Does Re-Applying Hurt Your Chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
winning

Does Re-Applying Hurt Your Chances?

Postby winning » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm thinking about applying to schools with my current LSAT score this cycle and seeing where I get in and what type of money they offer. If I don't get in to a school that I want to go to or if I can't afford it based on the award I get, then I'll re-take the LSAT in June and re-apply next cycle. Does re-applying hurt one's chances of acceptance?

Kess

Re: Does Re-Applying Hurt Your Chances?

Postby Kess » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:36 am

I am thinking of doing the same and I heard that it might hurt you somewhat, but I, too, am wondering this.

winning

Postby winning » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:22 pm

bump

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:20 pm

I think it hurts at any schools you turned down for re-applying. From people I know who have redone it, schools they turned down before seem hesitant to admit them again or to do so with much money. However, this might be mitigated or not an issue at all if you apply back with score high enough. I also know of a poster who re-took in June, scored better, and suddenly got into schools off the waitlist with great money. So, there is value in retaking.

winning

Postby winning » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:56 am

acrossthelake wrote:I think it hurts at any schools you turned down for re-applying. From people I know who have redone it, schools they turned down before seem hesitant to admit them again or to do so with much money. However, this might be mitigated or not an issue at all if you apply back with score high enough. I also know of a poster who re-took in June, scored better, and suddenly got into schools off the waitlist with great money. So, there is value in retaking.

That's helpful. Sounds like I have to kill my re-take either way. Do you remember what school it was that let the poster in off the waitlist after the re-take?

winning

Postby winning » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:56 am

acrossthelake wrote:I think it hurts at any schools you turned down for re-applying. From people I know who have redone it, schools they turned down before seem hesitant to admit them again or to do so with much money. However, this might be mitigated or not an issue at all if you apply back with score high enough. I also know of a poster who re-took in June, scored better, and suddenly got into schools off the waitlist with great money. So, there is value in retaking.

That's helpful. Sounds like I have to kill my re-take either way. Do you remember what school it was that let the poster in off the waitlist after the re-take?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:26 am

winning wrote:

I do, but it's not my information to share. It's just an anecdote to keep in mind.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”