Seriously? Speeding tickets?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
leche

Seriously? Speeding tickets?

Postby leche » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Am I reading this correctly? For the University of Wisconsin you have to fill in the "yes" bubble on the C&F questions and explain a speeding ticket? It was four years ago. Come on.

Edit: The real reason for my post aside from complaining: is saying "I got a speeding ticket and I paid the fine" sufficient explanation?

lovejopd

Re: Seriously? Speeding tickets?

Postby lovejopd » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:20 pm

It is what it is. There's nothing you can do! :roll:

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:23 pm

leche wrote:Am I reading this correctly? For the University of Wisconsin you have to fill in the "yes" bubble on the C&F questions and explain a speeding ticket? It was four years ago. Come on.

Edit: The real reason for my post aside from complaining: is saying "I got a speeding ticket and I paid the fine" sufficient explanation?

Yup. I wonder if universities take into account that society has become a bit hyper-sensitive to violations, and what used to be no big deal is now grounds for essentially kicking kids in the balls.

Probably not.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:33 pm

leche wrote:The real reason for my post aside from complaining: is saying "I got a speeding ticket and I paid the fine" sufficient explanation?

Pretty much. Just describe roughly when and where this was, and that you shouldn't expect further violations in the future, or something to that effect.

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:22 pm

leche wrote:Am I reading this correctly? For the University of Wisconsin you have to fill in the "yes" bubble on the C&F questions and explain a speeding ticket? It was four years ago. Come on.

No.

I directly asked an admissions officer at UW this question. She said I needed to get a copy of my driving record, include it in the C&F addendum, and include the date, points added to DL, and fine.

slacker

Postby slacker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:33 pm

How many people actually apply where their number of speeding tickets and minor violations is something the university even has a concern about?

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:42 pm

slacker wrote:How many people actually apply where their number of speeding tickets and minor violations is something the university even has a concern about?

What number should that be? Triple digits? Double digits? 9? 8? 7?

I think it's a tad anal-retentive to require these as addenda. But I'm biased.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:56 pm

I feel the same way. I have a citation, and a ticket from a speed camera (that isn't on my driving record). I have been calling the DMV and courts to track them down. It's silly.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”