Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
californihuh

New

Re: ITT: Military Veterans

Post by californihuh » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:16 pm

bump.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-marine-ve ... 56828.html

Dunno if this was considered safe. Sounds more like an instinctive Hollywood reaction to me. Maybe the medics can provide input.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:19 pm

to get back to the purpose of this thread, as of the last day in 2011, my numbers got me in at:

GULC
GW
UMinn w/ 23k/yr
BC
W&M
CU-Boulder

LSP had me at a:

GULC - 15% DENY
GW - 48% CONSIDER
UMINN - 52% CONSIDER
BC - 46% CONSIDER
WM - 49% CONSIDER
CU - 62% CONSIDER

I still have quite a few applications that are pending decisions. I also received a deferral from EA to RD from Cornell and a deferral from ED to RD from Columbia (that was a last second decision based on some correspondence I had with current veteran students and the admissions office about how much they love the military. I figure that would have been about as much of a reach as I could wildly dream of)

Since I am applying on heavy softs aside from just being a veteran (disabled vet, SS, BS, infantry officer and all that hooah stuff that goes with it), I was expecting more or less to be kept until the tail end of the applicants for a real decision anyway, since I figure by that point, the medians will be set and they will know what they can accept in the way of unique flower candidates.

And FWIW, I am really glad scrabble champ pulled out of the race and into U of M. Not that I wouldn't love to go there, but I feel like he was cramping up on my appeal. There can't be too many applicants out there with those rare valor awards, if LS's even know what they are, but dude your numbers made you unstoppable. Congrats on a well deserved awesome cycle, perhaps it ended too soon but I couldn't be happier for you since you seem like you are right where you want to be.

At this point, GULC is an obvious strong contender for my seat. I am using the vocational rehab option, so I won't be paying for school at all since I am an MEB, and the army feels compelled to pick up the slack for my career transition. Which is nice, because I can get them to also buy me almost everything along the way at the end of LS like a legal library or whatever. Plus, I think GULC might beat out some of the "better ranked" options for transitioning into federal service/clerking comparatively My research on clerk addict or whatever showed them clearly trailing behind H and Y, but right up there with every other school ranked 10 spots higher, even for supreme court clerkships. So, with school being free and getting basically more than my current O3 base pay while in law school, I think I can stomach living in DC for three years.

So thats where I am at, as of the last day in 2011. I take the GMAT in a week and will decide if maybe that is a better option in the interim as well, though since it is already more or less too late to really apply to the only B-schools I would go to (HSW), with a heavy preference for H for not just prestige reasons, but since from what I have heard, they are more general management and team building oriented than say, S which is rife with silicon valley business culture or Wharton which is finance heavy. MBA decisions on where to go definitely require a much higher degree of specificity than do/did JD decisions. At least so it seems from a cursory glance. And it really is nice to think that they value military experience, more so than do LS's

That said, if I do well on the GMAT and think I can get it around competitive for HSW or really any of the M7 since you apply mostly on your resume anyway, my plan may become to take a year off and reapply next year. I found some awesome jobs that cater very well to transitioning combat arms vets, paying 225k for about 9 months work in the U.A.E. What is nice about them is that they are NOT going away because of the ending of the GWOT, since the positions are essentially advising and training "security forces" throughout the U.A.E. on how to...... pull.. security.... something we are all probably well enough qualified to do. This is also because my wife is deploying in 3 months until 2013 and I figure it might be nice to be able to do that move together. Not to mention to 225k. I would hope in the interim, should I go down that route, to just crush my soul studying while my wife is away for June 2012 LSAT, retake my 167, and hope to push it above or at the medians for the top schools. Big downside thoough would be, I would pretty much have to cast off whatever acceptances I get this cycle. Best case scenario though would be to back door a great B school to their L school after a year off working, then applying.

Or I may very well just be happy with GULC. I am kind of hoping a few more reaches pull through, just so I can really weight my options. But we will see. Anyway, thats where I am at. I am curious to hear where all our other vet applicants for this cycle are at. Please update us at your leisure, as the hopes for this thread were to give future veteran applicants a good idea of wha kind of boost they were looking at, at different schools.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:19 pm

Dbl post
Last edited by EMZE on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:32 pm

Great news about the acceptance to GULC. Sounds like that job in the UAE would be pretty sweet. More than a few of my friends have pulled gigs like that and loved it.

