be a staff biatch

mike0331

Bronze

Post by mike0331 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:20 am

SemperLegal wrote:Does anyone else have war buddies who you are watching slowly go insane? Not self harm (unfortunately, we all have that) but like survivalist, racist, and/or conspiracy nut?

I have three good buddies who have just descended into more and more bizarre face book posting and irl behavior. Part of me chalks it up to military service exposing me to a wide cross segment of the US, and some of it "former high school quarterback syndrome" (I.e. you'll never be as cool as you were when you and your best friends drove around in two tin vehicles making grown men cry), but I'm a little concerned.

Does paranoia/delusions/schizoid behavior (all used without any medical knowledge) correlate with military service?
Depends on how you define insane... unfortunately I seem to know more and more "professional veterans." I guess you could lump that in with highschool QB syndrome.

I think a lot of vets are more weary of the government. but how can you not be?

Mike

storpappa

Silver

Post by storpappa » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:52 am

Great threads lots of info thanks for sharing

I did my VRE in Sept, got a pre-approval, handed some forms told to come back in a few months with my law school acceptance letters, and a VA form for a physical completed

I spent the time up till the Sept test dealing with getting accommodations. My own fault, got so involved in the LSAC and VA process of forms signed, at one point I had delayed it from Sept to Dec. Glad I didn't the cold score was motivation. I earned a cold 154.
When results came out, immediately re registered, and studied. Dec was a 164

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:17 pm

Whats up Vets?

Since I am already fully funded through voc rehab does this play a roll in admissions decision? Is it something I should be letting schools know? I hope they don't get mad at me for posting this in another forum. I got pointed to this thread after I posted it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”