Veterans Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: Veterans Thread

Post by bjsesq » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:24 pm

Cobretti wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Cobretti wrote:can confirm
Is he after my time? Not sure I've ever met the guy.
Aren't I after your time too? Didn't you graduate in 2013?
Yeah.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:32 pm

bjsesq wrote:Sadly, in the decade since I've been out, the ones who got the absolute worst of it never mention it. They just kill themselves.
the veteran suicide statistics are so terrifying... happens in the air force too

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:38 pm

bjsesq wrote: Sadly, in the decade since I've been out, the ones who got the absolute worst of it never mention it. They just kill themselves.
Exactly. People consider their service compared to those with whom they served closely. A combination of feeling lucky/guilty/ashamed/haunted/whatever other terrible things that lead to suicide doesn't lend itself to a "look at how awesome I am" conclusion.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 pm

Cobretti wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Sadly, in the decade since I've been out, the ones who got the absolute worst of it never mention it. They just kill themselves.
the veteran suicide statistics are so terrifying... happens in the air force too
Agree. Even the people who I was giving a little shit to before are at an increased risk when compared to the public at large. Forced solitude, among other things, while your world changes back at home probably has a something to do with it. Just no good all around.

Grunt2Grad

Bronze

Post by Grunt2Grad » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Anyone hear back from Tillman Scholars application? Got the email yesterday about moving on to the semi-final round of the selection process but not entirely sure what that means or how difficult it is to make it past the first cut. I hope all you guys are doing well. Easter Sunday was the 6 year anniversary of a very dark day in the box. It gets better every year. I imagine most of the vets here are in a better place than the majority of those contemplating suicide or any other harmful act but just in case there is one among us feel free to hit me up and talk any time. #followme (that is the most hooah I have been in about 8 years please forgive me)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Sadly, in the decade since I've been out, the ones who got the absolute worst of it never mention it. They just kill themselves.
There are some really tough ideas and emotions to reconcile, and its not like the whole town mobilized for the big one. The idea of life gets a little grey for some people; modern liberal and christian values don't really have much of an answer.

When I get poopy-pants about the "war" I just have a beer with some old German vets from WWII. Talk about some dudes that choked down a shit-sandwich..........

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:19 pm

I feel bad for the Nam vets. Just got shit on when they came back and that war got nasty. Most of the suicides currently going on are retiring nam vets.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:31 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
Sadly, in the decade since I've been out, the ones who got the absolute worst of it never mention it. They just kill themselves.
There are some really tough ideas and emotions to reconcile, and its not like the whole town mobilized for the big one. The idea of life gets a little grey for some people; modern liberal and christian values don't really have much of an answer.

When I get poopy-pants about the "war" I just have a beer with some old German vets from WWII. Talk about some dudes that choked down a shit-sandwich..........
So considering how few american WWII vets are alive I'm assuming these guys were actual hitler youth? Can't even imagine what they have to say.

And agree with Bjs, nam vets had it the worst without a doubt. The modern day jingoism in the US can be kind of terrifying, but at least we aren't spitting on vets anymore.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:44 pm

They are in their 80's and 90's (Wehrmacht) those Volksturm dudes could have been like, 10 when Berlin fell. But imagine spending like, 8 years fighting for a stupid cause, losing badly, getting sent to a Gulag for four or five years, and then having to find a place to live because your country doesn't exist anymore and your family is gone.

Fuuuuuuuuuddgggeeeee, thats like, Cooley at sticker below median, full loans.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Wipfelder wrote:Fuuuuuuuuuddgggeeeee, thats like, Cooley at sticker below median, full loans.
hahaha 180

but seriously, fucked up.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:51 pm

Wipfelder wrote:They are in their 80's and 90's (Wehrmacht) those Volksturm dudes could have been like, 10 when Berlin fell. But imagine spending like, 8 years fighting for a stupid cause, losing badly, getting sent to a Gulag for four or five years, and then having to find a place to live because your country doesn't exist anymore and your family is gone.

Fuuuuuuuuuddgggeeeee, thats like, Cooley at sticker below median, full loans.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:18 am

Wipfelder wrote:
usn26 wrote:Or maybe you're just awesome DiniMae. :lol:
Sounds about right.
Thanks guys :-)

storpappa

Silver

Post by storpappa » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:53 pm

Had a conversation a few weeks back with a school that said their merit award was unrestricted.
I emailed them to get a written confirmation, and got a call to "clarify"

They wanted to know my VA award type and amount, and if I was getting any other benefits.