I think waiting a year to bust out a better LSAT would not be a terrible decisions, at the same time a free ride to GULC is nothing to sneer at.

I'm fairly sure that everyone knows this already: in at UVA via ED.

ThomasMN

Bronze

Post by ThomasMN » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:35 pm

I will say that I almost regret the ED as looking at the cycle I would have most certainly gotten in at UVA and a few other top schools RD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:53 pm

Yeah. It's a bit of a tough spot. I don't know if I can really stomach a third LSAT though. I don't doubt ability when it comes to improving a 167, I just feel "over" it, ya know? Only so much more I can stomach, and for what? My GPA may well keep me out of T6 no matter what, and I don't know that there is a school from 7-14 I would pick over GULC anyway.

There's still a few more months in the cycle, so we'll see how it goes. Unfortunately, my personality is such that I don't think I'd be happy short of H or Y.

Hope that doesn't sound too whiny. I just wish LS gave that same level of benefit to maturity and experience that B school does.

ArmyOfficer

New

Post by ArmyOfficer » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:54 pm

My update, got picked up for FLEP - very excited - now trying to decide where to go.

Already got into W&M, WUSTL, and Indiana-Bloomington. Have had a pending application at UVA since the end of October and just sent one into Notre Dame.

FLEP is capping around $30k this year. W&M I can get in-state tuition as active duty military, they gave me no money, I think it was because they knew the government would pick up the tab if I go there. Indiana gave me full out of state tuition. Still waiting on scholarship info from WUSTL. Need about $15k a year to get under the cap. Not hopeful that even if I get into UVA they will give me enough money to allow me to go there.

I would prefer to go to WUSTL, apparently they are releasing scholarship info until February. After that would probably prefer to go to W&M. I think it is a better school than Indiana. They seem to know the FLEP program as well.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:39 pm

ArmyOfficer wrote:My update, got picked up for FLEP - very excited - now trying to decide where to go.

Already got into W&M, WUSTL, and Indiana-Bloomington. Have had a pending application at UVA since the end of October and just sent one into Notre Dame.

FLEP is capping around $30k this year. W&M I can get in-state tuition as active duty military, they gave me no money, I think it was because they knew the government would pick up the tab if I go there. Indiana gave me full out of state tuition. Still waiting on scholarship info from WUSTL. Need about $15k a year to get under the cap. Not hopeful that even if I get into UVA they will give me enough money to allow me to go there.

I would prefer to go to WUSTL, apparently they are releasing scholarship info until February. After that would probably prefer to go to W&M. I think it is a better school than Indiana. They seem to know the FLEP program as well.

Not positive on this, but I was under the impression that if you attend a law school through FLEP, that whole in state tuition thing is as easy as changing your LES state of residence aka as easy as providing your prospective address while in school.

I have a real good friend who is doing FLEP right now at W&M, currently a 1L. I can pass along any questions you might have if you would like. Though, your post SJA might be your best bet, since I am sure you guys are now best buds since you are a FLEPper

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:39 pm

double post. damn iPad for Christmas and I still don't know how to use it right...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cravin

New

Post by Cravin » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 am

Has anyone heard if there is any talk of Columbia or NYU is planning on raising their YRP contribution anytime soon? Or do they typically find another way to help make up the difference for vets?

Along these lines, I have a vet friend at Stanford. Although their YRP doesn't quite meet full tuition, he tells me every vet he knows of has recieved a grant in a high enough amount to make up the difference. So if anyone has the bad fortune to be struggling with the H v S decision, the money seems to be even.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:30 am

Cravin wrote:Has anyone heard if there is any talk of Columbia or NYU is planning on raising their YRP contribution anytime soon? Or do they typically find another way to help make up the difference for vets?

Along these lines, I have a vet friend at Stanford. Although their YRP doesn't quite meet full tuition, he tells me every vet he knows of has recieved a grant in a high enough amount to make up the difference. So if anyone has the bad fortune to be struggling with the H v S decision, the money seems to be even.
I did not know this. I eliminated S and this was part of the reason. Had I known they would have given all vets a grant that might have changed things.

NavyLaw

New

Post by NavyLaw » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:47 am

In at GULC (part time) and will be going there unless by some act of god I get into Harvard. I'll be going while staying at my current duty station as a civilian. So with the GI bill help and BAH towards tuition, it should be close to a full ride.

