CenterFringe wrote:CMac86 wrote:What did you guys do between starting terminal leave/end of contract and starting school?
I'm planning fairly far out. I have two years left on my contract. I've talked to my command career counselor and developed a plan for getting the wheels in motion.
If all goes well, I'll be knocking a month off of my contract via early out so my EAOS will be a month before school starts, and then the exact amount of time of terminal I'll be authorized will depend on when they can get a replacement for me. I'm the only person with my NEC at my command, so I'm mentally preparing for two possibilities: having to work right up until my EAOS and then on the flipside, being authorized to take the maximum terminal (in my case, I could have up to 90 days on the books since my EAOS is before the start of the next fiscal year). I've read milpers 1050-10 and 1050-20, and it sounds like it is at OIC discretion and depends on if they can get a replacement early enough. If all of that works out, I'll have about 120 days between start of terminal and the start of school. I'm saving up money for a buffer fund, if all goes well, I'll have 6-8 months worth of living expenses (rent, food, bills, etc) saved up. I know that I'll be house/apartment hunting, but I'm more so curious about what else you guys did.
So I thought I was going to be able to get out about 6 weeks before classes started. Literally had orders in my hand for about an hour before they got pulled back. While I still may get out two weeks before classes start, the lack of certainty has made it impossible to commit to starting classes this fall, so I deferred for a year and will just sell back my leave. I know it's NBD, but it was pretty hard, emotionally, to submit that deferral, especially after going to ASW.
I'm going to live with my dad for 6 months, probably volunteer with the Colorado Legal Society and/or an substantively relevant organization in an attempt to set myself up for a good paying 1L externship. I'm also planning to do a metric-shit ton of skiing, climbing, and hiking over that six months, and then travel for the remaining three or four, to do some more climbing. Due to the lack of need to pay rent, I'm currently not planning on working, although I may pick up a short term project (I'm an engineer by trade) to make a little beer money, but I honestly don't know that I even want to do that. I'm feeling pretty burned out right now.
Anyway, a lot can change in two years, and it's so easy for the O-5/O-6 to just say "not until your replacement arrives" and, well, there goes your plan, so be financially and emotionally prepared if you've gotta wait a year to start classes.
I'd take it up your chain of command. Make the O-5/O-6 explain to the flag why his organization can't deal with one fewer person for a couple of weeks.
Funding might be an issue right now in releasing orders.