I was informed that with 100% tuition and BAH, I would exceed their COA, and they would be most likely unable to award me any merit award. If upon final calculations of the exact amount paid by the VA there was a difference between COA and VA payments, they would issue the remaining amount.

That is restricted, which they admitted that yes it is. Their previous statement of unrestricted was in error. Even when we have the right terminology it is still good to double check especially if a merit award was thought to be "unrestricted" and it influences your decision where to attend to meet your financial obligations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:54 pm

storpappa wrote:Had a conversation a few weeks back with a school that said their merit award was unrestricted.
I emailed them to get a written confirmation, and got a call to "clarify"

They wanted to know my VA award type and amount, and if I was getting any other benefits.

I was informed that with 100% tuition and BAH, I would exceed their COA, and they would be most likely unable to award me any merit award. If upon final calculations of the exact amount paid by the VA there was a difference between COA and VA payments, they would issue the remaining amount.

That is restricted, which they admitted that yes it is. Their previous statement of unrestricted was in error. Even when we have the right terminology it is still good to double check especially if a merit award was thought to be "unrestricted" and it influences your decision where to attend to meet your financial obligations.
Good to know. Thank you.

mdubs314

New

Post by mdubs314 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:18 am

Long time lurker, first time poster:

I’m posting this for a friend who’s currently stationed in AFG. He’s in a tough spot with his LSAT score, and is planning to apply with his current score. (his numbers are at the bottom of this post)

I need help with advising him of his realistic:
a) Target schools (with his current LSAT)
b) Opportunities available to graduates of those schools
c) Chances of getting into a T14 school
d) Chances at getting into a T50 school
-----------
e) What concerns should he have with the schools that will accept him (if he applies with his current LSAT score)?
f) Assuming he lacks the ability to retest prior to the end of the next (2016) cycle, what else could someone—with a desire to get into politics—do with his GI Bill, and how could that person prepare for that opportunity over the next year while remaining on active duty status?
g) If he did decide to retest, what score (with a 135 on his LSAC record) would be needed in order to be accepted at a T14/T50 school?
-----------------
I’ve already conveyed my personal opinion to him, so I’ve left my personal bias out of this post.

His rundown:
- GPA: 3.5 (through correspondence from an online college)
- LSAT: 135 (6th percentile)
- 5-year Veteran
- URM

Thanks all! Once there are a few replies, I’ll direct him to this thread.
Last edited by mdubs314 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:32 am

^did he take th LSAT in Afghanistan?

For the love of God please retake! There are a lot of predatory schools out there, and he would be a prime target. He would probably get Savannah Law at sticker, and they would get his awesome GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon money.

Check out schools at Above The Law, Law School Numbers, and Law School Transperancy. Also, look at Savannahs (or similar schools') 509. You can google all that stuff easily. I think the word "dumpster fire" is used frequently on this site.

Final note, his benefits for school are a once in a lifetime opportunity, made possible by a hard-working and generous nation's tax dollars. Don't be a dick and waste that money with a 139. We are our own worst enemy sometimes.

mdubs314

New

Post by mdubs314 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:39 am

Wipfelder wrote:^did he take th LSAT in Afghanistan?
He took it overseas, but not while in AFG. He took it while preparing to deploy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

burner

New

Post by burner » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:44 am

mdubs314 wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster:

I’m posting this for a friend who’s currently stationed in AFG. He’s in a tough spot with his LSAT score, and is planning to apply with his current score. (his numbers are at the bottom of this post)

I need help with advising him of his realistic:
a) Target schools (with his current LSAT)
b) Opportunities available to graduates of those schools
c) Chances of getting into a T14 school
d) Chances at getting into a T50 school
-----------
f) What concerns should he have with the schools that will accept him (if he applies with his current LSAT score)?
g) Assuming he lacks the ability to retest prior to the end of the next (2016) cycle, what else could someone—with a desire to get into politics—do with his GI Bill, and how could that person prepare for that opportunity over the next year while remaining on active duty status?
h) If he did decide to retest, what score (with a 135 on his LSAC record) would be needed in order to be accepted at a T14/T50 school?
-----------------
I’ve already conveyed my personal opinion to him, so I’ve left my personal bias out of this post.

