Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
haus

Gold

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by haus » Sat May 16, 2015 1:01 pm

bberry32 wrote:I actually really like that NU dual option. But I hear that the GMAT is worse than the LSAT. Does anyone have a running list of what top schools have application fee waivers for veterans? I also read a couple comments about a spread sheet regarding military benefits at these schools. Can someone please hook me up with that? Trying to figure all this shit out and compare them against each other is killing me. Thanks.
There was a list further up in this thread for schools that gave app fee waivers for veterans (when asked). Generally speaking, I do not see any harm in asking any school you are contemplating an application for.

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:29 pm

That spreadsheet is super helpful. I found the waiver list on page one and the updated mentions on page 54, i just didnt know if someone found an inclusive list of schools who have approved fee waivers for vets to go with the yellow ribbon spreadsheet for 2014-2015. Thanks again for the help. This thread is the best application resource I have found so far.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun May 17, 2015 4:59 am

For anyone who was eligible to have the government ship your household goods after separation/retirement, did you request to have your shipping entitlement extended so that you you didn't have to use it within the normal time period after getting out?

The original information I was given was that I could extend the entitlement for up to six years post-retirement while I'm in school, but now I'm finding out that the "standard" extension for schooling is only one year (for a total of two years between retirement and having to move), and anything beyond that involves more paperwork, dealing with the Bureau for Correction of Naval Records, and basically having to plead my case that a further extension is justified/equitable/etc.

FearTheBeard86

New

What are my chances this fall?

Post by FearTheBeard86 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:18 am

Hi all!

I am an 8 year Navy veteran (5 years sea duty with helos and 3 years shore as a weapons instructor) and I am entering my senior year at a great private university in Boston. I'm taking the LSAT in October and will be applying to law school as soon as my score is out. I just wanted to see what you all thought my chances were if I do well on the LSAT This October. I'm applying to T14 but ideally I want HLS, YLS, or Columbia. I am taking the Kaplan prep class this summer to prepare. I transferred from a community college with a near 4.0 and have a 3.52 currently at my school (GPA didn't transfer with credits) and I'm expecting to apply with. 3.6+ once the LSAC gets my transcripts. I'm double majoring in Poli Sci, International Relations, and minoring in History. I am also writing an Honors IR thesis this year and am expecting to be on the Dean's List after this past semester (3 A's, 2 A-'s for a 3.88 semester). I've Interned with Congressmen, studied abroad and interned in Geneva, and have been published in a few journals and magazines. Do I still need a 170+ LSAT? Sorry for the huge paragraph! I'm trying to plan ahead for how much stress to induce myself with when the LSAT approaches. Thanks!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Re: What are my chances this fall?

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri May 22, 2015 2:24 am

FearTheBeard86 wrote:Hi all!

I am an 8 year Navy veteran (5 years sea duty with helos and 3 years shore as a weapons instructor) and I am entering my senior year at a great private university in Boston. I'm taking the LSAT in October and will be applying to law school as soon as my score is out. I just wanted to see what you all thought my chances were if I do well on the LSAT This October. I'm applying to T14 but ideally I want HLS, YLS, or Columbia. I am taking the Kaplan prep class this summer to prepare. I transferred from a community college with a near 4.0 and have a 3.52 currently at my school (GPA didn't transfer with credits) and I'm expecting to apply with. 3.6+ once the LSAC gets my transcripts. I'm double majoring in Poli Sci, International Relations, and minoring in History. I am also writing an Honors IR thesis this year and am expecting to be on the Dean's List after this past semester (3 A's, 2 A-'s for a 3.88 semester). I've Interned with Congressmen, studied abroad and interned in Geneva, and have been published in a few journals and magazines. Do I still need a 170+ LSAT? Sorry for the huge paragraph! I'm trying to plan ahead for how much stress to induce myself with when the LSAT approaches. Thanks!
First, the good news: your near 4.0 GPA from CC may not have transferred to your new school, but it will still count when LSAC calculates your GPA. Also, you have excellent softs.