Its hard to tell if I've out performed my numbers since I only applied part time. Also in at W&M and Mason, with no news from all the other T-14 I've applied to.

Best of luck everyone.

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:13 am

Congrats bro! That's excellent news! Any word on GW for IP?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:05 pm

I'm filling out Need Access now. Is there no place to declare GI Bill benefits?

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:55 pm

ArmyOfficer wrote:My update, got picked up for FLEP - very excited - now trying to decide where to go.

Congrats!

But I have to say, I'm jealous they're capping you guys at $30k. Obviously they're flush with cash this year. ;) When I was going through this process, schools were fairly easy to work with if you demonstrated a desire to go there. My school originally offered me nothing, but after repeated phone conversations with various deans, they came through with the tuition necessary to fill the gap (and my cap was $20k, so it was a BIG GAP). If WUSTL is your first choice, tell them, and then keep telling them. On the phone or in person, if you can.

ArmyOfficer

New

Post by ArmyOfficer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Paichka wrote:

Congrats!

But I have to say, I'm jealous they're capping you guys at $30k. Obviously they're flush with cash this year. ;) When I was going through this process, schools were fairly easy to work with if you demonstrated a desire to go there. My school originally offered me nothing, but after repeated phone conversations with various deans, they came through with the tuition necessary to fill the gap (and my cap was $20k, so it was a BIG GAP). If WUSTL is your first choice, tell them, and then keep telling them. On the phone or in person, if you can.

Thanks. I realize we are lucky - it is great they upped the cap this year. My only hope is they don't make me go to Indiana since I got a full scholarship. I would rather go to WUSTL or W&M.

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:57 am

They won't make you go to any one particular school. If that was the case, they would have made me go to W&M or Georgia. You pick any school that you can get into that will also give you a break on tuition to meet the cap set by the Army.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GreentoJD

New

Post by GreentoJD » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Last edited by GreentoJD on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

hewhoshallnotbenamed

New

Post by hewhoshallnotbenamed » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:01 am

Hey all, I'm enlisting in the Army this year, and was wondering if all military experience is treated the same... I read in an earlier post that for example, going to the RoK wouldn't do anything to really set me apart from anyone without military experience. Is this true? Is combat experience really the only type that receives this perceived small boost when it comes to admissions for schools who are known for showing military preference (UVA, Michigan, etc.)? Thanks!

californihuh

New

Post by californihuh » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:51 am

hewhoshallnotbenamed wrote:Hey all, I'm enlisting in the Army this year, and was wondering if all military experience is treated the same... I read in an earlier post that for example, going to the RoK wouldn't do anything to really set me apart from anyone without military experience. Is this true? Is combat experience really the only type that receives this perceived small boost when it comes to admissions for schools who are known for showing military preference (UVA, Michigan, etc.)? Thanks!
I'm going to take a wild guess here...

Are you a Korean male trying to get out of mandatory RoK duty by joining the U.S. Army?

:mrgreen:

hewhoshallnotbenamed

New

Post by hewhoshallnotbenamed » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Close, but no cigar. Korean American (U.S. citizen), but want to serve in the military...
californihuh wrote:
hewhoshallnotbenamed wrote:Hey all, I'm enlisting in the Army this year, and was wondering if all military experience is treated the same... I read in an earlier post that for example, going to the RoK wouldn't do anything to really set me apart from anyone without military experience. Is this true? Is combat experience really the only type that receives this perceived small boost when it comes to admissions for schools who are known for showing military preference (UVA, Michigan, etc.)? Thanks!
I'm going to take a wild guess here...

Are you a Korean male trying to get out of mandatory RoK duty by joining the U.S. Army?

:mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:41 pm

For Michigan, it's more about the leadership and what assignments you had while in.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:43 pm

EMZE wrote: Commissioned from West Point '07 (Co. E-4 if anyone else is a pointer)
what'd you do firstie summer? i was a new cadet :P

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 am

Beast 1 company xo i.e. cadet in the read sash for E co

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:24 am

EMZE wrote:Beast 1 company xo i.e. cadet in the read sash for E co
good times. i was in C-1 as a plebe but i had a bunch of friends in E-4, like Hammett :/ (from the debate team)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”