His rundown:
- GPA: 3.5 (through correspondence from an online college)
- LSAT: 135 (6th percentile)
- 5-year Veteran
- URM

Thanks all! Once there are a few replies, I’ll direct him to this thread, so please keep that in mind with the tone of your responses.
GPA is ok, but LSAT is very low. I don't think the online school will hurt, I go to LS with vets from an online college (due to military) and they do great. However, he has to sit out to retake. 135 is getting about 20 questions right on the LSAT. Needs at least a 150 to get into a T100 (considering softs and military boost). I'm assuming he has YRP, so with that the major hoop is just acceptance. He should not waste it on a T5 like Thomas Jefferson or whatever. Needs to sit out and retake, or just not go to law school (because remember, one has to pass the bar regardless of their acceptance). Answering your questions directly:
a) none worthy (please don't waste GI Bill on these diploma mills)
b) 0-10% likely (unless he knows someone to work for and just needs a J.D. and pass the bar)
c) none
d) none-5%, but realistically- none (unless he has a MOH/Navy Cross)
f) predatory, just want money. Won't pass the bar from these schools, no alumni network
g) Maybe a Master in Public Policy- but I suppose even better is to network, work for a political party/campaign
H) I think 150 baseline will get him into a T60 with the softs.

Good luck

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:11 am

If your friend wants a law degree to "get into politics" only--then this is a waste. He should start making a name for himself in his local community. Get involved by starting a small business, volunteer at schools, show up to city council meetings and become an advisor of anything after about a year of being active. Trust me, it's far easier to start becoming involved in local politics and climb your way that way then assume a law degree is the ticket. Politics at a low level is easy.

Pacman

New

Post by Pacman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:31 am

+1 to the last few responses regarding your friend's situation, so I'll try not to make this too redundant.

I'll add in that 135 sounds like little to no studying or other preparation was done and it was likely taken under extra stress in the runup to the deployment. Especially given the full rides you can get with the YRP to a lot of decent mid range schools (T30-T60) or so, the best thing to do is invest some money up front in either a bunch of test prep materials if he can study well on his own or a an online test prep company like Velocity or 7Sage. I personally use the latter and started during a deployment and have made significant improvements across all sections and would highly recommend it for the structure. The 500 bucks I dropped on their highest end package will be a great investment if it allows me to go to a T20 or T14 for free since I'd get almost a quarter million dollar education for that small investment (not including the blood/sweat/tears/etc. of military service). He has plenty of time to do that this cycle and doesn't need to sit anything out.

He could shoot for the December or even the October LSAT depending on his dedication. As previously mentioned, if he's doing it just for political capital then it's a bad idea, even for free, since he will likely be miserable and may not do well enough for it to matter. But if he really wants to be a lawyer then the investment of money and time for the LSAT should be no big deal. At this point I'd kill for that GPA, so there's no reason to waste it and give more money to the predatory diploma mills.

Finally, to rundown your a-g list specifically, here are my thoughts
a) There are no schools you should be targeting with that LSAT score because they are a waste of money
b) See a
c) None right now, retake the LSAT
d) See c
e) See a&b
f) No real reason he shouldn't be able to take another LSAT given that he took it in February at the lastes and is now deployed and given the current rotations I would expect him to return before December, or he can try to arrange an LSAT downrange. Otherwise if the politics thing is the main motivator, research MPA, MSIR, MPP or other programs if he wants to go the education route, if not just go out and become involved in his community like DiniMae said.
g) This can easily be figured out from any good Law School predictor, but he shouldn't be applying anywhere with less than a 150. At that point his decent GPA, URM status and other softs should help him crack the T50, and upwards of 160-165 might help him crack a low T14.

Also, make sure he files for his VA benefits to ensure he's 100% eligible, otherwise he'll miss out on YRP and throw away tens of thousands of dollars or more.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:21 am

Pacman wrote:+1 to the last few responses regarding your friend's situation, so I'll try not to make this too redundant.

I'll add in that 135 sounds like little to no studying or other preparation was done and it was likely taken under extra stress in the runup to the deployment. Especially given the full rides you can get with the YRP to a lot of decent mid range schools (T30-T60) or so, the best thing to do is invest some money up front in either a bunch of test prep materials if he can study well on his own or a an online test prep company like Velocity or 7Sage. I personally use the latter and started during a deployment and have made significant improvements across all sections and would highly recommend it for the structure. The 500 bucks I dropped on their highest end package will be a great investment if it allows me to go to a T20 or T14 for free since I'd get almost a quarter million dollar education for that small investment (not including the blood/sweat/tears/etc. of military service). He has plenty of time to do that this cycle and doesn't need to sit anything out.