That being said, you will still probably need a 170+ to get into the schools you're talking about. Softs are great, but schools still have to focus on their numbers. Still, you should outperform your numbers: hit a school's median with the LSAT and I'm guessing you're in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

storpappa

Silver

Post by storpappa » Fri May 22, 2015 7:12 am

Grats on having a plan and working on it. Another great resource is lawschoolnumbers. LSN will let you see self-reported (grin of salt warning) numbers on those admitted, denied or wait listed for several admissions cycles. It is not an all inclusive, but a sample. There are several predictor apps out there, but their numbers aren't updated. LSN lets you see historical and as people self-report, real time. Again, grain of salt warning.

Before you take the LSAT, make sure your practice tests have you scoring every time 170's. If the top end of the t14 is your goal, don't burn up an exam if youre not ready

good luck

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Fri May 22, 2015 11:12 am

FearTheBeard86 wrote:Do I still need a 170+ LSAT?
Remember when you were taking advancement exams in the Navy? Advancement quotas would go up and down - sometimes scoring a 55 would get you advanced and sometimes it wouldn't. But if you scored a 70+, it really didn't matter what the advancement numbers were, you were going to advance. I'd approach the LSAT the same way - you might get into one of those schools with a score below the median if you get lucky - but why leave any room for doubt - get that 170+ and make it virtually guaranteed you get into one of your top choices.

Ok, off my soapbox -old command master chief habits always die hard!

Oh and by the way, I had similar transfer GPAs, 3.46 and a 4.0. When I did the math, I figured I'd be around a 3.6 GPA. I ended up with a 3.75 after LSAC did their calculations - so you might be sitting a little higher than you think.
Last edited by navykev on Fri May 22, 2015 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

storpappa

Silver

Post by storpappa » Fri May 22, 2015 11:18 am

LSAC will gladly burn your gpa if you took afloat courses before getting your first bachelor. Be wary of sending them "extra" credit like A or C school equivelants if its not a core part of your degree. Sadly, if you already sent it to your undergrad school, its too late.

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Fri May 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Just wanted to share that I had a Marine buddy that I did my undergrad with that was hesitant to start his claim with the VA because he didn't want to deal with it. I finally convinced him about a year ago that it was a huge mistake and yesterday he got his rating; 80 %! He is applying next cycle and by then will be linked up with the Voc Rehab. Please guys/gals, you earned it, go get your rating, utilize voc rehab and do not pay crazy money for school (not to mention the medical, the compensation, and all the other things associated with your retirement).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FearTheBeard86

New

Post by FearTheBeard86 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:19 pm

storpappa wrote:LSAC will gladly burn your gpa if you took afloat courses before getting your first bachelor. Be wary of sending them "extra" credit like A or C school equivelants if its not a core part of your degree. Sadly, if you already sent it to your undergrad school, its too late.

Thanks for the advice guys! Luckily all my credits are from regular CCs and Universities so I should keep my whole GPA. Looks like I'll be sucking it up and studying for that 170+ LSAT this summer.

storpappa

Silver

Post by storpappa » Fri May 22, 2015 4:08 pm

My 1000th post in the thread that first got me to TLS

Hsve a great holiday weekend as we take a moment to remember those who didn't come home. They didn't go for a single person, to earn a medal or a bunch of yarn seen into a flag. They went so we could all have freedoms and Liberty. And we thank them for their sacrifice everyday we ensure all our fellow citizens have that Liberty

And to steal a great phrase that describes this thread

We don't leave our shipmates, sisters or brothers behind
Not on a jungle trail
Not on a desert trail
And not on a paper trail

lane

New

Post by lane » Thu May 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Definitely shoot as high as you can because that will significantly impact your scholarship offer in the T14. However, with those softs, you will likely get into some T14 schools even without a 170+. I did 5 years in the USMC as a cryptologic linguist (Korean and Pashto) and have no doubt that this played a factor in my admissions and subsequent scholarship offers. I got accepted to Georgetown and Northwestern and am waitlisted at Virginia with a 163/3.82, so it definitely can be done without a ridiculously high LSAT. Additionally, NU gave me a much larger scholarship than I had anticipated. Since I had no other way to pay for school, my GI Bill was mostly exhausted on my bachelor's degree. If you still have yours, then scholarships won't be as critical to you as they were for me. Nonetheless, if you're capable of scoring in the 170 range, then definitely do it.

