Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Billy Madison

Bronze

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by Billy Madison » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:59 pm

ToadToad wrote:Enlisted Marine checking in. Just curious to hear anyone's thoughts on Service2School. I stumbled across it the other day and filled out their form. Have any of you had any experience working with them?
Working with them this cycle. Got matched up with a former Ranger officer who goes to Berkeley. Pretty cool dude, mostly helping with my personal statement, diversity statement, and resume. I'd recommend using them. They just paired me up with this guy and then they pretty much step back. I've been focusing on LSAT prep for Oct, so I haven't talked to him in a few weeks now.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:14 am

TripTrip wrote:
Totally missed this. I'm a 3L and have been National Guard the whole time. Works fine.

I'm even halfway across the country from my unit and fly home most months. The tuition reimbursement for me ($36k/yr) is totally worth it.

If your leadership isn't will to work with you to reassign a two-week training so you can attend OCI, you just have shitty leadership. I missed 3 weeks of my internship last year for training, but it was not a big deal. The employer understood.

I was almost deployed. It might have been shitty timing, but it's not like there's ever a good time in your life to be deployed.

It's totally doable, but to each his own.
Thanks for responding! You're the first person I've spoken to who has said it's doable.

How much time on a weekly basis have you had to commit to it? And has it ever impeded you taking an opportunity somewhere, eg, summer associate at a firm? I know you said you had to miss 3 weeks of an internship.

Thanks again,

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:10 am

Dcc617 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Totally missed this. I'm a 3L and have been National Guard the whole time. Works fine.

I'm even halfway across the country from my unit and fly home most months. The tuition reimbursement for me ($36k/yr) is totally worth it.

If your leadership isn't will to work with you to reassign a two-week training so you can attend OCI, you just have shitty leadership. I missed 3 weeks of my internship last year for training, but it was not a big deal. The employer understood.

I was almost deployed. It might have been shitty timing, but it's not like there's ever a good time in your life to be deployed.

Thanks for responding! You're the first person I've spoken to who has said it's doable.

How much time on a weekly basis have you had to commit to it? And has it ever impeded you taking an opportunity somewhere, eg, summer associate at a firm? I know you said you had to miss 3 weeks of an internship.

Thanks again,
Sure. For the units I have been in, it really is 1 weekend a month/2 weeks per year. Specifically, it's 48 MUTAs + one set of 14 days of active orders. This comes out to an average of one weekend a month, but in practice a few of those MUTAs will get tacked on to your AT to make it longer and you'll do a few MUTA 6s during the year and skip drill one month.

To put this in perspective, I transferred units in the fall and the new unit had me skip 2 MUTAs because I had completed extra MUTAs at the first unit and would be over for the year. This year I lucked out even more because my unit was on a deployment schedule and got pulled off, so they let some soldiers choose not to receive active orders since the funding was coming for a different pot (but that one isn't normal).

I know there are units where they are not this straightforward. For example my cousin is somehow doing MUTA 8s every month, and I have no idea why or how. I'm in intel and have been in both an intel company and a division HQ. Neither would ever consider doing something asinine like that.

Re your weekly basis question: I'm an E5, so weekly is trivial. I check in with my guys. That's probably different if you're an O3. I have no intention of commissioning. Monthly is drill. If drill conflicts with something (finals, OCI, whatever), leadership in both units have been supportive of me splitting with the local RSP or something similar. Once again, that might be unit-type particular, since intel leaders tend to strongly value civilian education and fully support me going to law school. Maybe in an infantry unit they would be less supportive.

It's never impeded me taking an opportunity anywhere. The legal field is almost best for this, because most places you would work have someone on the hiring team who knows employment law and won't let them make stupid and potentially illegal decisions about whether to hire you based on your military commitments. It would have sucked if I had gotten annual training orders during my SA firm job since I would have missed out on some $$$, but there's only like a 25% chance of that happening.

This term it is affecting how I put together my class schedule, because my annual training is scheduled for the two weeks in between the end of classes and the beginning of finals. Thus, I just dropped a class that has a final that is known to be very tough and was scheduled for the day after I got back. I probably could have gotten the school to reschedule it for me, but it was simpler to just take a class that doesn't have a final. Overall this timing for AT is actually wonderful for me because it means I won't have to worry about missing work next year.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:24 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Thanks again,
Sure. For the units I have been in, it really is 1 weekend a month/2 weeks per year. Specifically, it's 48 MUTAs + one set of 14 days of active orders. This comes out to an average of one weekend a month, but in practice a few of those MUTAs will get tacked on to your AT to make it longer and you'll do a few MUTA 6s during the year and skip drill one month.

