Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
agglomeration

New

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by agglomeration » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Decided to attend Berkeley law in the fall. Any other vets going to be starting there at that time?

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:17 pm

agglomeration wrote:Decided to attend Berkeley law in the fall. Any other vets going to be starting there at that time?

We have a pretty big Veterans group, I think there are at least 6-7 per class.

ket310

New

Post by ket310 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:09 am

Random questions to fellow soldiers/veterans!

I am to ETS in 2016 March, my re-enlistment window opens soon. I am in Colorado now. I would love to spend the rest of my army life in Korea (I'm Korean American), but I would have to re-enlist one more year for it (ETS in 2017 July/Aug). I will be in 5.4 years instead of 4 years, and would be 29 instead of being 28 when I start law school.

Will there be big difference as to begin law school at 28 vs 29? I wouldn't think so, but not sure how the rest of the legal world looks at it. My career goal is big law litigation for 3-5 years and then federal gov't. Than!ks in advance for any reply!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:34 am

agglomeration wrote:Decided to attend Berkeley law in the fall. Any other vets going to be starting there at that time?
Welcome to the long golden line!

agglomeration

New

Post by agglomeration » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Rotor wrote:

Haha thank you. Although, i'm not even sure what that means.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:36 pm

ket310 wrote:Random questions to fellow soldiers/veterans!

I am to ETS in 2016 March, my re-enlistment window opens soon. I am in Colorado now. I would love to spend the rest of my army life in Korea (I'm Korean American), but I would have to re-enlist one more year for it (ETS in 2017 July/Aug). I will be in 5.4 years instead of 4 years, and would be 29 instead of being 28 when I start law school.

Will there be big difference as to begin law school at 28 vs 29? I wouldn't think so, but not sure how the rest of the legal world looks at it. My career goal is big law litigation for 3-5 years and then federal gov't. Than!ks in advance for any reply!
No. I was similar to you. My original enlistment was 4 years but I got tabbed for warrant and had to add a little over a year to when I could get out. I didn't see any significant difference except I was a few years older than my classmates. It didn't harm me at OCI either, In fact I think I outperformed my grades a bit because of my experience. Some people look at you like you're the old guy, but to be honest I'm ok with that. You spent your 20s serving your country and living in Asia. How many of the law students are ever going to be able to say that? I'd much rather do that than bill 2400hrs a year when I'm 25.

bowser

Bronze

Post by bowser » Thu May 01, 2014 9:25 pm

ket310 wrote:Random questions to fellow soldiers/veterans!

I started when I was 31. You're fine. If you really want to live in Korea for a while go for it.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri May 02, 2014 9:40 am

Well, good (not great) news from Northwestern. Looks like they'll be increasing their total slots to unlimited but keeping their contribution amount at $15k for Yellow Ribbon.

I'll know for sure when the data are released by the VA, but it appears that only 4 of the T14 will not be completely tuition/fee free for veterans: Yale, Penn, NU & G'town. The rest are free for YR-eligible veterans.

This has been a great thing for vets over the last number of years as more and more schools are leaning toward covering full freight. Look for my spreadsheet in early June with the updated costs for 2014-15 for the top-50 (or thereabouts), including BAH for each school.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Soco Law wrote:Well, good (not great) news from Northwestern. Looks like they'll be increasing their total slots to unlimited but keeping their contribution amount at $15k for Yellow Ribbon.

I'll know for sure when the data are released by the VA, but it appears that only 4 of the T14 will not be completely tuition/fee free for veterans: Yale, Penn, NU & G'town. The rest are free for YR-eligible veterans.

This has been a great thing for vets over the last number of years as more and more schools are leaning toward covering full freight. Look for my spreadsheet in early June with the updated costs for 2014-15 for the top-50 (or thereabouts), including BAH for each school.
edit: misread

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Fri May 02, 2014 11:34 pm

Soco Law wrote:Well, good (not great) news from Northwestern. Looks like they'll be increasing their total slots to unlimited but keeping their contribution amount at $15k for Yellow Ribbon.

This may be a dumb question...does YRP matter for public schools if you're 100% GI Bill eligible? I'm thinking it does not matter, but I'd rather be safe and ask.

whut

New

Post by whut » Fri May 02, 2014 11:46 pm

I've been out for years and still can't stand most civilians.
They are an odd bunch.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri May 02, 2014 11:50 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:

This may be a dumb question...does YRP matter for public schools if you're 100% GI Bill eligible? I'm thinking it does not matter, but I'd rather be safe and ask.
It can... depends on if you're in-state or if the school will give you in-state tuition.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sat May 03, 2014 12:20 am

whut wrote:I've been out for years and still can't stand most civilians.
They are an odd bunch.

And strangely, no matter how shitbag civilian I get and think I've grown up, I will never find the shenanigans of an enlisted barracks anything but the finest of entertainment and company

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whut

New

Post by whut » Sat May 03, 2014 12:26 am

SemperLegal wrote:
whut wrote:I've been out for years and still can't stand most civilians.
They are an odd bunch.

And strangely, no matter how shitbag civilian I get and think I've grown up, I will never find the shenanigans of an enlisted barracks anything but the finest of entertainment and company
17 year olds will be 17 year olds I guess.

I mostly just find it odd the sense of entitlement for nothing civilians have more times than not. I remember being in my 20's and students kneejerking into calling me "boomer" just because I thought that studying should be a prereq to be entitled to complain about not getting an A on an exam.