dontrelent

New

Post by dontrelent » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:08 pm

lane wrote:

Definitely shoot as high as you can because that will significantly impact your scholarship offer in the T14. However, with those softs, you will likely get into some T14 schools even without a 170+. I did 5 years in the USMC as a cryptologic linguist (Korean and Pashto) and have no doubt that this played a factor in my admissions and subsequent scholarship offers. I got accepted to Georgetown and Northwestern and am waitlisted at Virginia with a 163/3.82, so it definitely can be done without a ridiculously high LSAT. Additionally, NU gave me a much larger scholarship than I had anticipated. Since I had no other way to pay for school, my GI Bill was mostly exhausted on my bachelor's degree. If you still have yours, then scholarships won't be as critical to you as they were for me. Nonetheless, if you're capable of scoring in the 170 range, then definitely do it.
Another DLI'er here! Did almost 9, Tagalog and Farsi, Army side. Glad to see another linguist doing well! I'm applying this fall for 2017 starting year. Any advice for talking about linguist experience in PS or DS (if DS is done)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:38 am

If I decide to attend a law school out of state, how early before orientation should I move to the area? I mean, I know how long I think I would need, but having never done this, there may be things that I'm not considering. Please let me know what types of issues yall have ran into moving to the areas of the different areas of the T14 schools. Thanks.

storpappa

Silver

Post by storpappa » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:45 am

Now, no later then July 15th,m you have to get housing in place for 8/1 ... Orientations start in August, not in Sept 1L

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:54 am

bberry32 wrote:If I decide to attend a law school out of state, how early before orientation should I move to the area? I mean, I know how long I think I would need, but having never done this, there may be things that I'm not considering. Please let me know what types of issues yall have ran into moving to the areas of the different areas of the T14 schools. Thanks.
I moved to Chicago about 2-3 days before orientation. Drove across the country for my final DITY move in a Budget truck over 3 days. I went hard for 24 hours setting up my place so I didn't perpetually live out of boxes. Then, I relaxed and waited for orientation.

There wasn't too much to consider, unless you're talking about moving somewhere and then looking for housing while you stay in a hotel or something. I wouldn't recommend that. Get all your ducks in a row (like ensuring the leasing office is ready with your keys), and get there with at least a 48 hour buffer before orientation. More is fine, but not really required.

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Thank you. Chicago is what I am most interested in. (NU early decision) Do you need a vehicle in Chicago, or is public trans sufficient?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:26 pm

bberry32 wrote:Thank you. Chicago is what I am most interested in. (NU early decision) Do you need a vehicle in Chicago, or is public trans sufficient?
You won't need a vehicle. I left my old beater car back where I lived before so I can have it for the summers. I have family drive it a couple times a week to keep it in shape! Public transpo is great in Chicago, and you'll have a pass for free rides while school is in. I've never lived in an urban area in my life and found it quite easy.

Also, PM me your details. I'm at NU and involved with the vets. I may or may not have talked to you at some point already! Either way, I'd definitely like to meet up before school starts if at all possible.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:52 pm

So can student loans be used in conjunction with the Post 9/11 GI Bill? I want to take a loan to cover any housing expenses that may pop up, shortfalls etc... After talking to financial aid at UT Austin they didn't really leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling. They pretty much said it would be tough to coordinate it and it may potentially be used for tuition, thus putting me in debt for money I didn't need/use.

Am I missing a magic phrase to make them understand what I'm trying to do?

bberry32

New

Post by bberry32 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:56 pm

I took student loans in undergrad along with post 9/11 and scholarships without an issue. Just accept the loans after your tuition is paid.

WMcGregs

New

Post by WMcGregs » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:16 am

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. I was an infantryman in the Marine Corps and got out as a Corporal and I did a combat deployment to Afghan in 2011. Before I joined I was irresponsible and had no desire to care about anything besides joining the military and I failed out of college which resulted in an awful GPA.

