Veterans Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dannyswo

Re: Veterans Thread

Postby dannyswo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:27 am

Timm wrote:I'm British military, posted out here in the US.

Does anybody have any objections to me tagging along to this thread?

I'm cool with it as long as you're not RAF. :lol:

Where are you at and what do you do? I just finished an exchange in the UK.

Wipfelder

Postby Wipfelder » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:56 am

dannyswo wrote:
Timm wrote:I'm British military, posted out here in the US.

Does anybody have any objections to me tagging along to this thread?

I'm cool with it as long as you're not RAF. :lol:

Where are you at and what do you do? I just finished an exchange in the UK.

Or those insufferable guardsmen!

Also joking, but they're an easy target. You should send an email to service to school's JD program. They might be able to help you.

BOCKTAGON

Postby BOCKTAGON » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Hello everyone. Active duty Navy here. I plan on taking the December exam. Do any of you know if you can apply to colleges before you have an LSAT score? I am worried about getting looked over if I wait until after the exam in December. What are the consinces on this? Thanks in advance.

haus

Postby haus » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:13 pm

BOCKTAGON wrote:Hello everyone. Active duty Navy here. I plan on taking the December exam. Do any of you know if you can apply to colleges before you have an LSAT score? I am worried about getting looked over if I wait until after the exam in December. What are the consinces on this? Thanks in advance.

I would suggest reviewing the Spivey thread as discussion on impacts of test dates have come around a few times, if you do not see what you are looking for, the former adcoms in that thread have been a useful resource for many.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=197451

sodomojo

Postby sodomojo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 am

Anyone apply with say a year or two remaining on your commitment, with full intent on deferring? Is such a request likely to be granted? Or are they reserved for sudden deployments or something of that sort. Just a thought since admissions seem to be returning to a transitional/unpredictable phase - wondering if it might be wise to apply sooner rather than later.

Dcc617

Postby Dcc617 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:08 am

sodomojo wrote:Anyone apply with say a year or two remaining on your commitment, with full intent on deferring? Is such a request likely to be granted? Or are they reserved for sudden deployments or something of that sort. Just a thought since admissions seem to be returning to a transitional/unpredictable phase - wondering if it might be wise to apply sooner rather than later.

My school gives deferments for just about anything up to a certain date cutoff. It probably depends on the school though.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 am

Hey everyone. Sorry it took me so long this year to get this information together, but here is my updated spreadsheet for the Post-9/11 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon school cost comparison for this year:

2017-18 GI Bill + Yellow Ribbon

A few notes:

1. Welcome to the land of the free (schools) Yale, who this year went full match for an unlimited number of veterans. Now all you high-achieving folks can add another top school to your decision matrix.

2. NYU and Columbia continue to maintain their $20K match, which is no longer covering the full tuition (after GI Bill). Otherwise, the entire T14 would be free now. They are still damn cheap, but any vets at those schools might want to give a little nudge and let them know that their peers are quickly moving to unlimited to account for how much tuition outpaces GI Bill increases.

3. I did NOT include health insurance in this spreadsheet. For the schools that make it mandatory, YR should cover that as well (assuming available dollars).

4. I've posted the link to the spreadsheet in this thread's OP as well, for easy access later.

5. Denver now added YRP, making Baylor and BYU the only non-YRP schools in the top 100. BYU is dirt cheap anyway, even if you aren't LDS. So can someone get Baylor to join the party? I mean, SMU is free for 100% GI Bill vets, and Baylor will run you $34K+. If you're deciding between those as a vet? I'll take free. You can find other stingy schools at the bottom of the spreadsheet as well (Tulane, Loyola-LA, Miami, Boston U).

Any questions or errors you find, please reach out.

AJordan

Postby AJordan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Serious thanks, MT. If you ever, like, need a van unloaded or something let me know.

KPUSN07

Postby KPUSN07 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Seriously annoying that BC and BU don't offer more $$$....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”