To put this in perspective, I transferred units in the fall and the new unit had me skip 2 MUTAs because I had completed extra MUTAs at the first unit and would be over for the year. This year I lucked out even more because my unit was on a deployment schedule and got pulled off, so they let some soldiers choose not to receive active orders since the funding was coming for a different pot (but that one isn't normal).

I know there are units where they are not this straightforward. For example my cousin is somehow doing MUTA 8s every month, and I have no idea why or how. I'm in intel and have been in both an intel company and a division HQ. Neither would ever consider doing something asinine like that.

Re your weekly basis question: I'm an E5, so weekly is trivial. I check in with my guys. That's probably different if you're an O3. I have no intention of commissioning. Monthly is drill. If drill conflicts with something (finals, OCI, whatever), leadership in both units have been supportive of me splitting with the local RSP or something similar. Once again, that might be unit-type particular, since intel leaders tend to strongly value civilian education and fully support me going to law school. Maybe in an infantry unit they would be less supportive.

It's never impeded me taking an opportunity anywhere. The legal field is almost best for this, because most places you would work have someone on the hiring team who knows employment law and won't let them make stupid and potentially illegal decisions about whether to hire you based on your military commitments. It would have sucked if I had gotten annual training orders during my SA firm job since I would have missed out on some $$$, but there's only like a 25% chance of that happening.

This term it is affecting how I put together my class schedule, because my annual training is scheduled for the two weeks in between the end of classes and the beginning of finals. Thus, I just dropped a class that has a final that is known to be very tough and was scheduled for the day after I got back. I probably could have gotten the school to reschedule it for me, but it was simpler to just take a class that doesn't have a final. Overall this timing for AT is actually wonderful for me because it means I won't have to worry about missing work next year.
That's about as thorough of an answer as I could have hoped for. Thanks a bunch!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:33 pm

It definitely makes way more sense to do if you'nt qualify for 100% GI Bill.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:02 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:It definitely makes way more sense to do if you'nt qualify for 100% GI Bill.
Ah yes, that's key. If I didn't get the extra school funding I probably would not have extended my contract.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:37 pm

TripTrip wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:It definitely makes way more sense to do if you'nt qualify for 100% GI Bill.
Ah yes, that's key. If I didn't get the extra school funding I probably would not have extended my contract.
See, I get the full GI Bill, so I'd be doing it for the bonus, drill pay, and insurance (and to keep serving!). I think that's why my calculations are so difficult, because it's extra money, but not game changing extra money.

Right now I'm leaning towards no, but im taking your account into consideration Trip. Thanks.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
See, I get the full GI Bill, so I'd be doing it for the bonus, drill pay, and insurance (and to keep serving!). I think that's why my calculations are so difficult, because it's extra money, but not game changing extra money.

Right now I'm leaning towards no, but im taking your account into consideration Trip. Thanks.
Hmm. I don't think I'd do it for drill pay + bonus. There's just too much opportunity cost. On the insurance side, you should check to see if your school has sponsored insurance. I think I'd be paying a similar rate at HLS as I pay for Reserve Select Tricare.

BNA

Bronze

Post by BNA » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:34 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mdubs314

New

Post by mdubs314 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:33 pm

All,

FREE ADMISSIONS CONSULTING SERVICE FOR VETS
(Active duty, reserve/guard, retired, separated; Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard)

I work with a non-Profit called Service to School. We were founded by vets, for vets. We specialize in helping vets get into the best school possible by assisting with the full gamut of admission requirements (LSAT prep, essays, resume, letters of rec, interview prep).

While our services are mostly utilized by enlisted without a 4-year degree who are looking into an undergrad school, we also specialize in helping vets who are looking into B-school and law school, too. So far, we have over 100 success stories.

we have a conference/workshop coming up on 24 October in the DC area. Harvard and Georgetown will both be leading workshops on how to navigate the law school admissions process.

Seats are limited so register ASAP. The event is specifically geared towards vets. Other schools will be running workshops for undergrads and b-school hopefuls as well. Anna Ivey, a former Dean of Admissions at UChicago Law (who currently runs her own admissions consulting firm), will also be working with the law school workshops.

For those NOT in the DC area, you can also register for live streaming.

Registration is FREE for vets==> https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2015-servi ... ref=ecount

http://service2school.org/about-s2s/our-story/

Follow us on FB and message me if you have any questions.
Last edited by mdubs314 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdubs314

New

Post by mdubs314 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:54 pm

ToadToad wrote:Enlisted Marine checking in. Just curious to hear anyone's thoughts on Service2School. I stumbled across it the other day and filled out their form. Have any of you had any experience working with them?
If still looking for answers, Let me know how I can help. Feel free to ask on here or through PM.
Last edited by mdubs314 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:29 am

I'm moving Mdubs to the OP, unless anyone objects to his motives. Also, I am fairly checked out, so looking for someone to take over the OP.