He could shoot for the December or even the October LSAT depending on his dedication. As previously mentioned, if he's doing it just for political capital then it's a bad idea, even for free, since he will likely be miserable and may not do well enough for it to matter. But if he really wants to be a lawyer then the investment of money and time for the LSAT should be no big deal. At this point I'd kill for that GPA, so there's no reason to waste it and give more money to the predatory diploma mills.

Finally, to rundown your a-g list specifically, here are my thoughts
a) There are no schools you should be targeting with that LSAT score because they are a waste of money
b) See a
c) None right now, retake the LSAT
d) See c
e) See a&b
f) No real reason he shouldn't be able to take another LSAT given that he took it in February at the lastes and is now deployed and given the current rotations I would expect him to return before December, or he can try to arrange an LSAT downrange. Otherwise if the politics thing is the main motivator, research MPA, MSIR, MPP or other programs if he wants to go the education route, if not just go out and become involved in his community like DiniMae said.
g) This can easily be figured out from any good Law School predictor, but he shouldn't be applying anywhere with less than a 150. At that point his decent GPA, URM status and other softs should help him crack the T50, and upwards of 160-165 might help him crack a low T14.

Also, make sure he files for his VA benefits to ensure he's 100% eligible, otherwise he'll miss out on YRP and throw away tens of thousands of dollars or more.
+1

Im a dumb career enlisted guy with a crappy online degree and even I got in the 160s studying while deployed (thank god i downloaded all the 7Sage game vids). If he is seriously considering law school, he has to get that lsat score up. Whether he becomes a lawyer or politician, a score in the 160s will change his life (Vet/URM). Oh and lawyer politicians do one of two things - they go to a T14 school -- or they go to a home state law school. Both have their own political advantage.
Last edited by navykev on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:29 am

Got a question for my retired military brothers and sisters. So I got my first retirement check (surreal as hell) and paid for a year of Tricare Prime Medical and Tricare Dental. My question is: Will employers (govt, biglaw, pi gigs) bump up your base salary if you opt out of company medical/dental plans?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 am

navykev wrote:Got a question for my retired military brothers and sisters. So I got my first retirement check (surreal as hell) and paid for a year of Tricare Prime Medical and Tricare Dental. My question is: Will employers (govt, biglaw, pi gigs) bump up your base salary if you opt out of company medical/dental plans?
It doesn't hurt to ask. I asked and got a thoroughly comptroller-type answer about it not being possible administratively. Of all our good Firm benefits, medical is actually kind of weak, so the "employer contribution" wouldn't have mattered much in the paycheck anyway. The real benefit is paying less than $50/month for pretty kick ass family coverage under Tricare.

I opted to not sign up for Tricare Dental because it was far from a good deal in my area. So, I picked up the Firm's dental plan (lower cost to me, better coverage).

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:51 am

Rotor wrote:
navykev wrote:Got a question for my retired military brothers and sisters. So I got my first retirement check (surreal as hell) and paid for a year of Tricare Prime Medical and Tricare Dental. My question is: Will employers (govt, biglaw, pi gigs) bump up your base salary if you opt out of company medical/dental plans?
It doesn't hurt to ask. I asked and got a thoroughly comptroller-type answer about it not being possible administratively. Of all our good Firm benefits, medical is actually kind of weak, so the "employer contribution" wouldn't have mattered much in the paycheck anyway. The real benefit is paying less than $50/month for pretty kick ass family coverage under Tricare.

I opted to not sign up for Tricare Dental because it was far from a good deal in my area. So, I picked up the Firm's dental plan (lower cost, better coverage).
Thanks for the reply and good info. I was thinking the same thing for dental - funny that dental is more than medical. It's also funny how we take active duty benefits for granted until we have to start paying for them on the outside.

storpappa

Silver

Post by storpappa » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:25 am

Walking into the pier dental clinic at lunch and asking if they are busy and geting a monthly cleaning FTW.

On the CHAMPVA side, MetLife Dental is better then the private rate, but only so much. Most private dental plans are little more then prepayments for a benefit in 13 months. Better to put it in a mutual and pay as you go --- unless you have kids

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”