Right now I'm finishing my undergrad and maintaining a 3.9 gpa so after this fall semester I should have around a 2.8 GPA for LSAC. I live in the Atlanta area with 2 kids and I own a house in the area so I'm planning on attending one of the few law schools around here which are Georgia State, Emory, UGA (about an hour commute, but I think would be worth it), and John Marshall (I would most likely never even attend John Marshall due to awful ranking and high expenses). I am taking the LSAT in October and am studying HARD! What do you think my numbers would have to be on the LSAT to have a chance at UGA or GA State. I will be applying to Emory, but I think realistically, with my GPA, I will not be accepted. '

Thanks everyone for their service to our great nation!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:08 am

WMcGregs wrote:Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. I was an infantryman in the Marine Corps and got out as a Corporal and I did a combat deployment to Afghan in 2011. Before I joined I was irresponsible and had no desire to care about anything besides joining the military and I failed out of college which resulted in an awful GPA.

Right now I'm finishing my undergrad and maintaining a 3.9 gpa so after this fall semester I should have around a 2.8 GPA for LSAC. I live in the Atlanta area with 2 kids and I own a house in the area so I'm planning on attending one of the few law schools around here which are Georgia State, Emory, UGA (about an hour commute, but I think would be worth it), and John Marshall (I would most likely never even attend John Marshall due to awful ranking and high expenses). I am taking the LSAT in October and am studying HARD! What do you think my numbers would have to be on the LSAT to have a chance at UGA or GA State. I will be applying to Emory, but I think realistically, with my GPA, I will not be accepted. '

Thanks everyone for their service to our great nation!
I think everything hinges on your LSAT score. With a high enough score you could easily crack the T14. I think all those schools you've listed would give you a serious look with anything in the mid to upper 160 range and some with lower than that.
Last edited by navykev on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WMcGregs

New

Post by WMcGregs » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:24 am

I'm prepping hard for the test. I've never been this stressed for anything college related. I'm also a Deputy Sheriff so hopefully that can add another benefit to my application. I would really like to attend Emory, so hopefully I prepare enough for a good lsat.

mdubs314

New

Post by mdubs314 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:44 am

bberry32 wrote:Thank you everyone for the help. I didnt realize I could even consider places like NU, Chicago, or a NY school. Since my GI Bill will run out after 3 semesters, that means YRP will too. Do yall know of any scholarships specifically for vets, like the Tillman?
I know this is a late reply but...

do you have a 20%+ VA disability?

if so, vocational rehab would still pay your full 3-yr JD bill even though you only have 3 semesters of GI Bill benefits remaining. It's not something the VA advertises, and more than likely, the first time you talk to a VA rep they will tell you "no". You have to stick to your guns on why the JD (or JD/MBA) is the ONLY way you can reach your desired professional goals. Be ready to quote their regs to them. Once they know you won't go away, they will listen.

this is also a loophole for anyone that has the ability to transfer their GI Bill benefits while qualifying for Voc Rehab. The magic number of months i was told you need to keep is 4 months. So, transfer all your benefits to a dependent, but keep 4 months for yourself. Then you can use vocational rehab to fund the entire 3-year JD program.

BL: once you transfer your GI Bill benefits (even though you can still get online and transfer them back to yourself), those benefits no longer belong to you. That's why the VA can't touch them or force you to transfer them back to yourself.
Last edited by mdubs314 on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdubs314

New

Post by mdubs314 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:50 am

ScottRiqui wrote:For anyone who was eligible to have the government ship your household goods after separation/retirement, did you request to have your shipping entitlement extended so that you you didn't have to use it within the normal time period after getting out?

The original information I was given was that I could extend the entitlement for up to six years post-retirement while I'm in school, but now I'm finding out that the "standard" extension for schooling is only one year (for a total of two years between retirement and having to move), and anything beyond that involves more paperwork, dealing with the Bureau for Correction of Naval Records, and basically having to plead my case that a further extension is justified/equitable/etc.
the paperwork isn't bad. From what I'm told, it's takes either a few mouse clicks or one quick phone call. It's required every 10 months (don't quote me on that though). as long as you do it every 10 months, it's auto approved without needing to justify (again: so i'm told). If you miss the deadline though, it's gone forever.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”