EyesForward

New

Post by EyesForward » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:22 pm

New to the forums. Like most, I'm looking for suggestions/advice/opinion regarding admissions.

Military Info:
1LT - Army National Guard
UH60M Pilot (2.5 years)
No Deployments
Graduated Top of Flight School Class
Work Experience: Senior Financial Analyst @ largest CPA firm in my state (1.5 years)

GPA: 2.91 B.S. from big state with a significant upward trend. Changed majors three times and finished with a 3.4 over my last 60 hours.
LSAT: 158 & 164
Two very, very strong LoR's

I'm extremely focused on Aviation Law, which does not play much of a factor in JD admissions outside of the fact that I absolutely know what I want to do and will be able to clearly communicate that in my applications. Hoping to emphasize the low GPA is attributed to an inability to decide on a degree path/career rather than intellectual/academic ability. I found what I wanted to do (Aviation) and immediately finished at the top of my flight school class as a result.

What do y'all think regarding my admissions possibilities? Are schools like BC/BU/UNC realistic? Scholarship chances at such schools? How about a 'reach' school such as Northwestern/Vandy? I'm confident I would be looking at some nice money from schools like Tulane but want to maximize my admission opportunities as much as possible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mdubs314

New

Post by mdubs314 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:31 pm

EyesForward wrote:New to the forums. Like most, I'm looking for suggestions/advice/opinion regarding admissions.

Military Info:
UH60M Pilot (2.5 years)
No Deployments
Work Experience: Senior Financial Analyst @ largest CPA firm in my state (1.5 years)

GPA: 2.91 B.S. from big state with a significant upward trend. Changed majors three times and finished with a 3.4 over my last 60 hours.

I'm extremely focused on Aviation Law, which does not play much of a factor in JD admissions outside of the fact that I absolutely know what I want to do and will be able to clearly communicate that in my applications. Hoping to emphasize the low GPA is attributed to an inability to decide on a degree path/career rather than intellectual/academic ability. I found what I wanted to do (Aviation) and immediately finished at the top of my flight school class as a result.

What do y'all think regarding my admissions possibilities? Are schools like BC/BU/UNC realistic? Scholarship chances at such schools? How about a 'reach' school such as Northwestern/Vandy? I'm confident I would be looking at some nice money from schools like Tulane but want to maximize my admission opportunities as much as possible.
1) with a 164 in the current law school market, those schools are realistic.
2) the fact that your uGPA was 5'ish years ago helps, too.
3) blanket the T14. You'll likely get 1-2 bites. Be ready to make a hard push with those that WL you.
4) I'd say the T15-T23 are in your wheelhouse if you have a spotless application and a good PS.
5) if you want to focus on aviation law, get your ATP to add to your credibility down the road.
6) don't go overboard with the uGPA addendum. Don't overthink it. Whatever the issue was, explain how you've fixed it and why it's no longer an issue. The upward rise on the last 60hrs is what you want them to focus on. Leave it at that.
7) NW and Vandy are both great schools for Vets. I would suggest adding WUSTL to your list. also very vet friendly.

Shameless plug that you should be contacting service2School if you haven't already. Register for the live streaming workshop on 24 Oct if you'll be available.
Last edited by mdubs314 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy Madison

Bronze

Post by Billy Madison » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:05 am

mdubs314 wrote:
EyesForward wrote:New to the forums. Like most, I'm looking for suggestions/advice/opinion regarding admissions.

Military Info:
UH60M Pilot (2.5 years)
No Deployments

Two very, very strong LoR's

3) blanket the T14. You'll likely get 1-2 bites. Be ready to make a hard push with those that WL you.
4) I'd say the T15-T23 are in your wheelhouse if you have a spotless application and a good PS.
5) if you want to focus on aviation law, get your ATP to add to your credibility down the road.
6) don't go overboard with the uGPA addendum. Don't overthink it. Whatever the issue was, explain how you've fixed it and why it's no longer an issue. The upward rise on the last 60hrs is what you want them to focus on. Leave it at that.
7) NW and Vandy are both great schools for Vets. I would suggest adding WUSTL to your list. also very vet friendly.