But meh, it takes all types to make the world go round I guess. Trust fund monies still help the economy. It's all good.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat May 03, 2014 12:08 pm

agglomeration wrote:
Rotor wrote:

Haha thank you. Although, i'm not even sure what that means.
West Point is known as the long gray line. Cal Golden Bears. Weak attempt at cleverness on my part.

RedJohnDoe

New

Post by RedJohnDoe » Sat May 03, 2014 12:31 pm

Sorry for the dumb question but I've looked a few places and didn't quite understand the wording... is the YRP calculated in addition to the standard post 9/11 GI Bill?

NYU example: NYU contributes $20k, the VA contributes $20k, then you have the standard $19k from the post 9/11 GI Bill to finish whatever the initial $40k doesn't cover?

Or when they say NYU is $20k are they considering it $10k from each for a total of $20k?

Going off of this: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/yello ... tes/ny.asp

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Sat May 03, 2014 12:57 pm

RedJohnDoe wrote:

Sorry for the dumb question but I've looked a few places and didn't quite understand the wording... is the YRP calculated in addition to the standard post 9/11 GI Bill?

NYU example: NYU contributes $20k, the VA contributes $20k, then you have the standard $19k from the post 9/11 GI Bill to finish whatever the initial $40k doesn't cover?

Or when they say NYU is $20k are they considering it $10k from each for a total of $20k?

It's additional (making NYU tuition-free for eligible vets). And GI this year is 20,235.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RedJohnDoe

New

Post by RedJohnDoe » Sat May 03, 2014 1:01 pm

Soco Law wrote:
RedJohnDoe wrote:

It's additional (making NYU tuition-free for eligible vets). And GI this year is 20,235.
Thanks! That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure before I started finalizing COA calculations.

uvandy

New

Post by uvandy » Sat May 17, 2014 7:44 am

As an update, my cycle is complete and I am certain my military experience is the reason why I was accepted into several schools where my LSAT was below 25% (around median GPA). Most of my LOR's came from the chain of command, and my personal statement was based on my time downrange. The veteran advantage is real and everyone here should use it in their applications.

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:35 pm

uvandy wrote:As an update, my cycle is complete and I am certain my military experience is the reason why I was accepted into several schools where my LSAT was below 25% (around median GPA). Most of my LOR's came from the chain of command, and my personal statement was based on my time downrange. The veteran advantage is real and everyone here should use it in their applications.
That's great to hear! During my cycle I got into several teir two's and a few tier one's (all the way into thor lower T14), which were all near or outside my numbers. I ultimately went to a tier three for personal reasons, crazy I know, but my situation is very unique. I would encourage every veteran to apply to any school that is free with the gi bill, even if outside their numbers. The way I look at it, I spent $800 on applications but I have ZERO debt from law school. Why not spend a little to see exactly what your options are whe this will be your only expense in three years!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun May 18, 2014 11:02 pm

paul554 wrote:
uvandy wrote:As an update, my cycle is complete and I am certain my military experience is the reason why I was accepted into several schools where my LSAT was below 25% (around median GPA). Most of my LOR's came from the chain of command, and my personal statement was based on my time downrange. The veteran advantage is real and everyone here should use it in their applications.
That's great to hear! During my cycle I got into several teir two's and a few tier one's (all the way into thor lower T14), which were all near or outside my numbers. I ultimately went to a tier three for personal reasons, crazy I know, but my situation is very unique. I would encourage every veteran to apply to any school that is free with the gi bill, even if outside their numbers. The way I look at it, I spent $800 on applications but I have ZERO debt from law school. Why not spend a little to see exactly what your options are whe this will be your only expense in three years!
I am glad to hear that your cycle provided you with a number of options to choose from, and I wish you the best of luck on the path that you have chosen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Fri May 23, 2014 11:29 pm

Due to a TDY I have been forced to reschedule my LSAT until September. No big deal, however now this messes with my early decision application plans. I had planned on applying ED to UVA...waiting the 15 days to find out, and if not picked up applying to UT Austin ED. Now it seems like I will most likely only get one shot at EDing to a school. Assuming I score well enough on the LSAT...

Does UVA give me a better shot at Texas big law compared to UT Austin? (Texas would be my number one destination, close enough to home but far enough away that the in-laws still have to call. Not to mention the cost of living...)

I'm a AA male, 3 years TIS, family of four, 100% GI Bill eligible.

The only difference in financials would be that UT would pay a 10k annual housing stipend. (Assuming neither school offers me a scholarship that I can negotiate them to class for housing.)

Magical Trevor

Bronze

Post by Magical Trevor » Sat May 24, 2014 1:42 am

If you really want to work in Texas, go to UT. That being said, I think both UVA and UT are tuition free for vets so if UT will give you a housing stipend in addition to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, then you would be crazy not to go there.

Study your ass off and knock the LSAT out of the park and you are golden like a shower if you have a reasonable GPA.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat May 24, 2014 8:19 am

I faced a similar decision and ended up EDing to UT, mostly because I have family/personal reasons for being in TX during school and not just afterwards.

UVA does put a much larger portion of its class into biglaw/A3 clerkships (63%, vs 43% for UT), so it's possible that even TX firms might go lower in the class for UVA students compared to UT students, but since the GI Bill basically means I'm "playing with house money", I decided to take the chance.

Keep in mind that the $10k/year housing stipend for applying ED to Texas is only for Texas residents. The non-resident ED incentive is that you get in-state tuition rather than out-of-state, which wouldn't be much of a bonus for most veterans, since anyone attending Texas under the GI Bill gets in-state tuition anyway.

Magical Trevor

Bronze

Post by Magical Trevor » Sat May 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Good to know about the $10k stipend, thanks for the info.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”