Fee waiver question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JGK

Fee waiver question

Postby JGK » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:11 pm

I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question:

After I receive an email from a school offering a fee waiver, is there anything more that I need to do to take advantage of that waiver? Other than fill out the application, of course.

For example, if school A sent me an email offering a fee waiver. Do I just need to go to LSAC and fill out the online application, and when the process finishes, I don't end up paying the $60-$75 fee?

I only ask because when I started applications to schools that have offered waivers through email, the fee is still there, and was wondering if I just need to wait until the end of the application to see that change to $0?

Thanks.

SnoDog

Re: Fee waiver question

Postby SnoDog » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:41 pm

From what I understand, there are a few ways that schools can grant you an application fee waiver.

1. They may have applied a fee waiver for you already without you being aware. Refer to: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129078

2. You may have also received a fee waiver directly from them granting you one upon request. If they did, they usually do this either by:

a) Providing you with a code that you enter in one of the final screens before checkout (in this option, yes you will still see the full application fee listed on your application until checkout, where the code will be activated as a coupon to remove the application fee)

b) They will ask for your LSAC # and will apply the fee waiver directly to your LSAC account through the system and let you know. This makes it similar to method 1 above, although I'm not sure if you will still see the application fee visible before checkout. Either way, your fee will be removed at/before final checkout.

So basically if you've requested a fee waiver and they replied saying they had granted you one, look for a code in the email. If they didn't give you one, then they most likely went with option b).

Hope this helps.

JGK

Re: Fee waiver question

Postby JGK » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks, that was helpful

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”