Shameless plug that you should be contacting service2School if you haven't already. Register for the live streaming workshop on 24 Oct if you'll be available.
I'm curious to get other opinions on the t-14 chances for someone with these numbers/resume. I've seen over and over that "you won't outperform your numbers" pretty much without exception. LSN would suggest such numbers are unlikely to meet any success in the t-14. I'm in a similar boat and hoping for a 170 in a couple weeks (though 165 is more realistic), but do you guys really think 2.9-3.0 and 165 have a decent chance at NW? I was an idiot in UG at a big state school, enlisted (promoted fast, spotless record), returned for 3 semesters with a 4.0 but only a 3.0 cumulative. I've been thinking it's 170 or bust... :o

EyesForward

New

Post by EyesForward » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:08 am

mdubs314 wrote:

Thanks for the input. I'm set to earn my fixed-wing transition this winter, to include CFI and CFII. I'll have to see on the ATP, though I agree it could help build my resume. In the PS, would you place a ton of emphasis on my aviation background as proof of my abilities or focus more of that background as a professional foundation going forward in law? I fully intend to communicate my intentions and desire to serve in Aviation Law but I want to be careful of how that may be perceived. As a user of the aviation system, I can absolutely twist that interest to separate myself as a candidate but style in doing so will be important.

NW is at the top of my list. The aviation industry there is huge and it seems to be the epicenter (along with DC) for the aviation law job market. I'm still thinking NW is a reach, but would be willing to work through the WL process to get there. We'll just have to see.

Any other opinions/input/similar experiences?

EyesForward

New

Post by EyesForward » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:14 am

gunton224 wrote:
I'm curious to get other opinions on the t-14 chances for someone with these numbers/resume. I've seen over and over that "you won't outperform your numbers" pretty much without exception. LSN would suggest such numbers are unlikely to meet any success in the t-14. I'm in a similar boat and hoping for a 170 in a couple weeks (though 165 is more realistic), but do you guys really think 2.9-3.0 and 165 have a decent chance at NW? I was an idiot in UG at a big state school, enlisted (promoted fast, spotless record), returned for 3 semesters with a 4.0 but only a 3.0 cumulative. I've been thinking it's 170 or bust... :o
I wasn't sure and that's why I sought input from others on this board. Prior to doing my research, I also thought it was 170 or bust for all of the T14's, regardless of who you were, what you had done outside of school, etc.

But reading through this forum (despite taking much of it with a grain of salt) has changed that opinion a little. Without the military aviation background/experience, I would still think it would be 170+ or bust with my GPA. That may still be the case regardless. Will I have to sit through the WL process to have a chance at those types of schools? Of course. Most will be straight denial and that's fine.

I think as long as you understand the blanketing strategy and its inherently low expectations, it is completely fine to throw the Hail Mary and see what happens.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArmyRN

New

Post by ArmyRN » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:53 am

Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I will be applying this cycle. I am an Army Captain who did ROTC in college. I am a nursing officer (worked Hematology/Oncology at Walter Reed for 3 years and Psych at Ft. Jackson for 2). Just finishing up my personal statement and resume.

Stats
GPA: 3.3
LSAT: 172

BNA

Bronze

Post by BNA » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:38 pm

ArmyRN wrote:Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I will be applying this cycle. I am an Army Captain who did ROTC in college. I am a nursing officer (worked Hematology/Oncology at Walter Reed for 3 years and Psych at Ft. Jackson for 2). Just finishing up my personal statement and resume.

Stats
When did you leave WR?

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Ny vets. Quick way to make 550 and help prevent a future slew of vets with TBI.

No deployment requirements.

https://nyulangone.org/locations/cohen- ... arch-study

esypsylmnsqsy

New

Post by esypsylmnsqsy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:41 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Ny vets. Quick way to make 550 and help prevent a future slew of vets with TBI.

Thanks for the heads up. Their website says they are looking for vets who served in Iraq or Afghanistan, you had heard otherwise?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:17 pm

esypsylmnsqsy wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:Ny vets. Quick way to make 550 and help prevent a future slew of vets with TBI.

Thanks for the heads up. Their website says they are looking for vets who served in Iraq or Afghanistan, you had heard otherwise?
Yea. One of the students running it posted in my UG vet FB group that it was open to nondeploys to

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:20 pm

Stats
Stay safe and congrats on the LSAT, you'll crush your application cycle.

mdubs314

New

Post by mdubs314 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:32 pm

Stats
Great LSAT. Unless you have a clear favorite, don't apply ED (unless it's a T3). Every school is in play, even with a 3.3.

-Interview prep. Practice practice practice. This will likely be the difference between a T3 and a T7.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:21 am

mdubs314 wrote:

Stats
Great LSAT. Unless you have a clear favorite, don't apply ED (unless it's a T3). Every school is in play, even with a 3.3.

-Interview prep. Practice practice practice. This will likely be the difference between a T3 and a T7.
Great stats RN, you're going to have a great cycle. Just wanted to temper expectations because HYS is not in play with your GPA, but you are definitely in play everywhere below that. Congrats again, GL.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”