Full-time Employment?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsatcrazy

Full-time Employment?

Postby lsatcrazy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Many applications ask for "Total number of months of full-time work experience". Would a 40 hour per week internship count as Full-time? Earlier in the form, they are two separate choices...

Samara

Re: Full-time Employment?

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Many applications ask for "Total number of months of full-time work experience". Would a 40 hour per week internship count as Full-time? Earlier in the form, they are two separate choices...

"Full-time work experience" typically means post-graduate.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Samara wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Many applications ask for "Total number of months of full-time work experience". Would a 40 hour per week internship count as Full-time? Earlier in the form, they are two separate choices...

"Full-time work experience" typically means post-graduate.

I disagree... if you worked full-time while going to college, I'd include that in the calculation of months. The point of the question is to find out if you have real-world experience. Working while going to school, or working full-time during the summer, (as long as it is not at McDonald's), should qualify.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:02 pm

We have some differing opinions here...anyone else want to weigh in? Maybe I'll email one of the schools on Monday...

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Law schools aren't trying to trick you with the application questions. If they wanted to know your full-time, post-graduate work experience, they would word it as such. If it asks for full-time work experience, you should input any full-time work experience you have, as long as it is substantial (again, no McDonald's). For instance, I was in the military for 5 years prior to graduation... based on the previous poster's advice, I shouldn't include that on the app, which is asinine. If you have substantial, full-time work experience, include it. Or, don't. That field (the number of months) is not required. Just let you resume speak for itself.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:17 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Law schools aren't trying to trick you with the application questions. If they wanted to know your full-time, post-graduate work experience, they would word it as such. If it asks for full-time work experience, you should input any full-time work experience you have, as long as it is substantial (again, no McDonald's). For instance, I was in the military for 5 years prior to graduation... based on the previous poster's advice, I shouldn't include that on the app, which is asinine. If you have substantial, full-time work experience, include it. Or, don't. That field (the number of months) is not required. Just let you resume speak for itself.

Obviously, I was using post-graduate in operating under the assumption that the OP didn't work between HS and UG. So sorry for being asinine. :roll:

As for law schools using the term "post-graduate" you just demonstrated why that doesn't work. But your suggestion of "as long as it's substantial" is even more vague, so that's not really helpful either. In your words, if law schools wanted to know your full-time, substantial work experience, they would word it as such. Bottom line, put what you think is best and the resume will clear up any confusion.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Samara wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Law schools aren't trying to trick you with the application questions. If they wanted to know your full-time, post-graduate work experience, they would word it as such. If it asks for full-time work experience, you should input any full-time work experience you have, as long as it is substantial (again, no McDonald's). For instance, I was in the military for 5 years prior to graduation... based on the previous poster's advice, I shouldn't include that on the app, which is asinine. If you have substantial, full-time work experience, include it. Or, don't. That field (the number of months) is not required. Just let you resume speak for itself.

Obviously, I was using post-graduate in operating under the assumption that the OP didn't work between HS and UG. So sorry for being asinine. :roll:

As for law schools using the term "post-graduate" you just demonstrated why that doesn't work. But your suggestion of "as long as it's substantial" is even more vague, so that's not really helpful either. In your words, if law schools wanted to know your full-time, substantial work experience, they would word it as such. Bottom line, put what you think is best and the resume will clear up any confusion.

I'm not exactly sure where you made that obvious, but ok.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:40 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Samara wrote:

I'm not exactly sure where you made that obvious, but ok.

Ummm...you would be classified as a non-traditional student. You know what that means, right?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Samara wrote:Ummm...you would be classified as a non-traditional student. You know what that means, right?

I'm not tracking how my status as a non-trad has anything to do with your assertion that you made it obvious you were operating under the premise that OP had no work experience between HS and UG.

Either way, I think we are both getting at the same point... leave it up to your resume to clear up any issues, don't lie, hope for the best, and good luck. Right?

/cock size fight

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”